Author Topic: Doc's Roulette 4.0 Stock Shenanigans Round 1 results - Submit, buy and sell  (Read 5042 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
For the record, that Almo track was dope af.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Round 1:

Overall, I was very pleased with the submissions this round.  Nothing close to being a going concern, which I think is reflected in dividends.  Due to the nature of this roulette, posting first impressions won’t work here so I’ll put them, but there was some movement between the first listen and the tenth (that’s about where I want to be each round).  Other than three submissions, I had done a good job not remembering who sent what until I started the write up process.  Lots of female vocals and growls – which I guess shouldn’t be a surprise, and honestly not disappointed considering my interest in bands like Epica, Aephanemer, and Once Human

Nuclear Power Trio – Critical Bass Theory Submitted by: AKI (President jingle.boy)

This song title promises bass, and it delivers.  In looking up some info about the band, I would venture a guess that the three musicians are ones that Chad doesn’t listen to their “main” bands.  The bass line was awesome, but I was surprised that the synth seemed like the lead instrument.  While this song was fine and all, each time through the playlist I was less excited for it to come up.

Dividend per share: $5
Stock Price Movement: Down $10

Black Country Communion – Song of Yesterday Submitted by:  SHART (President  Stadler)

I bought this album when it came out based solely on the lineup.  I didn’t include it on the banned list because all I could tell you about it was that I owned it and Joe Bonamassa was in it, so anything would be fresh to my ears (there are about 50 other bands that fall under this umbrella).   Makes me think of a more modern and balanced Kenny Way Sheppard or Stevie Ray Vaughn.  It’s good, and when this roulette is over I’ll probably revisit this album, it just ran into some other strong submissions this round. 

Dividend per share: $5.3
Stock Price Movement: Down $8

Need – Norchestiron Submitted by: SENT (President Evermind)

The first third of this song I was thinking this is just going to be a standard DT inspired prog metal song, then the harsh vocals came in broke up the monotony.  I didn’t think it would end up down here in the initial impressions, but the rest of the round was very strong   

Dividend per share: $5.6
Stock Price Movement: Down $6

Inno – Suffocate Submitted by: MEL (President LithoJazzoSphere)

Like most songs this round, this was in the large group, that are honestly not separated by much, both in my enjoyment and content.  Another female vocals and growls band, this one wasn’t bad and it’s a band I’ll probably look into at some point after the roulette, but some of the other submissions just had more memorable parts that carried them a little bit more.

Dividend per share: $5.8
Stock Price Movement: Down $4

Spiritbox – Too Close/Too Late Submitted by: WEEB (President lonestar)
Supplimented by The Mara Effect Pt. 1 by LithoJazzpSphere

This is a case where sending a song along with buying a share helped the submission.  While I do have a slight preference for The Mara Effect, getting two songs that are somewhat different from each other helped move this up a spot in the stack ratings and helped with the payout as well.  Again, just a VERY tough matchup in submissions. 

Dividend per share: $6
Stock Price Movement: Down $2

Moron Police – Isn’t It Easy Submitted by: SYL (President ariich)

This is a band I had heard once before because Joe (King Postwhore) posted a video of Captain Awkward.  I don’t remember much about it, but I think this was fun and catchy.  Surprised the buyers didn’t want to suppliement this.  I’ve always wondered, are they police who are morons, or do they police the morons?  I guess I’ll find out when I check them out in the future. 

Dividend per share: $6.1
Stock Price Movement: No Change

Coldbound – Skys Are Weeping Submitted by: WTF (President TAC)

Like a lot of the other submissions, this one is right in my After Forever/Epica wheelhouse vocally, and had a nice spacy instrumental section in middle driven by that tasty synth.  The symphonic parts hit nice as well.  First impression had it just below the middle of the pack, but it grew on me as time went on.

Dividend per share: $6.3
Stock Price Movement: Up $2

Brymir – Submitted by: KIP (President Wolkfing)

This was the leader out of the gate with soaring sing along chorus, and that guitar solo is tasty as well.  Just a solid offering.     

Dividend per share: $6.5
Stock Price Movement: Up $4

ALMO – Hope Submitted by:  IG (President King Postwhore)

This one came hot off the blocks and has been near the top of the stack ranking, and one Joe must have been saving for a rainy day because this is the first time I heard of ALMO.  This track tickled me, will be checking out down the road for sure.

Dividend per share: $ 7
Stock Price Movement: Up $6

Coheed & Cambria – Key Entity Extraction I: Domino The Destitute Submitted by:  MET (President Lonk)

I have known about C&C for a while.  I first encountered them when their song Welcome Home was on one of the Guitar Hero games, and I remember liking it enough to want to check out the band further.  Well, some feathers on the back porch later I was like, ”WTF is this shit” and have teased my friends who like them ever since.  I was sure when I got this song some people were going to target this as their short.  Well, be glad you didn’t.  Since their albums run together in a continuous story I was lost on some of the story elements, and the boxing announcer in the middle of the song didn’t do anything for the song, but that chorus...damn that’s an earworm.  This song also got me to make the list in youtube because I wanted to hear that chorus again and Spotify don’t let you have any fun.  I guess I knew they had the potential to get me interested and now I’m curious like a cat and my friends call me whiskers.  Almost song of the round, that’s a sentence I never thought I’d type a week ago.

Dividend per share: $7.5
Stock Price Movement: Up $8

Arkona – Ugasaya Submitted by:  NERDS (President King Puppies and the Acid Guppies)

This is band that was the target of shorts.  I was wondering if it was because the vocals are Russian and I think Ruslan is the only one here who understands Russian.  However, this was not the song to short.  Even with having to treat the vocals as another instrument, this just hit several sweet spots.  It was middle of the pack on first impression, but its made a nice steady climb throughout the plays.

I can't wait for Arkona to win 1st place this round.  :lol

Well, it happened in the end.

Dividend per share: $7.5
Stock Price Movement: Up $10, but down $6 two for shorts – Net +$4

We are now in a stock round.

Submit your round 2 song, and if you have the funds you may buy shares or sell shares (other than your 10 Presidental shares).  If you sell shares, remember to mentally add the price of the shares sold to your cash on hand.  You get the value of the share now, prices are adjusted when I get all round 2 submissions and close the trading floor.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Well, my initial investments performed terribly but at least Brymir did well. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Oof!

Well, my initial investments performed terribly but at least Brymir did well. :lol

You're welcome.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Mason, I found ALMO 3 weeks ago and I haven't stopped listening to that album. Glad you liked it!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Is there an error on the spreadsheet, or do I really have only have 70 cents?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Is there an error on the spreadsheet, or do I really have only have 70 cents?
pretty sure that should be 70 dollars. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Impressive - never has NPT ever scored badly, let alone worst/last.  Proof there's a first time for everything :D.  I'm not sure I want to live in a world where people hear Critical Bass Theory is the worst song, and Ugasaya is the best song.   :biggrin:

I know what act I'll be sending, just gotta decide on the song.

Good thing you made the sheet "view-only"!  I tried to sort by company value (as I assume that to be the standings), but it totally screwed things up and there was no "undo".  Anyway, Lonk in the lead, yes?

Player   TOTAL VALUE
Lonk    $837
King Postwhore    $810
King Puppies and Acid Guppies    $808
TAC    $767
Wolfking    $766
Ariich    $740
Evermind    $700
LithoJazzoSphere    $698
Lonestar    $687
Stadler    $678
jingle.boy    $656
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Also, can you walk us thru the cash on hand formula (since the spreadsheet has that manually entered)?

Starting Cash
+ Own Company dividends
+ Purchased share dividends
- Purchased shares (price from end of round)

Clearly I'm missing something, because my situation would be:
   $25
+ $50
+ $19.50 (dividends from RJ, Kade, Joe)
-  $44 (stock price from Ruslan for investing in Need)

$50.50 ... which isn't in sync with the $54.10 the worksheet shows.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
Cash on hand = starting cash + dividends from all shares owned - dividends owed from shorted shares - share purchases.

I’m going to try to automate more of it next round, at least the dividends part.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Impressive - never has NPT ever scored badly, let alone worst/last.

I'm shocked honestly.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Impressive - never has NPT ever scored badly, let alone worst/last. 
I'm shocked honestly.

Not any more than I am!  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I have a pretty full day, so I'll send tonight. No idea what to send. I'll have to peak at the writeups for the top sogs here.

I have no clue how those scores were compiled.
I shorted the best song, invested in the worst song, and somehow I have the 4th most cash? WTF? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I'm shocked honestly.

Not any more than I am!  :lol

Let's gather peacefully at Doc's house!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I need to sit down and figure the scores out. I glanced at the spreadsheet and I've got no idea what's going on.

But I'm glad Almo did well. Very solid song.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Well, look at C&C doing well (Luke would be proud). I hesitated in sending that song because they have better tracks, but glad you enjoyed it  :metal I guess if you are going to venture into their music, The Afterman albums are a good place to start.

Now to send for next round  :corn
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Doc's Roulette 4.0 Stock Shenanigans and NO HANGMAN GAMES
« Reply #227 on: April 10, 2024, 06:33:16 AM »
BANNED LIST

Black Anvil

Wow, really surprised to see this band here. There goes a future round submission I had in mind.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I have a pretty full day, so I'll send tonight. No idea what to send. I'll have to peak at the writeups for the top sogs here.

I shorted the best song, invested in the worst song, and somehow I have the 4th most cash? WTF? :lol

Not the 4th most cash, what I pasted was the Market Cap for each company. 

Stadler had it right it seems ... don't invest anywhere.  He's got the most cash on hand atm.  :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni

Stadler had it right it seems ... don't invest anywhere.  He's got the most cash on hand atm.  :lol

98 seems high.  I’ll check in lunch

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
98 seems high.  I’ll check in lunch

Well, he should be up significantly on everyone else since he didn't buy any shares.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
I warned you all.... :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

So that's not the standings?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
So that's not the standings?

I'm assuming what I posted (Market cap ... the total value of all the shares owned) is the standings.  That's different than the amount of "cash" we have.  Although, it turns out your fourth in Cash as well:

Player   Cash
Stadler   98.3
Puppies    74
Lonk   73
TAC   70.9
Kingshmeg   67.7
Wolfking   60
Evermind   56.2
LithoJazzoSphere   55.7
jingle.boy   54.1
Ariich   53.5
Lonestar   0.7

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Really?  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Really?  :lol

What can you get for 70 cents, anyway?  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
I hate you all.

Sent.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Standings are presumably based on total wealth, which is total investment value PLUS cash holdings.

No point earning dividends if cash doesn't count.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Sent

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Hmm, this one sure blew up in my face - no positive investments.  Although I don't personally "get" them myself, Moron Police seems to just about win every roulette round they're sent in, and they're middle of the pack here. 

I'll have to think about which stock to buy, and also send a bit later after I mull over my final candidates. 

Inno – Suffocate Submitted by: MEL (President LithoJazzoSphere)

Another female vocals and growls band

Uh...I'm wondering if you listened to the right song.  I don't even think there are any growls in the whole album, certainly not the song I sent.  Maybe you're confusing them with the Spiritbox song I appended to lonestar's submission?  That one certainly counts. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Sent for round 2.

Not sure I'll trade any shares at this stage. Only had one round so far so feels a bit early to be divesting of anything, and I'll for sure invest in a share (or two) once songs are revealed.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Sent for round 2.

Not sure I'll trade any shares at this stage. Only had one round so far so feels a bit early to be divesting of anything, and I'll for sure invest in a share (or two) once songs are revealed.

Not sure if I have any fucking clue what's going on...probably explains why my retirement portfolio is shit.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I'm just behind you and I shorted the same song and invested in Chad's song and Evermind's song lol.  maybe has something to do that I already have shares invested in both their companies?

This is more complicated than the actual stock market.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.