Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 645974 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #4620 on: June 28, 2016, 06:55:34 AM »
55. She did. She Cartman’d him.

Scott Tenorman!!  :rollin

Awwww. Your tears are so yummy and sweet!

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #4621 on: June 28, 2016, 06:56:05 AM »
Massive lol at people considering the High Sparrow anything other than a manipulative, powerhungry and brutal man like everyone else in King's Landing. Rather than riches or family name, his cloak was religion, and its devotees his army. To overlook the way he controlled the royalty this season as acts justified by some inherently good religious creed is to willfully turn a blind eye at reality.

Agreeing to disagree, without the "massive lol".

He was content taking care of the poor until Cersei gave him a little power. After that, he ran wild with it, letting it take over him. He isn't as modest as you think. It's why religion needs to stay out of politics. It's like saying only one religion has the right idea about things and forcing everyone to live by its rules. He only went after certain people, people with power, to help consolidate his own.

I wouldn't say the Sparrow "ran wild" with power.  He was actually really fair with everything he did.  The problems were all Cersei: she gave him power because she wanted to manipulate him and use him, and his followers, to punish her enemies thinking herself above the rest.  When she was held to the same standards then the faith became her enemies as well. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4622 on: June 28, 2016, 07:01:59 AM »
Massive lol at people considering the High Sparrow anything other than a manipulative, powerhungry and brutal man like everyone else in King's Landing. Rather than riches or family name, his cloak was religion, and its devotees his army. To overlook the way he controlled the royalty this season as acts justified by some inherently good religious creed is to willfully turn a blind eye at reality.

He was content taking care of the poor until Cersei gave him a little power. After that, he ran wild with it, letting it take over him. He isn't as modest as you think. It's why religion needs to stay out of politics. It's like saying only one religion has the right idea about things and forcing everyone to live by its rules. He only went after certain people, people with power, to help consolidate his own.

I wouldn't say the Sparrow "ran wild" with power.  He was actually really fair with everything he did.  The problems were all Cersei: she gave him power because she wanted to manipulate him and use him, and his followers, to punish her enemies thinking herself above the rest.  When she was held to the same standards then the faith became her enemies as well.

Running amuck in kings landing and beating everyone that may have sinned is fair?  Remember that first episode he got power and destroyed LF's brothel and pretty much went through destroying anything that was considered bad in King's Landing.  That is what you call fair?  He used his power to his advantage and continued to work to gain more power.  His followers were more closely related to a gang of thugs than a group of religious followers.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4623 on: June 28, 2016, 07:58:13 AM »
BTW, Miguel Sapochnik deserves some kind of directing award.  Especially for a show that has normally been a standout for its acting performances, writing, or effects, the last two episodes had some absolutely stunning sequences, the credit for which falls mainly on the director.  Bravo.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4624 on: June 28, 2016, 09:01:10 AM »

Running amuck in kings landing and beating everyone that may have sinned is fair?  Remember that first episode he got power and destroyed LF's brothel and pretty much went through destroying anything that was considered bad in King's Landing.  That is what you call fair?  He used his power to his advantage and continued to work to gain more power.  His followers were more closely related to a gang of thugs than a group of religious followers.

Exactly. At best, you can only say the High Sparrow thought he was doing what was right and fair and just. I think that's accurate. But brutally punishing people at will, nearly all of which were determined guilty without trial, is evil, and an abuse of power.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4625 on: June 28, 2016, 09:13:47 AM »

Exactly. At best, you can only say the High Sparrow thought he was doing what was right and fair and just. I think that's accurate. But brutally punishing people at will, nearly all of which were determined guilty without trial, is evil, and an abuse of power.

Yeah, I'm sure the Spanish Inquisition thought they were doing the right thing, too. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4626 on: June 28, 2016, 09:47:47 AM »
Yeah, no sympathy for the High Sparrow from me either. At best, he was a fanatic thinking he was doing good but doing a lot of evil in the process, at worst, he as an hypocrite hungry for power.

Olenna owned him (well, Olenna owns everyone), taunting hm about how the gods were delivering their messages, by horse or by raven. In the episode Loras submits himself to the will of the gods, but it's a man, the High Sparrow, that talks on their behalf, how convenient.

Also, on the subject of religion in Westeros, some good advice from Davos: "If your god tells you to burn children, then your god is evil".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4627 on: June 28, 2016, 09:56:59 AM »
Davos is probably in my top 5 characters. Really like that dude.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4628 on: June 28, 2016, 10:00:12 AM »

I hope he does eventually become hand of the king, like Stannis wanted him to be.  The guy is one of the few morally good people in westeros.

Also, on the subject of religion in Westeros, some good advice from Davos: "If your god tells you to burn children, then your god is evil".

Perfect quote for the discussion.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4629 on: June 28, 2016, 10:22:48 AM »
The King's landing sequence in the finale was amazing start to finish, nothing more needs to be said that hasn't been said as it's been universally praised through and through. That finale is definitely my favorite finale of all finales and my favorite season by far.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4630 on: June 28, 2016, 10:36:41 AM »
Does anyone know if ALL the children of the forest were killed when the white walkers came? Or are they scattered around?

Another question I had regarding the faceless men, in season 5 finale they show Arya's face as one of the many faces that Arya pulls when Jaqan drinks a potion and keels over. I thought the person had to be dead to have their face used that way or am I misunderstanding how it works.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4631 on: June 28, 2016, 10:43:49 AM »
Question: Is Edmure Tully now the lord of River Run and The Twins? Or are their any other Frey's left with a claim?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #4632 on: June 28, 2016, 10:44:03 AM »

"Fair" as in "equal".  The powerful and the "nobodies" were all treated the same.

I admit, I'm a bit of a Sparrow fan, books and show.  He's the only person that has truly challenged Cersei.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 10:54:21 AM by FracturedMirror »

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4633 on: June 28, 2016, 11:04:05 AM »
And no surprise the ratings for the finale was off the charts

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4634 on: June 28, 2016, 11:40:10 AM »
You don't think Cersei was on that path that like her?  I do, she is evil, just not at the level of evil of Cersei.  I onto see nothing wrong with that statement. There are always levels to good and bad.

Some are willing to manipulate and some are willing to kill.

That's what my argument was. You claimed she was as evil and conniving as Cersei and I disagreed. Now you agree that they are on different levels.

He might not be one of my Top 5, but he's good to have on your side. He's an excellent negotiator and has seen what evil can do.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4635 on: June 28, 2016, 11:41:18 AM »

I think networks are finally seeing the true value of online streaming services. I would have never watched Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones if I couldn't go back and binge the first few seasons first.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4636 on: June 28, 2016, 11:53:39 AM »

And there are people who are just starting to watch now.  As the article said, it's not normal for TV shows and Breaking Bad was another one.  Also remember how many people only started watching at the end of the show.  It's a true sign of how good a show is.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4637 on: June 28, 2016, 12:08:41 PM »
And I just realized that the vision that Bran sees of the wildfire in episode 6 is what we see in the finale. So it was another future vision that he saw and not what the Mad King did as he never was able to set the wildfire ablaze.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4638 on: June 28, 2016, 12:54:38 PM »
The high sparrow could make up whatever the hell he wanted, whenever he wanted. From day to day, he could just change his mind at a whims notices and people had to follow it. He had no checks or balances, no accountability. I hate that crap and I loved seeing his downfall. 

And The one person in the room with a brain tried to warn him, but he didn't even bother trying to listen.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4639 on: June 28, 2016, 12:57:34 PM »
And The one person in the room with a brain tried to warn him, but he didn't even bother trying to listen.

You know, I thought about this for a short time. Like "Man, if only they listened to her...."

But then I realized, that explosion was huge. None of them would have lived even if they left the second she realized they had to.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4640 on: June 28, 2016, 01:05:10 PM »
I agree. Good call on Margaery's part, but probably still a bit too late.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4641 on: June 28, 2016, 01:05:59 PM »
So what was the deal with the barrels? The Mad King had them down there all this time until they were finally activated?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4642 on: June 28, 2016, 01:07:39 PM »
He never got to use them before he died. So they were just hidden down there until Cercei found them.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4643 on: June 28, 2016, 01:20:58 PM »
Going to give my best shots at answering some of the questions

Does anyone know if ALL the children of the forest were killed when the white walkers came? Or are they scattered around?

Another question I had regarding the faceless men, in season 5 finale they show Arya's face as one of the many faces that Arya pulls when Jaqan drinks a potion and keels over. I thought the person had to be dead to have their face used that way or am I misunderstanding how it works.

I believe that was the end of the CotF, same with the Giants.  It seems two ancient species may have gone extinct this season. 

I always thought the faceless men needed the face from someone who was dead to use it.  I assume that scene had something more to do with Jaqan and the magic of the faceless men.

Question: Is Edmure Tully now the lord of River Run and The Twins? Or are their any other Frey's left with a claim?

Well Edmure is back in the cells according to Walder.  And Walder has many children so I don't know who, but there should be one of them with a claim to the Twins.  Edmure is still lord of Riverrun, but it does seem to still be under Frey control though.

So what was the deal with the barrels? The Mad King had them down there all this time until they were finally activated?

Yup.  He stocked up and was going to set the city ablaze during the end of Robert's Rebellion when it was practically over for him.  Makes me wonder if there are more as well.  There was talk about enough to blow up all of King's Landing, but that's not what we saw.  I'm just speculating, for all we know, that was all of it though.

"Fair" as in "equal".  The powerful and the "nobodies" were all treated the same.

Jamie seemed to get a pass for some reason.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4644 on: June 28, 2016, 01:22:05 PM »
The citadel should use Varys or Baelish instead of ravens, they would have known sooner that lord commander Mormont died three freakin seasons ago :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4645 on: June 28, 2016, 01:24:08 PM »
It has been confirmed that there will be seven next season. As far as I know, there are supposed to be six in season eight though I'm not sure if that was confirmed.

This article says that they've always thought they could tell the story in 73-75 hours. We are at 60 hours. So, there are either 13 or 15 episodes left. I'd suspect they split the difference and give us (2) 7 Episode Seasons. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/know-exact-number-game-thrones-175352507.html
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4646 on: June 28, 2016, 01:24:41 PM »

I believe that was the end of the CotF, same with the Giants.  It seems two ancient species may have gone extinct this season. 

I wanted so much more out of the giants :( I'm really really hoping we get a surprise and find out that the White Walkers have about a dozen of them.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4647 on: June 28, 2016, 01:26:27 PM »

I wanted so much more out of the giants :( I'm really really hoping we get a surprise and find out that the White Walkers have about a dozen of them.

That would not be good for Westeros though  :lol

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4648 on: June 28, 2016, 01:26:54 PM »
Yup.  He stocked up and was going to set the city ablaze during the end of Robert's Rebellion when it was practically over for him.  Makes me wonder if there are more as well.  There was talk about enough to blow up all of King's Landing, but that's not what we saw.  I'm just speculating, for all we know, that was all of it though.

Jamie says that he put wildfire under the entire city, "even under the Red Keep itself". There is probably more.

It would very much make sense that they do.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4649 on: June 28, 2016, 01:28:47 PM »

That would not be good for Westeros though  :lol

That's fine. I'm expecting utter devastation everywhere. There's wild fire all over the place. I'm actually kind of hoping the series ends with the White Walkers laying waste to everyone, leaving everyone dead.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4650 on: June 28, 2016, 01:46:10 PM »
Martin would giggle with glee.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4651 on: June 28, 2016, 01:50:40 PM »
That's fine. I'm expecting utter devastation everywhere. There's wild fire all over the place. I'm actually kind of hoping the series ends with the White Walkers laying waste to everyone, leaving everyone dead.

While I don't expect it to be absolute destruction and such a bleak ending....I also don't expect it to be wrapped up in a pretty bow in a 'happily ever after' scenario. I'd think there might be one or two characters that end up 'fine' and in a good position....but all in all I think most of them will die and it'll just be kind of a 'life goes on' type ending....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4652 on: June 28, 2016, 01:54:39 PM »

While I don't expect it to be absolute destruction and such a bleak ending....I also don't expect it to be wrapped up in a pretty bow in a 'happily ever after' scenario. I'd think there might be one or two characters that end up 'fine' and in a good position....but all in all I think most of them will die and it'll just be kind of a 'life goes on' type ending....

I'm expecting an ending just as depressing as The Mist (the movie, not the book).

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4653 on: June 28, 2016, 01:54:54 PM »

You know, I thought about this for a short time. Like "Man, if only they listened to her...."

But then I realized, that explosion was huge. None of them would have lived even if they left the second she realized they had to.

Actually until Olenna mourned her, I thought that maybe Margaery could have survived. Only the High Sparrow was clearly shown being nuclearized.

Anyway, I thought about it and I realized that Margaery's reaction is not overrated. Probably putting together that:
- Cersei was missing and so was Tommen, basically the only two people Cersei cares for in King's Landing (Jaimie was away)
- The sparrows were not returning
- Cersei was desperate for anything

was enough to realize something was seriously wrong. Maybe she didn't actually guess they were all gonna blow up, but she wanted to change what was evidently Cersei's plan somehow.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4654 on: June 28, 2016, 01:57:20 PM »

Actually until Olenna mourned her, I thought that maybe Margaery could have survived. Only the High Sparrow was clearly shown being nuclearized.

Anyway, I thought about it and I realized that Margaery's reaction is not overrated. Probably putting together that:
- Cersei was missing and so was Tommen, basically the only two people Cersei cares for in King's Landing (Jaimie was away)
- The sparrows were not returning
- Cersei was desperate for anything

was enough to realize something was seriously wrong. Maybe she didn't actually guess they were all gonna blow up, but she wanted to change what was evidently Cersei's plan somehow.

Before the episode started, I was assuming that The Mountain was just going to lay waste to everyone in the court room.