Author Topic: Rush Song of the Day (now discussing the FINAL Rush song!!)  (Read 77767 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Rush Song of the Day (currently discussing Hemispheres)
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2011, 12:11:45 PM »
Yeah the two songs are definitely connected.  And I think the ending is one of the best parts of the song.  Great lyrics.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2011, 01:03:26 PM »
Honestly, one of my least favorite "classic" Rush songs.  I mean, its a very very very good song, but the other epics from their prog phase (not counting CoS) like Cygnus X-1, Xanadu, Natural Science, La Villa Strangiato, 2112, and The Camera Eye are leagues ahead, IMO.  Nothing wrong with it, and it has some great parts like the Prelude, its just not as amazing as the others.

I kind of agree.  Sort of. :lol

My only beef with the song is that the section from 4:35 to 9:05, while good, isn't nearly as good as the rest of the song, IMO (musically; the lyrics are great).  Songs like 2112, Xanadu, Natural Science, etc. are consistently awesome from start to finish. 

And now that I think about it, The Count of Tuscany is like DT's Hemispheres: both the opening section and second half of the song slay, but (approximately) the 4 to 9 minute mark section is merely good.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2011, 01:40:24 PM »
My least favourite of the Rush epics. Give me The Fountain Of Lamneth or The Necromancer over this. I just don't get it, and I've had 30 years of trying. It's ok, it's just not great. And the lyrics... they are twee and obvious and bears no relation to Cygnus X-1 Book I. The Olympus stuff is crap. And the ending is just tacked on and sounds like it a different song.
I expect to be in a minority in this opinion  ;D

I respect your opinion and your take on the song....except for the lyrics "bear no relation to Cygnus X-1 Book I"....   ???   Don't get that *at all*...the lyrics describe in detail that this is the world he found on the other side of the black hole.   He even talks about flying in the ship he used in Book I to fly up to Olympus.   Maybe you're seeing a lack of correlation that I'm not.

Oh I get that, it's just in book I it's sci-fi and travelling through a black hole and then we are in Fantasy/Greek mythology territory on Olympus where there's two cliched factions warring before Kofi Anan turns up to bring them together again.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2011, 02:34:55 PM »
Love the song, it's a gem.  I didn't get into this song until I really was immersed in late 70s Rush prog, so when I did get to this one, it resulted in my mind being blown.

Feels at times like its 4 or 5 songs stitched together, but I've got no problem with that.  The other 'epics' from Rush flow much better as a single song.  This feels like a bunch of separate songs.  I think it's more akin to 6DOIT (the song) in the sense that it could've easily been broken up into multiple tracks. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2011, 04:26:49 PM »
First time I saw Rush was on the Hemispheres tour.  They opened with 2112 (holy shit!), after which Geddy said "Good evening" and all that.  Then they played Cygnus X-1.  At the end, during all the spacey sounds and effects, Geddy says "We'd like to welcome you to Side One of our new album.  This is called Hemispheres" and of course they played it straight through.

It was mind-blowing, as Rush always is.  Nearly an hour into the concert and they've played three songs. :metal

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2011, 04:34:56 PM »
First time I saw Rush was on the Hemispheres tour.  They opened with 2112 (holy shit!), after which Geddy said "Good evening" and all that.  Then they played Cygnus X-1.  At the end, during all the spacey sounds and effects, Geddy says "We'd like to welcome you to Side One of our new album.  This is called Hemispheres" and of course they played it straight through.

It was mind-blowing, as Rush always is.  Nearly an hour into the concert and they've played three songs. :metal

Orbert, I have never been as jealous as I currently am right now.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2011, 04:48:36 PM »
Oh I'm with you there Z.  Orber I have a boot of them playing Hemispheres and they sounded killer on that tour.  I've got to say the song itself made me search for other bands with long songs.  I was enthralled with a long song format.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2011, 05:06:12 PM »
Yeah, it was high school, definitely a pivotal time.  I too sought out bands who played longer songs, and soon realized that it wasn't just that the songs were long, but it seemed that bands who didn't feel the need to conform to the "pop single" mentality had more going on musically, and ultimately that's what I was drawn to. 

Usually, that is.  I mean, "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" is a side-length epic, but it's not exactly prog; it's just a "regular" song with ridiculously long solos.  I give them props for doing it, but Side Two is standard stuff and presumably more typical Iron Butterfly.  I don't know; I never picked up another album from them.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2011, 05:54:11 PM »
Oh I'm with you there Z.  Orber I have a boot of them playing Hemispheres and they sounded killer on that tour.  I've got to say the song itself made me search for other bands with long songs.  I was enthralled with a long song format.

Yeah, it was high school, definitely a pivotal time.  I too sought out bands who played longer songs, and soon realized that it wasn't just that the songs were long, but it seemed that bands who didn't feel the need to conform to the "pop single" mentality had more going on musically, and ultimately that's what I was drawn to. 

Absolutely! I was familiar with Pink Floyd's longer songs (on Animals/WYWH), but I think Rush is the band that really first made me appreciate the "long song" format. It actually encouraged 16 year old me to try and write my own epic.  :lol

I should also note that I heard Hemispheres about a half year before Cygnus X-1... so the first time I listened to Cygnus and realized that bits of it are sampled in the middle of Hemispheres... well, it was a glorious moment indeed!  :biggrin:

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2011, 09:58:09 PM »
I work with a guy who isn't the biggest Rush fan and isn't a fan of the epics.  Whenever a Rush song would come on the boneyard on XM, he would just roll his eyes and ask "how long is this one?"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Rush Song of the Day (currently discussing Kid Gloves)
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2011, 09:28:44 AM »
The Rush Song of the Day for October 18th is Kid Gloves

It's all about that guitar solo.  A solo that is often considered one of Alex Lifeson's best, which is saying something considering how many great solos he has.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2011, 09:32:20 AM »
Indeed.  And the rest of the song is pretty good as well.  Don't know why there's so much dislike/lack of love for it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2011, 09:34:04 AM »
Well, I think you said it: it is pretty good.  Overall, it's a fun song to rock out to, but nothing from it is really notable except the guitar solo.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2011, 09:44:04 AM »
Def not the worst track on P/G (Red Lenses is worse imo).  I really like the song... it is a fun song to rock out to and the riff is pretty cool.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2011, 09:57:33 AM »
Indifferent to it, really. I like it in the context of the album. but I never listen to the song when I'm not playing through the whole album.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2011, 10:07:05 AM »
This is one of my favorite Rush songs. As you say, that solo is amazing. The odd time signature the song is written on is hard to get used to, but once it kicks in it is just great.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2011, 11:01:50 AM »
For me, Kid Gloves is just an alright track. I love the intro, but the chorus doesn't do much for me. I always thought that The Body Electric and Kid Gloves made the album drag a little, even though I do love Grace Under Pressure.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 11:14:51 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2011, 12:31:05 PM »
This is one of my favorite Rush songs. As you say, that solo is amazing. The odd time signature the song is written on is hard to get used to, but once it kicks in it is just great.

I was a huge fan of P/G when it came out, and still am, from the cover to the music. Hugh Syme's finest hour.
The riff and odd meter were what I liked, but that solo got me big time. Just sounds cool somehow.

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2011, 01:21:37 PM »
Just listened to P/G yesterday, working my way through the Signals era stuff. Kid Gloves has the best Alex solo of that era by a mile. The tone is just perfect and it raises the song above it's mediocre chorus melody. It's actually in my Rush playlist for this reason, but out of the context of the album, the song is a bit unmemorable. As with most of the P/G tunes, I get what they were trying to do, but don't think they quite pulled it off. Hold Your Fire was a relief for me because they were backing away from these kinds of songs that overall just didn't work IMO. But that solo is  :metal
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2011, 01:50:18 PM »
I gave up posting on this thread as I can't give technical/high level comments on songs.... But let me show some love to Kid Gloves  :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2011, 01:53:21 PM »
I gave up posting on this thread as I can't give technical/high level comments on songs.

You don't have to give technical or high level comments on songs.  All opinions are welcome!  If you want to talk about a vocal, a lyric, a drum fill, anything, do it!  That is the whole idea. :)

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2011, 01:55:28 PM »
I gave up posting on this thread as I can't give technical/high level comments on songs.

You don't have to give technical or high level comments on songs.  All opinions are welcome!  If you want to talk about a vocal, a lyric, a drum fill, anything, do it!  That is the whole idea. :)

well that's encouraging... I'll stick to the awesome thread!  :)

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #92 on: October 18, 2011, 01:58:59 PM »
(Red Lenses is worse imo).
Say it isn't so!

Back on topic: Kid Gloves - Good tune. Simple and fun to listen to every now and then.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2011, 03:07:21 PM »
A fun little ditty.  A good song with a great quirky solo.  I feel the same way about Chain Lightning.  It was fun to see them play that live on the GUP tour.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #94 on: October 18, 2011, 03:28:08 PM »
Kid Gloves is one of my favorite 3 or so tunes from GUP, possibly my favorite, as well as one of my 10 or so favorite Rush tunes of the 80s. 

And the 80s are my favorite Rush era.

I just plain love how happy and bouncy it sounds!   :D

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2011, 03:42:21 PM »
I don't like 80's Rush at all... It doesn't sound like Rush should sound, IMO.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2011, 04:34:38 PM »
Very good, rockin' song. It has a great, fun energy to it. GUP is such a strong album.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2011, 06:13:19 PM »
But Kid Gloves is a very good song. And I liked Power Windows. But other than that... Meh.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: October 18, 2011, 07:51:45 PM »
For me, prime Rush is from the debut to GUP- which I think is very underated.  From Power Windows on, I found there to be alot of filler and I tend to skip songs.  Kid Gloves is just a great straight up rock song.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #99 on: October 18, 2011, 08:39:56 PM »
I'd say Rush through Presto are their prime, with my absolute favorite subsection being PeW through P/G. 

I say the first 6 albums range from good, if unoriginal (self-titled) to spectacular (AFTK, 2112 side 1, Hemi side 2, and COS).

PoW is good, but not as great as the 4 albums before it, HYF is probably their weakest of the first 13 aside from the self-titled (but still good), and Presto is around the middle.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #100 on: October 18, 2011, 09:06:19 PM »
I don't like 80's Rush at all... It doesn't sound like Rush should sound, IMO.

??? How should Rush sound?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: October 18, 2011, 09:10:27 PM »
Decent, simple song, nothing groundbreaking, but acceptable.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2011, 11:39:05 PM »
Decent, simple song, nothing groundbreaking, but acceptable.

For a minute there I thought this was a response to Orbert's question until I realized you weren't the person HE was responding to.  I nearly lost my shit.  :lol :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Rush Song of the Day (currently discussing Mystic Rhythms)
« Reply #103 on: October 19, 2011, 12:09:22 AM »
The Rush Song of the Day for October 19th is Mystic Rhythms

One of the great things about Rush during their synth era was that they did a bunch of songs that really sound like nothing else they had ever done, or have done since.  Mystic Rhythms is one of those songs.  The lead drums in the beginning are about as bad ass as bad ass gets, and then I love the way the other instruments all come in, one by one, as the intro gets fuller and fuller.  And then that instrumental section, with the exotic sounding keys...Just all kinds of awesomeness. :coolio

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Rush Song of the Day (currently discussing Mystic Rhythms)
« Reply #104 on: October 19, 2011, 03:52:58 AM »
I bow down to Mystic Rhythms. It is hauntingly beautiful and incredibly emotional. This is one of my top 3 Rush songs and makes Power Windows into one of my favorite albums.

"The more we think we know about, the greater the unknown" Such insightful and powerful lyrics.