Author Topic: Rush Song of the Day (now discussing the FINAL Rush song!!)  (Read 77773 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Rush Song of the Day (currently discussing Ghost of a Chance)
« Reply #140 on: October 21, 2011, 02:46:02 PM »
Love, love the solo.  Funny note about this song.  The solo was the demo solo recorded at Alex's studio but every time he tried to duplicate the solo he couldn't so some how they synced the demo solo on the album. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

« Reply #141 on: October 21, 2011, 03:05:38 PM »
One of the few redeeming moments from what is, by far their worst album. 

Of the songs I actually enjoy from this album:

1. Bravado
2. Dreamline
3. Where's My Thing?
4. Ghost of a Chance
5. Roll the Bones

I just can't tolerate anything else on the album.    Ok...sometimes maybe The Big Wheel.    But half the album is just....bad. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #142 on: October 21, 2011, 03:40:46 PM »
By far one of the best tunes by Rush that has a very distinct guitar tone and hook. Good lyrics.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: October 21, 2011, 08:01:15 PM »
great song

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #144 on: October 22, 2011, 07:13:49 AM »
Amazing song...

"I don't believe in destiny, or the guiding hand of fate. I don't believe in forever, or love as a mystical state. I don't believe in the stars or the planets, or angels watching from above. But I believe there's a ghost of a chance that we can find someone to love, and make it last"

:hefdaddy

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Rush Song of the Day (currently discussing Peaceable Kingdom)
« Reply #145 on: October 22, 2011, 09:26:13 AM »
The Rush Song of the Day for October 22nd is Peaceable Kingdom

Kind of an odd song for me.  I like certain aspects of it, but it never really comes together to make the song that worthwhile.  And I can't say it is one of those songs I enjoy when I listen to Vapor Trails as a whole, because I never listen to Vapor Trails from start to finish, simply because it is so loud and noisy, it is pretty much impossible to do so without getting a headache.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: October 22, 2011, 12:11:57 PM »
Yes the album is too loud.  But the passion from the guys if throughout the album.  Geddy said that listening to T4E he felt is singing was flat and didn't have the emotion in the vocals that it should have.   

Peaceable Kingdom is a good song.  Great...no but I love the passion of his voice and his bass playing in the chorus is unreal.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: October 22, 2011, 01:01:18 PM »
Peaceable Kingdom is a fine song.
I love Ghost of a Chance, but I'd put Bravado and Dreamline above it in my RtB rankings
Available Light is a great song as well.  I'm surprised Geddy could hit those notes back then. 

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #148 on: October 22, 2011, 01:51:10 PM »
Peaceable Kingdom's simple riff always makes me think of Half the World for some reason. Not one of the better songs on Vapor Trails, but not one of the worst either. Just kind of there.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #149 on: October 22, 2011, 02:24:26 PM »
Interesting.  I honestly don't like much of Vapor Trails.   It starts better than it finishes.   Never got into some of the songs that other people like (Earthshine is a perfect example).   But I really like the first half of the album, and Peaceable Kingdom is one of the better ones. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #150 on: October 22, 2011, 02:35:58 PM »
I like Peaceable Kingdom a lot, but at the end of the day, its a pretty good song among many other pretty good songs on the album. Vapor Trails brings a lot of competent songs to the table, but none of them stand out as masterpieces to me.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 05:31:03 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #151 on: October 22, 2011, 05:13:22 PM »
I listened to Vapor Trails a bit when it first came out, but I'd downloaded it (shh!) and assumed it was a crappy copy because of the sound quality.  Found another copy, downloaded it, and it sounded just as bad.  Comments on the net started showing up, people complaining about the sound quality, presumably people who'd bought the CD.  I forced myself to listen to it, to try and hear the songs even though it sounded like everything was playing through blown speakers or something, because it'd been years and it was new Rush!  I had to stop. I couldn't take it.  To this day, I don't know the names of any of the songs, and can't listen to that album.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #152 on: October 22, 2011, 05:17:34 PM »
That must have blown, big time.

I, a major johnny-come-lately, am glad not to have experienced a 6 year wait for VT.  I do enjoy it, though, and would say that it, m along with CP, is probably their best album since Presto or Power Windows.

However, I cannot listen to it much, due to production and such, and generally only listen to the songs they played live. 

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: October 22, 2011, 05:24:08 PM »
Peaceable Kingdom is one of the songs in the album that make me like the way it sounds. That harsh not overproduced sound gives this song a boost and makes it really powerful.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: October 22, 2011, 05:33:48 PM »
rarely listen to VT; however, Peaceable Kingdom is decent but not Rush's best work.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #155 on: October 23, 2011, 04:58:23 AM »
Ooh, I love this song. It's infectious, the structure is quite original and I enjoy the weirdness of it overall. It just rocks, great riffs all around.  :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Rush Song of the Day (currently discussing Good News First)
« Reply #156 on: October 23, 2011, 10:43:45 AM »
The Rush Song of the Day for October 23rd is Good News First

This is another one of those songs that sounds like a bit of a departure for the band, especially in the verses, but still very much sounds like Rush.  The bridge in the middle is one of the best moments of the entire S&A record, and you gotta love the return of the mellotron.  Overall, very good tune!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: October 23, 2011, 11:07:11 AM »
There's not a bad song on Snakes and Arrows, but this one is near the bottom of the pack. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #158 on: October 23, 2011, 12:57:56 PM »
There's not a bad song on Snakes and Arrows, but this one is near the bottom of the pack.

I love Snakes and Arrows, but I totally agree with this statement. This is one of the only songs I feel tempted to skip when listening to the album. Though, the part where its goes:

"some would say they never fear a thing, but I do" is really decent and makes me listen all the way through.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #159 on: October 23, 2011, 02:14:33 PM »
Hmm. Modern Rush. Let me say I love the music but the last few albums it's the vocal melodies that I don't connect with. They all sound to me as though geddy makes them up on his first read through of the lyrics. The glorius melodies of the 80s are gone. His voice, especially on this, seems to be struggling too. A fair bit of warbling on the verse. The chorus is ok.
The keyboards are a welcome return.
So I'm not a fan of post counterparts Rush.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #160 on: October 23, 2011, 04:30:06 PM »
I like this one a lot. Cool intro. The bridge and subsequent instrumental are album highlights, and totally bring to mind their classic stuff. Yeah, Geddy warbles a lot, but that's alright, because it's obviously on purpose to do something different.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: October 23, 2011, 06:59:07 PM »
One of the lower end Songs on a very good album.  I never ship any of it but it's not anything that knocked me out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Rush Song of the Day (currently discussing Test for Echo)
« Reply #162 on: October 24, 2011, 03:59:51 PM »
The Rush Song of the Day for October 24th is Test for Echo

Kind of an odd song for me.  I like it, but it just always seemed like there was something missing from it.  Ya know, that little extra something that makes it really memorable and great.  Also, the main riff is basically a rework of the main riff in I Am the Sun from Lifeson's Victor CD from earlier that year.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: October 24, 2011, 04:03:05 PM »

Kind of an odd song for me.  I like it, but it just always seemed like there was something missing from it.  Ya know, that little extra something that makes it really memorable and great.  Also, the main riff is basically a rework of the main riff in I Am the Sun from Lifeson's Victor CD from earlier that year.

I'm with you on this Kev.  It's a good song but I think there is no real hook to the song and that's what's missing.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: October 24, 2011, 04:36:31 PM »
I love Test for Echo, the disc, and especially the title track.  I think it's one of their best songs of the 90's.  Starts off very cool and has a great groove to it.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: October 24, 2011, 04:47:53 PM »
The whole album is GREAT, IMO. All the songs have a sweet groove. The title track is amazing. Best 90's album, I think.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #166 on: October 24, 2011, 05:28:48 PM »
Great album, and one of my favorites from it. Very catchy tune, and neat - albeit unspectacular - lyrics. Love the guitar riff then transition to thumping drums.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #167 on: October 24, 2011, 05:36:13 PM »
The first Rush song I ever heard, way back in 96. I really love this song, its got such a deep and heavy feel to it, and I absolutely love the part at 0:50 seconds where everything slows down and I get like a Tool vibe going on. And I love that part at 3:17 too. Test for Echo is a very dynamic and diverse song overall. Sadly, I wish the rest of album was as good. The album had a lot of potential, especially being the follow up the counterparts, but Test For Echo and Presto are only two Rush albums I can't listen to from beginning to end.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #168 on: October 24, 2011, 07:53:50 PM »
In my top 5 Rush albums.  AMAZING CD.   Cannot figure out why this gets so much hate sometimes.   I feel that Counterparts was an unsuccessful attempt at Test For Echo....and I know I'm in the minority on that opinion.

As far as the track goes, it is one of the best openers in the post-Signals catalog.  I'd put it in a second place tie with Animate.  (Far Cry, IMO, would be first)

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #169 on: October 25, 2011, 09:06:29 AM »

I'm with you on this Kev.  It's a good song but I think there is no real hook to the song and that's what's missing.

That's how I feel about Rush from this album onwards. Not great.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Rush Song of the Day (currently discussing Freewill)
« Reply #170 on: October 25, 2011, 11:42:33 AM »
The Rush Song of the Day for October 25th is Freewill

Just once, I want the band to perform this song as their final encore of a show.  Just once.  It is tailor-made to be a closer.  TV, if you are reading this thread, the next time you talk to Geddy Lee, start the persuading. :biggrin:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #171 on: October 25, 2011, 12:29:38 PM »
This was the first "later Rush" (relatively speaking) song that I thought was really catchy.  The line "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" I thought was clever and profound.  I had no idea what the song was about.

It was only a few years ago that I learned that the song was about religion.  Suddenly the words all made sense.  I learned that Neil had gone through a phase where he was learning what he could about different religions and philosophies, and presumably this song was the result.

As with all Rush songs, even the ones you hear on the radio, there's more going on musically than you realize.  You realize it if you try to learn the song, or just sing along or even air-guitar it.  Wacky time signatures, atonal elements in the solo, all the Rush trademarks are here, and yet somehow it was a radio hit as well.  Go figure.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #172 on: October 25, 2011, 01:00:10 PM »
Classic awesome Rush. Melodic and clever- so much so you don't realise what you're hearing.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: October 25, 2011, 01:01:53 PM »
A great and catchy song. Good choice for song of the day.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #174 on: October 25, 2011, 01:02:34 PM »
The chorus to Freewill was my senior quote in the yearbook.  Nuff said.