Author Topic: Official top 50 Van Halen songs thread!! (Countdown has begun!!)  (Read 27728 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Official top 50 Van Halen songs thread!! (Countdown has begun!!)
« Reply #630 on: May 10, 2022, 10:30:42 AM »
34. D.O.A. - I had at #38  A rewrite of "Summertime Blues"

Next thing you’re going to tell me is that The Number Of The Beast is a rewrite of When The Saints Go Marching In.

No, but "When It's Love" is "With A Little Help From My Friends" by the Beatles.    And "We're Not Gonna Take It" by Twisted Sister is a rewrite of "Oh Come All Ye Faithful".

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #631 on: May 10, 2022, 12:06:04 PM »
^
 :mehlin
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #632 on: May 10, 2022, 12:30:54 PM »
On Roth vs Hagar purely as vocalists: I expect more people think Hagar is "technically" the superior singer, but I'll take Dave's soulful baritone over Sammy's screeching any day.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #633 on: May 10, 2022, 12:47:13 PM »
On Roth vs Hagar purely as vocalists: I expect more people think Hagar is "technically" the superior singer, but I'll take Dave's soulful baritone over Sammy's screeching any day.

The thing is, they are very very different singers.  Sam can belt out high notes but his range isn't THAT broad; he's no Freddie Mercury.  The thing with Sam is his POWER.  Dave's got like five different voices in that mix, and I suppose it's like anything else, you have to like them, but I do.   Listen to Me Wise Magic.  I think that's a vocal tour de force, and I would have LOVED to have heard that from a 28 year old Roth.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #634 on: May 10, 2022, 03:53:42 PM »
Had DOA at 38.  Dream is Over was at 20 for me, really liked that one.  Jimmy just missed out on the 50.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #635 on: May 10, 2022, 04:00:01 PM »
30 (t) I’ll Wait
Appeared on 10 of 17  entrees
Top 10 finishes: 3
Highest Ranking: 7 (WilliamMunny)

I just missed being the high on this one, as I had it at 8.  This song is so awesome. Killer synths, great melodies, badass solo, and some killer drum fills that always make me want to air drum.  :metal :metal

30 (t) Jump
Appeared on 11 of 17  entrees
Top 10 finishes: 1
Highest Ranking: 7 (HOF)

I had I'll Wait as Not Rated. I kind of like I'll Wait, but it's just not strong enough to crack the Top 50.

I had Jump as Not Rated. I'm so glad this didn't end up higher. I thought this was a joke when it was released.

I remember MTV premiered the video at midnight on 1/1/84. I stayed at my grandmother's house so I could stay up and watch it. I should've just stayed home. What a disappointment.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #636 on: May 10, 2022, 04:04:03 PM »
I thought that it was fitting that today's two featured songs tied for their spot:

30 (t) I’ll Wait

I just missed being the high on this one, as I had it at 8.  This song is so awesome. Killer synths, great melodies, badass solo, and some killer drum fills that always make me want to air drum.  :metal :metal

30 (t) Jump

This one can be tough to rank, as I have heard it so many times, but it is still a damn good song, one I put at 25.  I get that others are sick of it, and I am sure the "we just wanna rock" VH fans in late '83 had conniptions when they heard this synth-driven single, but a good song is a good song.

Had I'll Wait at 13, really nice song, enjoyed it.  Jump came in at 47.  The solo section rips but the song certainly has overstayed its welcome over the years.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #637 on: May 10, 2022, 04:05:22 PM »
The best thing about Jump is Alex during the solo.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Realm

« Reply #638 on: May 10, 2022, 04:30:07 PM »

30 (t) I’ll Wait

30 (t) Jump

I'll Wait - ranked 16 for me. This is a great song, could have been higher.

Jump - I didn't rank Jump but of course it is an iconic VH song. I probably started off with it ranked around 25-30 but then I ended up dropping it off in the end.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #639 on: May 10, 2022, 04:37:20 PM »

Quick story related to this. I've spoken about (in the wrong thread) of how I once played Gene Simmons in a Kiss tribute band, well after that I played the bass in a rock cover band (Bon Jovi, VH, GnR etc..). One of the songs we played was Jump (on the bass I had the easy part). Anyway, over the years we had a few different drummers in the band and most of them really struggled to nail the solo section of Jump, occasionally it was embarrassingly bad. It is such a cool drum part but not that easy to get right (apparently)..

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #640 on: May 10, 2022, 04:47:20 PM »

Quick story related to this. I've spoken about (in the wrong thread) of how I once played Gene Simmons in a Kiss tribute band, well after that I played the bass in a rock cover band (Bon Jovi, VH, GnR etc..). One of the songs we played was Jump (on the bass I had the easy part). Anyway, over the years we had a few different drummers in the band and most of them really struggled to nail the solo section of Jump, occasionally it was embarrassingly bad. It is such a cool drum part but not that easy to get right (apparently)..

Yeah, it's a great part. That's an interesting story.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #641 on: May 10, 2022, 05:11:38 PM »
When Jump was released I think the only bands that I really liked and knew the albums were: Kiss, The Police, U2 and Duran Duran! So when I heard Jump for the first time, I didn’t have the reference of what VH should sound and I loved it like any other great pop/rock hit from the 80’s. By the way, the B side from the single was House of Pain and, at the time, I thought it awful!! :lol
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #642 on: May 10, 2022, 05:14:08 PM »
As it was basically my intro to VH, I will admit that 10-year old KevShmev thought Jump was totally badass the first time I saw it. And that video was so good.  And it is hard to pull off a video being that good when it it just the band on stage, but Roth was The Man when it came to videos in the mid 80s. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #643 on: May 10, 2022, 05:59:44 PM »
I remember MTV premiered the video at midnight on 1/1/84. I stayed at my grandmother's house so I could stay up and watch it. I should've just stayed home. What a disappointment.

I vividly recall that.  I was like...WHAT???  Just imagine if social media had existed back then!

Huh...I literally had never noticed the drum part until I just listened now.  VERY cool.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #644 on: May 10, 2022, 06:02:20 PM »
Paul, do you remember when they were on Rockline for the 1984 album? It was awful. I remember tuning in and all they did was hoot and holler through the whole thing. Nothing but noise.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #645 on: May 11, 2022, 06:17:19 AM »
Two from II today!  :metal

29 Beautiful Girls
Appeared on 12 of 17  entrees
Highest Ranking: 8  (Stadler)

This song just oozes summer.  Maybe it's the old Farley/Sandler SNL skit where it was featured that makes me think, but it just feels like a great sunny day tune. I had it at 46.

28 Somebody Get Me a Doctor
Appeared on 14 of 17  entrees
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 6  (devieira73)

I had this one a notch higher at 45, and it is one I sometimes forget about for some reason, but it's a heckuva song.  Interesting that the only time I saw it played was on the Cherone tour where Michael Anthony did the lead vocals.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: May 11, 2022, 06:40:02 AM »
Most of the songs from II made my Top 50.........Somebody Get Me A Doctor at #27 and Beautiful Girls at #34.  Cool music aside both have that cheeky sense of humour that I loved about this era of the band.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline HOF

« Reply #647 on: May 11, 2022, 07:07:53 AM »
Neither of these ranked for me, thought Beautiful Girls probably would have been in the next 10 songs or so.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #648 on: May 11, 2022, 07:34:17 AM »
Somebody Get Me a Doctor: the main riff of this song is so engaging... it's just a simple and accessible rock tune, but it's always immensely fun to me!!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #649 on: May 11, 2022, 07:47:25 AM »
Now we're talking. Starting to get to some really good songs here. Beautiful Girls ranked pretty high for me, don't know where though 'cause I can't find my list.  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #650 on: May 11, 2022, 07:52:15 AM »
29. Beautiful Girls.  I had it at #8.  I LOVE this song and in my opinion, this is Dave at his best.  I love that lyric.
28. Somebody Get Me A Doctor.  I had it at #45.  Solid deep track, the kind of thing that Van Halen could do in their sleep and still be better than 99% of other bands who were trying to be like them.

As for Jump, I don't get the ambivalence.  It's not the first song (or even first VH song) with keyboards.  Sure, it's a "single" but still.  I think it's excellent.  I also love how most guitar players dumb down the background for their solo sections but Eddie "makes" the band kick it up a notch, and STILL delivers a solo that most people familiar with the song can sing note for note from memory.  Love that guy more and more. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #651 on: May 11, 2022, 09:42:27 AM »
Paul, do you remember when they were on Rockline for the 1984 album? It was awful. I remember tuning in and all they did was hoot and holler through the whole thing. Nothing but noise.

Can't say I recall that one, but it doesn't surprise me in the slightest.  Bob Coburn was awesome, though!

Beautiful Girls is one of THE quintessential southern California summer beach songs.  Any time it comes on, it evokes such vivid memories.  Doctor...meh.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Realm

« Reply #652 on: May 11, 2022, 03:17:40 PM »

29 Beautiful Girls

Two really cool songs today.

Beautiful Girls - this was 40 me. Just a cool song, great vibe and swagger in this one. Solo is short and sweet, some cool bass playing too.

Somebody Get Me a Doctor - this was 44 for me. Never been the biggest fan of Dave's vocals on this one but the rest of the song is great.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #653 on: May 11, 2022, 03:31:33 PM »
29 Beautiful Girls

I had Beautiful Girls at #21. Great tune, especially in the summertime. Fond memories of us three 15 y/o's singing it all the way home from the 1984 concert after a few too many nips. Thankfully, my buddy's father had a few nips while waiting for us, so we didn't get busted.  :lol

I had Somebody Get Me A Doctor at #31. This song kicks ass.

Somebody Get Me a Doctor: the main riff of this song is so engaging...
Kicks you right in the nads.  :metal

Also is this the song so far that has appeared on the most lists so far? I ain't gonna lie. That kind of surprises me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #654 on: May 11, 2022, 04:19:46 PM »
Beautiful Girls just missed out for me.  Doctor came in at 35.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #655 on: May 11, 2022, 05:33:53 PM »

Also is this the song so far that has appeared on the most lists so far? I ain't gonna lie. That kind of surprises me.

Yes.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #656 on: May 11, 2022, 06:39:37 PM »

Yes.

That also surprises me. Did we actually end up with any songs that were on everyone's lists? I think it was 2 at one stage but not  sure if that remained after all lists were received.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #657 on: May 11, 2022, 09:27:58 PM »
I thought that it was fitting that today's two featured songs tied for their spot:

30 (t) I’ll Wait

30 (t) Jump

This one can be tough to rank, as I have heard it so many times, but it is still a damn good song, one I put at 25.  I get that others are sick of it, and I am sure the "we just wanna rock" VH fans in late '83 had conniptions when they heard this synth-driven single, but a good song is a good song.
I'll Wait - Almost had top spot with this one at #9. I love the way this song starts with the keyboards. Plus the various keyboards throughout are awesome. Alex is super solid throughout the song and Eddie comes in with a tasty solo. This is also some of the best vocal melodies of the DLR era.

Jump - This one just missed my list at #52. I think it suffers from the overplayed factor. Plus the lyrics are straight dumb. Great solo section though.

29 Beautiful Girls

This song just oozes summer.  Maybe it's the old Farley/Sandler SNL skit where it was featured that makes me think, but it just feels like a great sunny day tune. I had it at 46.

I had this one a notch higher at 45, and it is one I sometimes forget about for some reason, but it's a heckuva song.  Interesting that the only time I saw it played was on the Cherone tour where Michael Anthony did the lead vocals.
Beautiful Girls - Not the greatest song from VHII I had this at #72. This also suffers a bit from being overplayed, although not nearly as much as Jump. I really like Eddie's funky guitar playing on this song though.

Somebody Get Me a Doctor - This one snuck on my list at #43. This has some kick ass riffs and some more tolerable lyrics from Dave. Not the best song on II, but it's probably the 3rd or 4th best depending on my mood.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #658 on: May 12, 2022, 06:05:13 AM »
Here are today's songs!

27 Everybody Wants Some!!
Highest Ranking: 8  (Dream Team)

I had this at 43, and that extended intro is a big reason why.  The meat of the song is good, pretty standard every VH fare, but that intro elevates it.  I also love the urgency when the guitar solo kicks in.

26 Summer Nights
Appeared on 8 of 17  entrees
Highest Ranking: 2  (FreezingPoint)

This one placed at 37 for me. It's another one of those great summer night songs, which of course is quite fitting for obvious reasons.  Kind of reminds me of Priest's Night Comes Down with those "great to listen to when the sun is setting" opening chords.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #659 on: May 12, 2022, 06:07:14 AM »
Only 8 lists for Summer Nights? The people that like it must really like it for it to garner that many points.

My guess is that the 8 people that voted for it must’ve all had it at least Top 20? 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #660 on: May 12, 2022, 06:08:51 AM »
Yeah, five of the eight voters had Summer Nights in their top 20, and three had it in their top 7.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #661 on: May 12, 2022, 06:13:14 AM »
I had Summer Nights #52 and Everybody Wants Some #44.............both songs I like but never had on repeat.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #662 on: May 12, 2022, 07:05:49 AM »
Everybody Wants Some! is a little more special for me because the first time I heard it was when watching the movie Better Off Dead with that epic scene in the fry kitchen  :lol.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #663 on: May 12, 2022, 07:07:49 AM »
I love the tribal drum parts interacting with the guitar playing (and pausing) on Everybody Wants Some (#26), it's what makes the song really interesting.

Offline HOF

« Reply #664 on: May 12, 2022, 07:27:46 AM »
Everybody Wants some was off my list. In my initial ranker run through it was 65. Summer Nights was somewhere in my top 50 when I did the ranker but I ended up bumping it off. It’s more ok than great and there are just other songs I prefer. Surprised it finished this high really.