Author Topic: The plot thickens! (WTF is Jackie doing with her life pt. II)  (Read 1413 times)

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
The plot thickens! (WTF is Jackie doing with her life pt. II)
« on: September 21, 2011, 01:22:05 PM »
So many of you know how I've been flip-flopping about whether I want to stay in CO or go back to the east coast. I have family and friends in both places and whatnot, making it pretty complicated and sort of a win-lose situation no matter what I do. Many of you also know I have been in a long-distance relationship for over two years (and have been with Tony almost five) and we are sort of on a "break" right now because I dunno wtf I want. Well, new developments in the past week or two:

-A week or two ago, I was told my last day on the job (as an on-call hospice social worker) would be the 26th. I knew this was coming (they are changing the organizational structure) but didn't have an exact timeframe.

-Tony had a job interview out here in Boulder, but I told him I didn't want him to make any sacrifices for me since he had said he didn't want to come out here. I told him I wasn't sure what I wanted and needed some time to myself. In the week or so that we didn't really talk at all, he turned down the job here and took one in VT, so he is moving to VT I think next week.

-I have been considering moving back east yet again, possibly trying to set up interviews for when I go back there for my cousin's wedding next month... partially because of Tony, partially because of my friends and family there, partially because I miss the goddamn ocean, and on and on.

-Today, I find out my ex-supervisor (one of two full-time social workers at the hospice) is leaving October 5th. This opens up her position, which is essentially what I was doing before as an intern, only with a bigger caseload and full-time. She told the higher-ups that they should hire me if I want it.

Staying (provided I do get the job) means:
Making a lot more money, job security (we will always need at least two social workers), insurance and all that, getting much needed work experience (since many places won't hire those without a certain number of years)
but also means:
At least another year of being very far away from Tony, as well as all of the other people I love and care about on the east coast
Also, the climate of the organization is quite chaotic and always changing, which is usually okay but sometimes overwhelming when my own life is a mess, too. But as a whole I love the organization, believe in what they are doing, am totally in line with their values/mission, and have some awesome coworkers.

:dangerwillrobinson:
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Re: The plot thickens! (WTF is Jackie doing with her life pt. II)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 01:29:46 PM »
You should start looking for jobs near your BF in VT. You should also throw your hat in the ring for the job at your current company. See what develops. Sometimes these things just kind of work themselves out. You may not get the job with your current company and may find something out east, or it might work out the other way. As nice as it would be, you can't figure these things out in advance. Once you have a concrete job offer in hand at one place or another, then you can make a decision.

I feel your pain. Putting geographical distance between yourself and family/friends/etc makes every decision tough. I'm going to through similar issues, though thankfully my wife and kids are with me. I can't imagine doing the long distance relationship thing for as long as you have.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 01:31:06 PM »
Man, that's a lot of crap to sort through, but good stuff.  I wish you luck in your decision, and am sure you will find the right path for your life.  You got a great head on your shoulders(and a cute one to boot), and are in tune with your feelings(it seems, fuck who really is :\ ), so I think you will do what is best.  Whatever you do, don't take our advice, otherwise you'll end up who the fuck knows where. ;)

I must say that if the supervisor position is a rare opportunity to have, give that some thought, sometimes doors like that only open a few times in our lives, especially if you are all ready known for quality work.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 03:10:03 PM »
Ditto what lonestar said Jackie. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 03:19:39 PM »
You know when I saw Tony got a job in VT, my first thought was, "Now I'll get to meet Jackie!", then I remembered the piddly state is what you meant and I got  :sadpanda:.

But in general, what the others have said, knock on all doors, kick a few down, and barge into the one you like the most.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 03:25:49 PM »
Use your upcoming time off to do things that make you happy right now.  Get drunk.  Get laid.  Enjoy a week or two of FTW abandon.  Only after that, give thought to what it is that you want to do for the rest of your life.  Fresh perspective will probably make it a much simpler decision than you think.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 04:10:25 PM »
We've discussed this already.
Good luck to Tony.
And
Congrats on your new job.
I have no doubt you'll get it.

Life.
Begin living it for you.
Not for others.

(hugs)
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 04:22:19 PM »
You seem to be doing a better job at the post college life than I'm betting I will in 10 years, if that's encouraging at all.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 11:02:35 PM »
 :lol, I love you guys.

Just to clarify, the job opening is not a supervisor position. This woman was my MSW supervisor when I was getting my degree but she is just the social worker for the south team patients... so I would just be taking on her caseload and anyone else who gets signed on. Like I said, doing what I was doing before but more people. The job has its ups and downs for sure but I do love connecting with patients and not just seeing them dead like I do now  :lol

I have already decided that if I DO move back east it won't be until November (I have tickets for Opeth at the end of October), so I have a feeling job searching over there right now won't be too helpful. However, I do plan to apply for this hospice position and see what happens. I have to work on the resume a bit before I send it...

Use your upcoming time off to do things that make you happy right now.  Get drunk.  Get laid.  Enjoy a week or two of FTW abandon.  Only after that, give thought to what it is that you want to do for the rest of your life.  Fresh perspective will probably make it a much simpler decision than you think.

This is my favorite post ever. I sort of was doing that for a while... but I still have my other job to keep me from having THAT much fun. I wanted to take that road trip in October still but this could mess with that. We'll see.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 05:10:52 AM »
Eek. Sorry to hear about you and Tony being on a break. But it looks like despite all that you guys are still important to each other and trying to work out the kinks. That's OK. Sometimes we have to sacrifice what we what now so we can be in a better position later.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 08:31:22 AM »
Thanks  :D

My resume is done; gonna send it to HR in a minute!

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 08:39:42 AM »
you trust anyone enough from the board to proof read it for you?

there are probably better than me...I'm just saying another set of eyes never hurts.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 12:10:42 PM »
you trust anyone enough from the board to proof read it for you?
I vote Harry do it.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 12:23:58 PM »
 :lol

I'm not too worried about it; I'm awesome at proofreading and I left it overnight to sit. I don't have a lot of work experience but the most important part to me was emphasizing what I have done at this organization over the past year, which I think I did a good job of. I'm sure they will interview me, and when they do I will remind them that I am already trained for the job, already have relationships with all the team members I'd be working with, and know some of the patients I will be taking on. And those patients love me, so yeah.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 01:03:50 PM »
I'm sure things will work out with whatever you choose Jackie. There are strengths to both ideas that will help you. And although I'd love to have you back on the east coast at the end of the day you have to do what makes you the happiest. I mean obviously for it to work with Tony you know where you have to move, but if you want a good job and security you know you have to stay. Just kinda gotta think through it. Hoping for the best either way.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 11:38:18 PM »

Will let y'all know when I hear back from the hospice peoples.

Just told Tony about the job thing. He was sort of disappointed in the possibility of my not coming back east but he gets it.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 06:04:02 AM »
^^ya?^^

Like you were disappointed about learning he was staying east (VT)

You're both living your lives for the greater good of own individuality.
And you have to.
This is your career choice.
This is how you make your living, build a solid base and move forward in life.

Nick went through this kinda thing a few years ago (I think) when he decided the Funeral Home Manager/Director thing was the best way forward for his life. And(to the best of my limited board knowledge) he's excelled and moved forward career wise. Has it cost him in his personal life....?...Maybe...he is still Nick after all.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2011, 11:36:50 PM »
 :lol
 :heart

You're right. I do believe that things will work out, whatever that means. If our relationship is strong enough, it will survive eventually. I will find a damn job eventually, even if this doesn't work out right now. I just have to deal with the fact that no matter what happens, no matter where I live or what I decide to do in my personal life, there will always be both gains and losses. Fuckin' life.