Will you?

Yes
199 (94.8%)
No
3 (1.4%)
Can't think about it right now
8 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 203

Author Topic: Will you still listen to "new" Dream Theater now?  (Read 18269 times)

Offline Pierced Brosnan

Re: Will you still listen to "new" Dream Theater now?
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2010, 05:13:09 AM »
Without a doubt, I don't see who would say no to this question- why wouldn't someone at least want to check out the next album if they're a DT fan.

While the departure is saddening and shocking, I can definately see them still creating a brilliant album, change is good, it brings inspiration. I think it'd be awesome if there's less boundaries on what can and can't go onto a DT album, something like Jordans' improvisation would be great, a solo piano piece, instrumental sections and song arrangements that are a bit more unconventional from what we've had on the past few albums, an album that flows and takes the listener on an experience and journey would be excellent, even though i've been more than satisfied with all of their releases.

Edit: more Myung riffs too please! And more JLB involvement, hopefully both will write more lyrics for the next album too. It'd be cool if JR did some harmony vocals too, but he may stray away from that as for some reason I can't imagine him doing backup vox live haha, though he'd be more than capable of doing so.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 05:25:08 AM by Pierced Brosnan »
The band describing John Myung:
JLB: "He's deep. He's deep in thought"
JP: "We have a deep understanding musically"
JR: "John Myung is a very deep kind of person"
MP: "John Myung is an enigma... N he's deep as fuck yo'"

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2010, 05:13:19 AM »
5 amazing guys - 1 amazing guy + unknown guy = At least 4 amazing guys.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2010, 05:16:58 AM »
^^nevermind^^
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2010, 12:10:40 PM »
I voted yes.  I've been a DT fan for 18 years and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon.  I'm still brokenhearted that MP is gone, but JP is my main man and he's not going anywhere.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2010, 01:26:19 PM »
Dream Theater has been in my life since day one, my dad listened to Images and Words when taking me hom from the hospital, I have seen them live twice, PN09 and IM+DT tour, and they have been my absolute favorite band for four years now. While, I am really really really at a loss for words how much it hurts to no longer have Mike Portnoy, I will always love Dream Theater, and, I am very excited to hear their next album. :)
gone

Offline OneLastTime

« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2010, 02:04:43 PM »
I'm definetly gonna listen to the "new" DT. I can't wait to see who they will get, what they will put out. I think MP leaving will be healthy for the band in progressing into new styles. While I do love heavy metal, MP has been pushing the band IMO too much in the metal direction(i.e Nightmare 2 Remeber roars/Dark Eternal Night/etc). Hopefully they will go into the early proggy-stuff a la I&W/Scenes
Will not change this until either:
1. NY Jets win the SuperBowl
2. NJ Devils win the Stanley Cup
or
3. MP comes back to DT

Started September 10, 2010

Offline TL

« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2010, 04:31:23 PM »
With the combination of JP's statements and JR's improvisations, I'm extremely excited about the future of DT.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2010, 04:53:29 PM »
OFC!! The rest of the guys are awesome ey?! There are songs without mike like, Vacant, Hourglass, mmmm, State of grace! and all the "An evening with JP and JR" stuff, and I think they'll find a good drummer! They'll be very picky with their next drummer.

Offline Algo Fonix

• The Generic Dr. Pepper
  • DT.net Member
  • Pretty tired
« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2010, 05:04:21 PM »
We've still got 4 phenomenal artists who are gonna give it their all, so I wouldn't dare miss it.  I voted yes.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2010, 06:42:36 PM »
OFC!! The rest of the guys are awesome ey?! There are songs without mike like, Vacant
I was thinking about this yesterday actually, when listening through TOT and Vacant came on. One of my favourite tracks on TOT and that was just Rudess and Myung, and Wither is my favourite on BCSL and that was just JP. Musically I think things are quite exciting now.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Billybillz

• Sentimentality
  • It's just a change of seasons..
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2010, 07:08:08 PM »
Of course I will listen, If i like it I will enjoy it. If it is not to my liking then i'm afraid that will probably be the end of DT as I know it. I am hoping that they now take the musical direction that I hope they do... ie. Backwards!!!!

The spirit carries on... Its just another change of seasons.. Isnt it?

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #81 on: September 10, 2010, 07:20:33 PM »
Absolutely yes. I love all the guys, but for me the ones who really make the band these days are JLB and JP.
To me, MP has nothing more to prove on the drums. For that matter, none of them have anything more to prove regarding their musical prowess; at this point it all comes down to making a cool song, and I think the main riff and progression writer is JP. I'm sure JR gives them tons of ideas, but I doubt the drummer comes up with very many riffs.
So yeah, I'm feeling very positive about new material. Hopefully they lose some of their recent heaviness.
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2010, 07:29:32 PM »
This news has actually brought some of my interest back to DT. They definitely needed a change, and with the likes of JP and JR uninhibited, I can only see some great stuff coming out of DT in the future. I fully respect Mike, but I personally wasn't a fan of the direction DT was going in. Bring on DT11  :metal
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2010, 03:45:38 AM »
OFC!! The rest of the guys are awesome ey?! There are songs without mike like, Vacant
I was thinking about this yesterday actually, when listening through TOT and Vacant came on. One of my favourite tracks on TOT and that was just Rudess and Myung, and Wither is my favourite on BCSL and that was just JP. Musically I think things are quite exciting now.
My daughter and I were discussing this very thing last night.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2010, 06:32:56 AM »
You Bet you sweet ass I will.  Fuck yes

:metal

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2010, 09:20:46 AM »
With JP, JR, JM and JLB - yes of course I will still listen.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2010, 09:52:20 AM »
I'd say that the next album will either be their best in years or their worst, no middle ground.

And yes, incredibly exited :biggrin:
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2010, 09:54:42 AM »
It still doesn't feel like DT for whatever reason. It feels more like a super awesome side-project. Naturally I would listen to it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2010, 11:57:01 AM »
I guess we can safely call this one a landslide.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline LadyEars

« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2010, 05:44:28 PM »
I sincerely want to apologize to everyone, especially DT and MP, for my negativity yesterday. The more this sinks in, the more solid my devotion is to my favorite band in the world, even though they are now without my favorite drummer in the world.

In addition to being top-notch musicians, these guys are truly class acts and, while it doesn't surprise me to see them handling this matter with such dignity and grace, it never ceases to amaze how incredibly NICE and DECENT they are as human beings. That is such a huge part of why I (and so many others, I'm sure) love DREAM THEATER.

I saw JP's posts on his forum and was truly moved and inspired by his dedication to the band and to his fans. That, more than anything, has brought me around and bitch slapped me out of my depressed stupor and has given me hope and enthusiasm for the band's future endeavors. I am behind them all the way and will continue to support them by buying records and going to shows. Absolutely!!!

So again, my apologies to ALL for anything I said yesterday that was hurtful or just otherwise uninspiring. It was a knee jerk reaction.
Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create.

Offline cygnusaz

« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2010, 06:10:40 PM »
I will absolutely still listen to Dream Theater. While they lost my favorite member I will still follow the band.
I have little doubt they will put out a good album with a new drummer. I believe the problem will lie with there live performances. Its rare that the drummer is the charisma is the band, but that is the case with Mike. Someone will have to step it up on stage live.

You nailed it. Let's face it, Labrie is no Bruce Dickinson, no Halford, hell even Geoff Tate these days is more interesting.

Myung?  :rollin

Rudess has been coming out of his shell, with the whole Keytar thing, but he's a pretty laid back dude.

Petrucci smiles, gets into it, and does show life occaisionally.

But Portnoy was the showman. Always getting the crowd going, standing up, etc... He always brought a smile to my face.

I will miss Mike in the live shows more than on the studio album.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2010, 06:26:07 PM »
Portnoy wasn't my favorite drummer, but he's in my top 5. But Petrucci is my favorite guitar player. I will certainly keep listening to them. It's not like we haven't heard each of them play with other musicians.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline AtmosphericV

• wilderness
« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2010, 06:43:03 PM »
Of course I will listen to DT, JP is really the most creating of them and he IS prett much the sound of Dream Theater. JR has a very big role in the band as well, and I see him as very important to the band in every way. JLB is irreplaceable, no doubt about it. He is the voice.

Personally i'd think that if it was JLB who left it would have been a bigger issue, for the music itself. I know DT is very rythm-based and MP had a lot to say when they were writing, but JP and JR was the guys who really laid down the melodies and crafted the arrangements.

If it was JP who quit, DT should have quit..there is no question about that.

DT is still DT, but MP was a biiig part of it. I'm still sad about him quitting..I don't think he is coming back.
Everyone knows its Butters!

Offline Stoneyman

« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2010, 06:54:32 PM »
I will certainly buy the new stuff without MP.  Much of what we hear is Petrucci to begin with and MP added the backbone and flavor.

However, I still think MP will realize a few months from now that he messed up and will come to his senses.  Being the Mercenary drummer might sound cool for a while, but having no feeling of home (musically) will get to him.  Being in charge of his own side projects is going to be vastly different than being in charge of DT.  It will KILL MP to not be a part of the next DT cd.  Yea, his side projects are quirky and cute, but it wont be anything like DT.

MP and the guys are cool now but as soon as they get a new guy and a new cd/direction I think things will change and become awkward for them.  Its like when you "take time off" from your girlfriend.  But as soon as she is banging someone else, you really dont want much to do with her anymore.

If MP was smart he would stay with A7X long enough to cash in on their popularity wave too.  I mean a few writing credits on the next platinum album could help his pocket book considerably LOL.

I think MP will wake up around the new year and make amends.  Hopefully DT wont have the new guy by then.  If he doesnt come back before they get started, then I dont expect him to be back any time soon.

First post.