Author Topic: Steven Wilson solo career thread - v. The Harmony Codex in 2023!  (Read 61661 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Steven Wilson solo career thread - v. The Harmony Codex in 2023!
« Reply #735 on: September 19, 2023, 12:43:14 PM »
I always felt that SW wrote really well to fit his vocal style. He knows his strengths and weaknesses and writes to them. I've never had a problem with his singing.

Yeah, I have no issues with his vocals.  They are solid for my ears.  His personality is a huge turn off for me though.

Agreed on there personality :lol
For sure.  But he's never going to join me for a beer and conversation, so that's fine.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #736 on: September 19, 2023, 01:16:13 PM »
I always felt that SW wrote really well to fit his vocal style. He knows his strengths and weaknesses and writes to them. I've never had a problem with his singing.

Yeah, I have no issues with his vocals.  They are solid for my ears.  His personality is a huge turn off for me though.

For sure.  But he's never going to join me for a beer and conversation, so that's fine.

Yeah, but I can choose not to give money to someone who actively rips one of my favorite young bands.  His consistent hatred towards Greta Van Fleet is a very big reason why I have no desire to give him money anymore.  GVF absolutely blows SW or PT out of the water in terms of a live show and on their limited releases IMO.  Just the utter disrespect he shows.  Also, to me, it completely comes off as jealousy of their success.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #737 on: September 19, 2023, 01:23:43 PM »
Totally fair.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #738 on: September 19, 2023, 05:49:03 PM »

Yeah, but I can choose not to give money to someone who actively rips one of my favorite young bands.  His consistent hatred towards Greta Van Fleet is a very big reason why I have no desire to give him money anymore.  GVF absolutely blows SW or PT out of the water in terms of a live show and on their limited releases IMO.  Just the utter disrespect he shows.  Also, to me, it completely comes off as jealousy of their success.

So an artist can't talk about their own opinions about a band in the same vein some of us here talk about bands? :lol

Why is Steven held to such a high standard that when he states his opinions like we all do about bands and even DT he is all of a sudden seen as being jealous and showing disrespect.

He has his music tastes and he is not afraid to state his opinions about certain bands.

I have seen opinions about bands on here that are in the same vein as Stevens opinions about bands.

Edit: I just find your wording funny, like using "Utter disrespect".  :lol

This part of a long interview explains a lot of what I am getting at...

Steven Wilson’s Surprising Thoughts on Chris Martin and Coldplay
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 06:03:54 PM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #739 on: September 19, 2023, 05:53:25 PM »
You can disagree with anyone who freely gives their opinions.   I love Steven's music, but he freely gives his harsh opinions and should be open to ridicule.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #740 on: September 19, 2023, 06:15:57 PM »
I thought this was a rather good read: https://www.innerviews.org/inner/steven-wilson-5

Watching this now and it's interesting hearing his perspective about music.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Online HOF

« Reply #741 on: September 19, 2023, 06:44:48 PM »

So an artist can't talk about their own opinions about a band in the same vein some of us here talk about bands? :lol

Why is Steven held to such a high standard that when he states his opinions like we all do about bands and even DT he is all of a sudden seen as being jealous and showing disrespect.

He has his music tastes and he is not afraid to state his opinions about certain bands.

I have seen opinions about bands on here that are in the same vein as Stevens opinions about bands.

Weird, that interview doesn’t mention either Chris Martin or Coldplay.

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #742 on: September 19, 2023, 07:07:05 PM »
I've always taken what SW says with a grain of salt - he's super opinionated and not right all of the time, but I think he knows that. He'd rather have a discussion about music and take some swings as opposed to just playing nice and I guess that can seem pretty mean. I find it insightful and entertaining, for better or worse.

...I can see where he's coming from with GVF, hahah.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #743 on: September 20, 2023, 02:09:21 AM »

Weird, that interview doesn’t mention either Chris Martin or Coldplay.

Um... I think you might have somehow watched the wrong interview? :lol

As for the rest of the chat here, I love listening to Steven talk. I find him engaging and I love the fact he's opinionated. Perhaps it's because we grew up geographically close to each other on the edge of London that I find the way he presents himself to be rather 'normal'.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #744 on: September 20, 2023, 02:15:38 AM »
I have no problem with his personality or opinions. I enjoy watching/reading his interviews, and I enjoyed his book very much *shrug*
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online HOF

« Reply #745 on: September 20, 2023, 06:32:57 AM »
I thought this was a rather good read: https://www.innerviews.org/inner/steven-wilson-5

Watching this now and it's interesting hearing his perspective about music.

Oh, there were two different interviews links close together and I assumed they were the same thing!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #746 on: September 20, 2023, 09:33:43 AM »

Maybe you should read his comments.  It was disrespectful and he's double downed on them.  He's in the industry, he's held to a different standard than us "fans".  He's allowed to have his opinions, but publicly expressing them (and I think his opinions are distasteful here, it's not a typical "not my type of music" becuse I'm pretty sure it IS his type of music) makes it fair game for me to have a negative reaction towards it. I think these quotes would get someone reprimanded here if they said it about DT

That terrible band Greta Van Fleet, you know that band? I think they’re absolutely abysmal. I think they’re terrible; I think it’s a joke.

“They’re an example of a band – because they’re pretty young boys, they look like a boy band, they play this really piss-poor third-rate impersonation of Led Zeppelin.

“But they’re pretty and they’ve had all the help of the media and the commercial machine behind them, and they’ve been able to reach a massive audience overnight by playing third-rate music.

“I don’t believe for one minute that anyone will remember who they are in 10 years. Maybe they’ll prove me wrong and develop into a good band and make a good record, but the point is, at the moment, they’re not.

https://metalinjection.net/news/drama/steve-wilson-slams-greta-van-fleet-calls-them-a-boy-band-version-of-led-zeppelin

Also, they've been a band for 10 years now and are bigger than ever so he's also just flat out wrong. (tbf, their first music released wasn't until 2017 though, so maybe in 4 years we can come back and see, but I can guarantee they will be pretty popular still)

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #747 on: September 20, 2023, 10:42:18 AM »

Maybe you should read his comments.  It was disrespectful and he's double downed on them.  He's in the industry, he's held to a different standard than us "fans".  He's allowed to have his opinions, but publicly expressing them (and I think his opinions are distasteful here, it's not a typical "not my type of music" becuse I'm pretty sure it IS his type of music) makes it fair game for me to have a negative reaction towards it. I think these quotes would get someone reprimanded here if they said it about DT

That terrible band Greta Van Fleet, you know that band? I think they’re absolutely abysmal. I think they’re terrible; I think it’s a joke.

“They’re an example of a band – because they’re pretty young boys, they look like a boy band, they play this really piss-poor third-rate impersonation of Led Zeppelin.

“But they’re pretty and they’ve had all the help of the media and the commercial machine behind them, and they’ve been able to reach a massive audience overnight by playing third-rate music.

“I don’t believe for one minute that anyone will remember who they are in 10 years. Maybe they’ll prove me wrong and develop into a good band and make a good record, but the point is, at the moment, they’re not.

https://metalinjection.net/news/drama/steve-wilson-slams-greta-van-fleet-calls-them-a-boy-band-version-of-led-zeppelin

Also, they've been a band for 10 years now and are bigger than ever so he's also just flat out wrong. (tbf, their first music released wasn't until 2017 though, so maybe in 4 years we can come back and see, but I can guarantee they will be pretty popular still)

He really dwells into the music industry and commercial machine in his latest interview that was posted. It's a great interview and It's great getting to see his perspective about the music industry.

Best part was when he mentioned how he even got death threats from Opeth Fans who blamed him for changing their sound. That's the fascinating part about this entire discussion.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #748 on: September 20, 2023, 11:25:07 AM »
I think he's right about GVF. Their meteoric rise in popularity that happened early on seemed manufactured by promoters and rock media. They were a touring headline act before they even had an album out. Maybe SW could've stated it more eloquently, but I think the issue at hand is really about problems in the music industry itself. Rock music has been in a rut for a while and it seems like there's an appetite for unoriginal throwback rock bands. I'm not sure that really bodes well for the future of the music.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #749 on: September 20, 2023, 11:31:13 AM »
I can’t stand the singer of GVF. I respect that you like them, cram, but this is sandpaper to my ears

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #750 on: September 20, 2023, 11:32:50 AM »
i gotta be honest, GVF ain't really my jam. i've heard a few of their songs, like "sucker" and "burnin' up," and they just don't do it for me. "sucker" has that catchy pop beat, but the lyrics feel a bit shallow, you know? it's all about being whipped for someone, and it's just not my vibe and "burnin' up" is a bit better with its rock edge, but it still feels a bit generic to me.

i guess it's just a matter of personal taste, but i prefer music with more depth and meaning. GVFs' stuff just doesn't resonate with me like that. to each their own, though!
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #751 on: September 20, 2023, 11:47:31 AM »
I think he's right about GVF. Their meteoric rise in popularity that happened early on seemed manufactured by promoters and rock media. They were a touring headline act before they even had an album out. Maybe SW could've stated it more eloquently, but I think the issue at hand is really about problems in the music industry itself. Rock music has been in a rut for a while and it seems like there's an appetite for unoriginal throwback rock bands. I'm not sure that really bodes well for the future of the music.

There's no doubt they got some special media attention.  Doesn't take away from the music.  Honeslty though, their popularity seems to come from a very large female following. 

I can’t stand the singer of GVF. I respect that you like them, cram, but this is sandpaper to my ears

He's the best part of GVF, but sure, like JLB, he's not for everyone. The live show definitely has a lot of that though  :lol but I'd personally rate him as one of the best vocalists in rock music under the age of 30.

i gotta be honest, GVF ain't really my jam. i've heard a few of their songs, like "sucker" and "burnin' up," and they just don't do it for me. "sucker" has that catchy pop beat, but the lyrics feel a bit shallow, you know? it's all about being whipped for someone, and it's just not my vibe and "burnin' up" is a bit better with its rock edge, but it still feels a bit generic to me.

i guess it's just a matter of personal taste, but i prefer music with more depth and meaning. GVFs' stuff just doesn't resonate with me like that. to each their own, though!

Which songs are those?

« Reply #752 on: September 20, 2023, 11:51:38 AM »

Which songs are those?

oh shit, i just double checked my notes and realized i had confused Greta Van Fleet with the Jonas Brothers. now that i'm looking i don't think i've ever heard GVF before, do you have any recommendations?
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #753 on: September 20, 2023, 11:58:05 AM »

Which songs are those?

oh shit, i just double checked my notes and realized i had confused Greta Van Fleet with the Jonas Brothers. now that i'm looking i don't think i've ever heard GVF before, do you have any recommendations?

:lol I honestly couldn't tell if it was a mistake or a joke that I didn't get. 

Here's a song from their new album, not a single, but seems to be a popular one and the song they are ending their sets with now (I personally dig it as well)

The Archer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpejg82AmMY

Light My Love (my favorite ballad of theirs)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3bHTm_xs2Y

Highway Tune (I personally don't usually recommedn this, it's their biggest and first hit (as teenagers) that is basically why everyone says they are Led Zeppelin, but for education purposes...)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJg4OJxp-co

Offline Mosh

« Reply #754 on: September 20, 2023, 12:00:31 PM »

There's no doubt they got some special media attention.  Doesn't take away from the music.  Honeslty though, their popularity seems to come from a very large female following. 

For sure, if you like it you like it. I'm sure plenty of classic rock bands' success was artificially produced as well (honestly the original Zeppelin seems that way).
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #755 on: September 20, 2023, 12:12:30 PM »

For sure, if you like it you like it. I'm sure plenty of classic rock bands' success was artificially produced as well (honestly the original Zeppelin seems that way).

TBF, I do think SW's comments about media pumping them up and the question if legacy rock sounds being popular is a good thing for rock's future are reasonable viewpoints for discussions.  It's calling them a boy band, a joke, and absymal is where I get really bothered.  They've done nothing to SW to deserve that.  And I still very much think the music is also something SW would probaby actually enjoy and respect if he wasn't clouded by his feelings. (GVH are inspired by a lot of the same music as SW)

Offline Mosh

« Reply #756 on: September 20, 2023, 12:18:12 PM »
Agreed and I've had problems with SW doing that in the past - he targeted bands like Spock's Beard and Flower Kings unfairly back in the day IMO. It's not like SW doesn't make throwback sounding music himself. Raven That Refused To Sing is arguably his most popular solo album and that sounds like it came straight out of 1972.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #757 on: September 20, 2023, 01:34:23 PM »
The new album by STEVEN WILSON is available for review.
Anyone?

« Reply #758 on: September 20, 2023, 01:35:35 PM »
Anyone?

I would love to take a shot! let me know what's involved
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #759 on: September 20, 2023, 01:39:16 PM »
Anyone?

Ugg, just got someonr to do it. Sorry

« Reply #760 on: September 20, 2023, 01:41:10 PM »
Anyone?

Ugg, just got someonr to do it. Sorry

no worries, next time. i love writing reviews! my game and film ones i don't let anyone read but i like to write public music reviews. you can see some of my other posts for samples
Welcome to the Forums!

Online faizoff

« Reply #761 on: September 20, 2023, 02:03:36 PM »
I wonder when Burning Shed starts shipping international orders. I'd imagine it takes at least a week to get to the US from the UK. I've avoided listening to all the singles so far and just want to dive in the Blu-ray when I get it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #762 on: September 20, 2023, 02:31:33 PM »
I wonder when Burning Shed starts shipping international orders. I'd imagine it takes at least a week to get to the US from the UK. I've avoided listening to all the singles so far and just want to dive in the Blu-ray when I get it.

IIRC from past experience, Burning Shed will ship orders to the US anywhere between 1 and 5 days before the release date. I think it depends on when they get their stock in. Looking at my past pre-orders from the past year, they shipped Haken's Fauna the day before release date, but PT's Deadwing Deluxe Edition five days before (same release date as Fauna but sent out the Monday of that week). My pre-order of King Crimson At 50 also shipped the Monday before release date, but Transatlantic's Final Flight: Live At L'Olympia just three days before release date.

If we're lucky, they'll ship them out next Monday and get it about a week later, depending on how fast or slow Royal Mail is (which has been pretty bad for me lately in terms of waiting for mail from the UK the past couple of months).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online faizoff

« Reply #763 on: September 20, 2023, 02:48:45 PM »
I see, I looked at my orders and I've only ordered twice from them before. One was lost in the mail which was the Nil Recurring EP and another was the Home Invasion bluray.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #764 on: September 25, 2023, 03:48:19 AM »
BS shipped my deluxe edition today, should take about a week to AU from England.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #765 on: September 25, 2023, 04:34:30 AM »
BS shipped my deluxe edition today, should take about a week to AU from England.

Nice.... I hope they will send mine today too then.
No confirmation mail yet though.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #766 on: September 25, 2023, 05:06:54 AM »
Really looking forward to the event in London on Wednesday evening. A preview listen of the album followed by a 30 minute set. Should be a pretty unique experience, all told.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online faizoff

« Reply #767 on: September 25, 2023, 06:17:26 AM »
Really looking forward to the event in London on Wednesday evening. A preview listen of the album followed by a 30 minute set. Should be a pretty unique experience, all told.

So jealous you get to attend those, I really wished I was near one of those events.

« Reply #768 on: September 25, 2023, 07:47:45 AM »
it's SW week fam!
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #769 on: September 25, 2023, 07:54:10 AM »
it's SW week fam!

Very stoked for this album!  :metal (would like an electronic dance music emoji)  :D