News:

BREAKING NEWS:  Dream Theater reunites with drummer Mike Portnoy (10/25/23)

Main Menu

Bolsters™ The Roulette ★THE CONCLUSION★

Started by Bolsters, July 28, 2015, 08:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

I don't have a good feel for Bolsters' taste though, it seems pretty all-over-the-place
whereas I pretty much got 425 right off the bat  :lol

jingle.boy

Quote from: Jamesman42 on Today at 12:38:03 PM
Quote from: TAC on September 19, 2024, 05:23:01 PMHow is this even possible? Are we playing or what, people??
So I just checked, and, uh, you are one of the two who haven't sent.
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid on Today at 12:46:33 PMTim's roulette police card is hereby revoked!

Nekov

jingle.boy

Quote from: TAC on September 19, 2024, 05:23:01 PMHow is this even possible? Are we playing or what, people??
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid on Today at 12:46:33 PMTim's roulette police card is hereby revoked!

Elite

Quote from: Lolzeez on November 18, 2013, 01:23:32 PMHey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Quote from: home on May 09, 2017, 04:05:10 PMSqu
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

jingle.boy

Quote from: Elite on July 29, 2015, 01:24:15 PM
Busted :lol

Yo Chad, you ready to lose the first round?

Sure... But it ain't gonna happen.  I'm kicking your ass, and in a manner that will surprise you.

Bolsters

Quote from: Evermind on July 29, 2015, 09:16:49 AM
Quote from: Scorpion on July 29, 2015, 08:54:02 AM
Also sent, to stay on topic. Can't believe that the band wasn't on the list, tbh. (I hope it doesn't get rejected.)
Are you sure we didn't send the same band? Because you just voiced my exact thoughts.
Scorpion: I know I listened to a song or two on Youtube several years ago, but I don't even remember which song(s). So you're good.
Evermind: I have sampled the band you sent aswell and they didn't click (listened in part to two of their albums), but again that was years ago and I haven't heard anything from the same album as your song. So you're good, too.
Bolsters™

Elite

Quote from: jingle.boy on July 29, 2015, 06:55:28 PM
Quote from: Elite on July 29, 2015, 01:24:15 PM
Busted :lol

Yo Chad, you ready to lose the first round?

Sure... But it ain't gonna happen.  I'm kicking your ass, and in a manner that will surprise you.

Sent, with my fingers crossed.
Quote from: Lolzeez on November 18, 2013, 01:23:32 PMHey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:

Bolsters

One person has been asked to resend and another has not sent at all so far (no shaming though, as I said I am not in any hurry for the first round), but I am about to commence listening to submissions where I already have both of the songs in a matchup. :metal
Bolsters™

jingle.boy

Boy, if that banned list has taught me anything, it's to not post in the 'what album are you listening to' thread in advance of a roulette I plan on participating in.   :lol

Will send shortly.  No guts, no glory.

Bolsters

Quote from: jingle.boy on July 30, 2015, 07:14:16 PM
Boy, if that banned list has taught me anything, it's to not post in the 'what album are you listening to' thread in advance of a roulette I plan on participating in.   :lol
Brent called it:

Quote from: bl5150 on July 19, 2015, 06:28:15 AM
Chad..........influencing ears and then wondering why he can't use the music in roulettes since 2007.   :lol
Bolsters™

jingle.boy

Quote from: Bolsters on July 30, 2015, 08:03:53 PM
Quote from: jingle.boy on July 30, 2015, 07:14:16 PM
Brent called it:

Quote from: bl5150 on July 19, 2015, 06:28:15 AM
Chad..........influencing ears and then wondering why he can't use the music in roulettes since 2007.   :lol

Word.

Bolsters

I've listened to each track a few times (some more than others, since I decided to start listening when I had both songs in a matchup). First impressions are quite good. There are three contenders for the receipt of a gold star so far, two of them in one matchup, so unfortunately one will be coming away with only a pink star to show for their efforts. One person failed to hit the mark in a pretty big way, so he's lucky this isn't a score-out-of-ten roulette or he may have never been able to recover. :lol

I'm not going to make any promises about when I will post results, because I know I'll get shit if/when I don't deliver. :lol I'll post 'em when I've got 'em.
Bolsters™

Evermind

Well now you're going to get shit for not setting any deadline for results. :lol
Quote from: Train of Naught on May 28, 2020, 10:57:25 PMThis first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Sacul

Quote from: Evermind on July 30, 2015, 09:36:33 PM
Well now you're going to get shit for not setting any deadline for results. :lol
This. Don't make me bring pics of sad cats.

Crow

Bolsters

Quote from: Evermind on July 30, 2015, 09:36:33 PM
Well if I'm going to get shit either way, I might as well not set any deadlines purely out of spite. :neverusethis:

But seriously, :soon:. I have been jotting down thoughts on the songs from the very first listen, I just want to listen to them several more times so I'm not basing everything on first impressions. Overall because I'm making notes from the first listen and organising them as I go, I'd say you guys can expect a pretty fast turnaround. We'll see.

Quote from: Sacul on July 30, 2015, 09:40:41 PM
This. Don't make me bring pics of sad cats.
Hey, this roulette is all about stars not cats.
Bolsters™

Elite

mikemangioy

Elite

jingle.boy

Crow

bl5150

Bolsters

Quote from: bl5150 on July 31, 2015, 10:05:36 AM

You rang?  :hat

Full results tomorrow, but have some tidbits to tide you over. Make of them what you will.

"One thing that I really like about this song is the way it builds. Starting off with just piano and softly spoken vocals the song slowly creeps up in pace and dynamics"

"Vocally the song starts off strong aswell, with a juxtaposition of high-pitched aaah's and subtle, slightly aggressive yelling in the background"

"I'm a fan of good harmonies, I'm definitely a fan of well-constructed counterpoint, I'm a fan of acapella sections - and this song has plenty of all of those things"

"The drumming in particular has a more modern indie rock vibe to it I think, and so the song is more of a blend of modern indie rock with some older rock influence"

"It has that bouncy bassline, the funky electric guitars, and some soft keys fleshing out the sound"

"I liked the slightly minimalist approach to the drums throughout the song, which I think helped to give it more of an orchestral feel than a rock or metal one"

"I find it especially disappointing that the song was released in 2007 because the production sounds like a subpar 90's electronic track at best"

"Overall this song is very Opeth-esque, but with more variety in the instrumentation and less emphasis on being heavy"

"I still don't really know what the fuck "fedoracore" is supposed to mean"
Bolsters™

Elite

If I had to choose which of these I personally think applies the most to the song I sent, I'd go with the 'minimalistic drums, giving it an orchestral feel'. And you said you liked that, which I interpret as a good thing.

Or I could be way off, of course.

jingle.boy

Quote from: Bolsters on August 01, 2015, 03:35:25 AM"It has that bouncy bassline, the funky electric guitars, and some soft keys fleshing out the sound"

I got a c-note that says this is mine. 

Bonus stars for correct predictions?

jingle.boy

Oh, and I noticed you turned off your last.fm scrobbling.  Tricky little fucker, aren't ya?

Bolsters

Bolsters™

Sacul

Quote"I find it especially disappointing that the song was released in 2007 because the production sounds like a subpar 90's electronic track at best"
Well this is mine, no doubt :lol To be fair, that's an intended thing - he wanted to recreate lots of tunes from his teen days. And he was/still is pretty obscure so I guess he just uses his computer and not expensive equipment. Tbh I think it sounds great.

Crow

Quote from: Bolsters on August 01, 2015, 03:35:25 AM"The drumming in particular has a more modern indie rock vibe to it I think, and so the song is more of a blend of modern indie rock with some older rock influence"
yarr this is mine

Bolsters

Quote from: Sacul on August 01, 2015, 08:21:47 AM
Quote"I find it especially disappointing that the song was released in 2007 because the production sounds like a subpar 90's electronic track at best"
Well this is mine, no doubt :lol To be fair, that's an intended thing - he wanted to recreate lots of tunes from his teen days. And he was/still is pretty obscure so I guess he just uses his computer and not expensive equipment. Tbh I think it sounds great.
All I can say then, is that he was successful. :lol I can be a bit of a production-whore in general, but I'm especially picky (and hard to please) when it comes to electronic music. I don't think expensive equipment is necessary, either - just the right amount of effort.

The current writeup for your song is a little scathing and I do feel bad doing it, but I'm not the kind of person to sugarcoat that sort of thing and I want all feedback I give in this roulette to be completely honest. For what it's worth I have every confidence that you will send me great things in this roulette - this song just isn't going to be one of them.
Bolsters™

jingle.boy

Elite

Sacul

Quote from: Bolsters on August 01, 2015, 08:43:53 AM
Quote from: Sacul on August 01, 2015, 08:21:47 AM
All I can say then, is that he was successful. :lol I can be a bit of a production-whore in general, but I'm especially picky (and hard to please) when it comes to electronic music. I don't think expensive equipment is necessary, either - just the right amount of effort.
Damnit :lol . Curious thing, he's pretty famous yet there are few pics of him, nor nobody know where he lives, other than in London. Guess that obscurity made him popular.

Quote from: jingle.boy on August 01, 2015, 08:48:01 AM
Guess we know what kinda star Shadow Ninja is getting.
:'(

Evermind

Quote"One thing that I really like about this song is the way it builds. Starting off with just piano and softly spoken vocals the song slowly creeps up in pace and dynamics"

This seems like my song indeed. Starting slowly with the majestic piano riff and then descends into madness with some harsh and borderline growl vocals and weird flute inclusions here and there.

Oh, and if I recall correctly, Elite should know this one indeed. He's the one who's sending it in a lot of roulettes.
Quote from: Train of Naught on May 28, 2020, 10:57:25 PMThis first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.