Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 255561 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)
« Reply #2555 on: November 25, 2020, 11:07:12 AM »
I envy all those who found Kylo's story and character engrossing. It did nothing for me.

Same. :hifive:

I wouldn't use the word 'engrossing'. For me, his character was more developed and had more layers than Rey's. And for me.....Ren/Ben was the only character that held the three films together and Adam Driver far and away delivered the best acting of the sequel series.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2556 on: November 27, 2020, 08:11:17 AM »
Without saying too much I’ll just say I think they handled this anticipated introduction of a beloved character about as good as they possibly could have.

Another good episode and I am very pleased.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2557 on: November 27, 2020, 09:47:28 AM »
Agreed. I'll wait until Monday to post spoilers and speculation.

The Mandalorian is quickly becoming one of my favorite shows of all time.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2558 on: November 27, 2020, 09:51:24 AM »
Great, great episode.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2559 on: November 27, 2020, 11:32:11 AM »
Outstanding stuff, so much to unpack, so much to build off of.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2560 on: November 27, 2020, 08:38:34 PM »
I'm so glad Dave Filoni wrote and directed that episode, it was entertaining through and through. What an intro scene that was! What an excellent stretch of episodes there have been. With 3 more episodes left I imagine the main storyline will converge and really can't wait.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2561 on: November 28, 2020, 08:56:38 AM »
 :omg:  My face when Ashoka asked the question "Where is <spoiler>?>

Makes me want to go back and read the trilogy (which I did in 1990 when it was released).  Still have the books in the cupboard right beside me.

Edit ... 1992.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 12:34:46 PM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2562 on: November 28, 2020, 08:58:23 AM »
Another great episode. When baby yoda responded to his real name, I melted! That was so cute.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2563 on: November 28, 2020, 10:19:25 AM »
:omg:  My face when Ashoka asked the question "Where is <spoiler>?>

Makes me want to go back and read the trilogy (which I did in 1990 when it was released).  Still have the books in the cupboard right beside me.

I'm sure we were all like that.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #2564 on: November 28, 2020, 10:23:16 AM »
Rey:  I hear you.  And I'm just going to have to disagree.  Yeah, her arc didn't feel "earned."  But, to me, it didn't need to.  I'll just leave it at that.

Yeah...I think we've talked about this before. I don't know....I'm not claiming to be 'right'....I just didn't connect with her at all. Cool character and it's not that I hated her....her story just didn't resonate with me like Ben/Ren's did. But whatevs....still a cool character....I'd actually love to see more of Rey now that her story isn't bound and limited by the OT.

And for the record.....I enjoyed the sequel trilogy as a whole as movies and entertainment. I just don't see how they'll ever reach the iconic status of the OT....not that then need to but I just think it was a big miss for Disney as I'm sure they were hoping for iconic status.

I'm probably just being cynical, but I'm not sure that SW movies will ever get to iconic status again. We've now had, what, eight live-action movies since the OT (?), and most of them have been rejected by large portions of the fanbase. The prequels were mocked for their acting, CGI, dialog, and pace. The sequels were mocked for having both too much and too little fan service, as well as their general indecisiveness. Then you have Rogue One, which I actually feel like people don't complain about all that much, and Solo, which a lot of people didn't even bother to see.

I think that the current situation is the result of [1] genuine screwups by the people in charge, and [2] insane expectations on the part of the fanbase that are sometimes not grounded in reality. I've had so many of conversations with people that went something like, "The sequels sucked because they just kept ripping off the original movies, because they never did anything with any of the characters, and because they were just plain dumb sometimes. Oh, and by the way, my favorite SW movie is Return of the Jedi." Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy Return of the Jedi, but if you can't find a single thing to criticize about that movie, then you've got blinders on. :lol

Unless they somehow get Denis Villeneuve to direct 10-12, with Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau as writers, I feel like we're just bound for more controversies, sadly. :'(
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2565 on: November 28, 2020, 11:30:52 AM »
Yoooo. New Mando RULES.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2566 on: November 28, 2020, 08:05:13 PM »
I’ve watched this episode four times. It’s remarkable how well Rosario Dawson captured Ahsoka’s mannerisms, the ‘way’ she speaks....it’s all there. It helps having Filoni as the director since he basically created the character.....but any of the nervousness I personally had about being able to transition Ahsoka to live action. It just makes me wish her series was ready to go like tomorrow. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2567 on: November 28, 2020, 08:06:12 PM »
I’ve watched this episode four times. It’s remarkable how well Rosario Dawson captured Ahsoka’s mannerisms, the ‘way’ she speaks....it’s all there. It helps having Filoni as the director since he basically created the character.....but any of the nervousness I personally had about being able to transition Ahsoka to live action. It just makes me wish her series was ready to go like tomorrow.

You and every other geek in the world  :lol

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2568 on: November 28, 2020, 08:19:12 PM »
Yeah I've seen that opening intro like 10 times. Such an amazing introduction. And I've not even seen the clone wars cartoons yet.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2569 on: November 28, 2020, 08:47:55 PM »

You and every other geek in the world  :lol

Yeah I've seen that opening intro like 10 times.

Makes me wonder if it'll be shared how many views this episode gets. I mean, rumor was Disney was curious to see fan reaction to a live action Ahsoka before they committed to her series. From everything I've read online it seems to be resoundingly positive. There were a few outliers on reddit that were screaming foul but I think that voice is small.

There's a 80% chance I'm going to watch it one more time tonight because like RJ said.....I'm a geek and am just stoked that they were able to pull this off.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2570 on: November 28, 2020, 09:26:14 PM »
Yeah, pretty much across the board it's being watched multiple times, at least in all the Mandalorian /Baby Yoda FB groups I'm in.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2571 on: November 29, 2020, 04:48:24 AM »
Yeah, pretty much across the board it's being watched multiple times, at least in all the Mandalorian /Baby Yoda FB groups I'm in.

Grogu.  Get it right.

When you look at the animated Ashoka (especially latter years), it's amazing how accurate they got the look of Rosario as Ashoka.  I mean, if we didn't know better, ya'd swear the animation was based off of Rosario's look.  Truly phenomenal.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2572 on: November 29, 2020, 07:29:43 AM »
^Ahsoka. Get it right!  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2574 on: November 29, 2020, 10:00:19 AM »

Grogu.  Get it right.

When you look at the animated Ashoka (especially latter years), it's amazing how accurate they got the look of Rosario as Ashoka.  I mean, if we didn't know better, ya'd swear the animation was based off of Rosario's look.  Truly phenomenal.

Funny you say that, there's actually a small scale freak out going on about his name in the same groups. It's fucking hysterical.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2575 on: November 29, 2020, 10:06:50 AM »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2577 on: November 29, 2020, 10:59:55 AM »
 :biggrin:

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2578 on: November 29, 2020, 03:10:28 PM »
Great episode!

But I’ll be honest, Filoni could’ve used a seasoned co-director to help. It was mostly good but a fair amount looked pretty rough or video game quality. Not really a big problem but I did notice quite a bit. But overall? Loved it. Excited for more!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2579 on: November 29, 2020, 04:11:49 PM »
David Prowse RIP..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2580 on: November 29, 2020, 06:31:02 PM »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2581 on: November 29, 2020, 08:45:59 PM »

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2582 on: November 29, 2020, 08:51:19 PM »
David Prowse RIP..

Indeed, RIP OG Vader.

Lol at lonestar.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2583 on: November 29, 2020, 08:57:53 PM »
Great episode!

But I’ll be honest, Filoni could’ve used a seasoned co-director to help. It was mostly good but a fair amount looked pretty rough or video game quality. Not really a big problem but I did notice quite a bit. But overall? Loved it. Excited for more!

Nah. The single most important thing for that episode was to transition Ashoka to live action without destroying the character and he nailed it. The gritty look was fine and worked perfectly.

I’m sure others caught the fact that Morai was there as well.....perched in a tree when they had that drawn out shot of Mando searching the burned out forest for Ashoka. And I love how Filoni used the Loth-cats running around the city when Ashoka’s question for the Magistrate was about Thrawn.....and Ezra was last seen with Thrawn and those Loth-cats and Ezra have a history. Very neat call back and tie in.

While I totally agree the look was there I never doubted they’d nail the look. That was the ‘easy’ part. I’m truly impressed at Dawson nailing her physical mannerisms like her walk, crossing her arms....her fighting stance and style....smile....it was all there. And more importantly the way Ashoka speaks and those intricacies were there. That had to be a tough thing to learn as Ashley Eckstein basically created that for Ashoka.....you can tell Dawson did her homework.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2584 on: November 30, 2020, 12:59:28 AM »
Rey:  I hear you.  And I'm just going to have to disagree.  Yeah, her arc didn't feel "earned."  But, to me, it didn't need to.  I'll just leave it at that.

Yeah...I think we've talked about this before. I don't know....I'm not claiming to be 'right'....I just didn't connect with her at all. Cool character and it's not that I hated her....her story just didn't resonate with me like Ben/Ren's did. But whatevs....still a cool character....I'd actually love to see more of Rey now that her story isn't bound and limited by the OT.

And for the record.....I enjoyed the sequel trilogy as a whole as movies and entertainment. I just don't see how they'll ever reach the iconic status of the OT....not that then need to but I just think it was a big miss for Disney as I'm sure they were hoping for iconic status.

I'm probably just being cynical, but I'm not sure that SW movies will ever get to iconic status again. We've now had, what, eight live-action movies since the OT (?), and most of them have been rejected by large portions of the fanbase. The prequels were mocked for their acting, CGI, dialog, and pace. The sequels were mocked for having both too much and too little fan service, as well as their general indecisiveness. Then you have Rogue One, which I actually feel like people don't complain about all that much, and Solo, which a lot of people didn't even bother to see.

I think that the current situation is the result of [1] genuine screwups by the people in charge, and [2] insane expectations on the part of the fanbase that are sometimes not grounded in reality. I've had so many of conversations with people that went something like, "The sequels sucked because they just kept ripping off the original movies, because they never did anything with any of the characters, and because they were just plain dumb sometimes. Oh, and by the way, my favorite SW movie is Return of the Jedi." Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy Return of the Jedi, but if you can't find a single thing to criticize about that movie, then you've got blinders on. :lol

Unless they somehow get Denis Villeneuve to direct 10-12, with Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau as writers, I feel like we're just bound for more controversies, sadly. :'(

I don't really disagree with anything you wrote.  But I'm totally okay with all of that too. 

On the non-trilogy films:

R1:  One of my top 3 favorite Star Wars films, and can end up in the top spot on a lot of days.  It has a couple of glaring continuity mistakes (well, only one is a true continuity error; the other is just dumb).  But it is still fantastic.

Solo:  I went into it with pretty low expectations, and just hoped for something that barely cracked "good."  Expectations FAR exceeded.  Other than the dumb part about his name, Solo didn't really have anything to criticize.  Very good film.

Anyhow, as far as the Mandalorian, GREAT episode!  I'll have to see it again, but this may be my favorite of the entire run so far.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 08:06:50 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2585 on: November 30, 2020, 05:58:19 AM »
OK... wading into Spoiler territory now that everyone has had a few days to catch up:

Who does everyone think will be the next Jedi that they meet after going to the Jedi temple Ahsoka mentioned? Any chance we have a run-in with Luke? It would almost seem odd if he didn't at least get a mention at some point. What about Ezra Bridger? I think with the other tie-ins to Rebels he's the most obvious option.

Curious if Grand Admiral Thrawn makes his way into The Mandalorian or if that's setting up a future Ahsoka spin-off.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2586 on: November 30, 2020, 06:55:42 AM »
I think Ezra seems to be the Jedi that’d answer the call.....simply because of all of the other tie ins to the two animated series.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2587 on: November 30, 2020, 09:25:00 AM »
OK... wading into Spoiler territory now that everyone has had a few days to catch up:

Who does everyone think will be the next Jedi that they meet after going to the Jedi temple Ahsoka mentioned? Any chance we have a run-in with Luke? It would almost seem odd if he didn't at least get a mention at some point. What about Ezra Bridger? I think with the other tie-ins to Rebels he's the most obvious option.

Curious if Grand Admiral Thrawn makes his way into The Mandalorian or if that's setting up a future Ahsoka spin-off.

I'm guessing Thrawn is for the Ahsoka show, that she is done with the Mandalorian for now (maybe making an appearance for the finale but that's it).

If somehow Ahsoka does run into Luke, this has to be that scene...

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2588 on: November 30, 2020, 09:53:53 AM »
I'm guessing Thrawn is for the Ahsoka show, that she is done with the Mandalorian for now (maybe making an appearance for the finale but that's it).

I had read a rumor over the summer that she appears in two episodes....but who really knows? I think it'd be cool for her to show back up and dispatch of those Death Soldiers (or whatever they're called) that Mof Gideon has being mobilized. Not sure Mando can handle those on his own.

No matter what....I need more Ahsoka.....like now.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2589 on: November 30, 2020, 10:17:20 AM »
Once again, I was quite pleased at how well the new episode held together without requiring knowledge of either animated series.  They're doing a great job of introducing the characters for those of us who've only ever seen the movies, but including things that provide some extra payoff for people familiar with the animated stuff and/or the books.  Nicely done.

On another board I visit, I'm seeing shit like "So who is this Ashoka (sic) and why's she so important?"  Answer: She's the one Bo-Katan said to find.  Not that hard to follow.  If she has greater importance than that, it's not explored here, and I never felt like I was "missing" anything by not knowing her backstory.  She's obviously a badass in her own right, and strong with The Force.  For the purpose of this story, that's all we needed to know.  I happened to know some of her backstory from discussions here, so her remarks about emotional attachments had a little more weight, but everything she said and did worked fine for me.

Same with Bo-Katan and the other Mandalorians we met a few episodes back.  I saw three Mandalorians obviously from some other sect.  When she pulled off her helmet, I thought "Whoa, this group obviously doesn't have the helmet rule" while others went "Holy shit, it's Bo-Katan!"  Then she introduced herself and the others and we were all on the same page.  Cool.

I think people just like to complain.  They're not "missing" anything; they're just whining that they don't get the extra reward that others do for knowing the other material.  Sorry, that can't be helped.  I think Filoni, Favreau and company are doing a hell of a job keeping a delicate balance.