Author Topic: DTF's Top 50 Bands/Artists Countdown Thread! (the final list)  (Read 50937 times)

Offline coz

Re: DTF's Top 50 Bands/Artists Countdown Thread! (#35 up!)
« Reply #735 on: October 31, 2023, 12:51:56 PM »
Catching up after a long weekend away.  Where am I?
2/17

15 Not in my top 100.

17. Avenged Sevenfold
15. Between the Buried and Me
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #736 on: October 31, 2023, 12:58:36 PM »
Landing at 35 out of over 400 bands puts Radiohead in the top 9% of bands nominated for this countdown. I'd say that's a pretty good deal. I wonder how many of us who submitted lists have their number one pick in the Top 40/top 10%?

-Marc.

I'm pretty sure that I'm the only one who even considered the one in my top spot.

They will be way down on the list.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #737 on: October 31, 2023, 02:07:37 PM »
Stadler, you buy albums by bands you actively dislike? What form of self-flagellation is this?

So I've been laughing to myself all afternoon about a joke that I was hoping this comment would tee up. It hasn't materialised but I might just post it later anyway, for laughs.

In other Top 50 Artists news, I've checked out a few Zappa albums since he made the list, based on hoveringsojourns mammoth list. Well the orchestral albums intrigued me (as I didn't even knew he did any). I've just finished listening to The Yellow Shark and it's right up my alley. Not quite as good as Hot Rats, although obviously very different, but something I'll definitely revisit! Cheers dude.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #738 on: October 31, 2023, 04:37:01 PM »
About Anathema: Woah I'm quite surprised they ended up outside the top 10, with all the love they seem to get over here, or maybe that's my own infatuation with them :lol. Yeah they've been my favorite band for a while now, pretty much everything from Alternative 4 through Distant Satellites is amazing for me. It broke my heart that they disbanded in such a confusing way, but at least I got to see them live a few years ago. Amazing show.

BTBAM are ok.

Radiohead are pretty cool, not too high on my list, but still a cool band,

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #739 on: October 31, 2023, 05:03:11 PM »
Stadler, you buy albums by bands you actively dislike? What form of self-flagellation is this?

So I've been laughing to myself all afternoon about a joke that I was hoping this comment would tee up. It hasn't materialised but I might just post it later anyway, for laughs.

In other Top 50 Artists news, I've checked out a few Zappa albums since he made the list, based on hoveringsojourns mammoth list. Well the orchestral albums intrigued me (as I didn't even knew he did any). I've just finished listening to The Yellow Shark and it's right up my alley. Not quite as good as Hot Rats, although obviously very different, but something I'll definitely revisit! Cheers dude.

oh wow, that's incredible!! FZ was actually primarily a composer, and all of his work was scribed onto formal sheet music before it was ever practiced by his various bands. during a significant portion of the mid 70s, Steve Vai was actually his intern/scribe (This is before he formally joined and had a stint with him as a guitarist in the early 1980s). But yeah, his orchestral work is incredible, and i'm so thrilled you loved The Yellow Shark, that record was made with the Ensemble Modern in Europe and it was the final thing that FZ released in his lifetime. He was actually the conductor for some of the shows on the tour those recordings come from, but was not the primary/main one because he was already falling really ill with his cancer by then. But he said before he died that that project was one of his greatest joys and most proud achievements. Really, really special record. Stoked that you loved it, thanks for checking it out!
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #740 on: October 31, 2023, 06:00:54 PM »
About Anathema: Woah I'm quite surprised they ended up outside the top 10, with all the love they seem to get over here, or maybe that's my own infatuation with them :lol.

I think with how these lists work, the top 10 will probably be bands who are also popular outside of DTF. :lol And also Dream Theater.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #741 on: October 31, 2023, 06:08:41 PM »
I love a good handful of Radiohead songs. And then, some songs are just not my jam. Favorite songs: Karma Police, No Surprises, Paranoid Android

Offline The Realm

« Reply #742 on: October 31, 2023, 07:08:19 PM »
If I did submit I would have definitely had Helloween (top 10), Katatonia and BTBAM. I don't think I would have had Radiohead but this is where it got too hard for me as Radiohead were 1 of 50 bands that could have filled my last 10 spots....

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #743 on: October 31, 2023, 08:28:28 PM »
About Anathema: Woah I'm quite surprised they ended up outside the top 10, with all the love they seem to get over here, or maybe that's my own infatuation with them :lol.

I think with how these lists work, the top 10 will probably be bands who are also popular outside of DTF. :lol And also Dream Theater.

I haven't looked yet but I'm really curious how the list will look when you sort by the amount of monthly spotify streams an artist gets. I know it's not a great metric but one I'm pretty interested in seeing.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #744 on: October 31, 2023, 09:56:06 PM »
For the record, I didn’t get OK Computer when it first came out. But a decade later it hit me…HARD. Now I think it’s one of the greatest albums of that decade, and I think it’s one of the albums that defines the 90s. I’ve actually had No Surprises stuck in my head all day.

The rest of their catalog (what I’ve heard anyway) is kinda spotty. But they caught lightning in a bottle for that album.  But based on the feedback in this thread, I will check out In Rainbows
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #745 on: October 31, 2023, 11:57:32 PM »
Please do, it's fantastic and closer to OKC than most albums in between. Reckoner would be on my shortlist for favourite songs of all time.

I've been listening to Miles Davis (some kind of blue primarily) since he was mentioned and it's great  :millahhhh.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTF's Top 50 Bands/Artists Countdown Thread! (#34 & 33 up!)
« Reply #746 on: November 01, 2023, 05:09:33 AM »
More ties!

33t. Big Big Train
Rate Your Music Profile!
Spotify Profile
Monthly Spotify Streams: 19,634
Highest Finish: 1 (The Letter M)
Number of Lists appeared on: 6 (HOF, Metropolaris, Zydar, The Letter M, souptwist, SomeoneLikeHim)

When I checked Spotify streams I didn't realize how many people were in this band :lol. I need to check them out and would love a recommendation, I knew they were fairly popular on DTF. For a while it felt like everytime I went to the "What are you listening to?" thread Zydar was spinning a BBT album.

33t. Peter Gabriel
Rate Your Music Profile!
Spotify Profile
Monthly Spotify Streams: 5,366,209
Highest Finish: 3 (SwedishGoose)
Number of Lists appeared on: 6 (HOF, romdrums, SwedishGoose, Dave_Manchester, TheHoveringSojourn808, The Great Zo)

The only Peter Gabriel album I have is So and I think it's alright, I guess. There are some ok tracks on there and the rest doesn't do anything for me which is why I never explored him further.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
Re: DTF's Top 50 Bands/Artists Countdown Thread! (#33s up!)
« Reply #747 on: November 01, 2023, 05:22:20 AM »
25. Between the Buried and Me
20. Avenged Sevenfold
9. The Dear Hunter
8. Big Big Train

Big Big Train is my best musical discovery of 2023 so I'm still a very new fan of the band. It didn't take long for them to completely win me over though, it sometimes feels like a band tailor made for my tastes. I started with English Electric pt. 1 followed by pt. 2 and I would recommend anyone curious to do the same, those are still my favorite albums. Love, love, love this band. Could see them moving even farther up the rankings once I've had more time with their music.

Edit: For anyone with 15 minutes to spare I recommend East Coast Racer from English Electric pt. 2.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 05:31:37 AM by SomeoneLikeHim »
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #748 on: November 01, 2023, 06:16:19 AM »
Given my general taste in music, I probably should love Big Big Train, but I don't.  They are one of those bands I hear and think, "this sounds really good," but I never have any urge to circle back and listen to them, ever.  They are similar to Marillion and Riverside in that regard, I suppose.  I get why some love them, but they just fail to hit the bullseye for me.

Solo Peter Gabriel is awesome.  He would have been a borderline top 25 artist for me, but I'm still a big fan.  Secret World Live remains in the conversation when I think of what is my favorite live concert DVD/Blu-ray.  Just amazing on all levels.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #749 on: November 01, 2023, 06:25:06 AM »
Big Big Train was my big discovery in late 2021/early 2022. They remind me of early Genesis (which I love). Very English and pastoral prog music. My favourite songs are Swan Hunter and Hedgerow.  I had them at #19 on my list.

I'm a fan of Peter Gabriel as well, I particularly love his first album with Solsbury Hill and Here Comes The Flood. Family Snapshot from "Melt" is brilliant as well. He didn't make my Top 25 though.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline HOF

« Reply #750 on: November 01, 2023, 06:33:00 AM »
Really great pairing today! Two closely associated acts (David Longdon has a similar voice as Peter Gabriel, and Big Big Train have spent a good bit of time at Real World Studios).

BBT were my number 2 band, and it’s nice to see that they made it this high. For a long time I’ve had a “big 3” at the top of my list with BBT on the outside at 4. But I figure at this point since they are active (and 2 of the other 3 aren’t) that it made more sense to rank them second. It’s genuinely close between them and my number 1. Since I first really got into BBT in 2013, I imagine I’ve listened to them more than any other artist. IMO they are the premier modern prog band, and I don’t think anyone is close to their level. Just top notch musicianship, songwriting, and production. They have a good bit of Genesis in their DNA, but they’ve never just parroted them, and they’ve generally grown beyond that sound over the last several albums. They have a diverse and mature sound and they stand apart from their influences on their own.

If I were to recommend one album, it would be either The Underfall Yard or English Electric, but if you just need a couple songs to check out, go with Victorian Brickwork or East Coast Racer (I’d recommend the original English Electric album version first, rather than the re-recorded version on Ingenious Devices).

Gabriel was my number 8 as a solo artist. Don’t know what needs to be said, but he’s just had a lengthy career as an innovator and has a legendary voice. From prog to art rock to world music to pop and back, he’s done it all. It’s too bad he didn’t make more music over the last 20 years, but I’m thankful for the bits we’ve gotten, and at least we’ll get one more in December. There was a period after Up came out where I was just gobbling up all things PG. Easily one of the artists who has made the biggest impact on me as a music listener.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 07:21:18 AM by HOF »

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #751 on: November 01, 2023, 06:57:11 AM »
Gabriel landed at #18. Never heard anything from Big Big Train, although I do remember someone made a thread about the band over at MP's old forum waxing euphoric over them, so maybe I'll check something out.

25. Nightwish (Favourite album: Wishmaster. Favourite song: Beauty of the Beast)
19. Between The Buried And Me (Favourite album: Automata II. Favourite song: The Proverbial Bellow)
18. Peter Gabriel (Favourite album: PG4/Security. Favourite songs: Secret World, Mercy Street, San Jacinto)
9. Godspeed You Black Emperor (Favourite album: Lift Your Skinny Fists... Favourite Song: Storm).

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #752 on: November 01, 2023, 07:15:50 AM »
I'm surprised BBT is this "low", I'd have figured they'd be a bit higher given how they're talked about here.  I've only heard a small portion of their catalog, have liked what I've heard but haven't fallen for them yet.  HOF sent "The Florentine" in my roulette, which is an incredible song, and I hope to discover more like it from them. 

I have a few Peter Gabriel albums, but haven't really spent much time with them yet.  Early on I much preferred Collins-era Genesis, and it's been a gradual process of the Gabriel era growing on me over time. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #753 on: November 01, 2023, 07:22:00 AM »
For the record, for me it’s Collins Genesis over Gabriel Genesis, but Gabriel solo over Collins solo. But I love all of them.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #754 on: November 01, 2023, 07:34:37 AM »
Grown to love Big Big Train over the last couple years. Love David Longdon’s voice. #18

Peter Gabriel is on my list, but not as a solo artist.

« Reply #755 on: November 01, 2023, 07:35:41 AM »
Another hit for me today

Peter Gabriel is special to me for many reasons (his Genesis work mostly), but he was also my first ever concert. My Dad took me to see him when I was just 13 years old and I'll never forget it. His stage show and production being so big and grand made the next several years' worth of concerts I saw significantly less impressive. What do you mean usually the band just stands on stage and plays?

23 Miles Davis
21 Godspeed You! Black Emperor
17 King Crimson
15 Agalloch
6 Peter Gabriel
1 Frank Zappa
Welcome to the Forums!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #756 on: November 01, 2023, 09:11:51 AM »
Two misses.

I like Big Big Train, but not that much to include them in my Top 25/50 list.

Not familiar with the solo output of Peter Gabriel.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #757 on: November 01, 2023, 09:12:53 AM »
More ties!

33t. Big Big Train
Rate Your Music Profile!
Spotify Profile
Monthly Spotify Streams: 19,634
Highest Finish: 1 (The Letter M)
Number of Lists appeared on: 6 (HOF, Metropolaris, Zydar, The Letter M, souptwist, SomeoneLikeHim)

When I checked Spotify streams I didn't realize how many people were in this band :lol. I need to check them out and would love a recommendation, I knew they were fairly popular on DTF. For a while it felt like everytime I went to the "What are you listening to?" thread Zydar was spinning a BBT album.

33t. Peter Gabriel
Rate Your Music Profile!
Spotify Profile
Monthly Spotify Streams: 5,366,209
Highest Finish: 3 (SwedishGoose)
Number of Lists appeared on: 6 (HOF, romdrums, SwedishGoose, Dave_Manchester, TheHoveringSojourn808, The Great Zo)

The only Peter Gabriel album I have is So and I think it's alright, I guess. There are some ok tracks on there and the rest doesn't do anything for me which is why I never explored him further.

NR  Miles Davis
NR  Symphony X
NR  Agalloch
NR  The Deer Hunter
NR  Frank Zappa
NR  Evergrey
NR  UFO
NR  Godspeed You! Black Emperor
NR  Nightwish
NR  Katatonia
NR  Helloween
NR  Between The Buried And Me
NR  Anathema
NR  Radiohead
NR  Peter Gabriel
29  King Crimson
25  ?
01  Big Big Train

Remember when I said...
I wonder how many of us who submitted lists have their number one pick in the Top 40/top 10%?

I guess I'm next! :lol I'm sure Reaper had a good chuckle from me saying that knowing BBT would be next today. I'm just happy to see them make it into the Top 40, and appear on six lists, all regulars in the BBT thread.

Yes, Big Big Train slowly became my current number one band, and it's been nearly 11 years since I discovered them between the releases of English Electric Parts 1 and 2, which is where I would point anyone to start out with them, or rather the compilation of both albums (and new songs from the Make Some Noise EP) as English Electric Full Power. Other recommendations would be Folklore and, if you want to see where the band might be heading next, their last album Welcome To The World, their last with David Longdon and released posthumously.

I'm sure anyone who's read the BBT thread already knows how much I love this band. I've got like nine band shirts, many albums bought in duplicate (or in the case of The Underfall Yard, triplicate), the hardcover biography of the band (which I still need to read), and more. I'll never stop singing their praises and am very excited for the future of the band.

As for Peter Gabriel, I've listened to some of his solo work before, but I've just never gone really deep into it. I'm sure it's all good but I've just not had the time to really give it a chance. Someday, maybe...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #758 on: November 01, 2023, 09:15:35 AM »
2 / 19

Big Big Train
They would probably be somewhere around 30 to 40 for me.
Some fantastic albums and also fantastic live. Got to see them earlier this year....magic
Folkklore holds a special place in my heart

Peter Gabriel
Obviously I love him as I had the higest position for him.
His tenure with Genesis is fantastic but I find his solo output to be stellar as well.
There's quite some stylistic differences within his output but I find it all fantastic from the poppy to the experimental to the world music.
My favorite album of his is US there is just some fantastic wibes that resonate with me on that album.
Pretty sure that i/o will be album of the year for me as I have the 11 songs that have been released so far out of 12.
Saw the i/o tour earlier this year and it was totally awesome.
Seen him 3 times before this as well and the 1993 concert on the Secret World tour is to this day the best concert I have ever seen.
The DVD of the Secret World tour is also magical.... absolutely required for any PG fans.

Not rated
Symphony X , Miles Davis, Avenged Sevenfold, Allagoch,
Scorpions, The Dear Hunter, Frank Zappa, Evergrey, UFO, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Nightwish, Katatonia, Halloween, Between the Buried and Me, Anathema, Radiohead, Big Big Train

3 Peter Gabriel  (favorite album: US, favorite song: Here Comes The Flood)
2 King Crimson  (favorite album: Red, favorite song: Starless)

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #759 on: November 01, 2023, 09:18:27 AM »
Another hit for me today

Peter Gabriel is special to me for many reasons (his Genesis work mostly), but he was also my first ever concert. My Dad took me to see him when I was just 13 years old and I'll never forget it. His stage show and production being so big and grand made the next several years' worth of concerts I saw significantly less impressive. What do you mean usually the band just stands on stage and plays?

Which tour was that?

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #760 on: November 01, 2023, 09:30:17 AM »

...the hardcover biography of the band (which I still need to read)...

I don't have the book yet (it was so hideously expensive at release) so I'm waiting for it to become a bit cheaper. If that ever happens though, it seems to be out of print already.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #761 on: November 01, 2023, 10:00:45 AM »
33t. Big Big Train

33t. Peter Gabriel

I think I've heard OF Big Big Train, but I'm pretty sure I have confused them with Train (that's a band too, right?).  Either way, I have no idea what they sound like.  I've only heard a few Gabriel songs.  Solisbury Hill is really good, but nothing else I've heard appealed to me.

12. Helloween (38)
14. UFO (42)
24. Scorpions (46T)

Not ranked:  Miles Davis, Symphony X, Algalloch, Avenged Sevenfold, King Crimson, The Deer Hunter, Frank Zappa, Evergrey, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Nightwish, Katatonia, Anathema, Between the Buried..., Radiohead, (how big is that train?  it's a) Big Big Train, Peter Gabriel
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline HOF

« Reply #762 on: November 01, 2023, 10:11:25 AM »
33t. Big Big Train

33t. Peter Gabriel

I think I've heard OF Big Big Train, but I'm pretty sure I have confused them with Train (that's a band too, right?).  Either way, I have no idea what they sound like.

Heh, Nick D’Virgilio currently is also drumming for Mr. Big as well, and the joke is that he just needs to get involved with Train so he can be a member of Mr. Big Big Big Train Train. Or Mister Mister.

Offline coz

« Reply #763 on: November 01, 2023, 10:20:36 AM »
That's funny HOF.  0/2 again today.  BBT hasn't really grabbed me.  PG was somewhere in my top 100.

15. Between the Buried and Me
17. Avenged Sevenfold
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

« Reply #764 on: November 01, 2023, 10:44:33 AM »
Another hit for me today

Which tour was that?

Growing Up tour
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline HOF

« Reply #766 on: November 01, 2023, 11:34:38 AM »
I’ll play. Favorite from each PG album:

- Humdrum
- On the Air
- Intruder
- Wallflower (or San Jacinto)
- Red Rain (or In Your Eyes)
- Secret World
- No Way Out

Rarities:
- Here Comes the Flood (either the Fripp/Exposure version or the Shaking the Tree/Hit version)
- The Feeling Begins
- A Different Drum
- This is Party Man
- Speak (Bol)
- Heroes

I’m holding off on I/O until it’s released.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #767 on: November 01, 2023, 11:45:27 AM »
I just made a list of 32 bands I suspect are yet to come, and still had a bunch of names left over.  Gonna be some big snubs, and maybe some major surprises of bands much more popular than I realized they are, or just plain forgot. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #768 on: November 01, 2023, 12:10:15 PM »
Might as well do Big Big Train too. A favorite from each album:

- Losing Your Way
- The Shipping Forecast
- Powder Monkey
- Pick Up If You're There
- Victorian Brickwork
- Fat Billy Shouts Mine
- East Coast Racer
- London Plane
- Grimspound
- Terra Australis Incognita
- The Florentine
- Black With Ink
- Capitoline Venus 

Rarities:
- Mudlarks
- Snowfalls

Offline The Great Zo

« Reply #769 on: November 01, 2023, 12:46:38 PM »
Finally got one!

Not familiar with Katatonia, Helloween, or BTBAM.

Have given a shot to Anathema, Radiohead, and Big Big Train. Have liked what I've heard, but haven't gone back to give any of them a deeper dive. In particular I think Big Big Train could be a band I'd grow to enjoy.

Peter Gabriel is the first from my list. I had him ranked at #19. Such an interesting mix of poignant pop, different musical styles from around the world, and the occasional prog influence, all expertly produced. Up might be my favorite. That album covers some deep emotional territory. I do think PG's got some inconsistency, and a handful of songs I'm genuinely not fond of -- Barry Williams Show, Kiss That Frog, and Biko in particular. Far more hits than misses, though. Unfortunately my schedule didn't work out to catch the tour this year. Hoping he does another.

PG favorites: Intruder, The Family and the Fishing Net, Red Rain, Secret World, Sky Blue