Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 439290 times)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #910 on: March 15, 2020, 07:44:08 PM »
Luckily The Wife bought the usual amount of toilet paper last week (one of those big packs that have 27 rolls or something). We only have a little bit of hand sanitizer but I don't care because I never use that stuff anyway. I couldn't find my regular bathroom hand soap so I had to buy some "prebiotic" whatever that is. Really fucking stupid. And as someone else said earlier in the thread, WTF are the wanna-be survivalists buying up all the bottled water???

DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #911 on: March 15, 2020, 07:50:09 PM »
If this lasts too long, these small business will go under all across the country. The economic impact will be on a level we haven't seen in our life times.

On top of that the Fed has lowered interest rates to nearly zero. Negative interest rates might be on the horizon.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #912 on: March 15, 2020, 10:22:34 PM »
Yep, even if the number of those who get the virus is kept to a minimum (whatever that means), the devastation that is going to happen to the economy and businesses here is scary to think about.  I work for a transportation company that has been in the industry for almost 40 years and has a great rep (two locations, probably 125 total employees), and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about them surviving this.  It is already a tough time lately for transportation as freight has been going through a slow spell lately after a crazy good 2018, and this is certain to bury a lot of businesses in the industry. I just pray we are not one of them.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #913 on: March 15, 2020, 10:29:01 PM »
Newest CDC guidelines really are going to put my business in a tough spot, not as tough as weddings mind you, but if people want a traditional funeral, they generally expect 50+ people.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #914 on: March 15, 2020, 10:44:50 PM »
My family owns a grocery store and I wouldn’t lie if I’m not nervous. People will need groceries and I think because we are a neighborhood grocery store, people won’t want to go too far to get groceries, so I think that will bode well for us. But how will transport work for the companies we order from? Will I still be able to get produce from California? How will it all work? Will we need to adjust hours? Are we going to be busy? Are we just gonna tank into the ground?

I don’t think we will, in fact, I think we’ll be busier than usual. But we won’t know until we see what route Minnesota is going to go and what our government will enact. A confirmed case of Coronavirus happened at the university up the road from us. That hasn’t had an impact yet, but who knows.

The fear of the unknown is what worries me and this is our lifeblood.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #915 on: March 15, 2020, 11:48:48 PM »
I work in a small company in the e-learning market. We have just been bought by a big technical consultancy company.

Now, normally when there is a recession I would not worry as companies want to lower their cost for education and we are there to help them with that.

Now though, with SAS getting rid of 90% of their workforce and Scandic getting rid of 50% among others.... I do start to worry

1. Companies might just stop all education completeley
2. Consultants are the first to go (making our new owners vulnerable)

Right now no changes though..... except everyone is allowed to work from home and everyone has to 'check in' on Teams every morning.

Tough times  ahead.... stay safe everyone

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #916 on: March 16, 2020, 01:42:32 AM »
I'm working at a site with a big courtyard with many big companies like Zalando and Wayfair, but most of them have closed. I'm lucky enough to live close to work, and to only interact with 3-4 people on a regular working day. I can't do my job 100% remotely, but still about half of it. It's not affecting my work directly, but it's affecting the bands on our roster immensely, all of the tours the bands were on / were planning to go on until at least mid April are canceled, and it'll most likely extend to at least July..? It hurts the production big time.

I'm mildly concerned, but lucky not to interact with any older people on a regular day, so I'm still pretty comfortable. What concerns me a little is that my mom is in Madrid (she goes very regularly to visit her boyfriend) and they already went on partial lockdown, borders still open to some countries though. I'm urging her to get an earlier flight back but she says it's okay and she can wait until they announce it officially. I just think with the way Spain is going I could totally see The Netherlands refusing flights from Spain back, or Spain having to spontaneously close the borders without prior notice.

And to all the ravers that desperately throw illegal parties because the government is stealing their night club candy from you and put your own temporary amusement above everyone around you, screw you :)
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #917 on: March 16, 2020, 02:20:34 AM »
All these more than valid concerns about the economy, which are felt also in Europe as well, should definitively render moot the point about the mortality of the virus.

Aside from the fact that even a few people dying is tragic (and they die alone, with a tube down their throat, not being able to see their loved ones one last time), look at what's happening with all these lockdowns. The regular activities, school included, are disrupted. Many businesses, especially the small ones, will face grave economical difficulties. Concerts are being cancelled and so sporting events - I believe that the last time all the national and international sporting events got suspended, Adolf friggin' Hitler was still alive.

This has to be fought and taken seriously even just for the economical disaster that it will inflict upon everyone. Imagine that next time a virus comes out and it's not lethal, but, dunno, makes you so weak that you need to be hospitalized for two weeks straight because you need to be treated or fed with tubes or whatever. Imagine that it has the same capability of propagation of the Covid-19. Even if no one would die, we'd still have a lot of people being hospitalized at the same time, and many people missing from work at the same time (infect  a teacher, a whole school is closed, infect a supermarket worker, that store has to be closed, infect a sport player, the tournament gets suspended, and so on). The need to stop and quarantine everyone would still be the same even if nobody was dying.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #918 on: March 16, 2020, 03:32:43 AM »
All these more than valid concerns about the economy, which are felt also in Europe as well, should definitively render moot the point about the mortality of the virus.

Aside from the fact that even a few people dying is tragic (and they die alone, with a tube down their throat, not being able to see their loved ones one last time), look at what's happening with all these lockdowns. The regular activities, school included, are disrupted. Many businesses, especially the small ones, will face grave economical difficulties. Concerts are being cancelled and so sporting events - I believe that the last time all the national and international sporting events got suspended, Adolf friggin' Hitler was still alive.

This has to be fought and taken seriously even just for the economical disaster that it will inflict upon everyone. Imagine that next time a virus comes out and it's not lethal, but, dunno, makes you so weak that you need to be hospitalized for two weeks straight because you need to be treated or fed with tubes or whatever. Imagine that it has the same capability of propagation of the Covid-19. Even if no one would die, we'd still have a lot of people being hospitalized at the same time, and many people missing from work at the same time (infect  a teacher, a whole school is closed, infect a supermarket worker, that store has to be closed, infect a sport player, the tournament gets suspended, and so on). The need to stop and quarantine everyone would still be the same even if nobody was dying.

Is there any sense that the tide is turning in Italy?   Any slowdown on new cases?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #919 on: March 16, 2020, 03:45:07 AM »
Nope, not yet. Italy has been quarantined a week ago so it's still a week to go before seeing the eventual results.

The contagions DID stop in the first two small towns where it all started, because they were quarantined from the get go. But for Italy as a whole, the first results will be seen in 7-10 days from now. Possibly a bit later.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #920 on: March 16, 2020, 05:18:08 AM »
A work peer in Singapore just told our team "it's been getting better here for the past several weeks.  In fact this weekend the stopped the temperature scans that were in place at all buildings / malls.  Very few people are still wearing masks, and for the most part, the locals have returned to the cafes, bars and restaurants (from my limited vantage point)."

I'll take any piece of good news that comes up.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #921 on: March 16, 2020, 05:22:24 AM »

Is there any sense that the tide is turning in Italy?   Any slowdown on new cases?

Italy had almost 400 deaths from it yesterday.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #922 on: March 16, 2020, 05:40:19 AM »
I always check daily this site by now, the one added in the OP:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Damn. I don't even watch the italian numbers anymore, they're gutting, and Spain is doing very bad. France and Germany are not doing that good either. I'm afraid for the future UK and USA numbers.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #923 on: March 16, 2020, 05:50:19 AM »
I always check daily this site by now, the one added in the OP:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Damn. I don't even watch the italian numbers anymore, they're gutting, and Spain is doing very bad. France and Germany are not doing that good either. I'm afraid for the future UK and USA numbers.

Yeah, our news reported on Italy and those recent numbers are scary. Apparently doctors are required to make difficult choices who to treat in general due to capacity issues. Intensive care is at capacity in some hospitals, meaning choices have to be made between patients that are all in life danger (many of which are not corona sufferers). And that is why the mortality rate of an unchecked viral outbreak will not be just of the virus itself, it also poses a danger to others with health issues due to the strain it puts on healthcare. I can only hope the "flatten the curve" strategies will work out.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #924 on: March 16, 2020, 05:56:28 AM »
Newest CDC guidelines really are going to put my business in a tough spot, not as tough as weddings mind you, but if people want a traditional funeral, they generally expect 50+ people.

My uncle just passed and I'm curious to see how it plays out. I think the graveside service will be about 30 to 40, but the reception will be much greater.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #925 on: March 16, 2020, 06:14:15 AM »
I'm officially working from home until at least the 27th. Not sure how to feel about that.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #926 on: March 16, 2020, 06:30:05 AM »
We went out a few times this weekend in Minneapolis, kind of assuming we'll just hunker down for a while now. I'm not terribly concerned for myself or my family since were're all young and healthy, but certainly am concerned about the elderly and the healthcare system as a whole. It will be very interesting to see how things go. It's encouraging that things seem to have turned a corner in Asia. I fear Americans are too independent and "free" to listen to the authorities that we should just stay home. I know my gut reaction to being told to stay home is "screw you... I can do what I want" until my brain kicks in and realizes that really is for the best. I wish my company would allow us to work from home if we can. I suspect that will change soon.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #927 on: March 16, 2020, 06:55:32 AM »
I'm still of the opinion that all these drastic measures are only necessary because we can't seem to practice the little, PERSONAL things that would improve our odds. 

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #928 on: March 16, 2020, 06:57:49 AM »
Yesterday, our president advised all businesses to let people work from home if possible. They also announced that schools and universities will be closed for the next two weeks and that the borders will be closed to anyone who doesn't live in the country. I am glad to see they are tackling the problem early on. I just hope that people listen to the recommendation of staying home as much as possible.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #929 on: March 16, 2020, 07:01:47 AM »
I'm still of the opinion that all these drastic measures are only necessary because we can't seem to practice the little, PERSONAL things that would improve our odds.

That might be the most pragmatic libertarian thing you've said heh.

Personally? I would love to self-quarantine for a week or two. Sadly, my work doesn't change and I can't work from home. Such is life.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #930 on: March 16, 2020, 07:10:57 AM »

That might be the most pragmatic libertarian thing you've said heh.

Personally? I would love to self-quarantine for a week or two. Sadly, my work doesn't change and I can't work from home. Such is life.

I'm in the same boat as you Adami.  It's very busy because the selves are empty at WAL Mart.  So here at the DC, if they are busy, we are.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #931 on: March 16, 2020, 07:19:23 AM »

Correction... we *DIDN'T* practice those little things.  And now aggressive/extreme measures need to be taken.  As every outbreak region has shown, there is a minimum 7-10 day lag from the time measures are undertaken, to the time the results of those measures are seen.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #932 on: March 16, 2020, 07:27:35 AM »
Expecting my dad's place (homemade chocolates and ice cream and then burgers and sandwiches) to get the order to go to delivery and takeout only sometime this week. If it lasts very long it's going to hurt because Easter is their biggest time of year, they've literally been churning out chocolate bunnies and such since shortly after the new year.

I'm just thankful I have a job where it's easy enough for me to work from home daily. I have friends who work in the beer scene in NYC who are getting nervous.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #933 on: March 16, 2020, 07:31:56 AM »
CHAMPAIGN --TheChampaign-Urbana Public Health District (CUPHD) announced the first case of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Champaign County. The resident is a female in her 50s and is in home isolation and recovering. Public health officials are identifying and contacting all close contacts.

Ah, screw me sideways, it's already here. Nice knowing ya'll.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #934 on: March 16, 2020, 07:32:33 AM »
Yay! Another bloodbath day in the stock market! I know I shouldn't sell, but it's so damn tempting! I think I'm going to hold off on adding anything to my Roth IRA for a while, but the 410k will still get its regular payday addition.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #935 on: March 16, 2020, 07:39:25 AM »
Trading halted after what, 2 seconds?

If anyone's horizon is more than three years, hold.  Anyone who has a 2 year or less horizon, this blows.  Hard.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #936 on: March 16, 2020, 07:50:51 AM »

My uncle just passed and I'm curious to see how it plays out. I think the graveside service will be about 30 to 40, but the reception will be much greater.

I was at a funeral on Saturday for my friend and co-worker of over 20 years. I'm in Illinois. We absolutely broke the gathering rule. We all knew it, no one discussed it. We celebrated my friend and then we all went back home. It was a large gathering. I do think many stayed home due to the current situation. In this one case, I did not care. This was my oldest friend and I have been a wreck for days now. I needed to say goodbye.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #937 on: March 16, 2020, 08:04:34 AM »
Trading halted after what, 2 seconds?

If anyone's horizon is more than three years, hold.  Anyone who has a 2 year or less horizon, this blows.  Hard.

We are 3.5 years out from retirement.  I did make a large move on Friday, buying a large chunk of my company stock, Marathon Petroleum Company.   It was at its lowest ever, $22 a share (Normal fluxuates between $40-70).  I figure EVENTUALLY it will get back in normal range being an oil stock.  My other 401K I don't even want to look at.  At this point I think I'm more concerned about our economy more than the virus.  At least with the virus I have a little control, If we're not already infected, by personal hygiene and social distancing.  With the economy and the retirement funds me and the wife have built up for the last 30 years we have virtually no control of and I guess we just have to ride it out and hope for the best.

Offline MirrorMask

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #939 on: March 16, 2020, 08:12:55 AM »
Meanwhile, in Italy....

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/coronavirus-death-metal-guitarist-plays-slayers-raining-blood-from-balcony-as-italy-stays-under-lockdown/

:metal

:metal Towards the bottom...

In Italy, which has one of the oldest populations in the world, one hundred percent of the people who have died have been over 60, and the vast majority over 80.

Well... that's kind of reassuring I guess? I mean it's awful, it's tragic. But, like... that's surprising. Look, I'm taking any silver lining I can find in this mess. THAT SAID, my grandmother is 82. Hopefully she just continues to stay inside :(
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #940 on: March 16, 2020, 08:17:32 AM »
Sadly that's not correct, a couple of days ago a 47 years old (and healthy) first aid operator passed away because of the virus. Generally yes, it's elder people at risk, but younger people are at a severe risk as well.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #941 on: March 16, 2020, 08:23:27 AM »
Well, yeah. But statistically the point remains that the vast overwhelming majority are the very elderly, which is - and I know people don't want to hear this but it is a true fact - a good sign for most of us. That's something reassuring to keep in mind if any of us contract this virus. Don't panic, don't start talking about dying. Yesterday I had to listen to my mother talk about how she's not afraid to die, after losing my sister in October. Jesus Christ!  :(

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #942 on: March 16, 2020, 08:27:02 AM »
Well, yeah. But statistically the point remains that the vast overwhelming majority are the very elderly, which is - and I know people don't want to hear this but it is a true fact - a good sign for most of us. That's something reassuring to keep in mind if any of us contract this virus. Don't panic, don't start talking about dying. Yesterday I had to listen to my mother talk about how she's not afraid to die, after losing my sister in October. Jesus Christ!  :(

Indeed. But also....for now.

My big thing with this, and it may turn out to be unfounded (which I hope) is its novelty. As it currently is, it's bad but not world ending. That said....what if it mutates? I think that's my biggest issue with the response that it's not THAT big of a deal. Sure, not right now. And I hope it never is. But nothing is until it is. Waiting until millions are dying to take it seriously is not a smart choice.

I know I'm quoting you, but only my first sentence was directly to you.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #943 on: March 16, 2020, 08:30:37 AM »

Indeed. But also....for now.

My big thing with this, and it may turn out to be unfounded (which I hope) is its novelty. As it currently is, it's bad but not world ending. That said....what if it mutates? I think that's my biggest issue with the response that it's not THAT big of a deal. Sure, not right now. And I hope it never is. But nothing is until it is. Waiting until millions are dying to take it seriously is not a smart choice.

I know I'm quoting you, but only my first sentence was directly to you.

Hey, not so fast. I agree with all that.  :loser:  :lol

I have a bit of fear about the possibility of mutation as well. I'm also curious, though - say this does blow over in the near future, and we're lucky enough to mitigate the fallout. What next? Does anybody hold Wuhan/China responsible for allowing that kind of wild ass exotic animal market to exist? It's gonna happen again if another market pops up full of bats and pangolins and kangaroos and peacocks and rabbits all laying on each other getting chopped up in the street.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #944 on: March 16, 2020, 08:40:49 AM »

:metal Towards the bottom...

In Italy, which has one of the oldest populations in the world, one hundred percent of the people who have died have been over 60, and the vast majority over 80.

Well... that's kind of reassuring I guess? I mean it's awful, it's tragic. But, like... that's surprising. Look, I'm taking any silver lining I can find in this mess. THAT SAID, my grandmother is 82. Hopefully she just continues to stay inside :(

This is where I am right now.  Would I or my wife recover if we got ill?  Absolutely.  I'm not afraid to get sick, though I'd certainly have some hardships related to work and being sick or quarantined for 14 days (plus another 14 days when my wife would catch it from me).

But my in-laws are paranoid.  Both are over 60, with all sorts of current health issues like diabetes.  They are our primary babysitters for my kids.  I would be devastated if we got the illness and passed it on to them (or if the kids passed it onto them).  So I understand all of the precautions are not necessarily just to protect ME, but to protect ME from transmitting it to someone who would have a much harder time if they became ill.

I dropped my car off at the auto shop today for an oil change.  We'll probably order takeout from a local restaurant tonight, since they're being hit hardest of all.  I can avoid crowds except for when I have to commute to work.  Though I would bet that the train would be fairly empty.