Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 441096 times)

Offline hunnus2000

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #3325 on: May 13, 2020, 03:29:28 PM »
90 cases in my town now, up from 70-something a few days ago. Keeps going up.

And I know how this is going to sound, but whatever: literally without fail, every single person who comes into my place of work without a mask is a white person, middle aged or older. And half the time they're with their spouse, no mask, no gloves. And every single one of them - no exaggeration - has bitched about masks, the (democrat, naturally) governor, the financial state of Illinois (despite it being in the gutter for many years before this pandemic), and everything else under the sun. Every single other person who has come in - people of color, young people, and plenty of white people young and old, don't get me wrong - has worn a mask. But the only people not wearing them are, I can only gauge from their rhetoric, white Trump supporters. (How do I know this? It's a small rural town. People talk. A LOT.)

Obviously there are exceptions to that, as I just acknowledged some of them. But the split between who's wearing them and who's not around here, and who's taking it seriously and who isn't, is very interesting to me.

Sorry not sorry... just venting. Dealing with shortness of breath the last few days and the anxiety this is inducing is only making it worse. 4 people standing in the office now (plus me, plus my boss, I'm the only one with a mask). The office is like 15 x 10. I gotta wipe everything down several times an hour. I'm almost out of wipes. (EDIT: And there's a sign on the front door saying only one person at a time is allowed in. Okay.)

(And I know at least one person on my ignore list will call me a race-baiter or a racist. It's cool. I'm not, but everyone's entitled to their opinion)

I live in a small town too and I see the exact same thing. So many people not taking this seriously.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3326 on: May 13, 2020, 03:31:02 PM »
I'm sorry about your anxiety Katt. Hope you can get that in check as time goes on...Don't read the news and you should be fine.  :hat

I hate to say it, but as more of the population gets tested, the numbers will go up. What we should be worrying about is the death numbers, and if they're messing with those data numbers, we don't really know for sure how many people died of covid exactly.

At this point, we all might as well encase ourselves in a giant bubble.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3327 on: May 13, 2020, 03:51:28 PM »
Saw a report on restaurants in other countries. Why would anyone go out to eat like this?

In large cities with huge population density in Asia it's very common to go out for dinner because a) it's usually cheaper than cooking at home and b) lots of people don't even have the facilities to cook at home. It''s very common for people to sit at tables with random strangers and yet mind their own business.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3329 on: May 13, 2020, 04:27:58 PM »
Excellent.  I am doing my part to help my body fight off this horrible virus.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3330 on: May 13, 2020, 04:47:08 PM »
In large cities with huge population density in Asia it's very common to go out for dinner because a) it's usually cheaper than cooking at home and b) lots of people don't even have the facilities to cook at home. It''s very common for people to sit at tables with random strangers and yet mind their own business.

That sucks. Is that part of the reason this thread exists?

And that picture might not be the best one for my point. I've seen other pictures where it looked like the people were there together, and still separated by a plastic shield.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3331 on: May 13, 2020, 04:48:32 PM »
And on a related note (to the point about families being realistic), allow me to vent for a second.  He's a 12-year-old boy and all that that entails.  Boogers, not a lot of hand-washing, dogs, etc. etc.   We've been pretty diligent about that stuff, not going out, masks when we do, distancing... we've even, with court approval, limited his time with his dad (his wife works in the medical field) until we could be certain of the status of their household (Dad wouldn't tell us for several weeks what she did in the medical field; our son said she's a doctor or a nurse - I've talked to her once; she ain't no doctor or nurse - but we weren't clear what her exposure was).  He finally went over there this weekend, first time in about a month and a half, and....     they went out for flowers (the whole family).  They went visiting family.  They went shopping.   No masks, no gloves, no hand sanitizer... WTF?   Back to square one with him to teach him diligence, and first thing out of his mouth?   Any guesses? Any takers?    "Why?  Dad didn't make me do this stuff."

I really feel bad reading this. This is very sad. I can totally relate.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3332 on: May 13, 2020, 05:13:41 PM »

That sucks. Is that part of the reason this thread exists?

And that picture might not be the best one for my point. I've seen other pictures where it looked like the people were there together, and still separated by a plastic shield.

Oh, maybe they are together and still separated by a screen. Hard to tell from a picture.

And 'part of the reason this thread exists' - sure, though I thought the general consensus was the virus originated on a Chinese wet market where they keep lots of animals in condensed space, thus making it easier for deadly mutations of viruses to spread to humans. (That or it was man-made in a lab :) ) Obviously in dense population areas like large cities a virus could spread easier and more quickly than in for example a rural country.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline T-ski

« Reply #3333 on: May 13, 2020, 05:35:42 PM »
Wisconsin's Supreme Court just overruled the Governors stay at home extension, so the state might be open for business as early as tomorrow.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Volante99

« Reply #3334 on: May 13, 2020, 08:12:38 PM »
Minnesota Governor didn’t extend the stay at home order. Starting Monday basically everything is open for business except for restaurants, gyms and hair salons (which will be opening June 1). All this when deaths continue to climb.

He caved but with Iowa, Dakotas, and now Wisconsin opening, he didn’t have much choice.

I didn’t get my public health policy degree from Trump University but I’m going to guess this is going to get bad...

Offline qed

« Reply #3335 on: May 14, 2020, 04:15:28 AM »

Oh, maybe they are together and still separated by a screen. Hard to tell from a picture.

And 'part of the reason this thread exists' - sure, though I thought the general consensus was the virus originated on a Chinese wet market where they keep lots of animals in condensed space, thus making it easier for deadly mutations of viruses to spread to humans. (That or it was man-made in a lab :) ) Obviously in dense population areas like large cities a virus could spread easier and more quickly than in for example a rural country.

CoVID-19 = Cow Virus of Immune Deficiency. You have to sop meat consumption ASAP.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3336 on: May 14, 2020, 04:24:58 AM »
That's not absolutely what the acronym Covid stands for.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline qed

« Reply #3337 on: May 14, 2020, 04:44:39 AM »
That's not absolutely what the acronym Covid stands for.

Coronavirus = Carnivorous

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3338 on: May 14, 2020, 04:58:58 AM »
Of course you can make up anything you like if you really want to.
Squ

Offline qed

« Reply #3339 on: May 14, 2020, 05:15:07 AM »
Of course you can make up anything you like if you really want to.

You cannot make up the fact this has gone too far:

Quote from: Pythagoras
As long as Man continues to be the ruthless destroyer of lower living beings, he will never know health or peace. For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3340 on: May 14, 2020, 05:21:56 AM »
Okay, but that's a different discussion altogether. For the record, I do agree with the idea that mankind's destructive attitude (not everybody, but in general) towards nature and other animals - basically our homeplanet - is not the way to go forward. That Pythagoras supposedly said/wrote something similar over 2000 years ago doesn't really matter in that sense.

That coronavirus came as a result of this destructive behaviour - lots of different living animals stuck in cages close to each other (something that's repulsive in and of itself as far as I'm concerned) - should be a wake-up call. Unfortunately, it didn't really turn out to be a 'wake-up call' after SARS got into the world via the same route.
Squ

Offline qed

« Reply #3341 on: May 14, 2020, 05:35:27 AM »
Okay, but that's a different discussion altogether. For the record, I do agree with the idea that mankind's destructive attitude (not everybody, but in general) towards nature and other animals - basically our homeplanet - is not the way to go forward. That Pythagoras supposedly said/wrote something similar over 2000 years ago doesn't really matter in that sense.

That coronavirus came as a result of this destructive behaviour - lots of different living animals stuck in cages close to each other (something that's repulsive in and of itself as far as I'm concerned) - should be a wake-up call. Unfortunately, it didn't really turn out to be a 'wake-up call' after SARS got into the world via the same route.

It's Law of Consequences at work. Pythagoras knew this. When you consume meat you're taking a life away from a lower living being -- you then create the exact required conditions within your physical body for a virus to eat you from inside the same way you have consumed an animal.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3342 on: May 14, 2020, 05:36:55 AM »
The stay-at-home orders were never meant to be enough to stop the spread of Covid, only to slow it so that our medical system doesn't get overwhelmed. In those states where hospitals are largely sitting empty, doesn't it make sense to allow things to open up a little bit?

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3343 on: May 14, 2020, 05:41:40 AM »

It's Law of Consequences at work. Pythagoras knew this. When you consume meat you're taking a life away from a lower living being -- you then create the exact required conditions within your physical body for a virus to eat you from inside the same way you have consumed an animal.

So, why is COVID a uniquely human phenomenon?  There are many species in the animal kingdom that consume other animals.  If consuming meat is the "exact" criteria/condition required for the body to be susceptible to a virus the way you outline, please explain why such virus' are not more prevalent in the animal kingdom?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3344 on: May 14, 2020, 05:45:51 AM »
The stay-at-home orders were never meant to be enough to stop the spread of Covid, only to slow it so that our medical system doesn't get overwhelmed. In those states where hospitals are largely sitting empty, doesn't it make sense to allow things to open up a little bit?

This guys twitter video seems to have gone viral kind of saying the same thing https://twitter.com/stoolpresidente/status/1260721488241418240

Offline qed

« Reply #3345 on: May 14, 2020, 06:00:29 AM »

So, why is COVID a uniquely human phenomenon?  There are many species in the animal kingdom that consume other animals.  If consuming meat is the "exact" criteria/condition required for the body to be susceptible to a virus the way you outline, please explain why such virus' are not more prevalent in the animal kingdom?

Carnivorous animals have enough specific deceases, but in this case immune deficiency in humans has been obtained through the years of antibiotics consumption along with the meat, which made the immune system weak to the virus.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3346 on: May 14, 2020, 06:22:47 AM »

Carnivorous animals have enough specific deceases, but in this case immune deficiency in humans has been obtained through the years of antibiotics consumption along with the meat, which made the immune system weak to the virus.

This one is a double whammy. Not only are we decreasing the effectiveness of our immune systems, the antibiotics force harmful bacteria and the like to mutate more aggressively and at a faster rate.

Offline qed

« Reply #3347 on: May 14, 2020, 06:30:19 AM »

This one is a double whammy. Not only are we decreasing the effectiveness of our immune systems, the antibiotics force harmful bacteria and the like to mutate more aggressively and at a faster rate.

Exactly, thus the only way to stop it -- is to stop meat consumption, and there will be no need to massacre animals anymore. Hence, there will be peace, and we will complete another phase of our evolution.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3348 on: May 14, 2020, 06:36:55 AM »
Wouldn't stopping the overuse of antibiotics also achieve the same thing?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3349 on: May 14, 2020, 06:37:34 AM »
Qed, as a lifelong vegetarian myself, I think you’re overselling it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline qed

« Reply #3350 on: May 14, 2020, 06:48:10 AM »
Wouldn't stopping the overuse of antibiotics also achieve the same thing?

You can't stop this machine, follow the money. Only if people had the will to stop meat consumption, it would stop the market to sell it. Because if you want to produce and sell tons of it, the only way to do that is to use antibiotics.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 06:53:46 AM by qed »

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #3351 on: May 14, 2020, 06:50:02 AM »

Celebrate....you now know you are immune to viruses.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline qed

« Reply #3352 on: May 14, 2020, 06:52:47 AM »

How can you oversell something that is not for sale? Honestly, I cannot oversell a brighter future of mankind. Like, 'peace sells... but who's buying'.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 07:01:13 AM by qed »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3353 on: May 14, 2020, 07:01:25 AM »

How can you oversell something that is not for sale? Honestly, I cannot oversell a brighter future of mankind.

I'm going to take a bet, and I may be wrong, but I feel like if you keep trying to pitch vegetarianism the way you are, meat sales will go up.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3354 on: May 14, 2020, 07:04:34 AM »

Exactly, thus the only way to stop it -- is to stop meat consumption, and there will be no need to massacre animals anymore. Hence, there will be peace, and we will complete another phase of our evolution.

No. I'll still consume beef ribs, brisket, bacon, loins, chicken, and steak from smaller farms that don't pump their product full of shit.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 07:19:23 AM by Chino »

Offline qed

« Reply #3355 on: May 14, 2020, 07:12:38 AM »

How can you oversell something that is not for sale? Honestly, I cannot oversell a brighter future of mankind.

I'm going to take a bet, and I may be wrong, but I feel like if you keep trying to pitch vegetarianism the way you are, meat sales will go up.

At this point there's no way back. People should know the truth of why exactly this is happening.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3356 on: May 14, 2020, 07:14:29 AM »
Meat isn't bad for you and this hippie nonsense about how stopping eating meat altogether is gonna save mankind is exactly that.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline qed

« Reply #3357 on: May 14, 2020, 07:16:24 AM »

No. I'll still consume beef ribs, brisket, bacon, loins, chicken, and steak from smaller farm that don't pump their product full of shit.

Now when you know the truth, from now on it's your choice and your responsibility for it.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3358 on: May 14, 2020, 07:18:54 AM »

No. I'll still consume beef ribs, brisket, bacon, loins, chicken, and steak from smaller farms that don't pump their product full of shit.

Now when you know the truth, from now on it's your choice and your responsibility for it.

I hate you.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3359 on: May 14, 2020, 07:27:20 AM »

qed is actually an undercover agent for Big Meat trying to drum up sales.