Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 554038 times)

Offline 425

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #6055 on: September 20, 2021, 09:45:01 PM »
Yeah, even though I really like most of I&D, I am not binging on it like I normally do with new Neal releases, and the simple reason is I am a bit burned out on Neal.  Don't get me wrong, him being prolific is a gift to fans, but it is like there is no let-up.  How can we miss him if he is never gone? :lol

On the other hand, one day he really will be gone—or, on a lighter note, perhaps retired from music. I figure if he really releases so much that I can't keep up with it (which he kind of does), it'll be nice to have more material to dig into that's fresh to me down the road.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6056 on: September 21, 2021, 12:06:23 AM »
I have to admit that when I heard about the Neal, Nick and Ross thing, my immediate reaction was, "Oh jeez, another project?"
I mean, I like all three of them and am friends with Ross, and even I had that same reaction. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #6057 on: September 21, 2021, 09:32:11 AM »
I can’t see Neal of all people ever retiring from music altogether.  :lol

I could see him retiring from touring eventually and calling it a day with NMB, TA, and FC, and just doing simple singer/songwriter stuff, like Life & Times, for the rest of his days.

Online HOF

« Reply #6058 on: September 21, 2021, 09:40:03 AM »
I have to admit that when I heard about the Neal, Nick and Ross thing, my immediate reaction was, "Oh jeez, another project?"
I mean, I like all three of them and am friends with Ross, and even I had that same reaction. :lol

Heh, makes me glad that I have generally avoided Neal’s releases outside of FC and TA. I’m looking forward to this project just because I love the thought of Neal and Nick together again, though I have my trepidation as well.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6059 on: September 21, 2021, 10:26:53 AM »
I just watched "Alive Again" from the live video "ALIVE Again" and man, breathtaking.   I can do without the instrument switch (in that song; I LOVE it generally, though it's depressing that literally ALL FIVE are better guitarists than I am!) but the ending is just amazing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6060 on: September 21, 2021, 12:26:40 PM »
Yeah, even though I really like most of I&D, I am not binging on it like I normally do with new Neal releases, and the simple reason is I am a bit burned out on Neal.  Don't get me wrong, him being prolific is a gift to fans, but it is like there is no let-up.  How can we miss him if he is never gone? :lol

On the other hand, one day he really will be gone—or, on a lighter note, perhaps retired from music. I figure if he really releases so much that I can't keep up with it (which he kind of does), it'll be nice to have more material to dig into that's fresh to me down the road.

Very, very true.  :tup :tup

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #6061 on: September 21, 2021, 02:40:09 PM »
I can't get enough Neal Morse, so the more the merrier for me! :tup

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6062 on: September 23, 2021, 07:45:14 AM »
I just watched "Alive Again" from the live video "ALIVE Again" and man, breathtaking.   I can do without the instrument switch (in that song; I LOVE it generally, though it's depressing that literally ALL FIVE are better guitarists than I am!) but the ending is just amazing.
Been a while since I've seen it, but I agree with you.  I love that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #6063 on: September 23, 2021, 08:55:37 AM »
So the tickets I bought were for a weekend show, and the rescheduled date in February is a Tuesday, and I probably won't be able to make it then. When I bought the tix it said no refunds, but I should be able to get one with this extenuating circumstance, who do I email about it? TM or Radiant?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6064 on: September 24, 2021, 06:32:58 AM »
Glancing at the Neal FB fan page (which can be brutal at times), it looks like the abrupt ending in Beyond the Years is still getting talked about a lot.  Many do not like it.   Probably not a good artistic decision when something like that is the thing getting discussed the most about your new album.

Offline DTA

« Reply #6065 on: September 24, 2021, 06:37:53 AM »
It's just such an odd choice for ending a long epic, and one that seems to have no deeper meaning than to confuse the listener and do something jarring. I haven't focused on any lyrics, but is there a lyrical reason that may justify it?

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6066 on: September 24, 2021, 07:00:53 AM »
I saw MP say on Instagram that it was intended to be similar to the abrupt ending of "Pull Me Under."

I think it's a cool ending.  Life ends abruptly sometimes.  It gives me chills every time I hear it.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6067 on: September 24, 2021, 07:20:20 AM »
Glancing at the Neal FB fan page (which can be brutal at times), it looks like the abrupt ending in Beyond the Years is still getting talked about a lot.  Many do not like it.   Probably not a good artistic decision when something like that is the thing getting discussed the most about your new album.

Sometimes fans are the worst.   :)

Offline emtee

« Reply #6068 on: September 24, 2021, 07:23:59 AM »
I saw MP say on Instagram that it was intended to be similar to the abrupt ending of "Pull Me Under."

I think it's a cool ending.  Life ends abruptly sometimes.  It gives me chills every time I hear it.

Agreed. And that middle section-drifting through the years-when that Hammond starts, Bill sings and then Eric goes into the solo...I could listen to that on a loop for the rest of my life and never get tired of it. I put it up there with Wish You Were Here in terms of moving my heart and soul.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #6069 on: September 24, 2021, 07:26:17 AM »

Y'know, I'm starting to see a lot of structural similarities between "Images and Words" and "Innocence & Danger"......

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6070 on: September 24, 2021, 08:51:22 AM »
Well, then it was a terrible idea, because it's already been done.

It's virtually the only blemish for me on the new album, but it's a HUGE one.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6071 on: September 24, 2021, 09:01:30 AM »
I like the ending of Beyond the years. They could have either faded it out or resolved it, but this is more original. I like to be surprised. It's also kind of a creepy theme musically, so it works to cut it off and make it a bit more scary. "Where did it go and will it come back to haunt me?"  ;D

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #6072 on: September 24, 2021, 10:54:03 AM »
Well, then it was a terrible idea, because it's already been done.

It's virtually the only blemish for me on the new album, but it's a HUGE one.

ha, ha. I agree so I just faded it out on Audacity. :rollin

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #6073 on: September 24, 2021, 10:55:23 AM »

Agreed. And that middle section-drifting through the years-when that Hammond starts, Bill sings and then Eric goes into the solo...I could listen to that on a loop for the rest of my life and never get tired of it. I put it up there with Wish You Were Here in terms of moving my heart and soul.

Same here - although for me it's the part after the multi-vocals in the "Islands in the Sun" section. In a genre that overuses the word "epic" this section gives me goosebumps and an epic feeling. Neil's "more of you less of me" vocals after it's just the cherry on top.

I was bit turned off with the sudden stop at the end of the song but 1 sec won't change how much I enjoy the other 31mins... which BTW how is this song half hour long? It goes by so fast

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #6074 on: September 24, 2021, 11:02:14 AM »
Quite frankly, that's not the biggest problem with this song. It didn't need to be more than 30 minutes. It's a fine example of the exaggerations of the prog.

But there are great moments.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #6075 on: September 24, 2021, 11:02:32 AM »
yea the people on Neal's FB page are going crazy like they never heard an abrupt ending, lol.

myself i still think it's an anti-climax on an already confused and disjointed epic but what can ya do?

and BTW i still love the album but that epic.......misfire. at least there is Not Afraid Pt. 2.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #6076 on: September 24, 2021, 01:44:51 PM »
I like the ending of Beyond the years. They could have either faded it out or resolved it, but this is more original. I like to be surprised. It's also kind of a creepy theme musically, so it works to cut it off and make it a bit more scary. "Where did it go and will it come back to haunt me?"  ;D

Agreed, it's definitely a bit creepy, especially with the abrupt ending the way it is. It's grown on me for that very reason.
The entire epic is still digesting in my brain though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6077 on: September 24, 2021, 03:41:16 PM »

Sometimes fans are the worst.   :)

Sometimes, we really are.  :lol :lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6078 on: September 25, 2021, 08:00:14 AM »
The abrupt ending in Beyond the Years doesn't bother me.  I kind of wanted that dumb keyboard riff at the end to just stop. The rest of the song was so epic leading up to that point,  and with that keyboard outro being cut off is kind of a "enough is enough" moment.   :lol

Btw, I'm really digging their version of Bridge Over Troubled Water. Very well done!   :tup :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6079 on: September 25, 2021, 08:54:38 AM »
Actually, even though I think doing it was a misstep, the abrupt ending doesn't bother me either.  As I have mentioned before, the instrumental section that kicks in around the 21-22 minute mark is the issue for me.  The first 21+ minutes of the song is pretty much perfect, but then we can get that random instrumental section, and even though the song transitions back to the main theme for the climax, it feels like the song never really gets back the momentum it had been building for over 20 minutes.  The climax is still really good (that's what she said), but it just doesn't feel as natural due to the several minute of randomness that preceded it.  Prog can sometimes eat itself, and that feels like one of those "throwing everything in there including the kitchen sink worked against the song" moments.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6080 on: September 25, 2021, 09:29:12 PM »
Looked back ar MP's comment on Instagram about the ending of "Beyond the Years." Basically, he said the intent was to let the orchestration loop hypnotically and then abruptly cut it to snap the listener back to reality. He compared it to the Beatles' Abbey Road and Pink Floyd's The Wall.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6081 on: September 26, 2021, 12:24:31 PM »
I finally got my copy of innocence and Danger. I've listened to some of it on youtube allready, but when I listened to the whole album on cd it made a much bigger impact on me.  I loved it the whole way through and those guys are really cranking out some good music.  They have a great way of constructing songs that elevate to new heights as the song progresses. I like how they add more and more harmonies in the later part of the song and exclamation points in the instrumentation and drums.
I've realized the importance of Eric Gillette in this band, it's the equivalent of how Tommy Shaw is to Styx. Great vocals and guitar playing, with compositional skills.  Another thing I like about this album is it really showcased Randy's bass playing skills, he's a monster on the bass!  Bill really shines on this album too with they keys and vocals and acoustic piano.  Mike's drumming carries this album with great enthusiasm, and Neal is putting out some of his best performances of his career.
All I have to say is,, WHAT AN ALBUM!  Love the epics too.   :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6082 on: September 26, 2021, 03:09:47 PM »
Looked back ar MP's comment on Instagram about the ending of "Beyond the Years." Basically, he said the intent was to let the orchestration loop hypnotically and then abruptly cut it to snap the listener back to reality. He compared it to the Beatles' Abbey Road and Pink Floyd's The Wall.
That's fine in theory, but for me it would have worked vastly better had there been some sort of sound to snap it back. As it is, it just cuts out and sounds accidental.

It doesn't ruin the song or anything, but I'm not a fan of it at all.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6083 on: September 27, 2021, 09:00:52 AM »
Excited to announce the theme of the MF21 Inner Circle concert… I’ve decided to revisit my first two solo albums, "Neal Morse" & "It’s Not Too Late," with a setlist drawn from those two albums. I’ll be joined by Bill Hubauer, Randy George, Philip Martin, and Wil Morse for some seldom heard songs which I know IC members will love! If you aren’t yet a member of the Inner Circle, you can join at www.nealmorse.com/#circle.

Details of how to access the show in person or online will follow soon.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 02:08:10 PM by MinistroRaven »

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #6084 on: September 27, 2021, 12:48:35 PM »
MinistroRaven is Neal? :neverusethis:

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6085 on: September 27, 2021, 02:05:55 PM »

:mehlin

MinistroRaven just Copy-Pastes all news, and it can be a bitisleading, especially if it's not in a quote block, or linked to a source.

But yes, MinistroRaven is Neal.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6086 on: September 27, 2021, 02:08:29 PM »

We've never seen both in the same room, so...
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6087 on: September 27, 2021, 02:08:46 PM »

:mehlin

MinistroRaven just Copy-Pastes all news, and it can be a bitisleading, especially if it's not in a quote block, or linked to a source.

But yes, MinistroRaven is Neal.

-Marc.

Neal, would love to be me.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6088 on: September 27, 2021, 02:09:55 PM »

We've never seen both in the same room, so...

haha, wrong!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6089 on: September 27, 2021, 02:31:41 PM »
Sup Neal