Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 257312 times)

Offline nikatapi

Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #2450 on: February 05, 2019, 07:54:32 AM »
well, Pale Blue Dot does have that hole djenty vibe going for it, alongside the Imperial March riff. It's a much more rhythmically focused track than riffy...

Yeah even though it's not as rhythmically complex as a Djent type song. More like chugging instead of riffing, but agree in a way.
Agreed with Bosk about rhythm driving the song instead of guitar. It is a very different song, and the whole atmosphere and vibe is something i haven't felt before with a DT song.

As for Barstool Warrior, i think it's one of my favorites alongside At Wit's End.

Offline erciccio

« Reply #2451 on: February 05, 2019, 07:56:35 AM »
What about Barstool Warrior? that seems to have positively surprised many reviewers...
No, it's great.  Don't get me wrong.  It's probably my #3 or #4 on the album.  But I suspect that it will be a favorite for a lot of people.  I hate to draw comparisons, because I think comparisons to other songs are very personal, and other people will read the comparison and inevitably say, "What?  I don't hear that AT ALL."  But that said, in terms of kind of overall feel and flavor, the song sort of reminds me of the vibe of TCOT or Blind Faith in some ways.

Question on Barstool Warrior- is the short snippet we heard a few months ago (Mangini in the studio playing a beautiful drum "fill" over a keyboard riff) the opening to this song?
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2452 on: February 05, 2019, 08:03:04 AM »
well, Pale Blue Dot does have that hole djenty vibe going for it, alongside the Imperial March riff. It's a much more rhythmically focused track than riffy...

Yeah even though it's not as rhythmically complex as a Djent type song. More like chugging instead of riffing, but agree in a way.
Agreed with Bosk about rhythm driving the song instead of guitar. It is a very different song, and the whole atmosphere and vibe is something i haven't felt before with a DT song.

As for Barstool Warrior, i think it's one of my favorites alongside At Wit's End.

Yeah, you know, I can mention things I really, really like about every single song.  I am cautiously really loving this album.  But I say "cautiously" because this album is different for DT.  As mentioned in one of the reviews I read (I cannot remember who now, but it may have been Noxon), the sound is very stripped-down for DT.  The layering upon layering upon layering is consciously absent.  And that throws my subconscious into a bit of a tizzy because I know I'm listening to DT, and I subconsciously feel like something is missing.  But even though that is the case, I still like the songs.  And there is still enough layering that I hear different things on repeat listens.  But the overall multi-layered sound that I am used to with this band is a lot simpler and focused on this album, and it still has me a bit off balance.  I apologize because that probably does not make sense to those who have not heard it.  But that's the best way to describe it.

What about Barstool Warrior? that seems to have positively surprised many reviewers...
No, it's great.  Don't get me wrong.  It's probably my #3 or #4 on the album.  But I suspect that it will be a favorite for a lot of people.  I hate to draw comparisons, because I think comparisons to other songs are very personal, and other people will read the comparison and inevitably say, "What?  I don't hear that AT ALL."  But that said, in terms of kind of overall feel and flavor, the song sort of reminds me of the vibe of TCOT or Blind Faith in some ways.

Question on Barstool Warrior- is the short snippet we heard a few months ago (Mangini in the studio playing a beautiful drum "fill" over a keyboard riff) the opening to this song?

I don't remember the exact clip.  But the song starts off with a very upbeat keyboard and drum duet riff akin to the beginning of The Looking Glass or when the full band kicks in in The Best of Times.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2453 on: February 05, 2019, 08:10:18 AM »
Based on what people are saying, it looks like there could really be a lot of Mangini in the writing of these songs.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2454 on: February 05, 2019, 08:11:07 AM »
I'm really interested to hear PBD now, I'm all for drums and keys driving a song and having the guitar play a different role. FITL and UA are very guitar riff heavy, so having something a little different would be cool.

Offline rab7

« Reply #2455 on: February 05, 2019, 08:12:36 AM »

Favorite tracks so far:  Paralyzed and Room 137.

Two of the shortest, which is funny because there was a subset of people who complained that there's nothing longer than 10 minutes

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #2456 on: February 05, 2019, 08:15:09 AM »

Two of the shortest, which is funny because there was a subset of people who complained that there's nothing longer than 10 minutes
It's not funny given that these two are his favorite songs, and not objectively best songs on the album
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2457 on: February 05, 2019, 08:35:08 AM »

Especially since I was one of them!  :lol  I mean, I wouldn't say I "complained."  But I was definitely concerned, since I am generally a fan of the longer songs that really take time to develop and explore a lot of different musical territory.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rab7

« Reply #2458 on: February 05, 2019, 08:50:12 AM »

It's not funny given that these two are his favorite songs, and not objectively best songs on the album

Yeah that was faulty logic on my part. I lumped him in with that group, but he admitted it later anyway so it all worked out in the end

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2459 on: February 05, 2019, 09:08:35 AM »
Pale Blue Dot is very interesting as well, in a completely different way.  As I was listening to it driving in this morning, I think it finally hit me what is so different about it.  First off, it is definitely a heavy song.  But Jordan and Mike drive everything that is going on in the song.  The guitars are definitely there, and in a big way.  But I never really feel like the guitars are center stage.  They are more there to augment the percussiveness to the song and to bring the heaviness.  This is a keyboard and drum-centric song to the hilt.  Not sure if Noxon or others who have heard it would agree, but that is definitely how it strikes me.  I almost dare not say this for fear it will be taken the wrong way, but I'll say it anyway:  Up until John's interlude solo (which is repeated and expanded upon in the outro), you could almost say the guitars aren't really doing much that is interesting, and are there to support the song.  It's all just chugging and a few open chords here and there when called for.  Again, even though the guitar is really the first instrument you really hear once you get past the intro sounds and the song proper starts, the keyboards and drums drive everything.

That's similar to the way Petrucci described PBD when I asked him about it. He did say it's his favorite track from the album.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2460 on: February 05, 2019, 09:38:00 AM »
I would have place the order of the songs a bit different, and *I* wouldn't have include one of the songs. (I made my own playlist, and I think the album flows better)

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2461 on: February 05, 2019, 09:54:58 AM »
Aside from Untethered Angels and Fall into the Light do you know what my favorite tracks are?
Neither do I, because I can't listed to it yet like you guys!!!!!!  >:(

Can't wait!!

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2462 on: February 05, 2019, 10:03:07 AM »
Oh, maybe not so good news about PBD!  :omg:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2463 on: February 05, 2019, 10:04:42 AM »
Aside from Untethered Angels and Fall into the Light do you know what my favorite tracks are?
Neither do I, because I can't listed to it yet like you guys!!!!!!  >:(

Sorry, man.  :hugs:  Part of me feels bad giving information and answering questions.  But since reviews are coming out, I wanted to at least give a few thoughts.  And since people keep asking things, I don't want to not answer where I can.  Hang in there.

???

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2464 on: February 05, 2019, 10:06:26 AM »

What?

That the guitars support the other instruments instead of leading the way? Sounds like a welcome change of pace.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2465 on: February 05, 2019, 10:11:37 AM »
Chugging, djenty.... Usually I don't like it.

But, only on the 22nd will I know.  :lol

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #2466 on: February 05, 2019, 01:10:29 PM »
so, bosk, is there any song like that on the album, that actually develops and goes through a lot of territory?
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2467 on: February 05, 2019, 01:54:35 PM »
Well, sure, to varying degrees.  I mean, there isn't anything like an A Change of Seasons or Learning To Live.  But quite a few of the songs, to one degree or another do that.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #2468 on: February 05, 2019, 03:42:09 PM »
For those who listened to the album, does any of the songs have the "modern classic" status like BAI? An instant classic, if it's possible to call it this way?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2469 on: February 05, 2019, 03:55:46 PM »
Depends what you mean by that.  But I think Barstool Warrior will likely be a favorite that could reach "classic" status.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2470 on: February 05, 2019, 05:12:08 PM »
Paralyzed is receiving a lot of praise. I can't remember the last time a single released from a DT album has received as much praise as this and FitL.

Also, based from the reviews, UA is already the most familiar-sounding among the songs in the album. Looks like we'll be in for something different.

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #2471 on: February 06, 2019, 01:27:35 AM »
Depends what you mean by that.  But I think Barstool Warrior will likely be a favorite that could reach "classic" status.
I second that: Barstool Warrior could reach that status. Instant hit, the most "progressive" track, the intro reminds me of the good old days of LTE and Rudess Morgenstein Project. But of course only time will tell.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2472 on: February 06, 2019, 01:32:51 AM »
Yeah i agree, i also think that Barstool Warrior is the most "DT magic" track.
Also i find myself coming back to At Wit's End, and that ending is so majestic...

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #2473 on: February 06, 2019, 03:53:55 AM »
Yeah i agree, i also think that Barstool Warrior is the most "DT magic" track.
Also i find myself coming back to At Wit's End, and that ending is so majestic...
I was (and still am) confused about that end, it's really strange and I don't know what they wanted to achieve by ending the song like that. The solo before the fade out is so great IMO so why ending the song like that?
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2474 on: February 06, 2019, 04:18:07 AM »
I like it so much to be honest. Feels like "ok, this was the song, but we like it and we're jamming in the studio based on this theme", it has some organic quality in it, like someone walked by the rehearsal room and heard the music...

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #2475 on: February 06, 2019, 05:04:40 AM »
C'mon guys.... We all have to wait until until Feb. 22nd 12:00 PST to comment about the album!!!!!!!!!! No spoilersssssss

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2476 on: February 06, 2019, 05:27:01 AM »
this is a new interview with James and JP (and no, it's not another Spanish comedy show on TV): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcMGyvmFXwg

some of those here who are fluent in Spanish might understand the questions
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2477 on: February 06, 2019, 06:34:14 AM »
this is a new interview with James and JP (and no, it's not another Spanish comedy show on TV): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcMGyvmFXwg

some of those here who are fluent in Spanish might understand the questions

Great interview!  :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2478 on: February 06, 2019, 08:34:27 AM »
 Barstool Warrior has some amazing Mangini drumming. Some really creative playing
At Wit's End, that ending!!! :) Love Jordan's keys on it.

No, I still have not heard it yet.  >:(

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2479 on: February 06, 2019, 08:50:47 AM »
Great interview for sure! Love the explanation behind "Room 137". Also love how passionate he sounded about Pale Blue dot.

Very excited about Feb. 22nd.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline lifesonrules65

« Reply #2480 on: February 06, 2019, 09:10:25 AM »
 :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Frank

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2481 on: February 06, 2019, 09:40:43 AM »
Given bosk's description of Paralyzed and Pale Blue Dot, I'm really excited to hear both those tunes.

I heard Viper King, and its clearly a nod to Highway Star in the way the song flows. Cool as an oddity/b-side/bonus track, but I went ahead and just bought the standard jewel case version of the record without it. I have a feeling Pale Blue Dot really does end the record as the band meant it to end, and jewel cases are always better than digipaks in the CD rack.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2483 on: February 06, 2019, 02:03:53 PM »
:dangerwillrobinson:  It shows the song titles!  *SPOILERS!!!!*

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #2484 on: February 06, 2019, 02:09:28 PM »
They already were revealed some time ago, were they? (or I didn't catch your joke). In case I overstepped boundaries, I would be sorry about that.