Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 513150 times)

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #1925 on: October 04, 2010, 06:02:51 PM »
It's good you were able to set the record strait. Us getting confused for 5/8 is pretty bad. :lol
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1926 on: October 04, 2010, 06:03:11 PM »
Jeez.  Honestly, that story doesn't make Portnoy or Neal sound good.  Then again, Neal, who has always struck me as nothing other than a classy gentleman, was probably just sticking up for his pal, but for Portnoy to get that worked up that quickly just because of a freaking internet forum?  Good God. :lol :lol

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1927 on: October 04, 2010, 06:05:48 PM »
Jeez.  Honestly, that story doesn't make Portnoy or Neal sound good.  Then again, Neal, who has always struck me as nothing other than a classy gentleman, was probably just sticking up for his pal, but for Portnoy to get that worked up that quickly just because of a freaking internet forum?  Good God. :lol :lol
In fairness, if he got this place confused with 5/8, who can blame him?

I've never been particularly impressed when I've had a gander, round there, and DT's not even my band. Whereas the only thing that unites most of the members is their disillusionment with DT's career - that's kind of what it was born out of.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1928 on: October 04, 2010, 06:06:29 PM »
I can understand him showing his frustration. If I read a whole bunch of shit about me online or anywhere and then the guy who I thought runs the place introduced himself to me I'd be upset.
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1929 on: October 04, 2010, 06:07:21 PM »
Then again, Neal, who has always struck me as nothing other than a classy gentleman, was probably just sticking up for his pal

Oh, absolutely, which is why I can laugh about it in retrospect.  

As far as Mike getting us confused with 5/8 and getting so worked up about it, you have to understand that he really has not idea of this history of this forum and has no idea what DT.net was like.  Again, he was fed a lot of misinformation that was very inflammatory from people close to him (NOT Wey).  Putting the context of that information together with how people on 5/8 actually do talk about him, and knowing his personality, his reaction is perfectly understandable.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1930 on: October 04, 2010, 06:09:42 PM »
Then again, Neal, who has always struck me as nothing other than a classy gentleman, was probably just sticking up for his pal

Oh, absolutely, which is why I can laugh about it in retrospect.  

As far as Mike getting us confused with 5/8 and getting so worked up about it, you have to understand that he really has not idea of this history of this forum and has no idea what DT.net was like.  Again, he was fed a lot of misinformation that was very inflammatory from people close to him (NOT Wey).  Putting the context of that information together with how people on 5/8 actually do talk about him, and knowing his personality, his reaction is perfectly understandable.
I just kind of hope he's worked it out now.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1931 on: October 04, 2010, 06:11:17 PM »
Probably not completely, because we didn't have much time to talk.  But I think he got the general gist of it, and with that in mind, I'm sure if I ever get a chance to talk to him again, I can probably straighten it out.  But he seemed really receptive to what I was saying and seemed to understand once I clarified.

Man, I haven't really thought about that show much for a while now, but now that I'm thinking back through some of it, it was such a good time.  My interactions with Colin and Pete were hilarious.  I wish somebody would have had video rolling.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1932 on: October 04, 2010, 06:14:32 PM »
Ok, since I have read the last two pages and have read 5/8 about a dozen times, can someone tell me what it is?

Also, Bosk, how do you know Mikes doesn't read this board? Did he tell you that? Just curious.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1933 on: October 04, 2010, 06:17:24 PM »
I guess I can see that side of it, bosk.  Still seems like a major overreaction, but that's Portnoy for ya. :P

tick, 5/8 is the other half of the original dt.net.  When dt.net was shut down, the new board eventually splintered into two sites: this one, and 5/8.  5/8 is very harsh towards DT and Portnoy more often than not, but a lot of it is in jest, although I can totally see why many would think it is over the top.  Most of the people doing the criticizing are or were pretty big fans at one point or another. 

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1934 on: October 04, 2010, 06:18:25 PM »
Wait, so what you're saying is that Mike is more aware of 5/8's existence than DTF's?  Like, he doesn't type "dream theater forums" into google?  I mean, DTF.com doesn't even redirect to 5/8 anymore, last I checked.  Wow, sucks for us.  At least the current leader of the band, JP, knows about us!  :laugh:

EDIT: I joined the forum a few months before the split.  Imagine how confusing the split was for me  :lol

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1935 on: October 04, 2010, 06:22:02 PM »
Ok, since I have read the last two pages and have read 5/8 about a dozen times, can someone tell me what it is?

Remember yesterday when Zerogravity posted the beat-into the ground "9/11 CHANGED EVERYTHING" joke in the thread about drunnk diving?

5/8 is like that. In every thread. All the time.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1936 on: October 04, 2010, 06:25:20 PM »
The irony is that 5/8 was named after a picture of Jordan Rudess that had the caption:

I'd hit it in 5/8.

:lol :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1937 on: October 04, 2010, 06:26:06 PM »

Also, Bosk, how do you know Mikes doesn't read this board? Did he tell you that? Just curious.

The answer to #2 really only makes sense in the context of the answer to #1, so...

The official DT forum was originally at DT.net.  Because Mike had his own forum, he didn't really follow what happened at DT.net.  Toward the end of that forum's existence, it had basically split into 2 factions.  People who generally were DT fans posted mostly on the DT-side while people who generally didn't like DT anymore and didn't care about the band posted more on the GD side (picture a forum that was organized very similarly to this one).  There were definitely people who did both, but I'm just giving the simplified version.  In a nutshell, there was some anti-DT sentiment, more on the GD side than anything else, and the forum admin had become withdrawn and wasn't running the site at all.  A couple of people close to Mike gave him a lot of misinformation and a completely distorted view of how "anti-DT" and how completely "lawless" the forum had become.  Mike told Itchy, the forum admin, to take control and fix it or to pull the plug.  Rather than roll up his sleeves and address the issues, Itchy shut the forum down.  A new forum was set up at DTF.com by some former forum members, and we all migrated there.  The anti-DT faction eventually took control, pulled the plug yet again, and converted DTF.com to what is now fiveeightforums.  Again, I'm overgeneralizing, so anyone who is a 5/8 regular, please don't get in a huff.  But basically, there is a huge anti-DT sentiment there, the band is regularly bashed, and it has a reputation for having extremely loose rules.  Which is fine if that's the kind of forum you are looking for.  But in terms of being a DT forum, it is anything but, and does not in any way reflect positively on DT.  So, I set up this forum and the DT fans migrated here.  

Mike doesn't really know that entire history.  What he told me indicated he is really only aware that DT.net went downhill, and eventually became 5/8.  He wasn't really aware that there was a huge pro-DT faction (I hate using that term, but for lack of a better word, it works) that had continued and set up shop here (which is ironic, since we are the largest online DT community).  

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1938 on: October 04, 2010, 06:27:36 PM »
:lol  It was actually kind of funny.  I was passing through the autograph line and had already spoken with Neal.  Then I got to Mike and was introduced to Mike by a mutual friend, and he started completely going off.  It soon became apparent that he had us confused with 5/8.  We talked for a few minutes, and I made a comment along the lines of "There are always idiots out there on the Internet, but the vast majority of people out there understand that you love your fans and are pretty much the hardest working man in rock and roll for your fans."  Neal was talking to someone else, and I think just picked up on the fact that Mike was upset and only heard just a couple of bits and pieces, and right after I said what I said, Neal whips around, jabs his finger at me, and is like "You bet he is the hardest working man in rock and roll for his fans, and don't you forget it!"  I think I just stood there for a second with my jaw hanging open thinking, "Whoa!  Ease back, Neal.  I already escaped Colin's wrath for sneaking backstage through the band entrance before the show.  If he thinks I'm starting a fight with you, he's likely to run up and snap me in half before asking any questions."  :lol

hahahaha  :rollin

i think there should be a JP vs NM battle  :hefdaddy

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1939 on: October 04, 2010, 06:29:54 PM »

Remember yesterday when Zerogravity posted the beat-into the ground "9/11 CHANGED EVERYTHING" joke in the thread about drunnk diving?

5/8 is like that. In every thread. All the time.

To be honest the people over there have mastered that craft so well that it's actually pretty funny most of the time. You've just gotta get over the shock/in your face factor first.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1940 on: October 04, 2010, 06:33:18 PM »
Hey bosk, how long was 5/8 around before you launched DTF.org? How long was DTF.com around? I'm just curious, because I came straight from DT.net and totally missed out on DTF.com and the split.

To be honest the people over there have mastered that craft so well that it's actually pretty funny most of the time. You've just gotta get over the shock/in your face factor first.

I'll admit the first couple metaphorical gifs in the Portnoy thread were genius but it soon turned into people taking things too far and people trying too hard be look funny, as usual.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 06:38:55 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1941 on: October 04, 2010, 06:41:28 PM »
I meant in other threads. That MP thread just got out of control.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1942 on: October 04, 2010, 06:42:53 PM »

The answer to #2 really only makes sense in the context of the answer to #1, so...

The official DT forum was originally at DT.net.  Because Mike had his own forum, he didn't really follow what happened at DT.net.  Toward the end of that forum's existence, it had basically split into 2 factions.  People who generally were DT fans posted mostly on the DT-side while people who generally didn't like DT anymore and didn't care about the band posted more on the GD side (picture a forum that was organized very similarly to this one).  There were definitely people who did both, but I'm just giving the simplified version.  In a nutshell, there was some anti-DT sentiment, more on the GD side than anything else, and the forum admin had become withdrawn and wasn't running the site at all.  A couple of people close to Mike gave him a lot of misinformation and a completely distorted view of how "anti-DT" and how completely "lawless" the forum had become.  Mike told Itchy, the forum admin, to take control and fix it or to pull the plug.  Rather than roll up his sleeves and address the issues, Itchy shut the forum down.  A new forum was set up at DTF.com by some former forum members, and we all migrated there.  The anti-DT faction eventually took control, pulled the plug yet again, and converted DTF.com to what is now fiveeightforums.  Again, I'm overgeneralizing, so anyone who is a 5/8 regular, please don't get in a huff.  But basically, there is a huge anti-DT sentiment there, the band is regularly bashed, and it has a reputation for having extremely loose rules.  Which is fine if that's the kind of forum you are looking for.  But in terms of being a DT forum, it is anything but, and does not in any way reflect positively on DT.  So, I set up this forum and the DT fans migrated here.  

Mike doesn't really know that entire history.  What he told me indicated he is really only aware that DT.net went downhill, and eventually became 5/8.  He wasn't really aware that there was a huge pro-DT faction (I hate using that term, but for lack of a better word, it works) that had continued and set up shop here (which is ironic, since we are the largest online DT community).  
That you for that explanation.
I was a member of the DT site forum but I rarely posted. I had a couple hundred posts at best, but I remember when it ended. I didn't find this place till some time later.
The comparison between here and 5/5 is very similar to the two rival rush fan boards. Counterparts is in my opinion the anything goes, classless troll board while The Rush Forum upholds a much higher standard for whats acceptable. Obviously, you know where my loyalty lies.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1943 on: October 04, 2010, 06:46:04 PM »
Hey bosk, how long was 5/8 around before you launched DTF.org? How long was DTF.com around? I'm just curious, because I came straight from DT.net and totally missed out on DTF.com and the split.

DTF.com was around for about a month or two.  I modded there.  One of the admins put me in charge as "head moderator," which I think contributed to fragmenting the admin staff (which I had no idea was going to happen, or I wouldn't have accepted in the first place).  The night Thal pulled the plug and converted the place into 5/8, me, Shawn, and my pet wookie got together and had this place set up before most people woke up the next morning.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1944 on: October 04, 2010, 06:53:25 PM »
And then you made Nick a mod. Things have been going downhill ever since....

Dammit Nick

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1945 on: October 04, 2010, 07:17:07 PM »

DTF.com was around for about a month or two.  I modded there.  One of the admins put me in charge as "head moderator," which I think contributed to fragmenting the admin staff (which I had no idea was going to happen, or I wouldn't have accepted in the first place).  The night Thal pulled the plug and converted the place into 5/8, me, Shawn, and my pet wookie got together and had this place set up before most people woke up the next morning.

Don't say that. I don't want to think about what life would be like if I could actually get stuff done in the office.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1946 on: October 04, 2010, 07:18:55 PM »
:lol  No, what I mean is, I had no intention of fragmenting the admin team.  Despite the fact that I didn't like the anti-DT direction and wasn't going to continue modding if that was the forum's direction, I was not trying to create division.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #1947 on: October 04, 2010, 07:21:33 PM »
Don't mean to take this off-topic, but nice avatar bosky  :tup
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1948 on: October 04, 2010, 07:23:16 PM »
You say that like it's been on topic.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1949 on: October 04, 2010, 07:23:26 PM »
:tup

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1950 on: October 04, 2010, 07:24:05 PM »
Huh. I have no idea why you being a "head moderator" would create division, but w/e. Seems to me like things have worked out for the best in the long run.

But anyway, by the off-chance that TA does become something more "regular" as a result of this, I'm totally expecting you to do a subforum.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #1951 on: October 04, 2010, 07:25:37 PM »
You say that like it's been on topic.
Touche.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1952 on: October 04, 2010, 07:30:47 PM »
Huh. I have no idea why you being a "head moderator" would create division, but w/e.  

Because of the way it happened.  My position was, "The DT/MP bashing is getting out of hand.  I don't want to tell you guys how to run your own forum, but if that's what this place is going to be, I think I'm going to have to step down.  I don't want to have my name associated with a 'dreamtheaterforums' unless that place actually reflects positively on the band or, at the very least, is a place the band is not ashamed to have named after them."  One of the admins was like, "I totally agree, and you are now in charge of making it so."  The others were like, " :omg:  Um, no!"  But, yeah, I think it did work out best in the long run.  The people who are regulars at 5/8 got exactly the kind of forum they wanted, and the people who wanted a DT forum got what they wanted, so I think everyone is relatively happy.

But anyway, by the off-chance that TA does become something more "regular" as a result of this, I'm totally expecting you to do a subforum.

If I am running this place if/when that happens, we will definitely have one (unless it ends up not getting enough traffice to justify it).

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1953 on: October 04, 2010, 07:43:13 PM »

If I am running this place if/when that happens, we will definitely have one (unless it ends up not getting enough traffice to justify it).

I think I'd prefer a "side projects" subforum instead of one for just TA.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1954 on: October 04, 2010, 07:49:15 PM »
I feel like neither would get much traffic.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1955 on: October 04, 2010, 07:49:49 PM »
I think it's hard to say how much interest there'd be in Transatlantic if they were a normal project.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1956 on: October 04, 2010, 07:50:20 PM »
I just meant that if another subforum were to be made I'd prefer it to be a general side projects one.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1957 on: October 04, 2010, 07:55:02 PM »
There'd probably be more traffic in a Porcupine Tree subforum than a TA one. I know it's not a side project but in terms of "other" bands on this forum...

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1958 on: October 04, 2010, 07:56:07 PM »
That's probably true. :lol

Offline fllnsprrw

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1959 on: October 04, 2010, 08:52:10 PM »
just browsed 5/8 forum for the first time. them peeps got some freaky ass avatars over there.
1. Images & Words/ 2. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence/ 3. Scenes From a Memory