Poll

If DT were to use AI on the new album, how would you feel about it?

I would be upset. Please, no AI
37 (71.2%)
I wouldn't mind, as long as it's good
11 (21.2%)
I would mind, but only if it was incorporated somehow into the music itself (Video and promotional materials are okay)
4 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: Thoughts on AI use on the new album?  (Read 1485 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Thoughts on AI use on the new album?
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2024, 02:46:44 AM »
But my question is, back in the 80s, many of the early bands that we love so much were praised for taking a DIY approach to their album artwork.

But that's the point. It's not "Do it Yourself". Bon Jovi writing with his finger "Slippery when wet" was DIY. Writing a text prompt and obtaining artwork is not done by "yourself". It's done by a computer that searched all the internet for already existing artwork.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2024, 03:53:14 AM »
To be fair though, ”writing a text prompt and obtaining artwork” does not really do justice to the scenario jammindude presented.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2024, 04:11:49 AM »
I mean, Hugh Syme's art is AI before we had a name for it so on that front it's not gonna be any different.

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2024, 03:38:20 AM »
Quite simply, I will not buy any album that has AI generated artwork on it. If you don't think artists deserve to be paid for their craft, then you don't deserve to be paid either. Simple as that.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2024, 05:56:55 AM »
Quite simply, I will not buy any album that has AI generated artwork on it. If you don't think artists deserve to be paid for their craft, then you don't deserve to be paid either. Simple as that.

I've been thinking a lot about this, and I think this is pretty much where I am at as well.

I get the points about young, upstart artists looking to generate imagery cheaply, but given the ease of access to things like Photoshop and fiverr, I just don't think this is comparable to where we were in the '80s and '90s.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2024, 08:54:01 AM »
Looks like JR has heavily implied AI will be used on the upcoming DT album (on his equipment, maybe parts)

https://youtu.be/csqWz2SwEWg?t=643

EDIT: for clarity, I reworded this a bit.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 12:24:02 PM by TheHoveringSojourn808 »
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2024, 09:54:51 AM »
I don't actually know what Huge Sign looks like, but I sort of doubt he looks like a member of Dream Theater from behind :lol

Not all that far off....

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2024, 10:56:50 AM »
oh wow, he looks more like a human than i was expecting
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2024, 09:58:37 AM »

I just don't understand this.

Why does using AI in your artwork necessarily exclude artists? If they hired and paid an AI artist to do the work, what's the problem? I get the feeling that if DT threw some paint on concrete and took a cool photo with their own personal camera, no one would have an issue with it, even though some artist lost out on a gig. I feel like hating on AI art is like hating on photography when the camera was invented because it will steal jobs from sketch artists.

Again, I don't even think DT should use AI, I would just be okay with it if they did. But I simply do not understand this hate for it.

« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2024, 10:03:14 AM »
Looks like JR has confirmed AI will be used on the upcoming DT album

Was just curious if anyone saw this, and how it jives with opinions already stated
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2024, 10:38:17 AM »

I don't understand this either.

What does a rock band (i.e., an artist or collective of artists) using AI to create an album cover have to do with not "think[ing] [that] artists deserve to be paid for their craft"?  That's a complete non sequitur.  As has already been mentioned, there are numerous ways that musical artists can avoid paying for album cover art, and most of them have nothing to do with not thinking that visual artists deserve to be paid for their work.

Also, the days when album cover art influenced my buying decisions (one way or the other) are LONG gone.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2024, 10:43:32 AM »

You dropped us in at the 10:43 time stamp, and that guy literally took 1:06 to get out his question.  Holy fuck...  I made it to the 13:00 mark, and JR hadn't yet said anything about using AI on the new album.  When in the video did he actually say that?

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2024, 11:40:09 AM »
I’ve listened to most of that interview, and I don’t recall him saying anything to that effect.

Offline Rigel

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2024, 12:04:26 PM »
You dropped us in at the 10:43 time stamp, and that guy literally took 1:06 to get out his question.  Holy fuck...  I made it to the 13:00 mark, and JR hadn't yet said anything about using AI on the new album.  When in the video did he actually say that?
He didn't.

« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2024, 12:09:01 PM »
He talks about using it on his current keyboard rig, which he almost certainly will use during the process of recording. The timestamp is to provide maximum context. If you watch about 5 minutes starting from where I timestamped I think any reasonable person would walk away thinking he would employ these things on the parts he is about to record in June.
Welcome to the Forums!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2024, 12:09:48 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqEPrPa07XU

But I appreciate the link. Even though he didn't say what you said he did, the conversation was really interesting.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2024, 12:25:18 PM »
For clarity I have edited the post to reflect implication over confirmation. Sorry about that, was a little excited. Funny though that I get called out for it when in the other thread people are using the MP "delivered" quote to "confirm" the new DT album will be out by October. (Especially given that JR and JLB and ostensibly JM haven't finished recording yet; just another HoveringSojourn double standard :lol)

And glad the video was useful beyond the AI bit!
Welcome to the Forums!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2024, 12:29:19 PM »
For clarity I have edited the post to reflect implication over confirmation. Sorry about that, was a little excited. Funny though that I get called out for it when in the other thread people are using the MP "delivered" quote to "confirm" the new DT album will be out by October. (Especially given that JR and JLB and ostensibly JM haven't finished recording yet; just another HoveringSojourn double standard :lol)

And glad the video was useful beyond the AI bit!

And those people are being called out too.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2024, 01:54:21 PM »
There's no double standard just for you.

I have multiple double standards going at any given time.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2024, 01:57:45 PM »
lmao
Welcome to the Forums!