Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 257296 times)

Offline Kocak

Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #2240 on: January 25, 2019, 02:42:28 AM »
New video interview with JP:
https://youtu.be/9WVGX3jH6zg

What a nice interview. I like that it was more of a conversation.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2241 on: January 25, 2019, 09:02:08 AM »

Yeah that was a nice, short, different interview.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #2242 on: January 25, 2019, 11:52:42 AM »
VERY cool interview. I just don't understand though why JP has that beard. It's STUPID that it bothers me, but he looks HORRIBLE. :facepalm:

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #2243 on: January 25, 2019, 11:55:37 AM »
VERY cool interview. I just don't understand though why JP has that beard. It's STUPID that it bothers me, but he looks HORRIBLE. :facepalm:
Sounds like beard envy...
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2244 on: January 25, 2019, 11:57:53 AM »

But he is all that is MAN!

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #2245 on: January 25, 2019, 12:00:34 PM »
Sounds like beard envy...
It's not really.  :rollin

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #2246 on: January 25, 2019, 12:00:52 PM »

But he is all that is MAN!

:tup

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2247 on: January 25, 2019, 01:19:30 PM »
In that interview, if it's the one I'm thinking of, it was cool to hear him address the MP fans who say Mangini has no feel. His reaction is the same as mine. :)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2248 on: January 25, 2019, 01:21:06 PM »
In that interview, if it's the one I'm thinking of, it was cool to hear him address the MP fans who say Mangini has no feel. His reaction is the same as mine. :)

That was interesting, partly because of how up front the interviewer was with asking the question. But yeah, JP's answer tells you a lot about how he feels about MM, he couldn't stop praising him. Good to see.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2249 on: January 25, 2019, 02:15:45 PM »

yeah....JP seems to be a great conversationalist. He didn't just sit there and field questions....he engaged the interviewer....asked him a few questions as well and gave pretty thoughtful responses. His response to the MP/MM question was pretty well stated and tough to argue with.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #2250 on: January 25, 2019, 03:06:34 PM »

and is 100% wrong unfortunately!

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #2251 on: January 25, 2019, 03:15:25 PM »

Sounds like drum envy...
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline rab7

« Reply #2252 on: January 25, 2019, 03:21:21 PM »

His reaction is 100% wrong? He's baffled that after playing alongside him for 8 years that people say he has no feel. He's wrong for being baffled?

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #2253 on: January 25, 2019, 05:03:12 PM »

His reaction is 100% wrong? He's baffled that after playing alongside him for 8 years that people say he has no feel. He's wrong for being baffled?

I completely accept his feeling about MM's "feel" but like many others, I don't see it. I love MM's drumming, but he's certainly not among my "favorite" drummers because of the way he plays. It's just how "I" feel. No disrespect meant.

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #2254 on: January 25, 2019, 06:20:57 PM »

I completely accept his feeling about MM's "feel" but like many others, I don't see it. I love MM's drumming, but he's certainly not among my "favorite" drummers because of the way he plays. It's just how "I" feel. No disrespect meant.

I do have a similar thought on that. I love Mangini, he is a hell of a drummer and seems like such a nice guy, but "feeling" isn't the first thing to come to mind when I think about his drumming. Technique and speed are some of them.

Not saying I don't like the way he plays, though. But "feeling" is the one thing I would like to listen more from his drum parts. And that's just my opinion, not a universal truth.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2255 on: January 25, 2019, 10:59:09 PM »

That was interesting, partly because of how up front the interviewer was with asking the question. But yeah, JP's answer tells you a lot about how he feels about MM, he couldn't stop praising him. Good to see.

I loved that part of the interview.  I was smiling when he was answering and wanted to applaud him.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2256 on: January 26, 2019, 01:15:02 AM »
Great interview. Both guys seemed very relaxed which totally helped. I always feel the same after seeing JP interviewed - seems like a such a nice, chilled guy.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #2257 on: January 26, 2019, 10:11:26 AM »
Thanks to JP I have now discovered both Animals As Leaders and Jason Richardson, as a result of that interview.  :lol  :metal
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2258 on: January 26, 2019, 10:15:11 AM »
Thanks to JP I have now discovered both Animals As Leaders and Jason Richardson, as a result of that interview.  :lol  :metal

I reccomend you start AAL with The Joy of Motion :metal :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline DP_Gumby

« Reply #2259 on: January 26, 2019, 10:16:25 AM »

Noted.  ;)
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2260 on: January 26, 2019, 11:31:04 AM »

Same here...except he used a few less swear words.

All I know is I've seen MM 5 times with DT and once at a clinic. Each time within 20-30 feet of him and "lack of feel" never crossed my mind once. Plus, he is easily one of the most entertaining drummers to watch.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2261 on: January 26, 2019, 11:55:34 AM »

Where have you been living lately? Under a rock?!? Kidding aside, AAL are very good but not my cup of tea. Tosin Abasi is one hell of a guitarist though. As is Jason Richardson. You can check out Aviator by Polyphia, he has a guest solo and it rips.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Pound4aBrown

« Reply #2262 on: January 26, 2019, 12:51:18 PM »

Don't sleep on Weightless either.

Offline DP_Gumby

« Reply #2263 on: January 26, 2019, 01:11:59 PM »

Where have you been living lately? Under a rock?!? Kidding aside, AAL are very good but not my cup of tea. Tosin Abasi is one hell of a guitarist though. As is Jason Richardson. You can check out Aviator by Polyphia, he has a guest solo and it rips.

B.Lee

I sometime ask myself that question. Even my uncle, whom introduced me to DT and the spectacular world of Progressive music, was astonished for a long time that I hadn't heard anything of Abasi (or even Nuno Bettencourt for that matter). I have rectified this slowly over time the last two years.

And I can clearly see what I have been missing out of before.  :hefdaddy

Offline DP_Gumby

« Reply #2264 on: January 26, 2019, 01:13:54 PM »

That's the next album after The Joy of Motion I added to a AAL playlist on Spotify. So I won't miss that album either.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2265 on: January 26, 2019, 02:49:52 PM »

B.Lee

I sometime ask myself that question. Even my uncle, whom introduced me to DT and the spectacular world of Progressive music, was astonished for a long time that I hadn't heard anything of Abasi (or even Nuno Bettencourt for that matter). I have rectified this slowly over time the last two years.

And I can clearly see what I have been missing out of before.  :hefdaddy

Better late than never! :metal
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2266 on: January 26, 2019, 04:05:09 PM »

That's the next album after The Joy of Motion I added to a AAL playlist on Spotify. So I won't miss that album either.

Actually Weightless was released before The Joy of Motion.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm a dumbass and didn't read his reply right.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #2267 on: January 26, 2019, 11:40:13 PM »
--
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 11:48:47 PM by theanalogkid7 »
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #2268 on: January 26, 2019, 11:48:17 PM »
Soooo, if anyone was looking to order the Artbook or Box Set from Amazon, they're currently listed as "Unavailable". My guess is that their allotted number of pre-orders were met in the last day or two, so I'm guessing they're not going to get any more of the Box Sets. I guess dropping the price to just under $120 made every on-the-fence fan pull the trigger on buying (it did for me!).

-Marc.

Just went to pre-oder the box set and saw it's unavailable. I'm super disappointed. Congrats on yours!
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2269 on: January 27, 2019, 02:28:59 AM »
Man the amount of shampoo that goes into that beard..
"I'm not sure if I like their faces" :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2270 on: January 27, 2019, 02:43:22 AM »
Just got tickets for the Philly show, since I can’t make the NYC show
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 09:02:59 AM by Vmadera00 »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit

Offline rab7

« Reply #2272 on: January 28, 2019, 09:09:45 AM »
"OUT OF REACH, the walk of the opus: the melodies of PETRUCCI and RUDESS perfectly accompany the vocal lines of LABRIE."

Smh, yet another review that doesn't say anything about Out of Reach

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2273 on: January 28, 2019, 09:25:05 AM »
"OUT OF REACH, the walk of the opus: the melodies of PETRUCCI and RUDESS perfectly accompany the vocal lines of LABRIE."

Smh, yet another review that doesn't say anything about Out of Reach

It's a 4 minute Ballad. I'm expecting something similar to "Through her eyes" or "silent Man".
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2274 on: January 28, 2019, 09:43:54 AM »
I’m thinking something more like AFTR