Author Topic: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty  (Read 212330 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty
« Reply #420 on: May 02, 2017, 07:39:40 AM »
u
How did the Browns do in the draft?  :rollin  They get some of the best draft picks every year and nothing happens.  Must be a coaching thing.   :justjen

Coach is beginning his 2nd year with the team...

It was a front office thing...and that has been rectified.  They have had fantastic 2 drafts and they are 2-3 years away from contending.

Hope springs eternal, and I'd love to be proved wrong, but I think this is wildly optimistic.

Agreed. 2-3 years away from being a decent team? Maybe? But actually contending? Nah.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #421 on: May 02, 2017, 08:04:36 AM »
u
How did the Browns do in the draft?  :rollin  They get some of the best draft picks every year and nothing happens.  Must be a coaching thing.   :justjen

Coach is beginning his 2nd year with the team...

It was a front office thing...and that has been rectified.  They have had fantastic 2 drafts and they are 2-3 years away from contending.

Hope springs eternal, and I'd love to be proved wrong, but I think this is wildly optimistic.

Agreed. 2-3 years away from being a decent team? Maybe? But actually contending? Nah.

I don't see how this is so far fetched. Will Brady and Roethlisberger be around in 2-3 years? The AFC will be up for grabs and as long as the Browns continue to make sound decisions, they'll be in the mix. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #422 on: May 02, 2017, 08:17:33 AM »
I don't see how this is so far fetched. Will Brady and Roethlisberger be around in 2-3 years? The AFC will be up for grabs and as long as the Browns continue to make sound decisions, they'll be in the mix.

Typically they don't do that though, so maybe things have changed, but until they prove otherwise, I'm going to assume the trend of bad decision making will continue. That's all.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #423 on: May 02, 2017, 08:36:19 AM »
Don't you have to make a sound decision before you can "continue" making sound decisions?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #424 on: May 02, 2017, 08:41:13 AM »
The new regime has made several sound decisions. Should be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #425 on: May 02, 2017, 08:42:27 AM »
Honest question, because I haven't been paying close attention, what are they doing differently than the previous regime? What decisions have they made?

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #426 on: May 02, 2017, 09:24:58 PM »
Well for one, they got rid of Scott 1000 sheets and brought in Cottonelle with aloe. If that ain't a sign of turnin the tide then what is?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #427 on: May 02, 2017, 09:57:42 PM »
Well for one, they got rid of Scott 1000 sheets and brought in Cottonelle with aloe. If that ain't a sign of turnin the tide then what is?

I think that you've come close to the eternal question. What exactly is a Brown, anyways?
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #428 on: May 02, 2017, 10:47:08 PM »
It's apauling that you don't know the answer.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #429 on: May 02, 2017, 10:55:25 PM »
It's apauling that you don't know the answer.

I used to think that it was the color of the water in Lake Erie, but it turns out that was just from the pollution.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: May 03, 2017, 04:34:01 AM »
Honest question, because I haven't been paying close attention, what are they doing differently than the previous regime? What decisions have they made?

They didn't fire their coach after a 1-15 season that was not his fault whatsoever. They've had two very good drafts, building a ton of draft equity. And it looks like they're drafting the right people. Of course we won't truly know until years down the road for some of these guys, but this doesn't look like the the same Browns team that has been stuck in the suck, at least to me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #431 on: May 03, 2017, 08:07:37 AM »

They didn't fire their coach after a 1-15 season that was not his fault whatsoever. They've had two very good drafts, building a ton of draft equity. And it looks like they're drafting the right people. Of course we won't truly know until years down the road for some of these guys, but this doesn't look like the the same Browns team that has been stuck in the suck, at least to me.

I mean this sincerely, and in the spirit of being a fan, but for your sake, I hope you're right.  We will see soon enough, no?

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #432 on: May 03, 2017, 08:45:47 AM »

Yeah I mean that's cool and all but basically they didn't fire a coach and maybe have drafted players that might turn out? Like I said, I'll wait and see...

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: May 03, 2017, 10:40:23 AM »
I get that folks will believe it when they see it when it comes to Cleveland... it's been a rough go since the team returned, but I'm not putting any of that on the current regime. I'm considering what they have to dig out of and what they've done so far. And on both counts, they're doing fantastic. The only thing that they could have done better was stay at #2 last year and draft Wentz. Dude is legit.

Speaking of the Eagles, their GM has been killing it, and has done a lot to undo the mess that Chip Kelly made.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #434 on: May 03, 2017, 10:46:19 AM »
...the current regime. I'm considering what they have to dig out of and what they've done so far. 

Okay, but what have they done so far?  That's the question that hasn't been answered.  And I'm not necessarily implying that they haven't done anything.  But just that, as an admittedly ignorant and disinterest outsider, I am not aware of anything.

Speaking of the Eagles, their GM has been killing it, and has done a lot to undo the mess that Chip Kelly made.

I think I can say the same thing about the 49ers, at least preliminarily.  But time will tell.  We have a long road ahead.  And given past history, I don't want to underestimate the supreme talent and ability of the 49ers front office to make an abject mess out of any given situation.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #435 on: May 03, 2017, 02:55:20 PM »
I can kinda see DoC's point.  When a team is as bad as the Browns, there's no place to go but up.  But, what they've done "so far" hasn't given any indication that they are getting off the bottom anytime soon.  Then again, they could have a miracle season this year and everyone will be like WTF???   :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #436 on: May 12, 2017, 08:14:29 AM »
Had an interesting (to me, anyway) thought this morning.  In terms of assessing an individual player's legacy, championships often do matter.  Whether they should is open for debate.  And how much is open to debate.  But they do get factored in, and I am taking that as a given.  But do some championships count more than others? 

I was thinking about this in connection with Brady.  If we could re-wind the hands of time, let's assume the following happens:  The 2007 season ends with the Pats going 16-0.  They win their next two playoff games.  But instead of losing to the Giants in Super Bowl XLII, they win it and complete the season sweep.  The perfect season is now theirs.  And let's say that Brady plays the following years pretty much as he did, but didn't manage to win another Super Bowl, so now he only has 4 instead of 5.  But he has THAT one.  The one in a wife-to-wire undefeated season.  Is that somehow worth more?  Is he the G.O.A.T. with only 4 Super Bowls because he has THAT one among his four?  I know it's a bit superficial, but I kinda lean toward "yes."

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #437 on: May 12, 2017, 08:53:00 AM »
The GOAT thing is subjective enough that people jump aboard while the train is rolling. He was in definitely in the GOAT consideration before the last SB. He was, albeit to a lesser extent, before the Seattle SB. I think there just comes a tipping point where it starts to becomes an effective consensus. So with that in mind I don't think it's number of SBs that count. Not winning one certainly hurts. Winning 13 would obviously help. Fifteen years of all-pro play with SBs scattered about is far more important, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #438 on: May 12, 2017, 08:57:34 AM »
I agree with all of that.  Just curious how much weight yourself and others might give a SB that caps off a perfect season. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #439 on: May 12, 2017, 09:20:56 AM »
For Brady that would be the cherry on top of his career.   Others it would elevate their stature.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: May 12, 2017, 10:40:20 AM »
Speaking of Tom.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: May 12, 2017, 10:59:41 AM »
We can play that game with Brady's first 3 SB wins, which were all decided by narrow margins.

He's in the conversation for sure.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #442 on: May 12, 2017, 11:11:50 AM »
All I know is I'm hoping the Madden curse has another good year :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #443 on: May 12, 2017, 11:13:17 AM »
We can play that game with Brady's first 3 SB wins, which were all decided by narrow margins.

Is the conversation still ongoing? I honestly thought it was settled at this point.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: May 12, 2017, 11:14:26 AM »

Is the conversation still ongoing? I honestly thought it was settled at this point.

I certainly hope not, since it's completely opinion based.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #445 on: May 12, 2017, 11:25:34 AM »

My issue with him being considered the GOAT lies in Belichick and the Patriots. Football is the ultimate team sport and nobody is productive alone. Brady has played for the greatest coach of all time on well managed and well structured teams for his whole career. Look at the years where New England's defense wasn't as good or their offense was a bit more one dimensional. While they still made the playoffs, they consistently came up short. Put a guy like Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers on New England's roster and you'll probably see similar results. IMO, Peyton (who I think is the GOAT) should get more credit for being the only starting QB to win a Super Bowl with two different teams than Brady who once again played for the best coach ever for his entire career.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #446 on: May 12, 2017, 11:30:57 AM »
^^^Peyton's a valid choice, so I'm not arguing with you. I'll just point out that the reason you question Brady's status is a bigger problem with Peyton. He was the week link on the second superbowl team, and won on the backs of his D.
E.F. Benson

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: May 12, 2017, 11:39:06 AM »
We can't hold it against Brady that Manning won with two different teams.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: May 12, 2017, 12:48:53 PM »
I understand the reasoning but there has been only 2 times the Pats spent money on the offensive side of the ball.  2007 and this year yet they produce.  I'm just happy to see his name in rarefied air.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: May 12, 2017, 12:49:20 PM »
All I know is I'm hoping the Madden curse has another good year :lol

Mason said the same thing to me on Facebook. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #450 on: May 13, 2017, 07:37:55 AM »

My issue with him being considered the GOAT lies in Belichick and the Patriots. Football is the ultimate team sport and nobody is productive alone. Brady has played for the greatest coach of all time on well managed and well structured teams for his whole career. Look at the years where New England's defense wasn't as good or their offense was a bit more one dimensional. While they still made the playoffs, they consistently came up short. Put a guy like Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers on New England's roster and you'll probably see similar results. IMO, Peyton (who I think is the GOAT) should get more credit for being the only starting QB to win a Super Bowl with two different teams than Brady who once again played for the best coach ever for his entire career.

Good post.

Brady certainly has a great argument for being the best QB ever, but here is my issue with that: he has been voted the All-Pro First Team QB twice.  Twice. That means that, for all of his postseason success, he was only considered the best QB in the league by voters twice in his 15 NFL seasons to date (excluding 2008).  Meanwhile, Peyton Manning was All-Pro First Team SEVEN times, which means he was considered the best QB in the league in nearly half of his years (7 out of 16). 

As much as some like to do it, we cannot dismiss the regular season like it means nothing and that the postseason means everything.  Manning played 293 games, 266 of which were in the regular season, but we are supposed to act like 91% of his career doesn't really matter?  Hogwash.

And if titles mean everything, then Brady, Montana and Bradshaw are the best of the Super Bowl era, right?

Note: I am not saying the postseason means nothing, just that it shouldn't mean everything.

As big a dick as I think Dan Marino is, he unfairly gets left out of GOAT QB conversations simply because he never won a Super Bowl, even though he was blowing every QB out of the water for much of his career (he was putting up obscene numbers back when passing numbers weren't even close overall to what they are now).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: May 13, 2017, 07:46:38 AM »
What really hurts Marino is that he had the same coach like most say about Brady/Belichick yet they did not dominate their division during their run.  Buffalo 4 years in a row in the SB (That's just insane) and the Pats winning the division a few times going to the SB once.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #452 on: May 13, 2017, 07:52:20 AM »
I tend to be pro-Marino in some ways and anti-Marino in others.

On the one hand, what he did despite no running game and dropping back so often, was incredible.  Dropping back to throw that often was suicide for any other QB back then.

On the other hand, I don't give him the "he didn't win a Super Bowl because he never had a running game" pass that some do, considering he didn't want a running game.  He imposed his will to the point that the team acquiesced to him and didn't even try to get him a running game (until Jimmy Johnson was his coach late in his career) because he didn't want one.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: May 13, 2017, 07:59:10 AM »
There are so many pros and cons.  The best I can say is I hated to face him as a Pats fan because of how he played against us and that is high praise. 

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #454 on: May 13, 2017, 12:21:57 PM »
And if titles mean everything, then Brady, Montana and Bradshaw are the best of the Super Bowl era, right?

On a certain level, I do believe this. TB's numbers weren't as pretty as most of the other guys that usually get mentioned as the greatest QB's, but his end results were impressive. I'd also add Bart Star into the conversation. His effectiveness just prior to the SB era, and at its beginning at the position is often over looked. Roger Staubach should be mentioned from that era as well.

However, there are certain guys that earned an exception. You can't do what Marino did year after year without being god-like. Had Elway not got the two at the end of his career he would have still been considered one of the greatest of all time by a long shot.

There are so few at the position that had a high degree of success over a long period of time. There's a short, but significant list of guys that deserve recognition.