Author Topic: Your concerts for 2019  (Read 30616 times)

Online Anguyen92

Re: Your concerts for 2019
« Reply #280 on: June 28, 2019, 05:32:43 PM »
Whose idea is it to put a Slipknot headlining show in an amphitheater with seats with no chances for mosh pits?  It just doesn't make sense.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #281 on: June 29, 2019, 12:23:35 PM »
All right, tonight's gig.

Mastodon and Coheed & Cambria - Greek Theater, Los Angeles, CA - June 29th, 2019

I honestly didn't enjoy Mastodon's catalog as I thought I would.  I think it came down to vocal preferences not being too much for my liking.  That stated, I'm relistening to Crack the Skye right now and it's pretty solid stuff.  Coheed & Cambria should be really good and they are playing a good amount of stuff from their latest album, The Unheavenly Creatures, which I liked initially.  It should still be a great night and I think the right call was made with Mastodon getting 70 minutes and Coheed & Cambria getting 90 minutes.  They do have an opener, Every Time I Die, and I don't think I would care much for their set.  A lot of screaming vocals, so I hope their set go by fast for the 40 minutes they are getting.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 12:32:50 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #282 on: June 29, 2019, 05:00:14 PM »
Seeing that tomorrow night here in Phx.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #283 on: June 30, 2019, 01:47:01 AM »
All right, I'm back.  I'll spare the much longer details and will say the following about the bands.

Every Time I Die - They sorta remind me of Rise Against if Rise Against was more aggressive in the vocals as they used to be when they were starting out.  The band played as well as they can with the style.  Crowd was sorta so-so for them, but there were some people in the stands that was going crazy for them, especially a group of people two rows behind me.  I think I eyed it where around 1,000-2,000 people were there for their set.  I think this is a definitely a band that's a lot more suited indoors at a club where the crowds can really get going with the pits and all.  I give them a 6/10

Mastodon - Crowd perked up more for Mastodon.  The band played solid.  They played Crack the Skye in full as advertised and had some pretty odd visuals, but those visuals worked well for their style.  Personally, while I admit the band played solid, I just couldn't enjoy them too much.  I couldn't get into the vocals and that's just going to be a huge dealbreaker for me if I get into a band or not.  It also didn't help how the row behind me was talking a lot during the set and how I can actually hear them over the loud music.  I didn't want to be rude and tell them to quiet down a bit, so I just try to make any subtle gestures to keep it down, but it didn't work.  On a positive note, I do like how all four guys had a chance to sing lead at some point, even if it is a small part.  Overall, I say Mastodon had a good set.  Not the kind of band I would see at their own shows, but I wouldn't be opposed to seeing their set if they paired up with a band I like.

Coheed & Cambria -  Wow.  I went in totally blind for them when I bought the ticket and my only exposure of them, prior to listening to their albums, was watching a short live stream of them in Rock In Rio Las Vegas and for that song, Ten Speed, that's on Rock Band.  They put on a tremendous set.  Everything was on point.  The band's energy, the crowd singing along to almost anything, the visuals.  They went 90 minutes which would be just about the minimum amount of a single headliner set.  Their set did compose of stuff from Unheavenly Creatures and a good amount of their staples (at least, I think they were staples judging on how people were singing along to them).  You would think judging the way the crowd was singing along that this was their own headlining tour and, quite frankly, I think the right call was made for them to be the last band of the night and have the most amount of time.  Their vocalist, Claudio Sanchez, got the crowd to sing Happy Birthday as a recorded message on his phone to send to his Grandpa, who he stated turned 100 today, but he couldn't make it to the celebration because of the tour and this show.  Speaking of Claudio, I was quite amazed on how he performed so well with all of that long hair that reminds me of Hagrid from Harry Potter.  Anyway, I think they got a new fan out of me and if they announced another tour that includes the LA area (whether it is co-headlining or just by themselves) I will be there and I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable full GA price.  I put this set up there with some of my favorites of this year (Switchfoot, Within Temptation, Winery Dogs, Disturbed, Nothing More).

Overall, I had a good night.  200 minutes of live music with a good view for $18.00 on Groupon and $15 of parking.  Sounds like a great recipe for a cheap night out and a great night out.  Despite what I stated about the price, for anyone that thinks that relatively modern metal/prog has no chance of drawing big crowds nowadays.  Based on how I eyed it, it looks like around 4,000-5,000 people showed up at some point.  Pretty darn good for two bands that I feel like mainstream rock doesn't give too much massive coverage (well, moreso for Coheed & Cambria than Mastodon).

Next concert will be Shinedown with three other opening bands that I probably won't care about (but will not complain if I do end up getting invested in them) in one of three shows I will be attending at the FivePoint Amphitheater in Irvine.  Three weeks from today and the day after my birthday.  I can only hope that the alleged miming/backing vocals will not be as prevalent and that it actually looks like Brent Smith is singing all of his vocals.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #284 on: June 30, 2019, 07:16:04 AM »
Super pumped for Coheed tonight. I really enjoy the latest album. Don't care about Mastadon, saw them once and wasn't impressed. Will definitely need to check out Every Time I Die - I'm a Rise Against super fan, so you're description really piques my interest.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #285 on: June 30, 2019, 09:24:51 AM »
^^ Regarding Every Time I Die, I didn't follow that hardcore punk style, so I don't even know if they are like Rise Against, but that's the first band that came to my mind about it.  There are just a lot of screaming vocals and lyrics that didn't make sense to me at all.  There were some people in the crowd that was really really into them.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: June 30, 2019, 09:45:43 AM »
Day 1 of Warped Tour was an unbelievable experience... got a bunch of videos up on youtube already, but we had a rain delay that lead to a lot of craziness (it was like a zombie horde climbing the walls  :lol to get off the beach).  I pretty much just chilled at the main stage all day and saw the sets of:

Less Than Jake
Travie Mccoy (essentially this was Gym Class Heroes)
Glassjaw
Andrew W.K.
Simple Plan
Atmosphere (by far the most uninteresting set)
Good Charlotte
Bad Religion
A Day to Remember

311 was soooo dissapointing.  The second singer's mic was off the entire time, they clearly had issues before going on as they were delayed, and they ended up only playing 6 songs with the mic off the entire time and they were one of the headliners  :facepalm:

About to head back to the beach now  :metal

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #287 on: July 01, 2019, 07:59:51 AM »
^^ Regarding Every Time I Die, I didn't follow that hardcore punk style, so I don't even know if they are like Rise Against, but that's the first band that came to my mind about it.  There are just a lot of screaming vocals and lyrics that didn't make sense to me at all.  There were some people in the crowd that was really really into them.

I could see/hear instances where you could reference Rise Against, but ETID is definitely metal and not punk. I didn't mind them, but didn't draw me in either.
Mastadon was much better than I remember from 18 years ago or so. The 50minute movie for their album was pretty amazing. I may check them out a bit more on Spotify.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: July 01, 2019, 07:36:00 PM »
So dead tired and got a flat tire on my way home  >:( but unbelievable experience this weekend, unlike anything I may ever see again

Day 2 of Warped Tour I saw the sets of:

Anti-Flag
The Story So Far
Circa Survive
Thrice
Big D and the Kids Table
The Menzingers
The Starting Line
Dirty Heads
The Used
Taking Back Sunday
The Offspring
Blink 182

I definitely enjoyed day 1's bands more, but day 2 had better weather and no issues so we got good consistent sets with better sound and a better overall experience including getting in/out.  I'm too tired to write up much, there is wayyyy too much awesomeness that went down (so many moments that could crack my top 10 concert moments of 2019) but for now, I leave you with my night one video (night 2 should be up soonish)

Warped Tour 25th Anniversary Atlantic City NJ Day 1

This also may have convinced me to see a similar show this weekend for the Disrupt Festival with so many of the same bands. 

Also I won two free tickets to Blink 182 and Lil Wayne next week (unrelated to Warped Tour, just happened to win the local lottery which I've won at least one set of tickets every year).  Not really excited or interested in that one, but since it's free...

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #289 on: July 02, 2019, 02:04:09 AM »
Coheed & Cambria -  Wow.  I went in totally blind for them when I bought the ticket and my only exposure of them, prior to listening to their albums, was watching a short live stream of them in Rock In Rio Las Vegas and for that song, Ten Speed, that's on Rock Band.  They put on a tremendous set.  Everything was on point.  The band's energy, the crowd singing along to almost anything, the visuals.  They went 90 minutes which would be just about the minimum amount of a single headliner set.  Their set did compose of stuff from Unheavenly Creatures and a good amount of their staples (at least, I think they were staples judging on how people were singing along to them).  You would think judging the way the crowd was singing along that this was their own headlining tour and, quite frankly, I think the right call was made for them to be the last band of the night and have the most amount of time.  Their vocalist, Claudio Sanchez, got the crowd to sing Happy Birthday as a recorded message on his phone to send to his Grandpa, who he stated turned 100 today, but he couldn't make it to the celebration because of the tour and this show.  Speaking of Claudio, I was quite amazed on how he performed so well with all of that long hair that reminds me of Hagrid from Harry Potter.  Anyway, I think they got a new fan out of me and if they announced another tour that includes the LA area (whether it is co-headlining or just by themselves) I will be there and I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable full GA price.  I put this set up there with some of my favorites of this year (Switchfoot, Within Temptation, Winery Dogs, Disturbed, Nothing More).

Coheed fans go hard, every time. As my #1 favourite band I'm biased but they are incredible live and their fans tend to be pretty fanatical. They could likely play a varied set every night and the crowd would still be singing every word. I've been listening to them for 14 years now and I'm still not sick of their music. I can't say that for any other band! Hope you get sucked into their world, it's pretty great!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: July 03, 2019, 12:35:58 PM »
Damn, Warped Tour is a few days over now but I'm still getting goosebumps just thinking about all of the awesomeness I was able to experience.  The weekend was one of the best of my life. 

Let's start with the annoying part.  The first day was fairly unorganized.  The set's weren't posted until almost noon, which is the same time the doors open and also the same time the first band went on  :facepalm: So while I was in AC at noon, I was not in the venue and I did not get until 1:30 right as Less Than Jake had started.  Thank god I had VIP (for 100 more, it was sooooo worth it) so I didn't have to wait 2 hours to get in on the GA line.  Anyway, the VIP area had a dedicated large tent with bars and food and fans and chairs and a view of the main stage.  This made my weekend perfect having this spot to chill.  The rest of the event was on the beach so just imagine sand everywhere.  The festival area was huge, I didn't even make it to the other side on day 1.  Took so long to get to the midway point, that I turned around because I dind't want to miss the next band, but with the sand and so many people, getting around was difficult.  Add in the heat and some booze and yea, it was a mess if you didn't have your head on straight.

Anyway, I already listed before all the bands I saw.  I'll just talk about the highlights from the weekend:

The singer of Circa Survive at the end of their set said he wanted to go into the ocean, jumped into the crowd and crowd surfed his way there.  I lost site as he got close to the beach so I only assumed he made it but someone posted a video from the beach end and how it ended, at the end it was one guy still carrying and they both fell over into the water  :lol so awesome! Here's that person's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRIDvb8mI5g

There was a rain delay for 90 minutes, during this they made everyone leave the beach and it lead to people climbing fences.  It looked like something out of a zombie apocalypse, on our way back into the festival, there were so many people just rushing in, the security guard literally got up and said "im done" and left as anyone and everyone just came in.  Clearly letting anyone back in would be a big security threat, oh well, all went well in the end.

After the rain delay there were problems wtih the Mics on the main stage.  Good charlotte experienced some issues, but 311 got it the worst as it ruined their set, but it did make it interesting to see a 311 show where the second singer couldn't be heard at all.  Made all those harmonics between the two singers sound different with just one of them.  Thank god I am seeing this band again this summer, I'd be so upset if that was my only show for them this year.

A Day to Remember was probably the wildest set of the weekend.  Crowd fillled up the main stage area for this band.  I didn't know them at all, had no idea they had this big crowd for them.  They showed why, definitely the band that won me over the most.  THe highlight was them getting people to surf on the crowdsurfers! <---The COOLEST thing I've seen at a concert all year

Anti-flag's singer just didn't sing in the crowd for their last song, they moved half of the drummers set into the crowd and he played there as well!  Definitely never saw that before either (although I couldn't really see the drummer) but it took some time to move things down there but that was definitely cool to see.

The Used did a cover (or part of it) of Oasis's Wonderwall and then said Oasis sucks  :lol This was just fun and surprising! They also did a song with the singer of Sleeping with Sirens

Blink 182 did the song Aliens Exist and out came all these inflatable aliens.... and sex dolls  :rollin to see these just flying around like crazy all song was just hilarious, I couldn't imagine what this show must have been like from the front row.

And lastly here is a pic someone took with a drone (there were plenty of helicopters, planes, and drones all in the air all day)

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #291 on: July 03, 2019, 05:46:33 PM »
So, after much considerations regarding stuff like flight travel, traveling from the Airport to the hotel room to drop off my bag, and then walking to the potential venue and getting in line, I have come to the conclusion that I cannot go to the Breaking Benjamin concert one day and then travel to Orlando to get to the Alter Bridge Walk the Sky album Listening Party in a timely fashion the next day.  Therefore, since I really want to go to Orlando to see AB above all else, I'm pulling out of seeing Breaking Benjamin. 

It's not a big deal.  Breaking Benjamin has been in the OC for four straight years.  I'm sure they will be back in these parts next year.  Missing out on Chevelle sorta sucks since that's one of those bands to check off on my list.  In any case, I don't think I can get a refund for the ticket from Groupon, but I wonder if it is possible to relist a ticket that I got from Groupon and what would be the best site?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: July 05, 2019, 03:46:13 PM »
It's not a big deal.  Breaking Benjamin has been in the OC for four straight years.  I'm sure they will be back in these parts next year.  Missing out on Chevelle sorta sucks since that's one of those bands to check off on my list.  In any case, I don't think I can get a refund for the ticket from Groupon, but I wonder if it is possible to relist a ticket that I got from Groupon and what would be the best site?

For one, yea Breaking Benjamin comes around a lot, you can miss them plus they hardly change their setlist of lately (watch this summer tour be totally different) but for groupon, I am not sure if you can relist them.  The ticket I got once with groupon was not transferable, but maybe you need to contact them and if you can sell it, stubhub is super easy. 

I'm definitely going to the Disrupt Festival tomorrow.  It's mini warped tour essentially and I am still on a warped high.  Looking forward to seeing The Used, The Story So Far, Thrice, and Sleeping with Sirens the most.  Debating how early I want to get there though for the opening bands. I don't have much going on so I might go earlier.  Also, stubhub has VIP seat tickets for 13 bucks for this  :hat

Offline jayberwanger

« Reply #293 on: July 07, 2019, 12:08:02 AM »
I want to see Dokken.  Don Dokken just announced on the Classic Metal Show that drummer Mick Brown has resigned.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #294 on: July 08, 2019, 02:07:53 AM »
Whose idea is it to put a Slipknot headlining show in an amphitheater with seats with no chances for mosh pits?  It just doesn't make sense.

Sh1t like that makes the baby Jesus cry.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: July 09, 2019, 12:07:13 PM »

Sh1t like that makes the baby Jesus cry.

I absolutely love the venue, it's so close to home and personal to me in some ways plus so many good shows play there... but you are sooo right that these type of shows do not fit the venue at all.  Technically I was not totally true though, there is a lawn where potentially you can mosh, but well, it's on an incline and the security is pretty lax there overall but if there's a big pit, they will stop it. 

Having said that, one band had something to say about the seated venue last weekend when I went back to that spot for the Disrupt Festival  :lol another concert that this venue just didn't work for.  But also, not totally true.  The festival started off the most fun IMO with a side stage in the parking lot.  There were a bunch of bands starting at 1pm but I didn't get there until 4ish when Four Year Strong went on.  They were cool, never heard them before, but there was a nice big crowd for the side stage for them. 

Then came Sleeping with Sirens.  I really enjoy this band who I just listened to for the first time a week or so ago.  Just super catchy and the guys voice is very, well, girly but I like it, I like how he can sound so versatile.  The best part, they sounded fantastic live including him.  He actually apologized saying he was having a bad day, if he didn't say it, I wouldn't of known.  Since this was in the parking lot, you could mosh and boy was this an epic circle pit that they got to go around the sound booth while I sat there on the rail in the middle of it all  :rollin so fucking amazing, I think it's one of the coolest things I've ever captured on film https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEjuKxXvVqI

I highly suggest watching that whole video although the music doesnt start until 1:20, but at 1:43 you see a guy in a green shirt fall down and gets up and comes next to me.  His girl comes over and chills with him while I continue filming and watching in amazement, next thing I know at 4:00 the guy passes out onto me.  Since he was on the rail and then slid onto me, he never hit the floor which was good and I was able to get him back up with his girl really quick.  He was exhausted I think, it was super hot and humid.  Security came right over after, thanked and took care of him, but that's actually the second time someone's passed out and fell onto me, while filming (the other was last year during Offspring).

After them, the festival moved to the main stage in the amphitheater and to the seats which were mostly empty.  Kind of killed that awesome vibe from the parking lot, and even though I didn't mosh, just from being in that heat, I was drenched in sweat.  Now I'm sitting next to literally 6 really attractive girls and I'm drenched with my camera.  Atreyu came on and were really cool.  I liked them a lot, more metal than anyone at the festival and the singer came into the crowd right next to my section.  Next was The Story So Far and they sounded good, the sun came out and shined right on them as it was starting to set which made the scenery really cool (and made my video look much more vibrant than any other).  Then came Circa Survive who is probably the only band of the day I really had no interest in.  I chilled on the lawn for most of their set  :hat

Then came Thrice as it got dark out finally and cooler.  I'm guessing them and Atreyu would be the only bands of interest to this forum for their more technicality then the others.  The singer's got a great voice and I thought they looked/sounded much better than at Warped Tour.  And finally on came The Used who most people I spoke to, came to see (all the girls in my section).  They had some energy and put on a fun show, I really thought the singer wasn't a very good singer though.  His voice sounded so strained, but he had energy and the crowd loved it, I enjoyed it.  It was a good time for 15 bucks.

Next concert at the same venue is tonight, I won tickets and I wouldn't be going otherwise, but Blink 182 and Lil Wayne so it's certainly going to be interesting.  It sold pretty well too (unlike the last couple shows there) so I expect a huge crowd tonight for this odd pairing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: July 12, 2019, 01:37:52 PM »
Well the rap show of Lil Wayne was a bit different for me.  Actually enjoyed it for the most part, I mean, it's not really my music but I think after seeing him live (with a good seat so I had a good view/sound) I respect his work more.  He had an hour long set and pretty much didn't stop.  He had a full band behind him with a HUGE stage set up, drums, bass, guitar, and a DJ/keyboard/shouter dude.  The music side wasn't anything interesting, but I enjoyed the live performance of it all.  Lil Wayne's rapping, I had never heard his music before just knew him by name, was solid.  He sounded good and kept making it a point about how much the fans mean to him.  He said he was shocked when he started his set about how huge the crowd was (it was almost sold out huge amphitheater).  Just came off as rather genuine and not unlike a lot of my favorite metal artists in terms of crowd interaction, performance, and purpose.  I thought it was refreshing and cool.  I won't be buying his albums or going to his solo show, but with the pairing kind of odd, I felt like it was a good show and the crowd seemed into it too.  Also he had lots of pyro and I'm a sucker for some burn baby burn.  Which thinking about it, the whole venue was a cloud of marijuana smoke, maybe that's why everyone was into it  :hat

and in case you want to watch a performance of a short song (seems all his songs were short and kind of just flowed into each other, which was really cool) Lil Wayne - A Milli LIVE @ PNC Bank Arts Center

Then Blink 182 came on, they performed the entire Enema of the State album for its 20th anniversary.  What was cool is that they started the show bare bones.  Essentially three guys playing, the drums were on the floor up front.  I liked this a lot, maybe more so cause I was close enough that the closeness mattered more.  Here's how they started Blink 182- Don't Leave Me with the second song.  Just raw old school pop punk.  As the album performance went on, the show slowly started getting more elaborate.  Using more of the lights, the band members moving to the side steps, adding smoke.  It was really cool slowly seeing the progress through the play of the album from being raw to adding the show. 

There was a short break after they finished the album, not a full break, just like 5 minutes before the guitarist and bassist re-appeared in the crowd to perform a couple acoustic songs.  Knowing this venue well, I found the best spot to be to get a high 5 from the bassist on the way back to the stage.  As I waited on the barricade, I happened to end up between two ladies fighting  :lol they were bickering so bad at each other while I kept trying to say "stop fighting, enjoy the show the band is about to come right here!" to which they kept just yelling at each other.  Whatever, I dind't get the high 5 but I was close.  Definitely got a good yell at him  :lol

They did another 8 or so songs with Travis' drum kit ontop in the back in his little dome and the full show opened up.  We got a new song which was cool and then they finished it with a few hits.  So I essentially paid 8 bucks for this ticket (got two free lawn tickets, bought one upgrade for 20, sold the other lawn for 12, so 8 bucks total) and it was well worth it. 

Blink 182 and Lil Wayne LIVE

Next concert up is tomorrow night, same venue for Third Eye Blind and Jimmy Eat World.  I've seen these bands before and it's not something I totally love, but a few friends are going, it's a saturday night, weather looks good, can't think of a better way to enjoy a summer night than some live music.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #297 on: July 12, 2019, 03:30:36 PM »
Well the rap show of Lil Wayne was a bit different for me.  Actually enjoyed it for the most part, I mean, it's not really my music but I think after seeing him live (with a good seat so I had a good view/sound) I respect his work more.  He had an hour long set and pretty much didn't stop.  He had a full band behind him with a HUGE stage set up, drums, bass, guitar, and a DJ/keyboard/shouter dude.  The music side wasn't anything interesting, but I enjoyed the live performance of it all.  Lil Wayne's rapping, I had never heard his music before just knew him by name, was solid.  He sounded good and kept making it a point about how much the fans mean to him.  He said he was shocked when he started his set about how huge the crowd was (it was almost sold out huge amphitheater).  Just came off as rather genuine and not unlike a lot of my favorite metal artists in terms of crowd interaction, performance, and purpose.  I thought it was refreshing and cool.  I won't be buying his albums or going to his solo show, but with the pairing kind of odd, I felt like it was a good show and the crowd seemed into it too.  Also he had lots of pyro and I'm a sucker for some burn baby burn.  Which thinking about it, the whole venue was a cloud of marijuana smoke, maybe that's why everyone was into it  :hat[/url]

Wow.  what you saw is quite the contrast from what I read in this Loudwire link.  It could be just a bad day for him on that particular show in that link.  Those kinds of personal rough nights can happen to anyone and rock news outlets caught it.  He did confirm on Twitter in that link that he isn't quitting the tour.

https://loudwire.com/lil-wayne-hints-last-night-blink-182-tour/

Anyway, still waiting for a week from Sunday to see Shinedown.  I've been going over listening their catalog.  My goodness, what a huge difference the band sounded from Leave a Whisper and Us and Them to Amaryllis - present.  Those guys sounded really raw and authentic in the best way in the first two albums and perhaps they probably polished their sound a little too much, especially in the last two albums.  Oh well, it's a $25.00 ticket in the bleachers and free parking at FivePoint.  It's a nice night out the day after my birthday.  I might as well celebrate it well.  I'm probably going to also head over to the Irvine Spectrum Center mall before the show which is close to the amphitheater to relax and all and take a look at the scenery. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 03:40:38 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: July 12, 2019, 05:15:52 PM »
Wow damn, but I don't understand, it's because there was a small crowd? Or because he doesn't like performing live?  I wasn't sure what that really meant.  I thought he seemed fine at the NJ show a few nights earlier and it looks like setlist.fm doesn't show a full set, but it certainly seemed like he did that night.  I'm guessing something happened that didn't vibe well with him, which isn't surprising especially if he's not used to performing live like this.  I could see the punk fans treating him real poorly.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #299 on: July 12, 2019, 05:46:39 PM »
I could see the punk fans treating him real poorly.

Those fans like Blink-182.  Not to be cruel (though it will sound like it), but I honestly think that alone should remove them of any right to treat any artists poorly.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #300 on: July 12, 2019, 06:36:11 PM »
I could see the punk fans treating him real poorly.

Those fans like Blink-182.  Not to be cruel (though it will sound like it), but I honestly think that alone should remove them of any right to treat any artists poorly.

I agree, but I can see it from some types of people though.  I didn't see any of this at the show I went to.  I read some comments on that youtube video and they all seem to say it was raining and traffic so people couldn't get into the venue and their seats in time so it was pretty empty there.  Shit happens, you can check out some videos on my channel of bands (known bands too) playing to empty houses.  He's probably not used to it, but the show must go on.  Poor attitude but I think it's good if he sticks with it, for himself.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: July 15, 2019, 03:28:35 PM »
Another awesome weekend at my local amphitheater.  Tailgated early with my friend and their friends on the very hot but nice day.  First band was Ra Ra Riot who I really didn't care for honestly.  I was glad they were over quickly and we got an hour long set from Jimmy Eat World.  Never really been a big fan of them, and thought they were fine.  The hit songs were fun, gets the crowd all singing and I enjoyed my time during their set.  The crowd was huge also, pretty packed house.  3 18 year old girls smoked me up with their blunt sitting on the lawn.   That was probably the highlight of my night  :lol they were chill, nice and we had good conversation (they thought I was 23  :eek).  Then Third Eye Blind came on.  I put them in the same boat as Jimmy Eat World, not really a band I love or really am into, but they were good and I had a fun time for their set.  Since I sat on the lawn and was mostly with friends, I didn't get as much or nearly as good of a video for this show, but there's quite a few buried hilarious moments in this video just because my friend and I were so trashed from tailgating  :lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqdgzdhmaGQ

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: July 19, 2019, 11:44:18 AM »
It's that time of summer again, 311 coming to the area  :hat The best part of not going on the work trip to Singapore was being able to be home the next week.  Leaving work early to drive down to Philly for the 3rd time in 4 years to see 311 in the city of brotherly love.  I don't know why, but I absolutely love seeing 311 in Philly even though I really was never a fan of the city.  Sadly, those past concerts were all outdoors in an awesome venue by the river (Penns Landing, which is now closed  :( ) but tonight is in a newly renovated big theater called The Met Philly.  Looks beautiful so I am really excited to check out a new venue and I only just now got a ticket for the sold out pit for under face value  :biggrin: I don't know how, I just got lucky I guess someone listed it low on ticketmaster yet on stubhub they are double the price.  Win for me because this is the show you really enjoy from the pit, not in the balcony. 

Also with them are The Dirty Heads and The Interrupters, so this is going to be a real fun night... and I'll do it all again Wednesday when the tour comes to my hometown in NJ.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #303 on: July 20, 2019, 06:28:56 AM »
Last weekend I was at my local rock festival. Artists you guys might know are Alcest, Perturbator and Shame. Alcest was the one I was expecting the most and they did not disappoint. An amazing, ethereal experience and a killer setlist. Perturbator was cool and I was surprised how metal it actually was, with James regularly banging his head behind the keyboards, but some of the songs were kinda... same-y. I might prefer Carpenter Brut when it comes to synthwave but a good show nevertheless. Shame was a real positive surprise. I had never heard of them before, but they came out of the gates with raw fucking energy. Seriously, one of the most fun shows I've ever seen. They're young (I doubt they're older than me) British post-punk band with 80s flair. It was almost like the year was 1985 and the venue was The Hacienda. Or something. Anyways, I danced for about all the gig. And I very rarely dance in public. :lol I hope these guys make it big, 'cause they do deserve it.

Last Wednesday I saw Ministry. They're still major tour de force, even though I'm not sure exactly how much came from backing tapes. Al Jourgensen is one charismatic motherfucker, even though he's not as animated performer as he used to be. They started with their latest (largely disappointing) AmeriKKKant record, which did sound better live and then moved on to their classic late 80s/early 90s material. And the crowd went fucking wild. Especially with Jesus Built My Hotrod. I certainly didn't expect them to play it, even though it's one of their biggest hits, it's been played quite scarcely. Well, they're one off the bucketlist.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #304 on: July 20, 2019, 06:41:33 AM »
In a span of a week I'll see 311 & Iron Maiden.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: July 20, 2019, 09:28:13 AM »
In a span of a week I'll see 311 & Iron Maiden.

Up the irons  :metal :metal such a fun show last night

I'll leave you with a good feeling  :hat

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #306 on: July 20, 2019, 12:33:26 PM »
Nice...Dirty Heads are always good.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #307 on: July 20, 2019, 07:02:55 PM »
At the bar in the casino, waiting for doors to open for Kansas.

Im expecting it to be a good show. Place was pretty much sold out when i bought my ticket (early this morning).
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #308 on: July 22, 2019, 10:31:43 AM »
Anybody familiar at all with Greg Howe's music and/or live show? He's playing at a jazz club in NYC later this week, and with an online promo code the ticket is only $20 after fees. I'm completely unfamiliar with him though, so debating whether I want to make the trek into the city after work.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: July 24, 2019, 01:05:57 PM »
Late and quick write up, drove down to Philly last Friday for 311 and Dirty Heads at a newly renovated venue The Met Philly which I thought was really nice, plus an outdoor area.  The show was awesome, such chill music performed well surrounded by good people.  Highlights were during Dirty Head's Moontower (a song about smoking weed) there was a joint being passed around on the floor and security came by but she was clearly not really trying to stop it, she definitely wanted in  :lol so myself and another dude blocked her from wherever the joint was and just kept singing the lyrics "Let's all get high...Look up at the starlit sky"  :rollin she just kept laughing and let that joint "burn slow" (dirty heads reference for the no one here who follows them).  311 were great as usual, short set for them without the normal random set list, but 5 new songs which I all enjoyed. 

311 and Dirty Heads Live in Philly

Same show tonight in my home town, just hoping to actually get there in time to catch the Interrupters!

And next up.... Maiden Weekend in Brooklyn™ What a fantastic week of concerts.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #310 on: July 24, 2019, 01:10:31 PM »
Late and quick write up, drove down to Philly last Friday for 311 and Dirty Heads at a newly renovated venue The Met Philly which I thought was really nice, plus an outdoor area.  The show was awesome, such chill music performed well surrounded by good people.  Highlights were during Dirty Head's Moontower (a song about smoking weed) there was a joint being passed around on the floor and security came by but she was clearly not really trying to stop it, she definitely wanted in  :lol so myself and another dude blocked her from wherever the joint was and just kept singing the lyrics "Let's all get high...Look up at the starlit sky"  :rollin she just kept laughing and let that joint "burn slow" (dirty heads reference for the no one here who follows them).  311 were great as usual, short set for them without the normal random set list, but 5 new songs which I all enjoyed. 

311 and Dirty Heads Live in Philly

Same show tonight in my home town, just hoping to actually get there in time to catch the Interrupters!

And next up.... Maiden Weekend in Brooklyn™ What a fantastic week of concerts.

Haha thats amazing. I'd be part of that circle during that song. It's such a chillax song. I bet they did Burn Slow as well. Also....Goonies never say die.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: July 24, 2019, 01:13:39 PM »
Of course they played those songs too, dude, that circle blocking off security was one of the coolest thing Ive ever seen from a group a strangers working together during a chill song.  Helps that security was totally chill, probably another reason why i enjoyed that venue.  We all went outside after their set and smoked another one laughing about that moment, security didn't care about it outside, understandable. 

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #312 on: July 24, 2019, 04:09:08 PM »
Shame was a real positive surprise. I had never heard of them before, but they came out of the gates with raw fucking energy. Seriously, one of the most fun shows I've ever seen. They're young (I doubt they're older than me) British post-punk band with 80s flair. It was almost like the year was 1985 and the venue was The Hacienda. Or something. Anyways, I danced for about all the gig. And I very rarely dance in public. :lol I hope these guys make it big, 'cause they do deserve it.
quoting this so I can remember to check them out later.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: July 26, 2019, 10:31:40 AM »
It was a beautiful NJ night for 311 and Dirty Heads, round 2, and I was glad to have made it to see the entire Interrupters set, which I really enjoyed.  It's a bit odd when there are more people on the lawn than in the seats below though, kind of an odd dynamic that the bands definitely must have noticed making shout outs to the lawn quite often while people sat in the seats.  Definitely not one of the better vibes from a 311 show, but this crowd was all young and every single person I talked to was there for Dirty Heads.  Literally like 16 year olds covered the lawn  :lol Didn't really bother me though, I enjoyed myself and 311 hasn't been rotating songs like they usually do, so only got 3 different songs. 

311, Dirty Heads & The Interrupters LIVE PNC Bank Arts Center NJ

Packing my bags and heading out to Brooklyn in a bit for a weekend with Iron Maiden  :metal

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #314 on: July 27, 2019, 11:11:53 AM »
So.  I had a fun week this week.  Went to two shows at the FivePoint Amphitheater in Irvine, CA.  Sure, the venue is basically in the middle of nowhere in warm SoCal summer weather (although it was a five mile drive away from the Irvine Spectrum which has a lot of shops and restaurants and entertainment).  At least the parking was free and I was able to get in and get out without having to wait in line.  Big value in that one since I spent $25.00 and $20.00 for the tickets for the two shows.  Heck, I've spent that kind of money for parking alone in concerts this year.  Anywho, I'm going to start my thoughts on the Shinedown show, last Sunday, the day after my birthday.

As mentioned before, there was three opening bands on this bill.  The first band was Broken Hands.  I can't recall much from them.  They stated that they were from the UK and that this was their first time playing in California.  I do recall some of the staff of the venue handing out voucher codes to people of the band's latest album.  You got to get all the exposure you can take.  Second opener was Dinosaur Pile-Up.  Much better opener.  I didn't know that it was a three piece band.  Someone behind me said that this band reminded them of Nirvana, Weezer, and Foo Fighters (that sorta 90s altrock style) and I think their sound description is accurate.  Heck, one of their songs they played reminded me of Foo Fighters' White Limo.  Also, they stated that they didn't have a backdrop when they started the tour with Shinedown and Shinedown went out of their way to provide them with one with Dinosaur Pile-up's logo.  That's pretty cool of Shinedown to do that.  Anyway, they closed the set with Backfoot which Octane has been playing on the regular and probably the band's most well-known song for the time being.

Main support was Badflower and I think the atmosphere in the room really picked it up when Badflower came out.  One thing, the weather cooled down considerably compared to the first band opening and even Badflower pointed that out.  Another thing is that they had great energy and their lead vocalist was crowdsurfing at some point and that lasted way longer than when I saw the guy from Smash Into Pieces do it at the In Flames/Within Temptation show in LA.  I think they played well enough to justify being in the main support slot for a Shinedown amphitheater tour.  These guys have been making waves on active rock radio.  Their songs Heroin and Ghost has been played often.  Those guys were pretty busy this year as well when they were opening up for Nothing More (in which the only show they didn't play on that tour was the LA show I was at and now that I had the hindsight of seeing Badflower, I really wished they were a part of it. I would have enjoyed it more than Hyro the Hero although Hyro was good and got the room moving and pushing.) and they are doing this tour with Shinedown.  They said that they will come back to their hometown of LA for their own show later this year and I might catch them at some point.  I can see this band going far.  Not as going as far as filling up Fivepoint, but far enough to stick around for a good while and maybe play bigger rooms like the Wiltern or even maybe Hollywood Palladium in short order.

Now I have to sorta address the sad news. Sadly, I don't think this show sold great.  This place can fill up to 12,000 people and I think at its peak when Shinedown came out, I think there was around 7,000-8,000 people (even that could be an overestimate, I don't know).  There was a lot of empty seats in the top 20 worst rows in like at least two of 300 sections.  Yeah, I was checking Ticketmaster while waiting for the first band to come out and saw that there was a lot of seats left and that Ticketmaster was doing the buy one, get one free deals for all the sections (even the pit section where tickets were going as high as $95+).  This all sounds a bit disappointing for a band that has accumulated 14 singles at #1 on the mainstream active rock charts (which I think is the most in history in that radio format.  Three Days Grace may have more or the same.) It could very well be due to oversaturation since Shinedown did play in FivePoint Amphitheater last year as a co-headliner with Godsmack.  Naturally, with two big named bands on the bill co-headlining, it looks more easier to have a bigger crowd than a single headliner for an amphitheater show.

One day, I wish Ticketmaster/Live Nation cares more about getting as many people in the venue and get the show sold out at a fair value that consumers would pay for bands like Shinedown and the likes rather than suck every ounce of money out of the people that's willing to go and have a nice night out.

Anywho, intermission came and Shinedown decided to curtain up and when 9:15 hit, they played on tape that short intro to Attention Attention (the song) and started with a bang (literally, with pyro coming out) with their lead single of Attention Attention (the album), Devil, they brought some good visuals.  This was my view of the stage below and I think this is a pretty good view for $25.00. 

After that, they played probably the song that really got me into Shinedown, Diamond Eyes, before Brent Smith decided to start his first speech of the night with the whole "I want you to look at the person on your left and your right" get acquainted speech.  Onwards, they played Enemies and then played a few songs off Attention Attention (Black Soul and Monsters) and some songs off Amaryllis (Unity, Bully, and I'll Follow You) and one of their big oldest songs, 45.  The crowd may not have been sold out, but they were singing along to virtually everything.  Again, not the hardest thing to do when Shinedown has 14 #1 singles on rock radio and 26 singles that hit at least top 10.  Also, I think the band had great energy and although people have accused of Brent Smith of either miming or using vocal backing tracks to make up for the notes he couldn't hit nowadays, I didn't spot that in this show.  If he did, then I was fooled since it sounded live enough where he sang certain chorus lines that didn't sound like exactly the studio version. More like singing it in a way that doesn't strain the voice.

After they were finish Bully, they opted to take a small five minute break.  Why?  So that they can split up where one of the band members get their own section to interact with the people in the further sections.  Here was my photo of it.  Not the best quality.

From there, they played Amaryllis, Through the Ghost, How Did You Love, and Second Chance.  With Second Chance getting the biggest singalong of the night where I couldn't hear Brent Smith at all or the music for that matter.  It was that big crossover into other radio markets of a song for Shinedown.  Afterwards, they took another break to find their way back into the main stage and in the meanwhile, they had an audio of a piano version of Linkin Park's Numb played in full which was a decent gesture as the show took place the day after the anniversary of Chester Bennington's passing.  Then, an image of Chris Cornell came out on the screen and Brent and guitarist Zach Myers was back on the stage playing the first half of Black Hole Sun which again was a nice gesture as it was the day after what would have been Chris Cornell's birthday (which took on the same day as my birthday).  It shows that for these big modern rock bands, the healing of these passings never ends and that the impact that Chester and Chris had on the world and to rock music is massive.

Anyway, onwards, they played their big cover of Lynyrd Skynyrd's Simple Man and their lead single off Threat to Survival, Cut the Cord before Brent Smith went on a speech of the usual positive stuff you would expect (we wouldn't be here without you guys, we don't care where you came from or whatnot, you guys are here now and that no one in the room has a negative energy).  Then they played one of the few songs I liked from Attention Attention, Get Up, and I think I saw a couple actually dancing together on the aisle during it.  A very sombering song, but one with a bright message telling us to keep going even when we are at our lowest moments in life.  To close it off, they played their heaviest track in their catalog, Sound of Madness, before closing it off on a positive and upbeat song in the form of Brilliant.

Overall, I may not like the Attention Attention album that much, but the songs they played from it sounded good.  The rest of the set was full of the big recognizable singles that represents Shinedown.  The only gripes I had with the set is that they probably played too much from the Amaryllis album.  Six songs from an album that's not in support of the tour is too much no matter what band you are.  Another gripe I have is that they didn't anything from Us and Them which sucks so much since that's my favorite album from Shinedown.  They didn't played anything from it as well in the free show I went to back in 2013 at the LA County Fair.  I don't even mind it if they play only one song from it, but with only six albums, and you are not playing anything from a great album, it sucks that it basically tells me that the band treats that album like it never had existed.

Anyway, enough of the negatives.  The positives is that their set went from 9:15 - 10:55 and even with the downtime of them transition stages and Brent Smith's speeches, which were surprisingly not that many that I anticipated, they probably went 90+ minutes of playing time with the 18-19 songs they played.  That's really excellent as I thought with three opening bands on the bill, Shinedown would cop out and play like 75 minutes.  Nope, they give a solid headlining set filled with good visuals and some pyro and obviously, it was worth the $25.00 I paid on Groupon.

Man, this write-up took me over 70 minutes.  I had so many things I want to say and it's probably going to take that long to write my thoughts on Zac Brown Band, but I will do that later today.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 11:19:05 AM by Anguyen92 »