Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 998804 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #9170 on: March 27, 2019, 06:22:37 PM »
The first half of Repentance is quite good, up until the lame apology section and the annoyingly vocalized Promises.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline PetFish

« Reply #9171 on: March 27, 2019, 06:57:00 PM »
I don't think Live Scenes is that bad as a live album. As a DVD it's terrible, who they hell thought those effects were good? I think for '99 those were terrible.

It's all Portnoy's doing.  It's in the commentary.  I think it all has to do with MP being overly-excited about this amazing show that he got lost in the possibilities of what can be done with editing and wanting the final product to be especially special.

I'd be surprised if he looks at it now and thinks "wtf was I doing here", I definitely look back at my early websites, graphics, and photography and think "wtf was I doing here".

Offline Volante99

« Reply #9172 on: March 27, 2019, 07:11:41 PM »
I don’t mind the speaking parts in Repentance. It’s not a great song but it’s ceetqinly not amongst their worst in my opinion. It works within the context of 12 step suite, especially.

I only wonder how they got Mikael Akerfeldt to do a speaking part as by all accounts he is not a fan of Dream Theater or Mike Portnoy lol. (yes I do know they’ve done some touring together)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #9173 on: March 27, 2019, 07:25:35 PM »
I only wonder how they got Mikael Akerfeldt to do a speaking part as by all accounts he is not a fan of Dream Theater or Mike Portnoy lol. (yes I do know they’ve done some touring together)

You mean Steven Wilson? He's the one on record saying he doesn't like DT or MP. Akerfeldt is apparently good friends with MP and the DT guys, he even guested twice on DT shows (for Repentance and ANTR).

Also, this is from Wacken 2015:

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #9174 on: March 28, 2019, 01:35:21 AM »
The first half of Repentance is quite good, up until the lame apology section and the annoyingly vocalized Promises.

:iagree:

I love SC as it is, but it would've been so much better paced if Repentance wasn't so drawn out.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #9175 on: March 28, 2019, 07:41:59 AM »

:iagree:

I love SC as it is, but it would've been so much better paced if Repentance wasn't so drawn out.

It's a bit drawn out, but I wouldn't say it completely ruins the experience. It would've been nice to get something a little more streamlined with Repentance, but musically it's nice at least.

If we're comparing songs that were needlessly drawn out by long sample or spoken sections, I would take Repentance over Honor Thy Father or The Great Debate a hundred times over.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Ruba

« Reply #9176 on: March 28, 2019, 09:39:41 AM »
Repentance is the best part of 12-Step Suite for me.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9177 on: March 28, 2019, 10:36:49 AM »
The first half of Repentance is boring as fuck, and then the lame apology section and the annoyingly vocalized Promises make it virtually unlistenable.

ftfy

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9178 on: March 28, 2019, 11:22:24 AM »
I like the idea of having the Promises in the song, I just don't like it with that modulated voice.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9179 on: March 28, 2019, 02:13:11 PM »
I always got the impression that by the time of Repentance, the 12-step suite had become an albatross around DT's neck. TGP covered 3 steps, but then they dropped it down to 2 steps per song, which meant the project was going to last for another 4 albums. Since they needed to give somewhat equal treatment to each step, they were now forced into dedicating 10 minutes of each album towards a single topic. I actually think they should have left maybe the last 3 steps or so "unsung", as a nod to the fact that AA recovery is never over really.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9180 on: March 28, 2019, 02:18:04 PM »
100% on that. Except for the last sentence. The 12th Step is something about continuing to work the program and helping others "I am responsible..."), so while it is indeed never really over, the final step addresses that.

There is also a "13th Step." Too bad they didn't address that in song. Would have been a great opportunity from a lyrical standpoint :)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9181 on: March 28, 2019, 02:24:53 PM »
Speaking of "I am responsible", that section is so awesome.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9182 on: March 28, 2019, 02:28:36 PM »
If they really wanted to stay true to the principle of it not being a "12-steps-check-the-boxes-and-you're-done" and instead a lifelong process, then DT should have continued to dedicate a song to it on every album.  Granted, by now, it would be hard to still come up with titles that embody the struggle AND start with the letter "R."  I dunno.  "Redirected (to Red Bull & Root Beer)" for this last album?  ???
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9183 on: March 28, 2019, 02:34:03 PM »
There is also a "13th Step." Too bad they didn't address that in song. Would have been a great opportunity from a lyrical standpoint :)

Maybe MP was saving that for another song in the future

Indeed, a big reason why I like TSF so much.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #9184 on: March 28, 2019, 04:09:03 PM »
I remember being kinda surprised when This Dying Soul came about. For sure I knew The Glass Prison's theme but maybe from interviews it wasn't abundantly clear that it was the beginning of a saga, or maybe it was clear and I missed it. After all The Glass Prison seemed conclusive in itself - beginning with all the struggles, middle part with a different approach, long solo, final conclusive part, "the door was wide open", glass shattered. The end. Turns out it definitively wasn't  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Shredzorz

« Reply #9185 on: March 28, 2019, 05:16:37 PM »
Lines in the Sand would be a contender for their best song if the chorus weren't so awful.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #9186 on: March 28, 2019, 05:23:52 PM »
Lines in the Sand would be a contender for their best song if the chorus weren't so awful.

I love the whole song and it has my favourite JP guitar solo.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9187 on: March 28, 2019, 07:56:02 PM »

Seconded. Plus the intro goes on too damn long.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9188 on: March 28, 2019, 07:57:43 PM »

It's the only decent part of TSF. But yes, it is awesome.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9189 on: March 28, 2019, 08:47:21 PM »
I don't think Live Scenes is that bad as a live album. As a DVD it's terrible, who they hell thought those effects were good? I think for '99 those were terrible.

It's all Portnoy's doing.  It's in the commentary.  I think it all has to do with MP being overly-excited about this amazing show that he got lost in the possibilities of what can be done with editing and wanting the final product to be especially special.

I'd be surprised if he looks at it now and thinks "wtf was I doing here", I definitely look back at my early websites, graphics, and photography and think "wtf was I doing here".

Looking at his website design I wonder if he does think that :lol

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #9190 on: March 28, 2019, 09:09:47 PM »
Besides the intro, the keyboard solo section is the best part of The Shattered Fortress.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #9191 on: March 28, 2019, 09:13:23 PM »
Besides the intro, the keyboard solo section is the best part of The Shattered Fortress.

I'd be surprised if that was an unpopular opinion! The intro and keyboard solo section are incredible, especially the Breaking the Fourth Wall version where the difference between the Korg and Continuum is clearer

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #9192 on: March 29, 2019, 04:55:54 AM »
The Shattered Fortress is my favourite of the 12-Step songs. I know a lot of people don't like the reprises, but I think it's a great song to tie everything together, & the Repentance reprises are much better than their originals imo.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9193 on: March 29, 2019, 07:05:38 AM »
The animations never bothered me but some of that movie footage was... egad, not great. I don't think it was "MP's movie though" didn't a third party do all the work on that?
If memory serves, MP was listed as the director of the project.  So even if he didn't physically shoot it himself, he was responsible for it.

*cues up "I am responsible" section from The Shattered Fortress*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #9194 on: March 29, 2019, 07:22:34 AM »
The animations never bothered me but some of that movie footage was... egad, not great. I don't think it was "MP's movie though" didn't a third party do all the work on that?
If memory serves, MP was listed as the director of the project.  So even if he didn't physically shoot it himself, he was responsible for it.

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #9195 on: March 29, 2019, 07:27:10 AM »

I'd be surprised if that was an unpopular opinion! The intro and keyboard solo section are incredible, especially the Breaking the Fourth Wall version where the difference between the Korg and Continuum is clearer

The keyboard solo in TSF is very cool, but it doesn't top JP's solo.
BC&SL is one of my least favorite DT albums, but the guitar work, specially the solos, is just incredible :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9196 on: March 29, 2019, 08:06:48 AM »

:lol

It's decent and awesome?!  :metal

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9197 on: March 29, 2019, 08:35:31 AM »

Uh, then he wasn't the director. At best he was the Producer, but more likely the Executive Producer.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9198 on: March 29, 2019, 09:09:30 AM »

Uh, then he wasn't the director. At best he was the Producer, but more likely the Executive Producer.
No, he was still the director on the project.  But the filming of those scenes would have been done by a second unit director, or assistant director.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9199 on: March 29, 2019, 10:04:30 AM »
A second unit or assistant director implies the director was off directing other things and they split the directing duties. Can we settle on Creative Director?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #9200 on: March 29, 2019, 11:00:37 AM »
This may not be controversial, but despite all the accolades Rudess and Mangini get for their advanced prowess, John Petrucci is the most talented member of the band and it’s not close.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #9201 on: March 29, 2019, 11:05:37 AM »
This may not be controversial, but despite all the accolades Rudess and Mangini get for their advanced prowess, John Petrucci is the most talented member of the band and it’s not close.
I am not sure that this is such a controversial opinion, yeah. Pretty sure everyone agrees that JP is one of the greatest guitar players of all time, and when you consider his writing credits on Images alone (which is one of the best metal albums of all time), you naturally come to this conclusion. Amazing composer, player and not a half bad lyricist as well. He just makes it look so easy.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #9202 on: March 29, 2019, 11:12:31 AM »
Yeah I was just watching some guitar cover vids of his songs, and man they are so incredibly intricate and SO MANY parts and different fingerings and techniques and gggzrraargggh  :omg:

Offline Volante99

« Reply #9203 on: March 29, 2019, 11:34:19 AM »

Yeah, as a guitarist I may be biased but JP really is some kind of inhuman level savant.

I consider myself a competent player but it could still take me months to learn a DT album and I’d still need to work at it to get it completely right. Compare this to JP who will write and record all of these songs in a matter of weeks. That’s just a skill level 99.999% of guitarists will never achieve.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #9204 on: March 29, 2019, 11:58:13 AM »

:lol

It's decent and awesome?!  :metal

That and the amazing one armed drum fill Mangini does on the live DVD