Author Topic: Official Yes Top 50 Countdown Thread! - #23-21 Revealed!  (Read 5102 times)

DTwwbwMP and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline pg1067

Re: Official Yes Top 50 Countdown Thread! - Lists Due by April 27
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2024, 10:30:42 AM »
So...we're now up to 6 lists (including mine.  Unless anyone objects, I'm going to extend the deadline to give folks more time.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2024, 10:35:58 AM »
So...we're now up to 6 lists (including mine.  Unless anyone objects, I'm going to extend the deadline to give folks more time.
:tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2024, 10:41:35 AM »
I will do my best to get a list in.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2024, 10:42:12 AM »
I'll GLADLY take it. I've already arbitrarily deemed the post-Squire material out (and I'm including Heaven and Earth in that steaming pile of lesser material).  :) :) :)

Offline pg1067

OK...deadline is now Saturday, May 4.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
Making my way through this now... wow it's tougher than i thought  :lol

Offline jammindude

I sincerely want to do this, and I am sincerely going to try. The astronomical amount of drama that has decided to encircle my life is making it difficult, but these types of escape are sometimes a very welcome corner of my life.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline DTA

Sent my list! This got tough with the post-2000's songs.

Offline pg1067

Only 6 songs made every list.  Needless to say, this means some heavy hitters were left off at least one list.

Those 6 songs come from only 4 albums.

The #1 songs have also come from only 4 albums (but they're not the same albums referred to above).

Offline romdrums

I made it easy on myself and left those out.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
This is hard; I cut it off with no Squire and/or no Anderson.  Not hard and fast, because I left off Heaven and Earth (though Squire appeared on that) and I included Drama, Fly From Here, and From A Page that didn't have Anderson.  Obviously something off GFTO versus something off The Ladder is an easy choice, but to discern between a song from The Ladder and Magnification, not so much, or a song from CTTE and Fragile...

Offline HOF

My knowledge of Yes starts with Fragile and ends with Big Generator, which conveniently was just about 55 songs.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
My knowledge of Yes starts with Fragile and ends with Big Generator, which conveniently was just about 55 songs.

Other than "The Yes Album", you've got the meat and potatoes there.   :)

Offline HOF

Other than "The Yes Album", you've got the meat and potatoes there.   :)

Woops, it does include The Yes Album. Just forgot that one came before Fragile!

Offline pg1067

I made it easy on myself and left those out.

And yet Make It Easy is a pre-2000s song.   :biggrin:

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
PG, I sent mine. :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline pg1067

Offline pg1067

Eight lists in...REALLY hope this number at least doubles over the next week.

Only 4 songs on every list.  Three of them are probably quite predictable.  I think the fourth is a bit surprising.

There are five studio albums that, between them, have only garnered two votes (probably no surprise there either).

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
sent in my list

EDIT: I have some nostalgia for Union (I know, I know) so I feel like if any of those songs even make the results it's probably due to me :lol
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 11:15:07 AM by TheHoveringSojourn808 »
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Online DTwwbwMP

Eight lists in...REALLY hope this number at least doubles over the next week.

This IS a prog "site" right? How could there be ONLY 8 lists? :tdwn :facepalm:

Offline HOF

Kind of a surprising turnout, but at the same time, not sure there are so many passionate Yes fans here?

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
I like Yes, but I would never say I’m that passionate about them. 50 is a tall order for a more casual fan like me when there’s sooo many songs I don’t know or don’t care about. But I could definitely do 25 if you’d accept it. Could you not still do a top 50 countdown if not everybody submits 50 songs, or would that mess up your data?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
This IS a prog "site" right? How could there be ONLY 8 lists? :tdwn :facepalm:

It's not a prog site, it's a Dream Theater fan site. I only know 6 songs from the list in the OP, and I love Dream Theater.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online DTwwbwMP

Sure not everyone likes YES who are on this "dream theater fan site" :\ but I would expect a lot more than 8 lists!

Offline jammindude

There will be more. There’s never been one of these without an 11th hour surge.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

proud of my list
Welcome to the Forums!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Sure not everyone likes YES who are on this "dream theater fan site" :\ but I would expect a lot more than 8 lists!

I just think that going 50 deep was a bit steep. There may have been a better turnout with a Top 25.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
I just think that going 50 deep was a bit steep. There may have been a better turnout with a Top 25.

The same thing happened with the Queen countdown last year.
I think that should be the rule for these countdown threads going forward. Submit 25, but still do the Top 50 for the countdown.

FWIW, i had no issue doing Top 50 vs Top 25 for Yes. They're the kind of band that has enough long songs that you're either going to only know a dozen tunes or you're gonna know 100 lol. Not convinced 25 v 50 is why there's low turnout here...
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
I'm one of the biggest YesFans around, if not the biggest, but I don't go for rankings, survivors, roulettes, any of that stuff.  I have my favorites, but on any given day, if I were forced to choose, there are any dozens of YesSongs that I might want to hear.  Ranking them or stating which songs are "better" is 100% subjective, so basically a waste of time.  Sorry.

Offline Animal

I didn't find out about this countdown until very recently (I had been quite busy so hadn't been reading this part of the forum). I'll definitely submit a list, I am just doing some last minute re-appreciation.
Few thoughts so far:1) Contrary to what I tended to think, Yes didn't stop making good music after Going for the One. 2) Upon new spins after many years, I am finding out I really like some albums I wouldn't give much thought before, such as Drama, Tales or Talk . 3) I thought Owner of the Lonely Heart was the only song I knew from 90125 - after listening to it, I realize I know the whole album (and I like it). And not only know it, like "It sound like something I have heard before", but more like "I am really familiar with pretty much every song". That's weird - I have never owned the album. Yes, my parents had a 90125 vinyl, but this was over 30 years ago and unlike so many other vinyls they would spin repeatedly (such as J-Tull's Heavy Horses), I don't remember they would ever play this one (and I used to be very inquisitive about any music that was played at any moment).

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I wouldn't go as far as Orbert in saying that ranking the Yes songs is a waste of time. But I always have trouble with ranking, I can maybe point to a top five but on any given day even that will change, so doing a top 50 would be very very time consuming and I would probably not be satisfied with the end result, and I simply haven't got that time right now.

So yes, big Yes fan here but I will not submit a list, sorry.

But it's always fun to read the rankings and comments of others, so please, keep this up.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Mladen

I had fun putting the list together, it turned out pretty good. Honestly, that top ten is spectacular. I feel like making a playlist of those songs and putting them on shuffle. That's almost three hours of great music there.  ;D

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
Sent mine in, this was great fun to do!
I was surprised at the amount of modern Yes tracks, especially from the latest album, that ended up being in my top 50-100.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I'm going to do my best to get a list in, but these things are difficult for me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.