Author Topic: Fix a Lyric  (Read 742 times)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Fix a Lyric
« on: July 13, 2012, 05:51:14 AM »
Have you ever had a song really REALLY loved except maybe one line or even a word in a line of lyrics? I was just singing aloud one of my favorite Yellowcard songs, Empty Apartments. This song would be perfect, except one part I would change: there's this line that comes up over and over again "You forget where the heart is." I think the line would sound so much better if it was "You forget where the heart lives," because it sounds nicer and fits with the motif of apartments and all.

Anyone else got any fixes they'd like to make?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline robwebster

Re: Fix a Lyric
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 06:34:00 AM »
The most egregiously clumsy lyric, by my book, is in Trains, by Porcupine Tree.

Always the summers are slipping away
Find me a way for making them stay

First line - fine. Lush, in fact. Second line - fits neither the syllable pattern ("way" becomes "wayay") nor any known form of English grammar ("a way for making?"). In no way, shape or form does that line fit anything.

That said, it's very easy to find faults and much harder to find a remedy. There's a general trend in internet critics, in that they're perfectly fair and perceptive in their criticisms, but the second they suggest something that'd be better they tend to start talking nonsense - and there's no reason to believe I'd be an exception. You could replace "way" with "method," "method for" makes a lot more sense than "way for" and it fits the syllable pattern better, but emotionally it's a much more sterile word, so it tramples over the original in that sense.

So, I fear you'd have to replace the line entirely. Which I wouldn't be against - it's a catastrophically clumsy line in a song full of perfect ones - but I think that'd be a job for Steven Wilson. Any line I write would stick out like a sore thumb - "Falling through summers the sun never stays" is what I'd write, but it's incredibly un-Wilsonly. You could maybe combine it with the original line, and produce something like this --

Always the summers are slipping away
Find me the reason the sun never stays

-- but eh. Little corny. And it's very passive, while the original line was active. Not an easy fix! If anyone tells you writing lyrics is easy, they're not doing it right.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 07:33:56 AM »
This might not fit with the original message DT was going for, but I always thought it'd be better for Beneath the Surface's last chorus to use the first-person plural pronoun like this:

1. Until one day I stopped caring...
2. Until one day you stopped caring...
3. Until one day we stopped caring...

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 12:55:31 PM »
By the grace of god above, everyone survived RAWRRRRRRRRRR

Offline Ħ

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 01:18:07 PM »
Nice Rob, I always thought that was a weird lyric.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 02:39:28 PM »
This might not fit with the original message DT was going for, but I always thought it'd be better for Beneath the Surface's last chorus to use the first-person plural pronoun like this:

1. Until one day I stopped caring...
2. Until one day you stopped caring...
3. Until one day we stopped caring...

I'm totally down with that. And it'd be like a nod towards the Another Brick in the Wall lyrics as well.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude: