Author Topic: Anything related to automobiles  (Read 103939 times)

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Anything related to automobiles
« Reply #840 on: April 14, 2020, 02:32:56 PM »
So after swearing I would never, ever have another bmw after my last m3 that I got rid of last year I just put my deposit down for a m340i being delivered who knows when due to Covid. I'm going to the performance car delivery in South Carolina when it does arrive which should be exciting. After a few weeks of emailing back and forth across a ton of dealers I got a great price and I'm really pumped. This is the first brand luxury car that I'm getting. The car will look like this except a different interior color:

So is it just a 340I with an M package, or have they changed their nomenclature [again]?

there is the 330i, 330e (electric variant) and the m340, the m340 is the turbo charged 6 cylinder. The new m4 and (I'm assuming) m3 is coming but I'm not a big fan of the looks nor will I be able to get as good of a deal on one.

There are some left over m4's left over that I looked at but I like the tech of the new bmw and the performance is near enough the same for me. Other cars I considered where a cayman gts and 911.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #841 on: April 14, 2020, 02:41:41 PM »
You have any experience driving Porsches? Seems like going from a perfectly balanced F-R to an amazingly ass-heavy R-R would be quite a change. BMWs are highly forgiving. Porsches are anything but. At least that used to be the case. Maybe they're mellowed them out a bit now.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online goo-goo

« Reply #842 on: April 14, 2020, 02:55:00 PM »
Thanks Reap and Barto for the feedback. I'm good with maintenance, however, I pretty much don't have much DIY maintenance experience. I have a very good mechanic that services my Jetta 2014 and all of the European brands. One thing I have with the Jetta that absolutely pisses me off is the door locks. I have replaced the door locks 3 times at the tune of 400 bucks each with labor. Aside that, the car itself has been pretty reliable. No engine problems, no pump or brake issues. I'm at 120k miles and I have done all the required maintenance. I realize the Jetta is not on the same league as the beemer, but the Jetta maintenance has been a little bit more expensive compared to a Chrysler Stratus (LOL) I used to own. So if the maintenance costs of a Jetta are similar to a beemer, then I'm going all in. It's just hard to quantify maintenance costs because everybody has a different experience.

I'm also looking at the Audi A3 which has a similar frame as the Jetta (basically it's a luxury Jetta).

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #843 on: April 14, 2020, 03:18:57 PM »
You have any experience driving Porsches? Seems like going from a perfectly balanced F-R to an amazingly ass-heavy R-R would be quite a change. BMWs are highly forgiving. Porsches are anything but. At least that used to be the case. Maybe they're mellowed them out a bit now.

Limited experience with Porsches, my buddy owns a 991.2 Porsche and it's awesome but it's tough to justify the price for one. I have my eye on a few and if for some reason a couple of the 911s drop significantly down in price I might bounce on it. I have until delivery to back out of the bmw.

There is also the practicality of it. Having a 4 door would be nice as I drive my dog around 3 days a week.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #844 on: May 27, 2020, 11:26:17 AM »
So a year and 23,000 miles into my Tesla Model 3 and I've loved it thus far. Only real maintenance in that time was the two rear tires I just replaced. They passed inspection, but barely. I have an order in for a Model Y, simply because it offers just enough extra space that I can use it for some work-related tasks, but have held off converting on that transition for now. Near the start of the pandemic I got a call that they had a car for me and could have made the switch, but I want to wait another 6-18 months when I have some other financial obligations settled to take the hit in the switch.

It worked out to as Tesla can sort some issues with the early run cars and now they've added the option for a factory tow-hitch to be installed which I want.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #845 on: May 27, 2020, 12:30:52 PM »
That is a ton of miles put on in 1 year Nick.  Holy cow.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #846 on: May 27, 2020, 01:40:01 PM »
Nick, if Tesla offered a Model3 in a 5dr hatchback variant, something like a Mazda3 5dr, would you want that over the Y?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #847 on: May 27, 2020, 02:33:11 PM »
That is a ton of miles put on in 1 year Nick.  Holy cow.

Well, bare minimum I'd put on at least 14k for work a year if I just commuted to one location and back. Add on another 1-2k for going between locations and the rest in leisure and I expect just as many this year.

Nick, if Tesla offered a Model3 in a 5dr hatchback variant, something like a Mazda3 5dr, would you want that over the Y?

As long as I could fit what I wanted, and I likely could, I generally prefer a longer hatch over a taller CUV. Essentially I'd need the Model 3 to be 4-5" longer and have that hatch and I'd absolutely be on board.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #848 on: May 27, 2020, 03:30:29 PM »
So a year and 23,000 miles into my Tesla Model 3 and I've loved it thus far. Only real maintenance in that time was the two rear tires I just replaced. They passed inspection, but barely. I have an order in for a Model Y, simply because it offers just enough extra space that I can use it for some work-related tasks, but have held off converting on that transition for now. Near the start of the pandemic I got a call that they had a car for me and could have made the switch, but I want to wait another 6-18 months when I have some other financial obligations settled to take the hit in the switch.

It worked out to as Tesla can sort some issues with the early run cars and now they've added the option for a factory tow-hitch to be installed which I want.
. . .Work related tasks. You're not going to be hauling stiffs in it, are you?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #849 on: May 27, 2020, 06:15:05 PM »

. . .Work related tasks. You're not going to be hauling stiffs in it, are you?

That's exactly what I'm going to do. While it wouldn't hold a casket, it will hold a stretcher or are typical cremation container. So for pickups and transfers between locations the Model Y would be leaps and bounds more comfortable than any of the actual work vehicles. Having to drive one of them any distance is honestly always a down point in my day.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #850 on: June 21, 2020, 06:02:33 AM »
I want one. I don't care if it doesn't look like a pickup in the traditional sense. I think it looks like a hardcore, badass, offroad machine that can drive through a brick wall if I needed it to.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #851 on: June 21, 2020, 06:13:15 AM »
I did a Google image search for that picture, Chino, and got nothing! What is that picture from/of?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #852 on: June 21, 2020, 06:20:55 AM »
I did a Google image search for that picture, Chino, and got nothing! What is that picture from/of?

Someone posted it on r/ElonMusk on Reddit. There's few pictures over at r/Cybertruck as well. One got dropped off at the Petersen Auto Museum in LA yesterday.

Some other pics I've seen posted.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #853 on: June 22, 2020, 10:02:45 PM »
I've actually been offered to take delivery of my Model Y twice now, but I'm just not in the financial position to pull the trigger on it yet, and that being said the Cybertruck makes cancelling my order altogether a possibility.

I have absolutely no current need for the Cybertruck compared to the Model Y, but the value in that thing by comparison is nuts.

But I look at my Long Range configuration, without autopilot at 55k and then I look at the Cybertruck.

I pay 50k, get a bigger vehicle, with comparable range, that's faster.

Go top shelf and it's a lit bit more difficult. Model Y goes to 63k and Cybertruck to 70k.

Except then of course the truck is still bigger, is INSANELY fast, and has 200 more miles per charge. Not saying it's 7k difference I would want to spend, but it's 7k well spent.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #854 on: June 23, 2020, 07:19:34 AM »
I'm not down on electric cars generally or Tesla/Musk specifically (my daughter and I were talking about this yesterday, in fact, and it's on our radar) but that specific design is sort of the "Iron Maiden Dance of Death album cover" of electric cars.  :)

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #855 on: July 05, 2020, 05:39:28 AM »
Earlier in the thread I posted that I ordered an m340 from BMW. Well long story short but my order was cancelled due to the factory shut down in Germany. No big deal, my order was bumped out to October/November for a 2021. Well every once in a while I'd check to see if a dealer had something close to my build and last week I found one in Nashville. The car was white and was missing the advanced cruise control option but otherwise was exactly how I wanted mine, additionally after some back and forth I got a little over $8k off sticker so I drove up Friday and drove the car home yesterday.

The thing is an absolute beast compared to my older BMW that I got rid of. The miles melted away in this thing and I can't get wait to drive it some more today.

As a side note buying from BMW was night and day compared to buying my Hyundai or my wife's Genesis. I get to the dealer in the morning, all the paperwork was done and ready to be signed no games or last minute sales pitches. This is in total opposite to Hyundai/Genesis where they would try and squeeze every penny out of you, so much so that all the excitement of buying a car was lost.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #856 on: July 09, 2020, 10:35:35 AM »
Maybe because you had a deal worked out already?  I dont know, but the car buying process (once you've found the car you want) is so damn long and annoying so I can see why a smooth process would be something really nice.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #857 on: July 09, 2020, 02:52:33 PM »
When did oil changes become so expensive?

(Yes, I know I can do it myself, and am completely capable, but my living situation among other things prevent it).

I get paying for the convenience of the drive up places, but I feel like they've been hiking prices pretty badly. I could probably get a decent price going to one of the local privately owned mechanics, but the "stay in your car" aspect of some places is absolutely necessary right now due to Covid and my fiance's anxiety.

Gotta put tires on her PT as well, too bad my go to tire place doesn't do oil changes. I'm just not going to let her even think about the fact that I have to leave the safety of the car interior for her tires . 

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #858 on: July 09, 2020, 04:16:40 PM »
Can you drop off your car and pick it up when its done?  That's what I do for maintenance.

And I've had a lot of it this summer.  Two busted side mirrors, one on each car.  And air conditioner condenser, and a new muffler.  And still a little more to go on my car, but I can out it off since its emissions related only.  Ugh.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #859 on: July 09, 2020, 05:25:44 PM »
Maybe because you had a deal worked out already?  I dont know, but the car buying process (once you've found the car you want) is so damn long and annoying so I can see why a smooth process would be something really nice.

I was honestly full prepared to have to renegotiate when I got there, I made sure to bring an extra large coffee:lol but no the actual process was really enjoyable.

Can you drop off your car and pick it up when its done?  That's what I do for maintenance.

This if possible, or depending on the car and your place at home you can always knock out the oil change yourself. I used to do that with my past cars.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #860 on: July 09, 2020, 05:50:56 PM »

I'll let you know if I ever drive a car with motor oil again. :biggrin:

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #861 on: July 09, 2020, 06:21:54 PM »
When they switched from plain ole dinosaur oil to high-tech dinosaur oil. When somebody figured out how to make oil last 3 times longer they had to charge 3 times more for it. Yay capitalism!

I was bitching about oil changes over the weekend. I can buy a five quart jug of 0w40 for $23. The 1.8 quarts extra quarts I need to do the job will run $17. Invariably the choices are to get thoroughly ripped off or buy more oil than you need. Theoretically it will all even out in the long run, but it never prevents me from having to buy more oil for every oil change, and occasionally (like last weekend) two who jugs.

In any case, use the extra money the oil change place wants to gouge you and spend it on decent jack and a drain pan. You'll never have to get gouged again because the job is so easy, and if you don't already have one a proper jack is a fantastic investment.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #862 on: July 10, 2020, 07:24:27 AM »
HAHAHAHA, I thought I was the only one bothered by that (the five gallon... and two quart purchase)!   

Gotta say, relative to the rest of the car, an oil change is like making a cup of coffee.  There's really no excuse.  On my Dodge, I don't even NEED a jack because it's so high, and on the BMW, the oil filter is right on top, right in front.   Couldn't be easier. 

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #863 on: July 10, 2020, 07:54:10 AM »
I loved that about my old BMW, there was a little access port on the bottom to reach the drain plug so you didn't have to take off the oil pan cover.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #864 on: July 11, 2020, 11:54:55 PM »
Well, some good news for my Model Y reservation.

Two weeks ago Tesla upped the price of full self driving 1k, but in the last day or two dropped the price of the Model Y 3k.

So I was able to go into my order, edit it with the new prices, and save 2k on it. :D

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #865 on: July 12, 2020, 07:52:34 AM »
That's great news Nick. When do you think you'll take delivery of the model y?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #866 on: July 12, 2020, 12:57:45 PM »
That's great news Nick. When do you think you'll take delivery of the model y?

I mean, Tesla has now twice reached out to try and get me to complete things on my end to take delivery and I'm just stalling at this point till I've got some home projects done and am on a more solid footing financially for it. Every month that goes by I get a little more equity in my 3, although not a lot since I took at at 72 months financing. Really my end goal is to have the same monthly payment I do now but at 60 months for the Y as opposed to 72 months as with the 3.

That said I've actually for the first time been toying with the idea of not getting full self driving on the Y. If I do that I can basically get the performance at the same price or my current config for 8k less, which really bumps up the timeline. Having FSD on the 3 having all the bells and whistles is nice, but the only thing I'll miss regularly is automatic lane changes. I don't really use navigate on autopilot, I don't use autopark all that often, and even as the city systems are getting better, I realize that with both that and highway it's not truly too valuable until I can officially say fuck it, let the car drive, and do whatever I like while it does.

I have no doubt that the FSD will be a beast in 2-3 years, but I don't foresee it being able to just let me let it drive due to all the regulatory hurdles. So with that said I think I'll save the money.

If I do go with Long Range w/o FSD at 52k I think I can realistically make it happen around October.

If I end up switching to performance (love the speed and the look of those tires), likely spring. I just hate the loss of range that comes with the 21" tires on the performance.

Sorry, long answer to an easy question, but I'm constantly kicking these options around in my head.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #867 on: July 13, 2020, 06:23:59 AM »
That all makes since. When I ordered my car I ticked every single option box and when it was bumped it was near impossible to one that had all those features, I did something and I finally thought "am I going to really use all these features after the novelty wears off?"

Have you driven a model y with 21 inch tires? How is the ride? Typically the larger the tire, the less sidewall, the rougher the ride.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #868 on: July 13, 2020, 02:59:39 PM »
How big of a mistake would it be to buy a Jeep Renegade (new or more likely used)?

The other half and I plan on getting rid of her PT Cruiser HOPEFULLY before the end of the year and getting another vehicle (Depending on our finances). She wants either a CRV, Soul, or Renegade.  As much as I LOVE the look of the little Renegade, I don't know if I can drive the reliability issues of newer Chryslers into her head.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #869 on: July 13, 2020, 03:54:37 PM »
I think it largely depends on how long you want to keep the Jeep. FCA is not know for reliability for things that aren't a Cherokee or wrangler. That said I think as with most things if you stay on top of problems as they come up you should be good.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #870 on: July 13, 2020, 04:52:11 PM »
I think it largely depends on how long you want to keep the Jeep. FCA is not know for reliability for things that aren't a Cherokee or wrangler. That said I think as with most things if you stay on top of problems as they come up you should be good.

This will be the first newer vehicle either of us have ever bought. She wants something that will last a long time. It's frustrating. I've been the one test driving, researching, etc every used car we've gotten since we've been together. I wish she would do some research herself instead of just asking me and seeming annoyed when I say"you probably shouldn't even look at X or Y" when she brings them up. It's ultimately going to be her car, so it's her decision.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #871 on: July 14, 2020, 11:50:07 AM »
I have to hand it to Ford. I think they did a pretty good job with the new Bronco. I'd be iffy on getting the 10 speed automatic though. I anecdotally think Ford sucks at everything when it comes to building a drivetrain, but it is cool that it's coming with a seven speed manual variant.  I wonder if Jeep is sweating at all.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 11:56:58 AM by Chino »

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #872 on: July 14, 2020, 01:40:21 PM »
I agree I think that it's a cool suv. I don't think the 10 speed is a big issue IMO. They've been using it in the raptor and mustang for a while now and people rave about it where as the MT82 manual transmission has had a few issues and recalls.

I don't think Jeep is too nervous, from the few Jeep people I know they are loyalists to the end.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #873 on: July 15, 2020, 08:43:49 PM »
That all makes since. When I ordered my car I ticked every single option box and when it was bumped it was near impossible to one that had all those features, I did something and I finally thought "am I going to really use all these features after the novelty wears off?"

Have you driven a model y with 21 inch tires? How is the ride? Typically the larger the tire, the less sidewall, the rougher the ride.

I have not driven any Model Y, but I am aware of the complaints about the larger tires. Only positives to the 8k upgrade to performance are speed and looks, and frankly I will have a hard time paying for that given that the regular Y is plenty fast, and there are those negatives you mentioned as well as less range. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE if they did like they had with the 3 for awhile and had a "Stealth" performance, same as Long Range Y, but 2k more for the additional speed. It's absolutely perfect for me. I'd make it work and complete my purchase tomorrow, no question.

I agree I think that it's a cool suv. I don't think the 10 speed is a big issue IMO. They've been using it in the raptor and mustang for a while now and people rave about it where as the MT82 manual transmission has had a few issues and recalls.

I don't think Jeep is too nervous, from the few Jeep people I know they are loyalists to the end.

The last people who should be making a 10-speed transmission if Ford. First off, just put in a CVT and be done with it, it's a better system anyway. Secondly, if it's even remotely as awful as the shit show that graced the Fiesta and Focus for awhile who the hell would want to feel that thing jump 10 times regularly.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #874 on: July 16, 2020, 05:35:24 AM »
My ex had a 2013 (I think) Focus. What a piece that thing was. Maybe she secretly beat the piss out of it, idk, but at 50K miles it felt like it had 150K on the odometer. It drove like a dog and took like 3 seconds to shift. I swear there were times when passing on the highway it'd go to downshift and then just shift back into the gear it was already in.