Author Topic: *OFFICIAL* A Dramatic Turn Of Events discussion thread -- **SPOILER ALERT!!!**  (Read 156468 times)

Offline Dream Team

Re: *OFFICIAL* A Dramatic Turn Of Events discussion thread -- **SPOILER ALERT!!!**
« Reply #1260 on: September 19, 2011, 09:51:39 AM »
Outcry is such a bizarre song. It's a really great, melodic, rocking song with a really cool tonal riff and catchy chorus. And in the middle of it is a really great, totally mad, insane, and at time atonal, instrumental section. These two things shouldn't go together, and the song should be totally disjointed, but for some reason it works.

I think it's because of the bacon.  :godisgood:

If only JP had completed the trifecta by having the line "streets paved with bacon" on top of the streets of gold and blood, ADTOE would be 100% perfect. As it stands I can only give it 99%.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
Re: *OFFICIAL* A Dramatic Turn Of Events discussion thread -- **SPOILER ALERT!!!**
« Reply #1261 on: September 19, 2011, 12:30:02 PM »
This is the first offering from Dream Theater since Scenes where I have song melodies STUCK IN MY HEAD.  That is a good thing.  I feel they focused a bit more on the song, instead of cramming as many notes, riffs, and fills in a song as they could.  Obviously that is a generalization, but I just feel the album is more accessible, and easier to enjoy.  I absolutely LOVE track 1 & 3.  That is all.  :)
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1262 on: September 19, 2011, 04:32:11 PM »
Just opened up the vinyl edition. I do love this album artwork
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #1263 on: September 20, 2011, 08:43:31 AM »
When will we know how sales went in USA? i went to billboard page and there is nothing yet.

Offline coffees for closers

« Reply #1264 on: September 20, 2011, 11:48:01 AM »
 :tdwn Still have not opened up shit, nore heard any song other the OTBoA because I ordered for RR and don't even have the cd yet. Even the positve news is starting to annoy me. Sticking with Amazon from now on. Cheaper and much more organized.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #1265 on: September 20, 2011, 12:19:33 PM »
Alright guys, I'm willing to eat some crow.

I gave it another spin (more out of stubbornness than anything) and this time I enjoyed most songs. The only ones that haven't fully clicked are LNF and Outcry, mostly because of their instrumental passages but the album as a whole sounded pretty good. It still doesn't touch top albums for me but it's pretty solid and I think I will end up liking BAI and BITS a lot.

Offline krands85

« Reply #1266 on: September 20, 2011, 03:02:31 PM »
Every time I get to the end of Outcry, I think "wtf, there's only 3 songs left and 2 of them are short. How did that happen?!" The album just seems to fly by so fast every time, I guess that's a good thing :D
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #1267 on: September 20, 2011, 03:06:41 PM »
Every time I get to the end of Outcry, I think "wtf, there's only 3 songs left and 2 of them are short. How did that happen?!" The album just seems to fly by so fast every time, I guess that's a good thing :D
Aha! Same here!! xD
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline NYCoolRunner

« Reply #1268 on: September 20, 2011, 03:28:31 PM »
My first post here... hello everyone.

I am pretty happy with this new album. I REALLY liked it at first, but its kinda simmered down since then. I do really enjoy it, but it will take some time to tell if it really is a classic or not. I haven't found myself DYING to listen to it over the last week or so, but that doesn't mean it's bad by any means. I did listen a lot in the first week, so maybe I need a break from it. I am seeing DT on Oct 12 in NYC, so I will definitely be pumped for this show. As far as the actual songs, Breaking All Illusions is freakin' amazing, and I think Bridges is probably a close 2nd. Outcry is slightly tough to get into, but I am enjoying the majority of the songs here.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #1269 on: September 20, 2011, 05:34:18 PM »
Just opened up the vinyl edition. I do love this album artwork

Damn, can you post some pics? If it's cool with the mods

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1270 on: September 20, 2011, 05:49:46 PM »
Of course it is.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1271 on: September 20, 2011, 09:17:52 PM »
Here they are OsMosis. Instead of being called sides, they are called Events (Event 1, Event 2, ect.) Also BMUBMD is a second shorter and LNF is almost a minute longer. This is the first DT album in awhile that actually has a great vinyl layout. Each one sounds like a distinct side. Tell me if they aren't loading

God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1272 on: September 20, 2011, 09:21:30 PM »
Overall, this album kicks serious amounts of ass. Light-years above the last 2 albums.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #1273 on: September 20, 2011, 09:32:16 PM »
I love this album.

This is probably my second favourite album of theirs behind only Six Degrees. Outcry is a great big clunker, and BMU, BMD has its weaker moments, but the album's more or less flawless otherwise.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1274 on: September 20, 2011, 09:41:52 PM »
That artwork is beautiful.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #1275 on: September 20, 2011, 09:47:56 PM »
So far this thing is putting up a damn good fight for top 3.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline gm5k

« Reply #1276 on: September 20, 2011, 09:51:45 PM »

Do me a solid....give Outcry a few more spins.  Took longer than most songs on this album for me to get what the artists were saying, but once it did....oh yes.

Outcry and BTS were my biggest growers.  Started out disliking both and grew to love them soon after...although BTS took me a lot longer.  Now they're probably my two most listened to tracks on the album.

I think BTS hit me when I started to listen more carefully to the lyrics.

Edit:  Angelback, not sure how I'm above you on this response on the page...but it happened  ;D

Offline AngelBack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1277 on: September 20, 2011, 09:52:41 PM »
I love this album.

This is probably my second favourite album of theirs behind only Six Degrees. Outcry is a great big clunker, and BMU, BMD has its weaker moments, but the album's more or less flawless otherwise.

Do me a solid....give Outcry a few more spins.  Took longer than most songs on this album for me to get what the artists were saying, but once it did....oh yes.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1278 on: September 20, 2011, 10:06:38 PM »
FORUM GOING CRAZY. GAH.

:neverusethis:
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #1279 on: September 20, 2011, 10:09:29 PM »
Here they are OsMosis. Instead of being called sides, they are called Events (Event 1, Event 2, ect.) Also BMUBMD is a second shorter and LNF is almost a minute longer. This is the first DT album in awhile that actually has a great vinyl layout. Each one sounds like a distinct side. Tell me if they aren't loading

smiled in my pants... That is so sexy. Thanks for posting!

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #1280 on: September 20, 2011, 10:28:03 PM »
Eh, I don't really see Outcry growing on me. It's so long and monotonously mid-tempo. It's like they were trying to write TMOLS Part 2: Return of the Sluggish Epic, complete with obligatory unfitting solo section. And that's without mentioning the lyrics.

Offline AngelBack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1281 on: September 20, 2011, 10:32:51 PM »
If you do not care for TMOLS then there is no more common ground upon which we may offer constructive dialogue. 

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1282 on: September 20, 2011, 10:47:36 PM »
LNF is almost a minute longer.

Could somebody explain what is different in this version? I would love to hear that but I don't have a turntable.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1283 on: September 20, 2011, 10:56:25 PM »
LNF is almost a minute longer.

Could somebody explain what is different in this version? I would love to hear that but I don't have a turntable.

I would gather that BMUBMD is cut off and faded out sooner than on the CD version, and that LNF starts with the fade-in wind sounds and the galloping horses, giving it about a minute more in length.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Vlasto

• The DAY is nigh...
  • DT.net Veteran
  • John,14-6
« Reply #1284 on: September 21, 2011, 04:34:41 AM »
after about 5 concentrated listenings this music is definitely growing on me...

Offline ironsam

« Reply #1285 on: September 21, 2011, 04:51:46 AM »
Eh, I don't really see Outcry growing on me. It's so long and monotonously mid-tempo. It's like they were trying to write TMOLS Part 2: Return of the Sluggish Epic, complete with obligatory unfitting solo section. And that's without mentioning the lyrics.
Outcry is awesome.  The tempo could be up a notch, but things change often enough to stop it from getting anywhere near boring, imo.  Do you like DT's instrumental sections at all?  Outcry uses all sorts of themes from previous songs, still manages to be unique (sort of like what BOT tried to do, but failed) and manages to tie in some great new themes and melodies.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #1286 on: September 21, 2011, 05:48:32 AM »
I love first and second verse of Outcry, they are great. Second verse reminds me of main Rambo theme  ;D Anyway, I wanted to post here today, because I don't like BAI... I think that it will grow for me, bur for now it's my least favourite from ADTOE. It has really awesome parts like that great solo but overall it's weird for me... something is missing in that one. Is anybody here who shares my opinion?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1287 on: September 21, 2011, 08:09:17 AM »
I love first and second verse of Outcry, they are great. Second verse reminds me of main Rambo theme  ;D Anyway, I wanted to post here today, because I don't like BAI... I think that it will grow for me, bur for now it's my least favourite from ADTOE. It has really awesome parts like that great solo but overall it's weird for me... something is missing in that one. Is anybody here who shares my opinion?

For me, it's the choruses.  I like most of the rest of the song, but the choruses don't really do much for me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1288 on: September 21, 2011, 08:56:51 AM »
There are some good bits in Outcry, a couple of catchy verses and an incredible performance by James. But overall something's missing. The instrumental section is unfortunately the weak point, it just doesn't move me at all.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #1289 on: September 21, 2011, 08:59:01 AM »
I don't remember any part of instrumental section from Outcry, only that one with weird jordan sound and JP's djent sounds. And bass at the end is quite memorable :)

Offline aXygnus

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • We seek to understand. We cry with hand in hand.
« Reply #1290 on: September 21, 2011, 09:59:17 AM »
The small drum & bass (can you call them that?) breaks stuck in my head first listen. There's also another part, but I don't know how to describe it.

Offline Sixtease

« Reply #1291 on: September 21, 2011, 10:11:04 AM »
This album is taking longer to grow on me than the two previous did, but Octavarium needed much more still.

After over a week of listening, I'm totally in love with Bridges in the Sky.
Lost not Forgotten only grew on me today, after I listened to it, and then went for an hour's walk. This shit needs some breathing space and listening to next songs immediately really doesn't do them justice.

On the Backs of Angels is aging extremely well so far, I love it a lot. I actually love all of the songs... Far from Heaven maybe least of them, though the lyrics give me chills.

I'm also one of the big fans of Build me Up, Break me Down. Atmosphere is perfect, as is buildup. The instrumental section is straight to the point, has classic Dream Theater elements (that unison!) that continue the chain of classic unisons from Blind Faith or The Ministry of Lost Souls, but still clearly distinct and innovative (the harmony swell makes me smile)

So although it's not as stuck in my head like In the Presence of Enemies was and though I'm not as craving all the day to hear a song as I did with The Count of Tuscany, this is an album that makes me a happy listener and happy fan.

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #1292 on: September 21, 2011, 10:28:33 AM »

Absolutely. Especially the longer songs, just fly by for me. During all four of the 10min. + tracks, each time I get to the instrumental/solo section, I am amazed I am that far through the song already.
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1293 on: September 21, 2011, 12:47:39 PM »
This is going to sound completely absurd, but does anyone else have About to Crash spring to mind while listening to Lost Not Forgotten?

5:22 of Lost Not Forgotten: “Once fearless and brave...”  Compare this vocal melody with 2:48 of About to Crash: “Once barely taking a break...”

They're not even all that close to each other, really, but every single time I get to that part of LNF, I think of that part of ATC.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1294 on: September 21, 2011, 01:23:43 PM »
Love the album. Delighted. Truly feel that my once-favourite band have returned. Thanks, boys! :biggrin:
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.