Author Topic: *OFFICIAL* A Dramatic Turn Of Events discussion thread -- **SPOILER ALERT!!!**  (Read 156468 times)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: *OFFICIAL* A Dramatic Turn Of Events discussion thread -- **SPOILER ALERT!!!**
« Reply #525 on: September 10, 2011, 08:20:39 AM »
That riff at the beginning of BITS  :metal :metal

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
Re: *OFFICIAL* A Dramatic Turn Of Events discussion thread -- **SPOILER ALERT!!!**
« Reply #526 on: September 10, 2011, 08:31:39 AM »
1.Lost Not Forgotten
2.Build Me Up Break Me Down
3.Breaking All Illusions
4.Outcry
5.Far From Heaven
6.On The Backs Of Angels
7.Bridges In The Sky
8.This is The Life
9.Beneath The Surface

But none of these songs are bad by any means. This is, in my opinion, of their best albums. Not even for the new album smell, mainly because of the well crafted songs. James sounds incredible, and IMO, this is their best album lyrically overall since maybe Falling Into Infinity. I was going to say since 2002 but I'm not too hot on SDOIT.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #527 on: September 10, 2011, 08:37:11 AM »
That riff at the beginning of BITS  :metal :metal
This is their second heaviest riff ever, probably just behind The Glass Prison.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline edu

« Reply #528 on: September 10, 2011, 08:40:06 AM »
1. Bridges in the Sky (..Crossing bridges in the sky, on a journey to renew my life... :metal)
2. Breaking All Illusions
3. Outcry
4. On the Back of Angels
5. Beneath The Surface
6. Build Me Up Break Me Down
7. This is The Life
8. Far From Heaven
9. Lost Not Forgotten

Awesome album, not a weak moment IMO
Crossing bridges in the sky
On a journey to renew my life

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #529 on: September 10, 2011, 08:43:28 AM »
Haven't listened to the album much to comment on besides OTBOA. I just listened to Far From Heaven though, and that song is great. Short, precise and good lyrics by LaBrie.

Offline SjundeInseglet

« Reply #530 on: September 10, 2011, 08:47:26 AM »
I've been listening to the digital download for the past day so and I've got say that I'm really, really digging it. I (superficially) enjoyed most DT releases since ToT but tired of them quite quicky (I was never too enamoured with SC to begin with but I can't even bring myself to listen to it these days... "Repentance" is the sole exception and I seldom play it) but this is hitting me differently. Something tells me this record has a whole lot more staying power than just about anything DT has put out since SDoIT. Hope I'm not wrong. One thing is clear to me, ADToE sounds a hell of a lot more like the band I fell in love with back in '96... and I'm not talking about the actual music (which is a surprisingly accomplished and interesting mix of both old and new DT elements)... it's just something about the sheer warmth that the record oozes. All in all, I'm really happy with this record so far.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #531 on: September 10, 2011, 09:00:31 AM »
Tear inducing moments:

01 - Build Me Up, Break Me Down
           "The price I pay, to live this waaaaaaaaaaaayyy"
02 - Bridges In the Sky
           "Crossing bridges in the sky, on a journey to renew my life"
03 - Outcry
           "Rise up be counted, stand strong and unite"
04 - Breaking All Illusions
           "New realities, singularities, breaking all illusions"
05 - Beneath the Surface
           Ehh.. yeah pretty much the whole thing.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #532 on: September 10, 2011, 09:01:07 AM »
The only criticism I have of this album is that - similar to what emindead was saying - there are times when a song starts to build and build and build, and it's almost painfully obvious where it should go, and then it doesn't go there, and it loses all its momentum. The best example I can think of is "Bridges in the Sky". After the final chorus, it should go back to the Final Fantasy melody, but instead it just kind of flattens out.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline TheGodOfN00bs

« Reply #533 on: September 10, 2011, 09:05:17 AM »
The only criticism I have of this album is that - similar to what emindead was saying - there are times when a song starts to build and build and build, and it's almost painfully obvious where it should go, and then it doesn't go there, and it loses all its momentum. The best example I can think of is "Bridges in the Sky". After the final chorus, it should go back to the Final Fantasy melody, but instead it just kind of flattens out.
You mean the part after the chorus that goes kind of like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvhuIY8HcgE&t=0m53s ?

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #534 on: September 10, 2011, 09:07:49 AM »
You mean the part after the chorus that goes kind of like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvhuIY8HcgE&t=0m53s ?

That's the one! :D

Offline MetalJens

« Reply #535 on: September 10, 2011, 09:08:33 AM »
It's almost scary how this album just keeps getting better with each listen  :eek

Without a doubt one of their best records and IMO it may have the potential to rank up there with I&W and SFAM

:hefdaddy DT

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #536 on: September 10, 2011, 09:10:35 AM »
I don't at all agree with Bridges in the Sky. I think it ends just the way it should.

And after watching that clip, I can totally hear a similarity.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #537 on: September 10, 2011, 09:12:08 AM »
It's almost scary how this album just keeps getting better with each listen  :eek

Without a doubt one of their best records and IMO it may have the potential to rank up there with I&W and SFAM

:hefdaddy DT

it does get better and better doesnt it??!!

The first couple of listens LNF flew by and I couldnt really remember much. The last listen and everything fell into place - stunning. I love it when that happens with a new DT song.

This album is AMAZING  :hefdaddy

Cant wait for Manchester in Feb.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #538 on: September 10, 2011, 09:12:50 AM »
I don't at all agree with Bridges in the Sky. I think it ends just the way it should.

I agree with the aussie.

If it went to the Final Fantasy theme after the final SHAMAN TAKE MY HAND!, I would feel the song's looping innecessarily. Bridges is perfect for me as it is.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #539 on: September 10, 2011, 09:18:24 AM »

I agree with the aussie.

If it went to the Final Fantasy theme after the final SHAMAN TAKE MY HAND!, I would feel the song's looping innecessarily. Bridges is perfect for me as it is.

Maybe I just like Final Fantasy too much.

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #540 on: September 10, 2011, 09:21:46 AM »
OMG! BAI's 1st verse is sooooo good (the parts with 7/8 6/8 5/8 7/8), especially the last part with JP's sliding lead guitar when the intensity goes up a notch (~2:45 ->). The atmosphere is radiant!  :omg:

EDIT: And why in God's name haven't they used the funky 5:21 part more? They should at least have stretched it over 4 bars instead of only 2...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 09:31:52 AM by kartmaze2 »

Offline Guitalguy

• Blackness awakens Visions come alive
« Reply #541 on: September 10, 2011, 09:29:09 AM »
Listened to it once, and all I can say is that I can't wait to hear it enough times to enjoy it's full potential. Too much to digest in one listen.

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #542 on: September 10, 2011, 09:33:13 AM »
I am listening to BITS. The intro is cringe-worthy but the rest is good.
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline Guitalguy

• Blackness awakens Visions come alive
« Reply #543 on: September 10, 2011, 09:36:42 AM »
Omg, just noticed the backing vocals on BMUBMD. Holy ****.

Offline duncan3dc

• PHP Ninja
« Reply #544 on: September 10, 2011, 09:36:55 AM »

Except for when it comes back at the end and completely kills the mood of the final chord ringing out

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #545 on: September 10, 2011, 09:37:34 AM »
I absolutely cannot get Beneath the Surface out of my head.  It's been something like 15 hours since I listened to it, and since then, I've listened to Train of Thought -an album full of songs that tend to get stuck in my head- in it's entirety.  And I've slept.  And BTS is still in my head. 

I'm not complaining, either.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline johncal

« Reply #546 on: September 10, 2011, 09:41:54 AM »
That's how I am with BMU,BMD. I guess if the idea was to write something radio friendly with a catchy tune, they succeeded big time. just keeps going through my head over and over and over and over and ov...............

And I do really like it a lot, it's just different than what we're used to.

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #547 on: September 10, 2011, 09:48:23 AM »
I was hoping for a trumphiant return, but after hearing this album a couple of times, Systematic Chaos doesn't seem that bad, and BC&SL even better than I already thought it was.

How any of you guys can even compare this in quality to SDOIT is beyond me, but I'm really happy everyone feels that way.

I just think that

1) It was mixed by Andy Wallace. He's a mixing legend. Then why the hell doesn't it sound better than BC&SL? The mix is one of the worst I've heard on a DT album. JMX is mixed ridiculously loud at times (so that fans think: yeah, there he is again! See it, now that MP is gone we can hear JMX!) but at other times you really can't hear him. And what the hell, in ANTR the bass is mixed perfectly. When the drums, bass and guitar enter in that track, it moves more earth than ANYTHING on this record. They should've make sure the drums sound awesome, even with a new member. Now it all sounds like a drum computer. Bleh.

2) Is it really the mix? Or is it because of the master? When you skip through this record, any random mouse click, it all sounds the same. Terrible sounding cymbals too. It sounds unnatural, and grating to the ears.

3) I'm a big DT fan. I'm supposed to like this album, what happened? I've liked every album they've put out, except this one. This is the first time for me that a new DT release doesn't do a thing for me, at all.

The only conclusion I can draw is that (at least for me) the spirit of the band is gone with MP. Believe me, I didn't have a problem with Mangini, I was 100% open minded and I really liked OTBOA.

But this.. this, I thought I'd never say it. It's kitsch. I don't buy it. And I'm sure as hell not buying it.
I could not disagree more. The mix is the best they've had since probably FII. Mangini's drums sound great. And JMX isn't really that loud.

And no offense, but you're coming across as ' "MP not on album, then I'm not buying it" *pout* '

I only agree with Mangini's mix he is not loud enough and i wish he played a deeper snare , other than that for me the album is one of there best. next album mangini will shine no worries.
 As for people thinking he sounds like he is playing simple filler check out some youtube vids of people covering the new stuff is pretty complicated.
JLB sounds so friggin good on this im really digging the ballads even.
I never have anything bad to say about JR
Nice to hear JMX not shadowing so much but there are spots were he is lost in the mix.
and loving JP's solos !!!

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #548 on: September 10, 2011, 09:49:54 AM »
BMUBMD is absolutely killer in my opinion. The only part that falls a bit flat in comparison is the "Build! Me! Up!" after the (exceptionally great) chorus, but it doesn't take away from the song being really great.

I'm still trying to warm up to Lost Not Forgotten, though...
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #549 on: September 10, 2011, 09:53:20 AM »
BMUBMD is absolutely killer in my opinion. The only part that falls a bit flat in comparison is the "Build! Me! Up!" after the (exceptionally great) chorus, but it doesn't take away from the song being really great.

Not to nitpick, but that part is the chorus. ???
I think you're talking about the pre-chorus.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #550 on: September 10, 2011, 09:56:06 AM »

Errr I think you're wrong.  "You build me up, you break me down, until I'm falling to pieces.." isn't that the chorus? Sounds like one.

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #551 on: September 10, 2011, 09:56:55 AM »
The album is now also available on the (legal) streaming services Spotify and Wimp.

Offline edu

« Reply #552 on: September 10, 2011, 09:58:01 AM »

02 - Bridges In the Sky
           "Crossing bridges in the sky, on a journey to renew my life"

My favourite!!!  :hefdaddy
Crossing bridges in the sky
On a journey to renew my life

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #553 on: September 10, 2011, 09:58:26 AM »

Errr I think you're wrong.  "You build me up, you break me down, until I'm falling to pieces.." isn't that the chorus? Sounds like one.

Exactly. The "Build! Me! Up!" thing seems more like something in-between the chorus and the next verse. Like an "after chorus" if you will.

I could be wrong though.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Millais

« Reply #554 on: September 10, 2011, 09:59:17 AM »
The album is now also available on the (legal) streaming services Spotify and Wimp.

not in the UK :( the album is there on Spotify, but unavailable to be listened to.

Offline farsight

« Reply #555 on: September 10, 2011, 10:00:12 AM »

Except for when it comes back at the end and completely kills the mood of the final chord ringing out
Is it really that bad?  :) I think it sets the tone and mystery quite amazingly. When it comes back, can't help but scream "Shaman, just take my hand, dammit!"

What I don't dig is the "Agnus Deiiiiiiii", it's a little bit too long, but the song is quite good, I'm really starting to think that BITS is up there with TGP among DT's heavy songs.

Listening carefully to whatever is playing in the background made me appreciate  JR's playing a lot more. And the rythm section of Myung and Mangini is so tight, that I'd like to see a drum and bass solo on the tour.

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #556 on: September 10, 2011, 10:01:45 AM »

not in the UK :( the album is there on Spotify, but unavailable to be listened to.

Uncool...  :-\
Well, it's at least listenable with a Norwegian IP-address.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #557 on: September 10, 2011, 10:02:46 AM »
I think the top 2 on this album are settled for me: Breaking All Illusions and Bridges In The Sky. BITS has an insanely beautiful chorus (both parts, but especially the line "may healing waters bury all my pain", accompanied by the chord progression), and the instrumental section is really cool, I especially love JR's hammond solo. And BAI... it's just awesome. As I said before, the last two and a half minutes are the absolute stand-out.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #558 on: September 10, 2011, 10:13:06 AM »
Hooray! The bass is audible again!

I've only heard the album once so far, but I did enjoy it. I need to listen again.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #559 on: September 10, 2011, 10:13:57 AM »
It's definately a headphone album- so much detail from JR.

I cried tears of joy listening to this on about the 8 th play through.
At this point it's a masterpiece. I can't believe how awesome this album feels. There are no words.
This album would not sound like this with MP in charge, that's for sure, and for that thank you Mike.
I love DT. Always have, but never has an album done this to me.
No tracks to skip. Awesomeness from start to finish. And even the synth solo in BTS fits- I hated it in the snippet.
And a few words for JLB. Ohh yes. You nailed it.