Author Topic: Last movie you saw? v2.0  (Read 52455 times)

Offline faizoff

Re: Last movie you saw? v2.0
« Reply #1155 on: May 03, 2024, 09:56:13 PM »
The Fall Guy was such a hilarious fun comedy action movie chock full of 80s and 90s references. I never watched the 80s Fall Guy TV show but sorta figured it would have a lot of homages to it. There are some scenes I laughed so hard my ribs hurt like a mother fucker. The stunts are insane and I was expecting nothing less, the movie's a great love letter to the stunt people in the industry.  I'm going to try and watch it again if I can.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1156 on: May 04, 2024, 06:33:51 AM »
watched Missing (1982) last night. What a great movie. Jack Lemon and Sissy Spacek rule
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1157 on: May 10, 2024, 03:35:02 PM »
Just got home from seeing Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes. Thought it was really good!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1158 on: May 10, 2024, 06:54:50 PM »
watched Missing (1982) last night. What a great movie. Jack Lemon and Sissy Spacek rule

Wait!?!? Did the user Great Ape pass away? :(
« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 07:02:05 PM by Glasser »

« Reply #1159 on: May 10, 2024, 07:10:55 PM »
Wait!?!? Did the user Great Ape pass away? :(

I'm honestly not sure. I don't think they died IRL, but their account mysteriously vanished and it was never clear what happened. Either a ban or some kind of self-deletion, I guess. But if they were banned I never saw what/why. I did enjoy their posts, though.

EDIT: The fish filet McDonald's post was an all-timer.
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1160 on: May 10, 2024, 09:08:55 PM »
You’ve taken to capitalizing I notice . . .

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #1161 on: May 12, 2024, 06:01:50 AM »
Dune, Parts One and Two. Back to back in one sitting.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1162 on: Today at 07:08:29 AM »
Just got home from seeing Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes. Thought it was really good!

Can’t wait to see this. I’m surprised more people aren’t talking about it. I’m in the process of rewatching the trilogy in preparation to see it this weekend.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1163 on: Today at 10:03:53 AM »
Watched Jaws last night for the first time in ages. Yeah, it's Jaws. Not much more to say in terms of quality.

I looked something up (I'd never noticed the shooting star before) and stumbled across a reddit about whether or not Quint's recklessness is what doomed them (or at least him). It was an interesting consideration. Obviously Quint made things much worse for them, and likely led to his own demise, but I didn't think of him as reckless at all. Arrogant as all fuck, clearly, and that's what did him in, but not reckless. He was very experienced and knowledgeable about what they were doing. He had tactics that had always proven successful, and even Hooper recognized this. He relied on these tactics and revised them incrementally if they proved inadequate. He was also very aware of the consequences and risks, and took them seriously. He was not suicidal, or careless with anybody's life. He just greatly underestimated the scope of the problem, again due to arrogance. Even smashing the radio, one of his bigger blunders, was more about arrogance than carelessness. Recklessness to me is disregarding dangers while barrelling straight ahead. That was not Quint.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

« Reply #1164 on: Today at 10:16:06 AM »
watched Mad Max: Fury Road last night

what a crazy good action movie! excited for Furiosa!
Welcome to the Forums!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1165 on: Today at 10:29:14 AM »
Watched Jaws last night for the first time in ages. Yeah, it's Jaws. Not much more to say in terms of quality.

I looked something up (I'd never noticed the shooting star before) and stumbled across a reddit about whether or not Quint's recklessness is what doomed them (or at least him). It was an interesting consideration. Obviously Quint made things much worse for them, and likely led to his own demise, but I didn't think of him as reckless at all. Arrogant as all fuck, clearly, and that's what did him in, but not reckless. He was very experienced and knowledgeable about what they were doing. He had tactics that had always proven successful, and even Hooper recognized this. He relied on these tactics and revised them incrementally if they proved inadequate. He was also very aware of the consequences and risks, and took them seriously. He was not suicidal, or careless with anybody's life. He just greatly underestimated the scope of the problem, again due to arrogance. Even smashing the radio, one of his bigger blunders, was more about arrogance than carelessness. Recklessness to me is disregarding dangers while barrelling straight ahead. That was not Quint.

That's probably the most in-depth analysis of Jaws that I've ever read.  Not that I've read a whole lot of analyses about Jaws, since "it's just a movie about a big shark" but in general, I prefer even my brainless summer schlock to have a certain degree of intelligence about it, and you've pointed out how Jaws actually has that.  Most movies of this genre depend on the characters being idiots and making very poor decisions so the monster can eat them, or the murderer can murder them, or whatever horrible thing is going on, since it's a horror movie.  But back in the good old days, movies were reasonably intelligent even if they were just brainless summer schlock.  Those are the best ones.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1166 on: Today at 11:38:46 AM »
Asteroid City. Excellent cast but didn't make ANY sense to me.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1167 on: Today at 12:04:06 PM »
Jaws isn't really "just a movie about a big shark."  IMO it's one of the 10-20 best films ever made.  It's an incredibly well-crafted film.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1168 on: Today at 12:41:57 PM »
That's probably the most in-depth analysis of Jaws that I've ever read.  Not that I've read a whole lot of analyses about Jaws, since "it's just a movie about a big shark" but in general, I prefer even my brainless summer schlock to have a certain degree of intelligence about it, and you've pointed out how Jaws actually has that.  Most movies of this genre depend on the characters being idiots and making very poor decisions so the monster can eat them, or the murderer can murder them, or whatever horrible thing is going on, since it's a horror movie.  But back in the good old days, movies were reasonably intelligent even if they were just brainless summer schlock.  Those are the best ones.

Well...this describes very well pretty much every character in that movie other than the boat guy, the police guy and the science guy.  I don't know too many movies made before Jaws, but the whole "idiots belittle the smart/reasonable guy until it's too late" trope was EVERYWHERE in the late '70s and at its peak in the '80s.  It slowed down after that, but it's still around to some degree today.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1169 on: Today at 01:06:01 PM »
Jaws isn't really "just a movie about a big shark."  IMO it's one of the 10-20 best films ever made.  It's an incredibly well-crafted film.

That's why I put it in quotes, to emphsize that it's not how I personally feel about the film, but how it's generally perceived.  It gets lumped in with monster movies and horror movies and typical silliness, but it's definitely a cut above.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1170 on: Today at 01:13:11 PM »
That's why I put it in quotes, to emphsize that it's not how I personally feel about the film, but how it's generally perceived.  It gets lumped in with monster movies and horror movies and typical silliness, but it's definitely a cut above.
:tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.