Author Topic: The "What Are You Currently Reading?" Thread  (Read 267601 times)

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
Re: The "What Are You Currently Reading?" Thread
« Reply #1715 on: March 23, 2012, 11:22:05 AM »
Going through my every two years or so urge to read Star Wars extended universe novels.

The fact that every time this happens, I find two or three of the books I own I haven't actually READ yet suggests that perhaps I should stop doing this, though.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1716 on: March 23, 2012, 06:15:29 PM »
Going through my every two years or so urge to read Star Wars extended universe novels.

The fact that every time this happens, I find two or three of the books I own I haven't actually READ yet suggests that perhaps I should stop doing this, though.  :lol

Funny timing, since I was cleaning the attic a bit last week and found like 8 of the x-wing Rogue Squadron books that I have never even touched. I made it through the first two, but that was about it.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1717 on: March 23, 2012, 06:19:06 PM »
Just picked up The End of Faith from a friend. Sam Harris is like 0/a lot so let's see how this goes.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1718 on: March 23, 2012, 06:19:42 PM »
Just picked up The End of Faith from a friend. Sam Harris is like 0/a lot so let's see how this goes.
I actually was just about to pick it up from the library, too. Race ya.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1719 on: March 23, 2012, 06:21:59 PM »
I'd say "You're on," but I read pretty slowly.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1720 on: March 23, 2012, 06:22:43 PM »
Give it a month, maybe?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1721 on: March 23, 2012, 06:24:33 PM »
Nah, quicker than that. Like, depending on whether I like it or not, anywhere from a few days to 2 or 3 weeks. Like I said, Sam Harris has a shitty track record.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1722 on: March 23, 2012, 06:44:09 PM »
I do have to give the dude credit though. He was 37 years old at the time of its publishing, and Harris only had a BA in philosophy at the time. He was a nobody when he wrote it, and people weren't saying that shit out loud. That took balls.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1723 on: March 23, 2012, 06:45:56 PM »
I skimmed the book earlier this year, and I don't think this is really a book about philosophy, from what I remember. He doesn't really offer proofs for athiesm or disproofs for theism. It's more about looking at the consequences of religion (e.g. violence).

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1724 on: March 23, 2012, 06:56:39 PM »
I know. I was just saying that it took massive balls to write the book considering:

1. No one knew who he was.
2. He had no academic experience. He didn't even have his PhD at the time of writing and publishing this.
3. No one wrote the way he did.

It was easier for guys like Dawkins, Dennet, and Hitchens to write the way they did. Two of them had PhDs, all of them were professors at some point and notable writers, and all of them were relatively well known by the time they wrote their anti-religious books.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1725 on: March 23, 2012, 10:42:55 PM »
Okay so I couldn't find The End of Faith in the library. Maybe it was just returned or moved somewhere else or something. But I did find The Kalam Cosmological Argument by WLC. The book's fairly short (~150 pages) but damn it is DENSE.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1726 on: March 23, 2012, 10:51:44 PM »
lol, Pride and Prejudice can suck my ass. I'm only 90 pages into Frankenstein and already, more stuff has happened in those 90 pages than in the entirety of Pride and Prejudice. So much better and more interesting. I had to slog through P&P page by page but Frankenstein is a real page-turner. I actually give a fuck about the characters and what's going on. :lol
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #1727 on: March 24, 2012, 04:49:11 AM »
lol, Pride and Prejudice can suck my ass. I'm only 90 pages into Frankenstein and already, more stuff has happened in those 90 pages than in the entirety of Pride and Prejudice. So much better and more interesting. I had to slog through P&P page by page but Frankenstein is a real page-turner. I actually give a fuck about the characters and what's going on. :lol

Frankenstein is actually one of my favourite books. It's just awesome.

Offline Omega

« Reply #1728 on: March 25, 2012, 07:31:51 PM »
WLC is such an ass hat, I couldn't read a page of what he has to say without wanting to off myself. I still haven't watched the complete Hitchens and Harris debates because he's such a douche.

I guess I just don't get this. He's the most diplomatic and patient man I know of.
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1729 on: March 25, 2012, 07:37:57 PM »
As my girlfriend intends to take me to see the movie, I'm currently 7 chapters into The Hunger Games.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1730 on: March 26, 2012, 01:01:30 AM »
WLC is such an ass hat, I couldn't read a page of what he has to say without wanting to off myself. I still haven't watched the complete Hitchens and Harris debates because he's such a douche.

I guess I just don't get this. He's the most diplomatic and patient man I know of.
Seriously.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1731 on: March 26, 2012, 01:02:43 PM »

Meh. I watched a debate between Dsouza and Hitchens and found it infinitely more interesting. I mean, the arguments on both sides could be seen from light years away, but the question and answer portions are where shit gets cool.

Offline Omega

« Reply #1732 on: March 26, 2012, 01:05:57 PM »
Why don't you watch the Hitchens v Craig debate...that's a bag of fun...
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1733 on: March 27, 2012, 02:42:33 PM »
Finally reading the graphic novel of V for Vendetta by Alan Moore

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1734 on: March 27, 2012, 02:47:52 PM »

I've watched most of it. Craig is an ass hat.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1735 on: March 27, 2012, 03:02:55 PM »
Yeah, Frankenstein was all sorts of badass. Loved it.

Ivanhoe is up next. Professor scared me a little; he said that the language is antiquated and it starts off slow. Let's see how this goes.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1736 on: March 27, 2012, 03:18:52 PM »
About 60 pages in to The End of Faith and Harris is going on a long neuroscience rant...ew.

Offline Omega

« Reply #1737 on: March 27, 2012, 03:25:02 PM »

I've watched most of it. Craig is an ass hat.

Ha. Why? Does he make too much sense? Does he make Hitchens look like bad?

I must admit, though, the whole debate is completely unfair. On one hand you have a loudmouthed, polemical journalist and on the other a major analytic philosopher.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1738 on: March 27, 2012, 03:28:29 PM »
Major analytic philosopher? He didn't say anything that my friend (hardcore baptist) didn't learn in her sunday school's apologetics class.

I don't have hw, I might actually watch it. Just to appease you. :P

Offline Omega

« Reply #1739 on: March 27, 2012, 03:38:30 PM »
Major analytic philosopher? He didn't say anything that my friend (hardcore baptist) didn't learn in her sunday school's apologetics class.

I don't have hw, I might actually watch it. Just to appease you. :P

Good. I'll try to keep this as unbiased as possible, but keep an eye out on how Hitchens dodges Craig's arguments completely and instead launches an empty, meaningless, and bitter series of diatribes against the supposed evils of religion, which don't amount to arguments and are rather unwarranted personal opinions. Also, during the "cross-examination" when they have chance to ask each other questions, notice how at one point, Hitchens begins to shake and sweat in anxiety and even to pretends that his microphone is not working in an attempt to avoid answering Craig's questions.

And if you have time, do watch Craig v. Harris as well. Another instance in which a New Atheist completely dodges Craig's arguments and instead, too, launches a series of non-sequitors and emotional grievances to the evils of religion.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1740 on: March 27, 2012, 03:41:37 PM »
Ok dude. I'm on Craig's opening argument. My main problems with dudes like Craig is that they argue for a Deistic God and then somehow skip a few steps and then poof...Judeo Christian!

And I've seen Harris's debate with Craig. That was fruitless on both ends. I agreed more with Craig than I did with Harris on that one.

Offline Omega

« Reply #1741 on: March 27, 2012, 03:44:08 PM »
Well, just keep watching and inform me of your idea of Hitchens' and Craig's performance.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1742 on: March 27, 2012, 05:38:22 PM »
Well, I'm pretty much done...

Offline Omega

« Reply #1743 on: March 27, 2012, 05:49:06 PM »
Thoughts?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1744 on: March 27, 2012, 05:51:14 PM »
Meh. Craig went in their with stale arguments and continued to press Hitchens for not answering his 5 arguments and not giving evidence for the existence of a God. As it turns out, Hitchens admits that proving the non existence of God is impossible and stupid to attempt and he did in fact answer all of Craig's arguments.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1745 on: March 27, 2012, 05:53:49 PM »
I will admit Hitchens was long winded for most of his answers. That was more a product of espousing ideology than being scared of Craig's questions.

Offline Omega

« Reply #1746 on: March 27, 2012, 06:03:06 PM »
A review of the Craig v. Hitchens Debate, by an atheistic website, no less.

https://commonsenseatheism.com/?p=1230

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1747 on: March 27, 2012, 06:09:30 PM »
The fact that he is an atheist means nothing. I know Christians that think what Craig does is suckish because he is trying to use logic to prove God when it should be a matter of faith. Kierkegaard himself, who is a much more prolific philosopher, would think Craig is a dumbass much the same way an atheist who isn't very militant would believe Hitchens was overstepping his atheism.

Offline Omega

« Reply #1748 on: March 27, 2012, 06:12:31 PM »
because he is trying to use logic to prove God when it should be a matter of faith.

Uh...  :yeahright

I think you should concern yourself with the truth more, rather than who is presenting it.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1749 on: March 27, 2012, 06:14:31 PM »
What?

I was just giving a reason as to why it isn't particularly special that an atheist thought Craig wiped the floor with Hitchens.