Author Topic: DREAM THEATER - Europe leg of the 40th Anniversary Tour 2024-2025  (Read 25545 times)

neseblod and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline crystalstars17

Re: DREAM THEATER - Europe leg of our 40th Anniversary Tour 2024-2025
« Reply #140 on: April 08, 2024, 04:53:49 PM »
I've barely had time to do more than skim this thread, but the announcement, the article, all of it, it's all such good news.  :)

Lovely that symbology for albums across the entire era of the band are prominent.

I love this. My husband and I spent a considerable moment finding all the visual references to the albums. It's all so very exciting. I'm so happy to see references to TA, ADTOE and DoT, but I think I may have strained my eyes searching for anything from AVFTTOTW, only to find nothing.  :( Glad to see Octavarium so prominently shown. I think I saw most of the albums with my bucket list songs on them referenced, and already squeeing like the fangirl I am ("A little ant!! Forsaken!!!"), lol. Time will tell  :)

Offline geeeemo

Re: DREAM THEATER - Europe leg of the 40th Anniversary Tour 2024-2025
« Reply #141 on: April 08, 2024, 05:01:45 PM »
I think that was euro (for one of the shows on the continent), not pounds.

my error. Still the same idea though.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #142 on: April 08, 2024, 05:43:40 PM »
The evidence is mounting... See my other thread. We are SO back

Wrong. Still greatly anticipating where the shows will be in the Northeast though. Hopefully not in the middle of winter.

Offline EvantheMotel6Owmer

• The Dream Theater obsessive of Southern Michigan.
« Reply #143 on: April 08, 2024, 06:31:03 PM »
I’m guessing that promoters are counting on a few factors. It’s the first show with Portnoy, it’s the only show in the U.K. (At least on this leg) and it’s an anniversary show. I’m sure the numbers were better on the I&W and SFAM anniversary shows. 

I can’t be there, but I hope they sell the motherfucker out, and it’s the greatest show ever.

They 100% were. My venue for the View tour was probably about half empty. The same venue for the Metropolis Part 2 anniversary/Distance Over Time tour was at least about 75% full.
"The powers that be made you a martyr, conspiracy lead you to slaughter."

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #144 on: April 08, 2024, 07:58:15 PM »
I'm tempted to go to the London show.  Or Switzerland.  The wife wants to visit Switzerland at some point in the next few years, if we can get vacation time lined up.  But Switzerland in mid-November?  Southern Cal may have softened me too much for that.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #145 on: April 08, 2024, 10:51:33 PM »
I feel so bad for MP that he has to sit and listen to The Astonishing.  :lol

To this day I have never heard the whole thing

Sounds to me like you’re the last person who should have an opinion on it then. lol.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #146 on: April 09, 2024, 12:27:21 AM »
Extremely exciting news, and as fortune would have it for me, the very first show is in my neck of the woods! It's a no brainer, I have to be there  :biggrin:

Despite what was mentioned a couple of pages ago I can't seem to find any information on how much tickets will be, prior to them going on sale... have tried both the gigsandtours website and O2 but no joy.

I toyed with the idea of going for the VIP package, as this is something I have never done despite seeing them more than 10 times. Sadly I don't think my finances will stretch at this moment in the time... again, I'm having to go on a vague assumption that VIP tickets will be upwards of £300+... again, really frustrating that it doesn't seem possible to find out what the pricing plan is before the sale starts as I will be really anxious to book my ticket ASAP.

Is there a suggestion that standing shows will be returning? Someone on an earlier page did mention "golden circle" and there is also a bit on gigsandtours for the London show that says "No under 16s in the Standing areas"... although this may be generic wording.

As much as I personally excited for this show and feel it's guaranteed to be a historic one for the band, I am inclined to agree with the sentiment that booking out the O2 Arena seems a bit of a gamble. I get that this will be the only UK show and there is also an expectation that people will be travelling in from other countries to see the first show, but still... it's massive, far beyond any venue I ever imagined them playing. Fortunately for me it's only an hour or so away but, is it reasonable to expect that a sufficient number of fans are going to come from all corners of the UK and beyond to fill this place up? For the band's sake I really hope this pays off.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #147 on: April 09, 2024, 02:08:46 AM »
Next October Milan it is.

Meet up?

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #148 on: April 09, 2024, 02:10:47 AM »
If they don't add up Turkey date this time again I'll probably fly over Germany or Switzerland.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline efx

« Reply #149 on: April 09, 2024, 02:37:10 AM »
Got row 5 center for the Stockholm show. Going with my dad who's been going with me since 1995. This will feel very special..

Offline Curt

« Reply #150 on: April 09, 2024, 03:22:49 AM »
I got ROW N, which is the 14th row, for London. £157.60, O2 presale

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: April 09, 2024, 04:12:11 AM »
So mobile customers of O2 have had early access? FFS.

Edit: ooh, that's really wound me right up. First world problem, Iknow :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #152 on: April 09, 2024, 04:30:08 AM »
I've barely had time to do more than skim this thread, but the announcement, the article, all of it, it's all such good news.  :)

I love this. My husband and I spent a considerable moment finding all the visual references to the albums. It's all so very exciting. I'm so happy to see references to TA, ADTOE and DoT, but I think I may have strained my eyes searching for anything from AVFTTOTW, only to find nothing.  :( Glad to see Octavarium so prominently shown. I think I saw most of the albums with my bucket list songs on them referenced, and already squeeing like the fangirl I am ("A little ant!! Forsaken!!!"), lol. Time will tell  :)

The only thing I can think of is the birds to the far left of the picture. There is a bird/eagle or whatever on the cover of the View album.

What I can't figure out is the figure right underneath the birds. It looks like a man bending over like the man with sheeves on Led Zepplin 4. But that's just me.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #153 on: April 09, 2024, 04:42:01 AM »
So my mate WhatsApped me last night and told me about this. I'm so excited!

Then I googled details - one UK show at the O2 of all places. I've never experienced such excitement turn to such disappointment so quickly. The O2 is a HORRIBLE venue.

I've seen DT at Wembley Arena on 3 occasions, and they're probably the 3 worst DT shows I've seen. DT just aren't an arena band. They turn up with their theatre-sized venue production, no extra lights, no lasers, no jumbo screens, and they're just lost in that cow-shed venue. Arena bands need big, full sized arena productions, and frankly DT have never stepped up their game. it doesn't help that Wembley is usually half empty when they play there, and on the ADTOE tour, embarrassingly empty.

I've never enjoyed DT in an arena, and so I made the decision not to see them in an arena again. They've spent the last few years playing Hammersmith as their go-to London venue, and that's great. When they played arenas in 2022, including Wembley, I decided not to go, as I knew I wouldn't enjoy it. It was the first tour I missed since Train of Thought (my father died and the gig was the same day as his funeral).

I'm not surprised to see them in an arena, MP rejoining was at least in part an attempt to increase ticket sales. But the O2? I'm still in shock, that's an audacious choice of venue. I hope they come close to filling it.

If I can get decent tickets near the front, even if I have to pay for the VIP package, then I'm up for it (wonder if the VIP includes a good seat or if it's just a meet n' greet upgrade). If not, then no, I'm not going. I'll wait for the 2025 European leg and hope they're back in Hammersmith.

#FirstWorldProblems I know.

EDIT: Oh who am I kidding, of course I'll go. Unless I don't. Arrgh!
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #154 on: April 09, 2024, 04:43:26 AM »
What I can't figure out is the figure right underneath the birds. It looks like a man bending over like the man with sheeves on Led Zepplin 4. But that's just me.

It's the girl headbanging on the 8VM album cover. The birds are the birds on the 8VM cover too
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #155 on: April 09, 2024, 04:44:38 AM »
The only thing I can think of is the birds to the far left of the picture. There is a bird/eagle or whatever on the cover of the View album.

I thought of the birds too but my husband thinks they're the birds on Octavarium. Same for the bent-over person.

We couldn't figure out the mask-like face on the ground (center, under the big X's) nor the lightning. Maybe these are already references to the new album?

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #156 on: April 09, 2024, 04:48:03 AM »
I’m going to (try) to get tickets for the Amsterdam show. I have to be honest, last time in Amsterdam I thought the show wasn’t all that great and I skipped the Tilburg date that came shortly after it. MP returning however does bring out the 15 year old fanboy in me that first saw them live on the Train of Thought tour.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #157 on: April 09, 2024, 04:53:52 AM »
I thought of the birds too but my husband thinks they're the birds on Octavarium. Same for the bent-over person.

We couldn't figure out the mask-like face on the ground (center, under the big X's) nor the lightning. Maybe these are already references to the new album?

Well they did include the inertia balls for 82V and yes, I couldn't figure that on (face) out either. And for the poster that questioned WDAU, I thought Majesty logo took care of that but who knows.

It's fun though! :)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: April 09, 2024, 04:56:20 AM »
So that yellow car (taxi?) is a reference to the Along For The Ride single.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #159 on: April 09, 2024, 04:58:32 AM »
So that yellow car (taxi?) is a reference to the Along For The Ride single.

Well - that was my interpretation of D12.

But the other thing for me was, why 4 X's instead if 5?

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #160 on: April 09, 2024, 04:59:41 AM »
I thought Majesty logo took care of that but who knows.

It's fun though! :)

We thought the logo also took care of the self-titled.

It is fun!  :)

Offline gborland

« Reply #161 on: April 09, 2024, 05:00:44 AM »

4 times 10 is 40
Graham Borland

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: April 09, 2024, 05:00:53 AM »
Well - that was my interpretation of D12.

The four X's are to represent 40 years in Roman numerals. But it would be XL actually.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline genome

« Reply #163 on: April 09, 2024, 05:33:20 AM »
Judging by O2 presale, the very top section of the O2 won't be sold. It's floor and 1st level only

Also, for info:
Cheapest ticket is £55 at back of arena, slightly further along is £88, then £110, and most expensive tickets are £155

Offline genome

« Reply #164 on: April 09, 2024, 05:39:46 AM »
So my mate WhatsApped me last night and told me about this. I'm so excited!

Then I googled details - one UK show at the O2 of all places. I've never experienced such excitement turn to such disappointment so quickly. The O2 is a HORRIBLE venue.

I've seen DT at Wembley Arena on 3 occasions, and they're probably the 3 worst DT shows I've seen. DT just aren't an arena band. They turn up with their theatre-sized venue production, no extra lights, no lasers, no jumbo screens, and they're just lost in that cow-shed venue. Arena bands need big, full sized arena productions, and frankly DT have never stepped up their game. it doesn't help that Wembley is usually half empty when they play there, and on the ADTOE tour, embarrassingly empty.

I've never enjoyed DT in an arena, and so I made the decision not to see them in an arena again. They've spent the last few years playing Hammersmith as their go-to London venue, and that's great. When they played arenas in 2022, including Wembley, I decided not to go, as I knew I wouldn't enjoy it. It was the first tour I missed since Train of Thought (my father died and the gig was the same day as his funeral).

I'm not surprised to see them in an arena, MP rejoining was at least in part an attempt to increase ticket sales. But the O2? I'm still in shock, that's an audacious choice of venue. I hope they come close to filling it.

If I can get decent tickets near the front, even if I have to pay for the VIP package, then I'm up for it (wonder if the VIP includes a good seat or if it's just a meet n' greet upgrade). If not, then no, I'm not going. I'll wait for the 2025 European leg and hope they're back in Hammersmith.

#FirstWorldProblems I know.

EDIT: Oh who am I kidding, of course I'll go. Unless I don't. Arrgh!

If it makes you feel better, I saw Genesis and Queen there in 2022, and the sound was great. Way, way, WAY better than Wembley Arena. I think DT would sound pretty great at the O2.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #165 on: April 09, 2024, 05:42:45 AM »
Judging by O2 presale, the very top section of the O2 won't be sold. It's floor and 1st level only

Also, for info:
Cheapest ticket is £55 at back of arena, slightly further along is £88, then £110, and most expensive tickets are £155

Thank you for that pricing info. I am not an O2 customer, so I will have to wait til tomorrow the earliest and try my luck.

Yes, the O2 Arena is a great place for concerts.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline efx

« Reply #166 on: April 09, 2024, 06:09:02 AM »
Yeah I saw Iron Maiden there last summer and it was fantastic. Helped that I stayed at the hotel next door so I could walk to and from the venue but I had no complaints about the sound or anything.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #167 on: April 09, 2024, 07:20:47 AM »
4 times 10 is 40

In Roman numerals it should be XL, but I see that it is nicer visually and a less literal message to have X (ten) four times. The letter X may look more like a random object than the letter L.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #168 on: April 09, 2024, 07:44:42 AM »
In Roman numerals it should be XL, but I see that it is nicer visually and a less literal message to have X (ten) four times. The letter X may look more like a random object than the letter L.

It's actually the XL (extra large) tour, which is why they're playing arenas way too big for them.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #169 on: April 09, 2024, 07:44:50 AM »
Why would there be 5?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #170 on: April 09, 2024, 07:49:45 AM »
Why would there be 5?

5 Xs representing each member.

And as far as me not getting the 40 years - doh!  :facepalm:

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #171 on: April 09, 2024, 07:51:56 AM »
So that they can have the tour finale in NYC.

Well that makes a ton of sense. If I know MP he's already planning a DVD of the show. Hopefully the crowd brings the energy. It's been 25 years since the last recorded NY show, right? Live Scenes?

Offline Trav86

« Reply #172 on: April 09, 2024, 08:07:27 AM »
It's actually the XL (extra large) tour, which is why they're playing arenas way too big for them.

That works.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #173 on: April 09, 2024, 08:08:36 AM »
So mobile customers of O2 have had early access? FFS.

Edit: ooh, that's really wound me right up. First world problem, Iknow :biggrin:

Goddamit, should have realised this earlier as I am an O2 customer!  :-[

Now managed to bag myself a ticket on Row F on the floor, Myung side, so six rows back from the front... looks like these ones are going quickly.

Looks like the shows are remaining fully seated... I'm somewhat surprised, I thought MP might have pushed for standing gigs to make a return.

At present I'll be going on my lonesome as I was too anxious to wait for others to get back to me to confirm whether they would be prepared to join me in the incredibly expensive seats... Might be cool to meet up with anyone else here who will be going though :metal

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #174 on: April 09, 2024, 08:20:34 AM »
Well that makes a ton of sense. If I know MP he's already planning a DVD of the show. Hopefully the crowd brings the energy. It's been 25 years since the last recorded NY show, right? Live Scenes?
Score at RCMH in 2006. 
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.