Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 642057 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #4690 on: June 29, 2016, 01:00:39 PM »
It has already been confirmed that there will be seven episodes next season. As of now, season eight will have six episodes, but that could change. That's what the Dan and Dave said.

They should just buck up....shoot 14 episodes next season instead of 10......and have season 7 be the end.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4691 on: June 29, 2016, 01:01:32 PM »
Agreed.  These shortened seasons suck.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4692 on: June 29, 2016, 01:04:59 PM »
I'm perfectly fine with their plans. They have delivered the best television that I have ever watched. I definitely trust their judgement here. 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4693 on: June 29, 2016, 01:05:43 PM »
I am sure Dan and Dave would rather finish it in 7 seasons. I know they're anxious to work on other projects.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4694 on: June 29, 2016, 01:08:11 PM »
Very sad to read that Miguel is not back but nice to have Jeremy Podeswa and Alan Taylor back. I have no doubt that this should be still be amazing set of episodes but there are some huge shoes to fill next season with the way this season ended.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #4695 on: June 29, 2016, 01:08:20 PM »
For some reason, I always thought there would be seven seasons. Was eight seasons always the plan, or did that change recently?
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4696 on: June 29, 2016, 01:12:22 PM »
For some reason, I always thought there would be seven seasons. Was eight seasons always the plan, or did that change recently?

I think it was changed last year, or at least talked about splitting the last season in 2 and confirmed this year.  I could be wrong.  7 seasons was talked about for a long time by the show runners.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4697 on: June 29, 2016, 01:15:30 PM »

I think it was changed last year, or at least talked about splitting the last season in 2 and confirmed this year.  I could be wrong.  7 seasons was talked about for a long time by the show runners.

The article I read said they always envisioned telling the story in 73-75 hours. We are at 60 hours now....so....if they always wanted 7 seasons we should have been getting 11 episodes per season rather than the 10.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4698 on: June 29, 2016, 01:19:11 PM »
I think they felt like it couldn't be done in 70 episodes so they decided to make two shortened seasons.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4699 on: June 29, 2016, 02:08:19 PM »
I'm also fine with the current plans.

Since the day season 4 ended I have always wanted 8 seasons. The s04 finale is such a perfect half-way point for the series. That's a silly reason, but that's how I've seen it since then lol.

Also, there's no way they can manage shooting 14 episodes in one year to finish it out with season 7. They say they barely have time to shoot 10, which would mean it would be delayed and it wouldn't finish by the time season 8 would have ended either way.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #4700 on: June 29, 2016, 02:50:37 PM »
The reason for doing a smaller number of episodes per season is (at least based on their previous interviews) due to the time it takes to produce the episodes. If they want 14 episodes to end the show, they can't make 14 episodes for season 7 because they barely had enough time to shoot 10 episodes in a year.

There is also a conflict between HBO wanting to extend the life of the show since it is so successful vs. the showrunners wanting to end it quickly (which I think to be honest is partly due to burn-out on their part, rather than purely creative reasons). And of course both sides face the reality of not being able to keep actors around forever.

A while ago the showrunners said they wanted seven seasons while HBO talked about 8. I guessed that we might get a 7A and 7B compromise, which is essentially what a short season 7 and short season 8 amounts to. Despite the showrunners insistence I wouldn't be surprised to see season 8 made longer or spread across 2 years though.

In any case I just hope it is able to do it justice. Personally I'd be a bit more concerned about an overly short run to the end than a longer one - I think the ship has sailed in terms of the show being short enough, but it could still end up too short.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4701 on: June 29, 2016, 03:02:50 PM »
They should film three bottle episodes to round it up to 10, we'd all watch Sam working stuff out in the library or Olenna owning everyone she talks to  ;D

Also, if HBO wants to milk the cow, they could do anthology series moving forward. Have each year a different story told, like Robert's Rebellion, and wrap it up in one season and then the year after tell a different story.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4702 on: June 29, 2016, 03:07:21 PM »
I have no problems if 73 was the number of episodes the creators needed to tell the story the best way possible, and I am glad they are still sticking to that because you know HBO would love more.  I just personally don't like the shortened seasons for selfish reasons.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4703 on: June 29, 2016, 03:12:48 PM »
I have a problem with it cause I already see a lot of half assing and skipping over character development and interesting interactions which made the show special in the first place.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4704 on: June 29, 2016, 07:32:59 PM »
rip stoneheart   :'(

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4705 on: June 29, 2016, 09:09:01 PM »
I'm curious as to how Arya can still use the faces of the dead if she left the God of the Dead cult? Did she leave on good terms then and can utilize that aspect? Or, is that a skill that she learned? It seems more like 'magic' than anything and would seem to me need 'permission' to use?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4706 on: June 29, 2016, 09:19:51 PM »
I'm curious as to how Arya can still use the faces of the dead if she left the God of the Dead cult? Did she leave on good terms then and can utilize that aspect? Or, is that a skill that she learned? It seems more like 'magic' than anything and would seem to me need 'permission' to use?

I'm going to assume that she stole the face and can probably still perform the magic involved. It does go against their rules about taking the wrong name but maybe he just likes her enough to let her do what she wants? Maybe Jaqen is the many-faced god.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4707 on: June 29, 2016, 09:22:49 PM »
Maybe Jaqen is the many-faced god.

Would make sense, since outside of Arya's last little stunt, he was the only one of them who knew what the hell he was doing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4708 on: June 29, 2016, 09:26:55 PM »
It would seem that way.

I like the detail of those scenes in the books much better.

I'm wondering if this means Jaqen's character is done in the show.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4709 on: June 29, 2016, 09:29:16 PM »
It would seem that way.

Last 10 minutes of the show is the white walker king guy fighting Arya. He's the last white walker, she's the last human. He win, he's about to kill her.......and then takes off his face and is Jaqen! He says "finally a girl has no name"......credits.

20 million people commit murder.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4710 on: June 29, 2016, 09:43:00 PM »
It would seem that way.

Last 10 minutes of the show is the white walker king guy fighting Arya. He's the last white walker, she's the last human. He win, he's about to kill her.......and then takes off his face and is Jaqen! He says "finally a girl has no name"......credits.

:lol

Or Bran time travels and stops himself from climbing the tower so the show ends after one episode.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4711 on: June 29, 2016, 09:47:22 PM »
It would seem that way.

Or Bran time travels and stops himself from climbing the tower so the show ends after one episode.

I'd like to amend my idea to add that the episode is 3 hours long and all of that happens in the first 20 minutes, following by 2.5 hours of George R.R. Martin jerking off while giving everyone the finger.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #4712 on: June 30, 2016, 04:21:10 AM »
Wow this was probably my favourite season finale, and perhaps even the best season of GoT. I really loved the music in the first part! I really expected that at least some characters would make it out of the building before it exploded.

Arya seems to be going a little psycho, making a pie with human parts in it seems more than a little unnecessary  :lol I am curious as to what part she is going to play in the next season, I guess she might assasinate one of the major characters, Cersei perhaps?
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4713 on: June 30, 2016, 05:09:53 AM »
I'm wondering if Jon and Sansa think Arya is dead. I would really love to see that reunion, especially Jon and Arya. I could also imagine a Sansa and Arya reunion would be filled with lots of apologies.

It would seem that way.

I'd like to amend my idea to add that the episode is 3 hours long and all of that happens in the first 20 minutes, following by 2.5 hours of George R.R. Martin jerking off while giving everyone the finger.

I don't doubt that the idea has crossed his mind once or twice.

Wow this was probably my favourite season finale, and perhaps even the best season of GoT. I really loved the music in the first part! I really expected that at least some characters would make it out of the building before it exploded.

Arya seems to be going a little psycho, making a pie with human parts in it seems more than a little unnecessary  :lol I am curious as to what part she is going to play in the next season, I guess she might assasinate one of the major characters, Cersei perhaps?

I'm sure she will keep trying to shorten her list. How soon before she runs into The Hound again. They can't be that far apart.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4714 on: June 30, 2016, 05:44:50 AM »
Can the White Walkers only raise the dead if they were killed by their army?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4715 on: June 30, 2016, 05:54:47 AM »

I believe they can raise anyone, animals included, unless their death was by fire.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4716 on: June 30, 2016, 05:56:35 AM »

I believe they can raise anyone, animals included, unless their death was by fire.

So all the dead Starks in Winterfell's crypts are fair game?

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #4717 on: June 30, 2016, 06:05:51 AM »

Honestly, I don't think there's much left of them to raise, they're probably 90% dust. They might just forego that fact for cinematic effect, though :P.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4718 on: June 30, 2016, 06:06:28 AM »

I don't know if there's some time limit, but I guess reanimating something through their magic would include a pile of bones, if they haven't decayed already. I know at the end of season 5, Bran and Meera and company are fighting skeletons outside the entrance to the cave, so I'm assuming this means it's possible.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4719 on: June 30, 2016, 06:14:12 AM »
This guy seems pretty far gone.

Eddard (headless), Catelyn, Robb, and Rickon are still pretty fresh.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4720 on: June 30, 2016, 06:18:10 AM »
Exactly. This is why the war needs to be focused on them and not men fighting each other.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4721 on: June 30, 2016, 06:19:06 AM »
This guy seems pretty far gone.

Oh he's alright. He's just waiting for RR to finish writing the books.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4722 on: June 30, 2016, 06:22:17 AM »
I'm wondering if Jon and Sansa think Arya is dead. I would really love to see that reunion, especially Jon and Arya. I could also imagine a Sansa and Arya reunion would be filled with lots of apologies.

I think that they would reasonably assume she's dead hoping in their hearts to be mistaken. Common sense would say she's dead, the hope for a relative would led to think otherwise.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4723 on: June 30, 2016, 06:25:49 AM »
While an Arya, Jon (and to a lesser degree, Sansa) reunion would be nice...I really want Arya to have a reunion with Nymeria! That could make for some real trouble!!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4724 on: June 30, 2016, 06:27:37 AM »
I feel like the Hound has to have another encounter with either Arya or Brienne.