Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 915714 times)

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
Again, I don't think this stuff is supposed to be posted at this moment in time.
Oh sh**. Would u advise snipping it then? I don't think it's against the rules as they are approximations that haven't been clarified absolutely, but then again if you think so i'm happy to remove my post.
Edit for curious folk: nothing of interest, really...

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
Again, I don't think this stuff is supposed to be posted at this moment in time.
Oh sh**. Would u advise snipping it then? I don't think it's against the rules as they are approximations that haven't been clarified absolutely, but then again if you think so i'm happy to remove my post.

I'd play it safe.

edit: I'm not trying to mini-mod. Just no point in getting a ban over something like song lengths.

Offline tiagodon

Darth Vader will appear soon and he will eat your ass! :police: :biggrin:

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
meanwhile...

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
If the record company wanted certain details to be secret, they would've told the press not to disclose them. From what I know this has not been done, so information from reviewers like myself will contain information that this forum would view as spoilers and "non-official". I think the record company is well aware that once the review copies are sent out they have lost control of the flow of information, and that fact is calculated into the whole PR-engine.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
That sounds correct with what I have read before about advance copies of records and films given to reviewers - the record/film companies normally let the reviewers know if there are things they would prefer be kept secret.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
If the record company wanted certain details to be secret, they would've told the press not to disclose them. From what I know this has not been done, so information from reviewers like myself will contain information that this forum would view as spoilers and "non-official". I think the record company is well aware that once the review copies are sent out they have lost control of the flow of information, and that fact is calculated into the whole PR-engine.

Thank you for writing this post.
I love this forum for many things, but when it comes to "non-official" information some people go crazy. As if talking about songs lengths equals piracy and will cause John Petrucci's children to starve to death because he looses his income.

Offline matte.braso

at this point it's really possible that FAS it's shorter than the other instrumental (EM?). I was thinking at JP in ep.3 speaking about an instrumental, mainly, and 'technically' a second one, which sounds to me FAS is considered an instrumental of shorter dimensions (I don't think he means in terms of importance, cause it's the album opener).

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
I want to clarify that my post has nothing to do with what this forum has as guidelines and rules, and I am in no way contesting those rules. My statement was generic and not specific to this forum. If the mods on this forum do not want the track times posted, that's their prerogative.

Offline Petruccinator12

I always thought that only the first part of FAS would be the instrumental and the following two parts would be with vocals..

Offline Petruccinator12

Could someone tell me/us where he got the song length information from..?

Offline erciccio

Random song length generator machine (aka "Enigma Machine")
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di pił

Offline Petruccinator12

Random song length generator machine (aka "Enigma Machine")

Haha ^^

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
from a "foreign forum" apparently, in which it was said that the song lengths look about right according to someone who has a copy of the album...

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
Review copies of the album are already out. Music journalists are enjoying it as we speak.

Offline Petruccinator12

from a "foreign forum" apparently, in which it was said that the song lengths look about right according to someone who has a copy of the album...

Sounds a bit far-fetched if you ask me...all these guys who claim to have a copy...I just don't know..

Offline aprilethereal

Sounds a bit far-fetched if you ask me...all these guys who claim to have a copy...I just don't know..

Promotion.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
"All these guys" are reviewers, so yes they'll have a copy. Noxon is well established as the head of the Norwegian fanclub, and has had promo versions for release purposes for the last couple of albums at least, longer probably.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran

I know I said I was avoiding this thread, but now we have probable track times, I just want to address this point: promo copies have been released and will become more widespread in the near future. Noxon's credentials are irrefutable, he's been reviewing DT albums for as long as I can remember.

Offline krands85

So we're allowed to discuss these track lengths then? Just making sure  ;D
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm amazed a review hasn't been posted yet. Noxon is admittedly taking his time and not wanting to be the first, so you'd think there would be plenty of publications that would love to have the first review of the new Dream Theater album, but apparently not.

Offline Petruccinator12

Hopefully there'll be a review soon =)

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
Promo copies usually are released a couple of month before the street date, to allow music journalist to listen to the album properly to write a review, as well as provide enough time for print magazines like classic rock prog in where the entire magazine has to be written and made ready long before it actually hits the stand (due to production time etc). If a band wants their album to be reviewed in time for the release date, they have to do it like this. For most bands, the bulk amount of sales of new albums happen within the first few weeks - which is why DT for instance will blip into some charts one week and out of it again the week after. Certain established giant sellers with huge established fan bases can skip the review process, but overall this part of the PR-engine is not wise to skip, because while you can expect the hardcore fanatics to buy the album, what you really want is the exposure to the casual audiences (and the potential exposure to new people).

Now, a side effect of this is that because you don't treat the journalists differently depending on whether they are radio, tv, magazines or internet sites, everyone get the promo at the same time regardless of whether they need it or not.

Trust me when I say this; there are literally hundreds of people out there right now who has the album, who is under no obligation to keep the album a secret. Details will come out, and I don't think people would lie just for the sake of lying at this point, as there are enough people who can actually bust them on the lies...

As for me not wanting to be first; don't read to much into that. It'll be ready when it's ready, and even then I might hold on to it for a while - so don't expect one just yet.

Offline Petruccinator12

Promo copies usually are released a couple of month before the street date, to allow music journalist to listen to the album properly to write a review, as well as provide enough time for print magazines like classic rock prog in where the entire magazine has to be written and made ready long before it actually hits the stand (due to production time etc). If a band wants their album to be reviewed in time for the release date, they have to do it like this. For most bands, the bulk amount of sales of new albums happen within the first few weeks - which is why DT for instance will blip into some charts one week and out of it again the week after. Certain established giant sellers with huge established fan bases can skip the review process, but overall this part of the PR-engine is not wise to skip, because while you can expect the hardcore fanatics to buy the album, what you really want is the exposure to the casual audiences (and the potential exposure to new people).

Now, a side effect of this is that because you don't treat the journalists differently depending on whether they are radio, tv, magazines or internet sites, everyone get the promo at the same time regardless of whether they need it or not.

Trust me when I say this; there are literally hundreds of people out there right now who has the album, who is under no obligation to keep the album a secret. Details will come out, and I don't think people would lie just for the sake of lying at this point, as there are enough people who can actually bust them on the lies...

As for me not wanting to be first; don't read to much into that. It'll be ready when it's ready, and even then I might hold on to it for a while - so don't expect one just yet.

Hey, Noxon, while you are already here :D
Could/Are you allowed to tell us if the song legths are correct? =)

Offline Red_Queen

REVIEW NOXON REVIEW NOXON REVIEW NOXON  :metal

Offline emtee

Only thing I will care about in his review or any other is that they feel it's solid sonically.

As far as his review, seems he may be better served waiting several months as he said he has enjoyed DT's recent output
initially but the enjoyment has ebbed over time and that he goes back to earlier DT most of the time. If this album follows
that trend he will enjoy it initially. If he does not connect with in the early stages that could actually be a good thing long term.

Offline erciccio

I'm amazed a review hasn't been posted yet. Noxon is admittedly taking his time and not wanting to be the first, so you'd think there would be plenty of publications that would love to have the first review of the new Dream Theater album, but apparently not.

"Worst. Album. Ever."

You don't wanna be the first one to say this to a bunch of DT fan-boys... ;D
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di pił

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
Noxon, do not compromise the integrity of your review for the fanboys...
give it to us as objectively as possible and honestly  :tup

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Take your time, Noxon. Enjoy the album a few more times, then let us enjoy your words, as later as you feel necessary.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
Petruccinator12: i'm not allowed to break the rules of this forum.

Offline Petruccinator12

Petruccinator12: i'm not allowed to break the rules of this forum.

That's unfortunate :P

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
Take your time but don't take too long ;)

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
Has Bosk, nick or blob not got a copy? Sorry I don't know how comnected you guys are to DT, I've heard blob did some videos or something for them and Bosk seems to get some info early...

Offline Shadow2222

I know we are a forum of die-hards, but give Noxon some time. Tons of "review now!!!! Please!!!!" will not speed things up.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
noxon, thanks for being such a good sport. I can only apologise for the people pestering you for a review (even if it is mostly in jest), it's always like this around new album time with lots of buzz and loads of new members appearing.

Regarding the divulging of information on the album (such as confirming or otherwise the track lengths), I'm checking what the forum stance is on that so we'll get back to you shortly. :tup

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.