Author Topic: DreamSonic 2023  (Read 68895 times)

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: DreamSonic 2023
« Reply #2030 on: July 27, 2023, 11:33:53 AM »
Here's a tasty thought: what if DT16 has a faint hint of Animals as Leaders influence since they're touring together and JP is probably collecting ideas  here and there?

Or Devin Townsend influence, which would be even better. :biggrin:

I'd be surprised if there wasn't another 8-string song though.

Nah nah, drop Devin and do a co headline with AAL and DT.

No, no, and no.  I love Devin, was psyched to see him, but he's his own thing and let's leave it that way.  I get that others like them, but AAL is boring to me.  Why do we want an AAL-influenced DT when we have AAL?  Or why would I want DT to go down Devin's path, when we have Devin?   Let DT be DT.

Sure, but it's not like Dream Theater is any stranger to wearing their influences on their sleeve. Some of their best songs are pretty obvious homages to other bands in terms of sound.

And I wasn't saying I want an ENTIRE ALBUM that just sounds like Dream Theater trying to be Devin Townsend, that'd be pointless and probably not very good. But maybe if JP decided to, for example, start making guitar loops during his morning coffee like Devin was talking about in the Rick Beato interview, he might run into certain ideas he never would have arrived to otherwise. :)
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2031 on: July 27, 2023, 11:35:20 AM »
Let DT be DT (with more of a reason to make it chugga chugga instead of just doing it).

Devin Townsend be Dream Theater or Dream Theater be Devin Townsend?  :biggrin:

Let Don Tetrucci be Dordan Tudess  :yarr

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #2032 on: July 27, 2023, 11:47:35 AM »
The funny thing is, people on Reddit on Facebook aren't as brutal and ruthless as you're painting them to be, either. They're just saying: Wow, James can't sing anymore. DT needs a new singer (because they care for DT and want to see them put out quality?)
I don't know why I'm jumping into this absolute rollercoaster of a thread, but in my opinion, "DT needs a new singer" and "I care for DT" don't really seem to go together. James is simply too important to their core identity and sound. I also personally want to see each and every member of the band do well and feel supported by the fanbase. Constructive criticism is fair game but there are so many other things they could try to help James out, rather than sacking him. And frankly, if they did sack him, I'm not sure I would have much interest in their music going forward (an opinion that I know is shared by others as well).
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2033 on: July 27, 2023, 01:06:01 PM »
I'll type more when I get home. But this show was an epic way to bookend the touring cycle with the band.

JLB mentioned how they started the tour in Phoenix and ended it there. Me and my friend both yelled when he said who was there.

Devins set was amazing, and I got so pumped when he played By Your Command.

Dream Theaters set was amazing. Of course I cried during Losing Time. I honestly didn't care about JLBs vocals because I was singing along.

I had a blast and enjoyed it all. It was pretty packed and yet people were seated. Only me and a few others stood for Devin. And when DT came on, more people stood, but at the same time, I was in my zone.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2034 on: July 27, 2023, 01:11:37 PM »

That was the highlight of the show for me. :metal
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2035 on: July 27, 2023, 01:22:17 PM »

That was the highlight of the show for me. :metal

Same here. It is so awesome live and with them using the same sound as DT, it made it even more better.

I will also comment on how amazing the frequencies were separated. The bass drops were awesome, being able to feel that low end. It made me think about exactly how the NOMACS actually are.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #2036 on: July 27, 2023, 01:30:44 PM »
Man, I made one post about JLB in Vancouver and it seems this entire thread switches over to that—sorry folks.

Anyways!!! the tour is over now, so let's go and be excited for DT16.

If it's anything like the last two then it may be the best 3 album span since...well, in my opinion, ToT, 8V, Systematic Chaos. I'm sure most people wouldn't include SC in that.

Agreed with the best three in a while. ToT holds a special place in my heart because I got introduced to DT through the Budokan DVD. I would say it would be the best three since 8V, SC and BLSC, but that is just me. I also felt that SC, BCSC and DTOE were all taken from the same pot of inspiration.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Online Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2037 on: July 27, 2023, 01:40:55 PM »

I don't know why I'm jumping into this absolute rollercoaster of a thread, but in my opinion, "DT needs a new singer" and "I care for DT" don't really seem to go together. James is simply too important to their core identity and sound. I also personally want to see each and every member of the band do well and feel supported by the fanbase. Constructive criticism is fair game but there are so many other things they could try to help James out, rather than sacking him. And frankly, if they did sack him, I'm not sure I would have much interest in their music going forward (an opinion that I know is shared by others as well).

I jumped off for a couple of days and this thread expanded by like four pages.  :lol

I actually think the bolded CAN exist together, TOX. Yes, JLB is an integral part of the band's identity. But so was Geoff Tate to Queensryche. So was Steve Walsh to Kansas. So was Midnight to Crimson Glory, etc., etc. The list of singers who have been replaced goes on and on. Yes, the band changes, but they continue. Dream Theater would be absolutely fine with a new voice. Walsh retired because he couldn't do it any longer. Kansas sounds amazing still.

I'd argue that people who feel James' voice is not up to par and want to see someone else front them DO care about DT. A LOT.

Personally, I feel like JLB's voice is a signature element of DT. I would bummed if someone else sang in his place. But that said, if he's unable to perform up to a certain standard, and can't correct some of the vocal issues he is having and it is impacting the band and its bottom line, it's not unheard of for a replacement to be the right move. That's not a diss on JLB whatsoever. I personally just want him to correct whatever is going on and get back out there and hand people their asses for doubting him.  :metal

But, if that's not possible (I have no idea), then I do understand people who care for DT, but yet still want to see someone else front them.

Anyway, my personal opinion is - DT would not be DT without the Pirate. So I hope that whatever is going on with JLB's ability to sing some of these songs -- that he gets it corrected and makes people eat their words.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2038 on: July 27, 2023, 01:55:15 PM »
This is Losing Time from San Jose: https://youtu.be/APgguUhugfA?t=2656

Best one from this tour, i think.

I said "eff it" and decided to listen to this show.
Rather than just relying on people to highlight the "bad" parts. How "bad" is James, really?

Here's my full analysis.

1. The Alien - Overall, Good
I divided James' performance into a few parts.
"First Verse", "Prechorus", "Chorus", "Bridge/Post-Chorus".
He sounded "Good" on the first and second verses, prechoruses, and post-choruses.
He sounded a wee bit pitchy on the first two choruses.
He sounded fine on the final chorus, maybe slightly pitchy on the outro part "I'm the Alien".
On the whole, I think his performance was Good, and within what I'd consider a reasonable and professional expectation for the singer. Lots of applause too.

2. Sleeping Giant - Fair
"First verse" - Good, including a good high note in there at the end of the first verse.
"Chorus" - Starts off a bit pitchy, and misses a few notes. Never really regains footing, and just seems off for most of the chorus.   
"2nd verse" - Very good, seems to have recovered. Good job on the more anthemic "Wooooah".
"2nd Chorus" - A bit better than the first, but still sounds a little off where he is waving in and out of key.
"Final Chorus" - Same as the first two. Maybe the strongest of the lot, but just passable.
"Outro" - This is fine. 
Overall, not a great performance. He seems to struggle with the chorus of this song in particular.
Given that it's brand new material, I find it hard to understand.

3. Caught in a Web - Poor
First Verse - A bit pitchy, but settles in alright.
Prechorus - Same, but the opposite. It starts poorly and kinda improves toward the end.
Chorus -  Surprisingly good, until "Spinning the Lies". He just can't hit that note. It's not distractingly bad or anything.
2nd Verse - Starts fine, but gets progressively worse. He just can't hit those notes and the replacement melody isn't great.
3rd verse - Nice improv on a note he can't hit anymore, in fact this part sounds a lot better overall than the 2nd verse.
Final chorus - Same as above.
Overall, a relatively poor performance of a song that he just doesn't have in the tank anymore. I'm not sure anyone expects him to nail this, and here he clearly does not.

4. Answering the Call - Poor
First verse - Good. Somewhat pitchy toward the end. 
Chorus - Pitchy, pitchy, pitchy.
2nd Verse - He just sounds off on a lot this. Misses the high note before the "prechorus" sounding part.
2nd Chorus - Same, tbh.
Bridge - Sounds a bit better.
Final Chorus - Seems a little bit better this time around. Overall, though, a rough performance.

5. Solitary Shell - Good
First verse - Sounds more or less. Some kinda weird JLBistic ad-libs, but decent.
Prechorus - A little pitchy, but not that bad. I'd say it was fine.
Chorus - Pretty good! Even the higher stuff sounds pretty good, and I was bracing myself. I don't get all the adlibbed "hyea's" and "gna's" though.
2nd Verse - Good.
2nd Chorus - Real good. Until it's not. He starts going flat (or sharp?) at the end. But honestly it sounded pretty good still. It's not enough to ruin what's been a pretty good performance.

6. About to Crash - Fair
First verse - Eh... He kinda sounds like he's barking to stay in key. He glissandos up to the note in a way that feels off at first, too. He's getting it, but it's not pretty.
Chorus - Fine. Nothing really to say.
Overall, I think it's a fair performance. Not pretty, but serviceable.

7. Losing Time - Poor/Fair
First verse - Good. Seems to be right in pocket for him.
Chorus - We've already talked about it, and it's not good.
Post-Chorus Thing - Ditto.
"Grand Finale" - He alternates between sounding very pitchy and very damn good. It's very interesting. Sometimes he sounds like classic James, and other times he totally loses himself, spiralling down... lmao. IDK. Fair, I guess? The crowd seem happy with him so maybe it was alright sounding in person.

8. Pull Me Under - Fair/Good
First verse - Good!
"This world is..." - Good!
"Watch the Sparrow Falling" Onward - Sounds weird but the replacement melody works out by the end.
"This world is...." - Pretty good!
Chorus - Pushing a bit sharp but honestly not too awful to listen to.
2nd Verse - Fair. He just kinda screeches instead of the high note he can't hit. I think it actually kinda works.
He's gonna hurt his voice more doing too much of this! :P
2nd Chorus - Same as the first.
Final chorus - Same, basically, maybe starting to feel more strained here than elsewhere.
It's a lot better than Caught in a Web, that's for sure. I'd say most of it is actually pretty dang good, with moments where it goes out.

9. The Count - Very Good/Great
First verse - Good.
"Get into my car" - some pitchiness but nothing too bad.
2nd verse - Good.
"Let me Introduce" - Good.
Chorus - Good. He does a "young sing now" for the "I" and I can't hear the audience.
3rd verse/prechorus - Good.
2nd Chorus - Good. A little pitchiness here and there but I don't think it's ruining anything.
Outro Verse - Great. Hey he sounds really good when the volume is lower and you can hear his full voice!
OV2 - Same.
"Now wait a minute man" - Good. He doesn't his all the notes but he kinda glissandos to replacement notes in a way that doesn't sound bad.
Overall, a solid performance of a classic. Great way to end the set on a high note.

10. TSCO - Fair.
James Part - Very Good. Right in pocket, like Solitary Shell and TCOT
Devin - Sounds great, obviously.
"Safe in the Light" - Seems to be a bit off at first, but kinda gets his footing toward end.
James and Devin duet the end, so it's it's hard to tell.

Overall, I think James has an alright night. Nothing is as bad as the very specific clip that got shared here. There is "some" stuff that is not great, "some" stuff that is clearly a miss, and mostly a lot of stuff that sounds... well... exactly what you'd expect.

Is he struggling? Sounds like it to me. He's struggling with high notes, across the board. Yet, sometimes he nails it. It does not seem to be a power issue, but maybe one of control and/or hearing. I found myself wondering, at various times, if he could properly hear himself. I wonder if his problems might improve if the band were to turn down a notch. He seems like he still has all the tools in his toolkit, and every time the band were quieter he nailed it.

I would like to hear a soundboard recording of one of these shows because honestly the setlist is great and I do think maybe James would sound a bit better - pitchiness or whatever - when it's not just the thinnest frequency of his voice trying to pierce through a mush.

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2039 on: July 27, 2023, 06:08:31 PM »
Hey Guys, been off the forum for awhile, but having seen DreamSonic in Phoenix last night, I felt like weighing in.  Great show overall...I was impressed with AAL (had never heard them before), but there wasn't much energy in the room at that point and dare I say it, they got a little boring for me about halfway through their set.  Devin was pretty good, although his stuff isn't really to my taste.  He does have a great voice (IMHO) and his "frontman" skills are fun (playing with the Theremin was entertaining) and made his set enjoyable for me.

I really enjoyed DT's set and it was great to hear some of the older songs again.  Big emotions with TSCO...short story, mom passed away on 7/25/06, I did a M&G with DT on 7/25/07 and MP said he'd dedicate TSCO that night to her.  Flash forward to 7/26/23, and they close with TSCO, so a great way to end the night.  The highlight for me was listening to Devin sing some of the song.

A quick $0.02 on JLB.  TBH, I thought he sounded good and on pitch for most of the night, although there were certainly some noticeable spots he was off, and certainly some times he went for the lower octave rather than risking going high.  But what I will say (not to start this thing again), is that I definitely noticed he sounds a bit more pitchy on my couple of phone audio recordings (essentially videoing the floor so security didn't have a chat with me) than I caught during the show itself.  I'm not making any conclusions one way or another...just something I noticed.

Anyway, great show and a great night to close out the tour.   :metal :metal :metal

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #2040 on: July 27, 2023, 06:51:12 PM »

I jumped off for a couple of days and this thread expanded by like four pages.  :lol

I actually think the bolded CAN exist together, TOX. Yes, JLB is an integral part of the band's identity. But so was Geoff Tate to Queensryche. So was Steve Walsh to Kansas. So was Midnight to Crimson Glory, etc., etc. The list of singers who have been replaced goes on and on. Yes, the band changes, but they continue. Dream Theater would be absolutely fine with a new voice. Walsh retired because he couldn't do it any longer. Kansas sounds amazing still.

I'd argue that people who feel James' voice is not up to par and want to see someone else front them DO care about DT. A LOT.

Personally, I feel like JLB's voice is a signature element of DT. I would bummed if someone else sang in his place. But that said, if he's unable to perform up to a certain standard, and can't correct some of the vocal issues he is having and it is impacting the band and its bottom line, it's not unheard of for a replacement to be the right move. That's not a diss on JLB whatsoever. I personally just want him to correct whatever is going on and get back out there and hand people their asses for doubting him.  :metal

But, if that's not possible (I have no idea), then I do understand people who care for DT, but yet still want to see someone else front them.

Anyway, my personal opinion is - DT would not be DT without the Pirate. So I hope that whatever is going on with JLB's ability to sing some of these songs -- that he gets it corrected and makes people eat their words.

The band would not lose anywhere near the number of fans they lost when MP left, I'd wager.

I am not saying he should be out; I am just saying if they called, say, Roy Khan and offered him the gig I wouldn't be unhappy. I recognize and fully accept that who we have now is just who we're getting until it's curtain call time for DT.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2041 on: July 27, 2023, 07:01:50 PM »

The band would not lose anywhere near the number of fans they lost when MP left, I'd wager.

It wasn't like there was a mass exodus when MP left. I'd say they were just as strong through the ADTOE and DT12 cycles. I think The Astonishing soured a large number of fans and started to filter people out.

I think in the long term, it's noticeable to me how different the band is run by JP as opposed to MP. For me, it's definitely not for the better, but you can't argue with their output.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• PR permission
« Reply #2042 on: July 27, 2023, 07:08:41 PM »

It wasn't like there was a mass exodus when MP left
. I'd say they were just as strong through the ADTOE and DT12 cycles. I think The Astonishing soured a large number of fans and started to filter people out.

I think in the long term, it's noticeable to me how different the band is run by JP as opposed to MP. For me, it's definitely not for the better, but you can't argue with their output.

For sure. I bet they were bracing for far worse. In one interview JP said they knew there were some fans they'd just never get back. DT brushed it off mostly unscathed. Part of that has to do with the abilities of the replacement.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply they lost a ton of fans

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2043 on: July 27, 2023, 07:17:37 PM »

It wasn't like there was a mass exodus when MP left
. I'd say they were just as strong through the ADTOE and DT12 cycles. I think The Astonishing soured a large number of fans and started to filter people out.

For sure. I bet they were bracing for far worse. In one interview JP said they knew there were some fans they'd just never get back. DT brushed it off mostly unscathed. Part of that has to do with the abilities of the replacement.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply they lost a ton of fans

OK, cool.

If anything, I think most fans agreed with MP, in that the band was getting stale. I didn't personally feel that way, but I know it was expressed.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2044 on: July 27, 2023, 09:28:07 PM »
Hey Guys, been off the forum for awhile, but having seen DreamSonic in Phoenix last night, I felt like weighing in.  Great show overall...I was impressed with AAL (had never heard them before), but there wasn't much energy in the room at that point and dare I say it, they got a little boring for me about halfway through their set.  Devin was pretty good, although his stuff isn't really to my taste.  He does have a great voice (IMHO) and his "frontman" skills are fun (playing with the Theremin was entertaining) and made his set enjoyable for me.

I really enjoyed DT's set and it was great to hear some of the older songs again.  Big emotions with TSCO...short story, mom passed away on 7/25/06, I did a M&G with DT on 7/25/07 and MP said he'd dedicate TSCO that night to her.  Flash forward to 7/26/23, and they close with TSCO, so a great way to end the night.  The highlight for me was listening to Devin sing some of the song.

Cool story and review! So did MP dedicate it over the PA or was it more like a mental personal dedication before they played it? Either way, very cool of MP.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2045 on: July 27, 2023, 09:33:55 PM »
Neat guitar Tosin pulled out :)

It looks like it was a gift for JP :metal :hefdaddy
https://www.facebook.com/abasiguitars/posts/pfbid02HugQhfqFVC1QWVvsbeUhT1DekTwaptJZojQsR94zUg3BT43Cx8DKRECtiAdADBAnl

@johnpetrucciofficial has always been a massive source of inspiration to us at Abasi Concepts, so we decided to pay homage to one of his iconic guitar finishes with this incredible one-off ēmi 8 (painted by the same artist who originally painted John’s guitar - Dan Lawrence) to commemorate @tosinabasi and @animalsasleaders  finishing the Dreamsonic Tour with @dreamtheaterofficial and @dvntownsend 🤘🫡🔥

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2046 on: July 27, 2023, 10:37:37 PM »
That is super cool! Wish he had it earlier on the tour as I would've loved to see it in person. Maybe JP will bust it out next time he needs an 8 string on stage? :D
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2047 on: July 27, 2023, 11:25:09 PM »
I've not heard any of Tosin's music but every time I see a photo of him, or a quick video, he has the most magnetic smile on his face. He just radiates loveliness and class. I really like that.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2048 on: July 28, 2023, 04:50:32 AM »
That's so cool!   

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2049 on: July 28, 2023, 06:47:45 AM »
I've not heard any of Tosin's music but every time I see a photo of him, or a quick video, he has the most magnetic smile on his face. He just radiates loveliness and class. I really like that.

His music might not be for everyone but from what I've seen and very brief time I got to meet him he is a class act through and through.

Online Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2050 on: July 28, 2023, 07:55:25 AM »
That gift is bad ass! Love JP's face!  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2051 on: July 28, 2023, 07:59:32 AM »

Cool story and review! So did MP dedicate it over the PA or was it more like a mental personal dedication before they played it? Either way, very cool of MP.

That was really nice of Portnoy.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2052 on: July 28, 2023, 10:29:34 AM »
Neat guitar Tosin pulled out :)

It looks like it was a gift for JP :metal :hefdaddy
https://www.facebook.com/abasiguitars/posts/pfbid02HugQhfqFVC1QWVvsbeUhT1DekTwaptJZojQsR94zUg3BT43Cx8DKRECtiAdADBAnl

@johnpetrucciofficial has always been a massive source of inspiration to us at Abasi Concepts, so we decided to pay homage to one of his iconic guitar finishes with this incredible one-off ēmi 8 (painted by the same artist who originally painted John’s guitar - Dan Lawrence) to commemorate @tosinabasi and @animalsasleaders  finishing the Dreamsonic Tour with @dreamtheaterofficial and @dvntownsend 🤘🫡🔥

This is the coolest thing ever.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2053 on: July 28, 2023, 10:39:05 AM »
I'd love to see hm play it live but I wonder if there are restrictions around that and his contract with EB.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2054 on: July 28, 2023, 10:44:55 AM »
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 12:00:39 PM by ReaperKK »

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2055 on: July 28, 2023, 10:59:51 AM »
I'd love to see hm play it live but I wonder if there are restrictions around that and his contract with EB.

I wonder if JP's social media team needed to clear those images with EB before posting..

• PR permission
« Reply #2056 on: July 28, 2023, 11:00:23 AM »

You're probably right that there is some language around how often he has to be promoting the Majesty. But I don't think it would be on a micro-managing level to where he couldn't play it for one song. EBMM wouldn't make a big deal out of that. JP's guitars have taken that company to the next level of success.

The biggest reason why I don't think he's going to ever play it live is because of the control layout of the Abasi models. On JP's guitars since the Ibanez days, everything is moved out of the way of the right hand trajectory. On the Abasi you're getting Tosin's preference, which is very different. Also are those Fishman active pickups? Going to be VERY different response and feel from his usual set.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2057 on: July 28, 2023, 11:12:21 AM »

You're probably right that there is some language around how often he has to be promoting the Majesty. But I don't think it would be on a micro-managing level to where he couldn't play it for one song. EBMM wouldn't make a big deal out of that. JP's guitars have taken that company to the next level of success.

The biggest reason why I don't think he's going to ever play it live is because of the control layout of the Abasi models. On JP's guitars since the Ibanez days, everything is moved out of the way of the right hand trajectory. On the Abasi you're getting Tosin's preference, which is very different. Also are those Fishman active pickups? Going to be VERY different response and feel from his usual set.

I actually think they would, I've heard through a guitar podcast with various guitarists that contracts with guitar manufacturers are incredibly strict in terms of what you can been seen with performing live. Not only is this not a EB guitar, but it's also a guitar that calls back a previous signature guitar of johns from an entirely different company.

• PR permission
« Reply #2058 on: July 28, 2023, 11:21:01 AM »

I actually think they would, I've heard through a guitar podcast with various guitarists that contracts with guitar manufacturers are incredibly strict in terms of what you can been seen with performing live. Not only is this not a EB guitar, but it's also a guitar that calls back a previous signature guitar of johns from an entirely different company.

JP is personal friends with the Ball family and keep in mind it is a different animal being a family owned business. So, if he were playing a Fender (owned by private equity) yeah, they may try to be really strict with you because it is first and foremost about showing external investors your margins and returns are meeting expectations. Probably not as much personal relationship there. But your friend, whom you've made a crap ton (and I mean a crap ton) of money over 20 years? I kinda doubt Sterling Ball makes a stink over that.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2059 on: July 28, 2023, 11:36:36 AM »
And Tosin has the Kaizen collaboration with Ernie Ball. Doubt anything will happen. Did you guys see the Predatour video JP posted?  :rollin

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2060 on: July 28, 2023, 11:51:00 AM »
I doubt he'll ever use it live, as he's the kind of guy who prefers playing with what he's the most comfortable, but I can see him taking it to the studio for DT16 and at least use it for the writing sessions. Different instruments can spark different creative responses :tup

As for his EBMM contract, I don't think there's any problems with that at all. JP is a big reason why this company is as successful as they are. Also, AFAIK, JP's contact nowadays is just a big handshake with Sterling Ball. There's a few videos of them doing that at NAMM a few years back, and apparently they do that every year :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2061 on: July 28, 2023, 11:57:40 AM »
I doubt he'll ever use it live, as he's the kind of guy who prefers playing with what he's the most comfortable, but I can see him taking it to the studio for DT16 and at least use it for the writing sessions. Different instruments can spark different creative responses :tup

As for his EBMM contract, I don't think there's any problems with that at all. JP is a big reason why this company is as successful as they are. Also, AFAIK, JP's contact nowadays is just a big handshake with Sterling Ball. There's a few videos of them doing that at NAMM a few years back, and apparently they do that every year :lol

Came in to mention this. In addition to Abasi Concepts (Tosin's own guitar/gear company), he/Abasi have a relationship with MusicMan and Tosin his own signature guitar thru them as well.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2062 on: July 28, 2023, 12:00:14 PM »
.wrong thread

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2063 on: July 28, 2023, 12:04:50 PM »

You are right, but what I can see happening is JP bringing it to his JP Universe camp and using it for some of the Jam sessions.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2064 on: July 28, 2023, 12:08:14 PM »

He did it personally with me during the pre-show M&G, and JR (sitting next to him who heard what he said) acknowledged it too.  I was in the front row, and when they started playing it, MP pointed to me and then to the sky, and I gave him a hand over my heart and pointed back.  Definitely an emotional gesture that still means so much to me to this day.