Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 119456 times)

Offline OpenYourEyes311

I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Kram

Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #2871 on: January 19, 2024, 10:18:42 AM »
Just look at this thread as an example too.  MP clearly gets the conversation started.

I suppose, if you believe that "any press is good press".

Look, if these things don't matter to you I understand.  But for some of us they do and they need to be factored in when judging things that happened in some cases 20 or more years ago.
100% agree Stadler!  MP is what made them "special".

Offline Kocak

« Reply #2872 on: January 19, 2024, 11:00:02 AM »
Watching the Drumeo video, I realised something about MP that the rest of the band has been missing.

MM is the technically superior drummer and I think with him joining the band, the other instrumental members found their technical equivalent in the rhythm department. Progressive metal started as the collision of multiple genres, but I think, in the past ten years evolved into a showcase of instrumental proficiency for the most part.

With the departure of Mike Portnoy, Dream Theater lost their primary connection to the wider world of music. Being an avid fan for the last 25 years, I have watched and read many interviews. I always had the sense that the other instrumental members of Dream Theater did not have a wide musical horizon beyond the classics and some stuff here and there with MP once stating that since knowing him JP has introduced him to one band only, Muse. There was another interview where JM talked about listening to Death Cab for Cutie but they repeat the same influences over and over: Rush, Metallica, Iron Maiden etc. JLB listens to a wider array of music, but he's not involved in the writing of the music. The main writing duo (JP and JR) is rather limited when it comes to musical influences. Hell, JR toured with Animals as Leaders and has not heard (!) The Woven Web before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrrcbUAghQA

MP is in it for the love of music. In my opinion, he's the least technically proficient member of Dream Theater with a comparatively limited bag of tricks, but what he does is important: He connects the band to the wider world of music. I still believe that he has to step his game up for the next era of Dream Theater, but the musical connection is invaluable.

Some people love their instrument and see it as an extension of themselves and strive to become the most technically proficient player, which is okay, but the music suffers as a result of it. Especially in the case of Dream Theater, because they refuse to work with outside producers.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2873 on: January 19, 2024, 11:06:38 AM »
That's a great point

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2874 on: January 19, 2024, 11:11:03 AM »
Everything I like about those bands, DT takes to a different level.  And I'm sorry, no knock on Mike Mangini, phenomenal drummer and all around great guy, but when Portnoy left, they went from "God-tier" to "one of many really awesome bands".  I can safely say that other than a complete fluke, I will NEVER get to meet any of Genesis.  Or Sabbath.  Or The Beatles (even MIKE was thrilled to have met Sir Paul).  Even Maiden are not really fan-friendly in that way.   Mike?  I've met him several times.  They are very accessible.  Granted it's not always gone well, but there's actually a chance you can X or whatever a message to Mike and he will answer.  I have an experience I can't really share the details on, but they - the organization - KNOWS we exist and more or less CARES about us.  I was on the Genesis forum and the Phil Collins forum for a while and Phil made like one post, it was HIGHLY defensive and negative, and it was like "why bother"?    These other bands dabble, and DT delivered.   
Great post, and I want to piggyback off this point real quick. These days, it's not all that unusual to have some degree of access to your favorite artists. For example, if you like Matt Heafy, you can go on Twitter and feel some small connection with him by following his feed. But back in the day, this wasn't the case. It was exceedingly rare to have any window into your favorite bands, and Mike Portnoy granted fans that window and access. I can't describe how freaking cool it was that I could go to the Mike Portnoy Forum in 2005 or whatever and see him interacting with fans. That will always be a reason why DT are so special to me.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2875 on: January 19, 2024, 11:40:05 AM »
Really nice posts. And the experience can be a double-edged sword. In some ways, I'm really grateful for the experiences I've had with other bands, gaining a connection. But in other ways, I sincerely wished I didn't. It's very odd. Both for the band members, and for all of us fans.

I've never had any real interaction with Mike Portnoy. Seems like he's very like me, collector of lots of stuff, ocd, shoot from the hip get fired up (is this typical of we Long Islanders or what), etc. But while I am sure he'd be gracious, at this stage of my life, he's just a dude. He'd be cool to chat with and all (I'd love to talk gig history with him). But I'd be wary of getting TOO close *if* I had the opportunity to do so. That's happened with others, and I've regretted seeing the other side. That said, one of my closest friends is JP's neighbor, and from all accounts, while they aren't tight (he is very careful not to cross the line), JP knows how big a fan he is, and they've shared some cool moments, and JP knows him by name and they say hello all the time. That's cool, and tbh, I'm glad my buddy keeps things that level. Anything more might be odd.

Anyway, I am thrilled MP is back in Dream Theater. I loved how much he cares about the the band's history. Trust me when I say this -- it is very important when a band member actually cares about their band's historical legacy and does things to preserve it. Because not all of them do. MP always did things for fans because he IS a fan, and that is rarer than most people think.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline HOF

« Reply #2876 on: January 19, 2024, 11:40:59 AM »
I remember having some interactions with him the MP Forum, and it was always cool to know that he might pop into a random thread whenever and drop a comment.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2877 on: January 19, 2024, 11:46:25 AM »
I remember having some interactions with him the MP Forum, and it was always cool to know that he might pop into a random thread whenever and drop a comment.

Loved when he did that. Who knows, maybe he'll do it here at some point as things get rolling. I am sure he reads some of this stuff.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2878 on: January 19, 2024, 11:46:47 AM »
Everything I like about those bands, DT takes to a different level.  And I'm sorry, no knock on Mike Mangini, phenomenal drummer and all around great guy, but when Portnoy left, they went from "God-tier" to "one of many really awesome bands".  I can safely say that other than a complete fluke, I will NEVER get to meet any of Genesis.  Or Sabbath.  Or The Beatles (even MIKE was thrilled to have met Sir Paul).  Even Maiden are not really fan-friendly in that way.   Mike?  I've met him several times.  They are very accessible.  Granted it's not always gone well, but there's actually a chance you can X or whatever a message to Mike and he will answer.  I have an experience I can't really share the details on, but they - the organization - KNOWS we exist and more or less CARES about us.  I was on the Genesis forum and the Phil Collins forum for a while and Phil made like one post, it was HIGHLY defensive and negative, and it was like "why bother"?    These other bands dabble, and DT delivered.   
Great post, and I want to piggyback off this point real quick. These days, it's not all that unusual to have some degree of access to your favorite artists. For example, if you like Matt Heafy, you can go on Twitter and feel some small connection with him by following his feed. But back in the day, this wasn't the case. It was exceedingly rare to have any window into your favorite bands, and Mike Portnoy granted fans that window and access. I can't describe how freaking cool it was that I could go to the Mike Portnoy Forum in 2005 or whatever and see him interacting with fans. That will always be a reason why DT are so special to me.
How about interacting with the whole band backstage?  :biggrin:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2879 on: January 19, 2024, 12:15:08 PM »
I've never had any real interaction with Mike Portnoy. Seems like he's very like me, collector of lots of stuff, ocd, shoot from the hip get fired up (is this typical of we Long Islanders or what), etc. But while I am sure he'd be gracious, at this stage of my life, he's just a dude. He'd be cool to chat with and all (I'd love to talk gig history with him). But I'd be wary of getting TOO close *if* I had the opportunity to do so. That's happened with others, and I've regretted seeing the other side. That said, one of my closest friends is JP's neighbor, and from all accounts, while they aren't tight (he is very careful not to cross the line), JP knows how big a fan he is, and they've shared some cool moments, and JP knows him by name and they say hello all the time. That's cool, and tbh, I'm glad my buddy keeps things that level. Anything more might be odd.

Imagine being neighbour with JP. On one hand, you have easy, casual access to him, on the other hand, if you're being "too much of a fan", you're the asshole neighbour  :lol "we're a relatively unknown band if we talk on a mainstream scale, and I got one of our relatively few fan next door"  :lol

I'd like to chime in with some experience but alas, I never met the guys in "Dream Theater" - only James when he was touring solo in 2005. Absolutely nice, kind, attentive and down to earth. Great encounter!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #2880 on: January 19, 2024, 12:52:58 PM »
How about interacting with the whole band backstage?  :biggrin:
I thought what happens in Durham stays in Durham...
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #2881 on: January 19, 2024, 03:20:13 PM »
Yes, sometimes meeting your heroes isn't as good as expected, and I've had MANY instances through the years meeting many musical heroes. First time was in 1975 meeting Robert Plant and John Bonham in NYC. Robert was gracious, while JBJ...not so much "get the f*** away from me" :rollin).

In 1978 had a backstage pass for Aerosmith at Nassau Coliseum and was ABSOLUTELY AMAZED at how f'd up the toxic twins were (didn't get to meet rest of band as we got out of there pretty quickly)! Shook both of their hands but could not understand a word either was saying.

Then in 1979, I got a backstage pass for The WHO in Philly through a friend. Had a great time with Roger & Kenny (funny and personable), but Pete asked me for a fag (had zero idea he meant cigarette) and I thought he was asking me if I WAS A FAG and let's just say, he didn't appreciate my response of "F*** NO"! :loser: Also met John Entwistle for a minute, but he turned to me while talking to a GORGEOUS gal in underwear and roller blades and said, "buzz off mate, i'm trying to get a shag"! :rollin

In 1980, a buddy and myself went to a taping of an interview / comedy show hosted by Robert Klein (comedian). Both Steven Tyler & Tom Hamilton were there and hung out with them at aftershow party. Both were very cool, but all they were talking about to us was cocaine. :facepalm: Never having done it, I was bored.

In 1982, I met my absolute heroes, Queen, at a record signing in NYC. Although it was a quick hello and handshake (along with the requisite, "Oh my God, you guys are my idols" from me), they were all nice and friendly. Roger was the most talkative!

Fast forward ahead to 1992 when I "snuck" into an after party for Brian May after his solo band gig at the Beacon Theater. THAT was THE MOST WONDERFUL meeting I ever had with a hero. Spoke at length with him about the show, his band, all the times I saw Queen LIVE since '74, about meeting his parents at a Queen gig @ MSG in '78, etc. The man is a ROCK GOD and may have been the nicest, most humble person I'VE EVER MET! :hefdaddy

Now, regarding DT. Met MP a couple of times and he has always been gracious and pleasant to talk to (Also ran into Marlene and Melody at a few shows, both really nice people). Met the entire band in Tampa in 2003 after a show and they were all so cool. So basically, I've had some great, good & bad experiences, but NEVER have I lived next door to any! :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2882 on: January 19, 2024, 04:44:18 PM »
Then in 1979, I got a backstage pass for The WHO in Philly through a friend. Had a great time with Roger & Kenny (funny and personable), but Pete asked me for a fag (had zero idea he meant cigarette) and I thought he was asking me if I WAS A FAG and let's just say, he didn't appreciate my response of "F*** NO"! :loser: Also met John Entwistle for a minute, but he turned to me while talking to a GORGEOUS gal in underwear and roller blades and said, "buzz off mate, i'm trying to get a shag"! :rollin

Speaking as someone who obviously wasn't there, the highlighted are the absolute best parts of this!  That's fucking awesome!!   :rollin
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #2883 on: January 19, 2024, 06:47:45 PM »
Watching the Drumeo video, I realised something about MP that the rest of the band has been missing.

MM is the technically superior drummer and I think with him joining the band, the other instrumental members found their technical equivalent in the rhythm department. Progressive metal started as the collision of multiple genres, but I think, in the past ten years evolved into a showcase of instrumental proficiency for the most part.

With the departure of Mike Portnoy, Dream Theater lost their primary connection to the wider world of music. Being an avid fan for the last 25 years, I have watched and read many interviews. I always had the sense that the other instrumental members of Dream Theater did not have a wide musical horizon beyond the classics and some stuff here and there with MP once stating that since knowing him JP has introduced him to one band only, Muse. There was another interview where JM talked about listening to Death Cab for Cutie but they repeat the same influences over and over: Rush, Metallica, Iron Maiden etc. JLB listens to a wider array of music, but he's not involved in the writing of the music. The main writing duo (JP and JR) is rather limited when it comes to musical influences. Hell, JR toured with Animals as Leaders and has not heard (!) The Woven Web before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrrcbUAghQA

MP is in it for the love of music. In my opinion, he's the least technically proficient member of Dream Theater with a comparatively limited bag of tricks, but what he does is important: He connects the band to the wider world of music. I still believe that he has to step his game up for the next era of Dream Theater, but the musical connection is invaluable.

Some people love their instrument and see it as an extension of themselves and strive to become the most technically proficient player, which is okay, but the music suffers as a result of it. Especially in the case of Dream Theater, because they refuse to work with outside producers.

It's an interesting proposition. But I don't think that what the band fundamentally was about changed with Mike Mangini. I think his abilities brought out things in the rest of the bands playing but JP was the same player before and after MM. You bring up a valid theory - that JP and JR were the primary song writers and this limited the band. I think that may have been true at some points.   

At the end of the day, I'd be surprised by someone who thought the reason they stopped liking DT in 2011 was because Mike Mangini made DT (of all bands!) too technical. Technicality is probably the one word most fans would agree is a core element of what they do.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2884 on: January 19, 2024, 07:25:02 PM »
I certainly never thought of MP as limiting DT technically while he was in the band. I do think JR joining DT did push them a little too far on the technical side at the expense of the songwriting side. Maybe MM pushed them even further, but I couldn't really say.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2885 on: January 19, 2024, 07:33:53 PM »
I certainly never thought of MP as limiting DT technically while he was in the band. I do think JR joining DT did push them a little too far on the technical side at the expense of the songwriting side. Maybe MM pushed them even further, but I couldn't really say.

Well, if you're considering JR replacing Kevin Moore, then maybe, because the group of songs written while Derek was in the band weren't all that great on the whole. They had neither the technicality of the JR era nor the gracefulness of the KM era.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #2886 on: January 19, 2024, 09:06:48 PM »

Well, if you're considering JR replacing Kevin Moore, then maybe, because the group of songs written while Derek was in the band weren't all that great on the whole. They had neither the technicality of the JR era nor the gracefulness of the KM era.

I don’t know how much of that had to do with DS per se (he wasn’t one of the main writers I don’t think), but I do think the FII songs that are more DS driven (Lines in the Sand, Anna Lee) are the kinds of things that JR would never be able to write. He’s just not from that more Elton John/Beatles/jazz fusion school of playing.

But my point is just that they did bring JR in to the band specifically because they felt he took them to another level technically. I think that did push the writing in a different direction. Maybe it would have gone that way with Derek in the band too, who can say.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 09:19:48 PM by HOF »

Offline Kocak

« Reply #2887 on: January 20, 2024, 02:58:34 AM »

It's an interesting proposition. But I don't think that what the band fundamentally was about changed with Mike Mangini. I think his abilities brought out things in the rest of the bands playing but JP was the same player before and after MM. You bring up a valid theory - that JP and JR were the primary song writers and this limited the band. I think that may have been true at some points.   

At the end of the day, I'd be surprised by someone who thought the reason they stopped liking DT in 2011 was because Mike Mangini made DT (of all bands!) too technical. Technicality is probably the one word most fans would agree is a core element of what they do.

I don't think MM made DT too technical. What I meant was, the instrumental components of DT cared more about maximising their instrumental ability than the music itself. So, the music suffered - sonically and from a composition standpoint, in my opinion. Technical ability matters, but done in the context of a great composition, otherwise it's just virtuoso wankery. I have argued in the past and I still do that some of the Dream Theater songs are just promotional material for JP to sell more Music Man JP guitars, like the 8-string one. That song was written because there was an 8-string guitar coming out, not because that particular composition needed extra range.

There's this interview where Steven Wilson talks about Guthrie Govan. He praises his ability, but points that he encouraged him to play with less notes. Some of Guthrie's best solo work is on the "Hand. Cannot. Erase." album as a result.

There is an undeniable Dream Theater formula, but with production and music making itself becoming more accessible, Dream Theater has to stand out in different ways now. They cannot just rely on the "original kings of prog metal" label.

I have always been of the opinion that DT needs outside producers. I think there's zero possibility of them going that route, but one can dream.

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #2888 on: January 20, 2024, 05:38:05 AM »
when Portnoy left, they went from "God-tier" to "one of many really awesome bands"

Respectfully I see it as just the opposite. I would never refer to SC or BCSL as "God-tier", but AVFTTOTW is 100% "God-tier". Of course this is subjective and just my opinion (and I do appreciate your pointing out how MP cares about the fans - that is important).

I don't think MM made DT too technical. What I meant was, the instrumental components of DT cared more about maximising their instrumental ability than the music itself. So, the music suffered - sonically and from a composition standpoint, in my opinion.

I find it hard to believe that this band ever did not put "the music itself" as the utmost priority.

There is an undeniable Dream Theater formula, but with production and music making itself becoming more accessible, Dream Theater has to stand out in different ways now.

And I would say that the technical proficiency is the way that they stand out. It's become an integral part of their branding. I expect a Dream Theater song to sound like a Dream Theater song. And to my ears, that means it's a song that well surpasses everything else in its sheer technicality and musical perfection.

There are other bands that I love just as much, but for different reasons. They are just as amazing in different ways and their music moves me in different ways, perhaps with a more heartfelt or visceral reaction, but they are not as technically perfect and precise. That particular crown goes to DT, and music like theirs brings a different kind of joy.

I have always been of the opinion that DT needs outside producers.

Wait, isn't that how we ended up with FII? 😖

Offline efx

« Reply #2889 on: January 20, 2024, 05:56:20 AM »
Sure, the outside producer not working angle gets used a lot in connection to FII (which I like as an album a lot) but an outside producer was used for I&W, Awake and ACOS as well so I personally quite like the idea of it :)

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2890 on: January 20, 2024, 06:06:09 AM »
We ended up with FII with label pressure. It's not that the label greenlighted them a very intense and not marketable prog album, and Kevin Shirley showed up and said "No lol let's make easier songs and let's call Desmond Child".

Also, I'd daresay that the suggestions from Kevin Shirley were good. What was the point of stopping a generic hard rock song in the middle to go for a completely unrelated moody instrumental? hey, thank the outside producer for having Hell's Kitchen. It's not that he told them to drop the slow part into Lines of the Sand, the "we fabricate our demons" stanza that ends up in the emotional climax of the song, the "in the stream of consciousness...." part. He told them to keep a simple song straight and to the point.

Anyway, the label pressure made the band suffer a lot, to the point that they wowed to make their do or die album after that, without outside producers of course, and they hit the jackpot with Scenes from a Memory.

I believe these two events basically set them in their ways, and they were one so negative and one so positive that their perception of the situation with producers forever changed.

The fact that Falling Into Infinity suffered from label interference does not mean that working with an outside producer is evil and would damage them. Also, the fact that without an external producer they managed to create a goddamn masterpiece and one of the best albums ever in the entire history of mankind does not mean they don't need, or would have not ever needed again, the counsel of an outside producer that gets them, their music and is there to offer useful advice.

For example: we debated endlessly about A Nightmare to Remember, what to do with the growling part, how the second half of the song seems to meander a bit etc etc..... those are all things that a dedicated producer who understands and respects their music (and is not told by the label "give us a hit single") would have absolutely guided them through.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline HOF

« Reply #2891 on: January 20, 2024, 07:21:01 AM »
My impression from the Lifting Shadows book is that the experience working with David Prater on I&W and ACOS was much worse than with Kevin Shirley on FII. I know MP disagreed with some of the stylistic suggestions like what he did on TAMP, but they weren’t coming to the point of physical blows with each other I don’t think. I know JP has spoken positively of the experience of working with KS, and they continued to do so in a mixing role for several more albums. I think the greater issue on FII was just how the label forced them to keep writing so long and refusing to green light the record until they heard a hit (that never came in part because the label didn’t care enough to promote it), making them work with Desmond Child, etc.

All that to say, I think not wanting to work with producers ran deeper than just the experience with Kevin Shirley on FII, and the reaction to FII was more about just taking total creative control of their music going forward without any record company interference or outside producer telling them what their music should be. I understand the desire to do that and think it was necessary for them to make an album like SFAM totally their way.

But I still think they are a band who have done their best work with outside producers, and it’s a shame they never found their George Martin/Terry Brown/Dave Meegan who could be like the 6th member of the band who they could really rely on as an outside ear/voice.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 07:27:01 AM by HOF »

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2892 on: January 20, 2024, 07:41:40 AM »
I don't think MM made DT too technical. What I meant was, the instrumental components of DT cared more about maximising their instrumental ability than the music itself. So, the music suffered - sonically and from a composition standpoint, in my opinion. Technical ability matters, but done in the context of a great composition, otherwise it's just virtuoso wankery. I have argued in the past and I still do that some of the Dream Theater songs are just promotional material for JP to sell more Music Man JP guitars, like the 8-string one. That song was written because there was an 8-string guitar coming out, not because that particular composition needed extra range.

While I'm the first one to argue that JP has turned into a salesman more than a musician (new guitars each year, amps, plugins, bourbon, beard oil, you name it) I don't think they're actively writing music just to sell more complimentary products. I still think (maybe a bit naive on my part) their music writing actually comes from a genuine place and not from a business standpoint. I'd say it's probably the *only* aspect of the band that hasn't become part of a corporate monster (yet), IMO.
If that was the case, we would've never gotten something like The Astonishing :lol

Sure, the music industry as a whole sucks and they have to resort to selling all sorts of stuff and branching out to get at least some revenue, but I wouldn't go as far as saying some of their music is just a means to get the new Majesty whatever guitar in the hands of more people. Like I said, maybe I'm just naive :P
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

• PR permission
« Reply #2893 on: January 20, 2024, 07:48:15 AM »

There's this interview where Steven Wilson talks about Guthrie Govan. He praises his ability, but points that he encouraged him to play with less notes. Some of Guthrie's best solo work is on the "Hand. Cannot. Erase." album as a result.

There is an undeniable Dream Theater formula, but with production and music making itself becoming more accessible, Dream Theater has to stand out in different ways now. They cannot just rely on the "original kings of prog metal" label.

I have always been of the opinion that DT needs outside producers. I think there's zero possibility of them going that route, but one can dream.

I guess we just disagree. I think Awaken the Master is an awesome track. What determines whether a song 'needs' the extended range at the end of the day? Maybe it really was first and foremost about selling guitars but how are you so sure that he wasn't curious or inspired by a new instrument and that this was the primary driver of this song? 8 string guitars have blossomed in popularity in the last years, the same was 7 strings were when Awake came out. How is the 8 string situation any different from what he did on Awake?

Offline Kocak

« Reply #2894 on: January 21, 2024, 04:39:41 AM »

I guess we just disagree. I think Awaken the Master is an awesome track. What determines whether a song 'needs' the extended range at the end of the day? Maybe it really was first and foremost about selling guitars but how are you so sure that he wasn't curious or inspired by a new instrument and that this was the primary driver of this song? 8 string guitars have blossomed in popularity in the last years, the same was 7 strings were when Awake came out. How is the 8 string situation any different from what he did on Awake?

It's okay to disagree. No hard feelings. Awaken the Master would have never been written if there wasn't an 8-string JP guitar coming out. The song just follows the same DT songwriting formula. There's a difference between composing something and then deciding that it'd benefit from a change of equipment etc. and needing a soundtrack for promotional videos. JP is wildly successful with his signature line, as it is the second best selling signature guitar in the world after Gibson's Les Paul line. I wish him all the more success. The difference with the Awake era is the change in the music industry: Musicians now rely on ancilliary revenue, rather than the music royalties. So it is normal to concentrate on other stuff.

While I'm the first one to argue that JP has turned into a salesman more than a musician (new guitars each year, amps, plugins, bourbon, beard oil, you name it) I don't think they're actively writing music just to sell more complimentary products. I still think (maybe a bit naive on my part) their music writing actually comes from a genuine place and not from a business standpoint. I'd say it's probably the *only* aspect of the band that hasn't become part of a corporate monster (yet), IMO.
If that was the case, we would've never gotten something like The Astonishing :lol

Sure, the music industry as a whole sucks and they have to resort to selling all sorts of stuff and branching out to get at least some revenue, but I wouldn't go as far as saying some of their music is just a means to get the new Majesty whatever guitar in the hands of more people. Like I said, maybe I'm just naive :P

There's this Bumblefoot quote: "Musicians are travelling t-shirt salesman now." - And I agree with this. I understand why professional musicians concentrate on income diversification, as they have to make a living. As a result, the music itself, purely because it cannot sustain an individual or a family, takes a backseat. The 2000 to 2010 era, with the changing landscape of the music industry, was the start of this for Dream Theater. The albums became more formulaic and the new releases were an excuse to announce a new tour, so they can make a living. Again, this is understandable. Post-2010 and and post-pandemic era intensified this trend even further. I have been working as an audio engineer for the past 15 years now, I have never done any other job in my life and one of my jobs is to go on tour with the bands and I know that it is hard for the majority of tours to break even right now, let along make a profit.

It is okay and necessary for JP to diversify his income, but the music inevitably suffers. How much effort would you put into something if you knew that the returns are going to be dismal?

The Astonishing, in my opinion, was the proof for JP that the fanbase won't bite everything that they put out. It was a failed experiment. Same thing happened to MP after he left DT: He thought that he had a fanbase, he even talked about "Mike Portnoy as a brand" in multiple interviews, but the fanbase did not follow him to all his different experiments over the last 13 years. The "MP Warriors" turned out to be a small subset of the DT fanbase.

when Portnoy left, they went from "God-tier" to "one of many really awesome bands"

Respectfully I see it as just the opposite. I would never refer to SC or BCSL as "God-tier", but AVFTTOTW is 100% "God-tier". Of course this is subjective and just my opinion (and I do appreciate your pointing out how MP cares about the fans - that is important).

I don't think MM made DT too technical. What I meant was, the instrumental components of DT cared more about maximising their instrumental ability than the music itself. So, the music suffered - sonically and from a composition standpoint, in my opinion.

I find it hard to believe that this band ever did not put "the music itself" as the utmost priority.

There is an undeniable Dream Theater formula, but with production and music making itself becoming more accessible, Dream Theater has to stand out in different ways now.

And I would say that the technical proficiency is the way that they stand out. It's become an integral part of their branding. I expect a Dream Theater song to sound like a Dream Theater song. And to my ears, that means it's a song that well surpasses everything else in its sheer technicality and musical perfection.

There are other bands that I love just as much, but for different reasons. They are just as amazing in different ways and their music moves me in different ways, perhaps with a more heartfelt or visceral reaction, but they are not as technically perfect and precise. That particular crown goes to DT, and music like theirs brings a different kind of joy.

There can be sheer technicality indeed, but I reckon musical perfection and creativity has been lacking in terms of composition and musical ideas.

I don't think FII is a bad album, but on that album, the control freak nature of the dominant members of the band clashed with what the label wanted from them, based on the 90's music industry circumstances. Kevin Shirley is a great producer, I love his work from a sonic standpoint, but it is also incredibly hard to balance band expectations with the label ones. The band continued to work with Shirley as a mixing engineer, so their personal experiences with him could not have been that bad. Some bands and albums are the creative brainchild of a single individual, but some bands need help seeing the bigger picture. I think, since SFAM, DT has been in the second category, but that is just my opinion.

Sure, the outside producer not working angle gets used a lot in connection to FII (which I like as an album a lot) but an outside producer was used for I&W, Awake and ACOS as well so I personally quite like the idea of it :)

There are different scopes in terms of production. If the boundaries are set well between the band and the producer before the start of the process, I think it could do wonders for Dream Theater.

We ended up with FII with label pressure. It's not that the label greenlighted them a very intense and not marketable prog album, and Kevin Shirley showed up and said "No lol let's make easier songs and let's call Desmond Child".

Also, I'd daresay that the suggestions from Kevin Shirley were good. What was the point of stopping a generic hard rock song in the middle to go for a completely unrelated moody instrumental? hey, thank the outside producer for having Hell's Kitchen. It's not that he told them to drop the slow part into Lines of the Sand, the "we fabricate our demons" stanza that ends up in the emotional climax of the song, the "in the stream of consciousness...." part. He told them to keep a simple song straight and to the point.

Anyway, the label pressure made the band suffer a lot, to the point that they wowed to make their do or die album after that, without outside producers of course, and they hit the jackpot with Scenes from a Memory.

I believe these two events basically set them in their ways, and they were one so negative and one so positive that their perception of the situation with producers forever changed.

The fact that Falling Into Infinity suffered from label interference does not mean that working with an outside producer is evil and would damage them. Also, the fact that without an external producer they managed to create a goddamn masterpiece and one of the best albums ever in the entire history of mankind does not mean they don't need, or would have not ever needed again, the counsel of an outside producer that gets them, their music and is there to offer useful advice.

For example: we debated endlessly about A Nightmare to Remember, what to do with the growling part, how the second half of the song seems to meander a bit etc etc..... those are all things that a dedicated producer who understands and respects their music (and is not told by the label "give us a hit single") would have absolutely guided them through.

Some bands need an outside influence to keep things tidy and I agree that Kevin Shirley has actually done a good job with what he had for FII. I think, given the control freak nature of JP and MP at the time, they needed an excuse to never subordinate to anyone ever again and they were given the perfect one in the form of FII.

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2895 on: January 21, 2024, 08:08:16 AM »
It's okay to disagree. No hard feelings. Awaken the Master would have never been written if there wasn't an 8-string JP guitar coming out. The song just follows the same DT songwriting formula. There's a difference between composing something and then deciding that it'd benefit from a change of equipment etc. and needing a soundtrack for promotional videos. JP is wildly successful with his signature line, as it is the second best selling signature guitar in the world after Gibson's Les Paul line. I wish him all the more success. The difference with the Awake era is the change in the music industry: Musicians now rely on ancilliary revenue, rather than the music royalties. So it is normal to concentrate on other stuff.

I mean JP has talked for years about wanting to experiment with an 8 string guitar and that he wanted his first time playing one to be in the studio just as his first time playing with a 7 string was in the studio for the Awake sessions. Given how popular his EB signature line is, of course they were going to release a commercial 8 string version once they had a prototype that John was happy with nailed down. Still though, it's a bit of a leap to then say that Awaken the Master was written as marketing material.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline efx

« Reply #2896 on: January 21, 2024, 09:59:36 AM »

I mean JP has talked for years about wanting to experiment with an 8 string guitar and that he wanted his first time playing one to be in the studio just as his first time playing with a 7 string was in the studio for the Awake sessions. Given how popular his EB signature line is, of course they were going to release a commercial 8 string version once they had a prototype that John was happy with nailed down. Still though, it's a bit of a leap to then say that Awaken the Master was written as marketing material.
I agree with this. If it was more of a marketing thing he'd have done more promotion for it. As stands now it was one song on the album, some early interviews about it but it's hardly something he's pushing.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2897 on: January 21, 2024, 10:33:29 AM »

There's this Bumblefoot quote: "Musicians are travelling t-shirt salesman now." - And I agree with this. I understand why professional musicians concentrate on income diversification, as they have to make a living. As a result, the music itself, purely because it cannot sustain an individual or a family, takes a backseat. The 2000 to 2010 era, with the changing landscape of the music industry, was the start of this for Dream Theater. The albums became more formulaic and the new releases were an excuse to announce a new tour, so they can make a living. Again, this is understandable. Post-2010 and and post-pandemic era intensified this trend even further. I have been working as an audio engineer for the past 15 years now, I have never done any other job in my life and one of my jobs is to go on tour with the bands and I know that it is hard for the majority of tours to break even right now, let along make a profit.

It is okay and necessary for JP to diversify his income, but the music inevitably suffers. How much effort would you put into something if you knew that the returns are going to be dismal?

The Astonishing, in my opinion, was the proof for JP that the fanbase won't bite everything that they put out. It was a failed experiment. Same thing happened to MP after he left DT: He thought that he had a fanbase, he even talked about "Mike Portnoy as a brand" in multiple interviews, but the fanbase did not follow him to all his different experiments over the last 13 years. The "MP Warriors" turned out to be a small subset of the DT fanbase.

There can be sheer technicality indeed, but I reckon musical perfection and creativity has been lacking in terms of composition and musical ideas.

I don't think FII is a bad album, but on that album, the control freak nature of the dominant members of the band clashed with what the label wanted from them, based on the 90's music industry circumstances. Kevin Shirley is a great producer, I love his work from a sonic standpoint, but it is also incredibly hard to balance band expectations with the label ones. The band continued to work with Shirley as a mixing engineer, so their personal experiences with him could not have been that bad. Some bands and albums are the creative brainchild of a single individual, but some bands need help seeing the bigger picture. I think, since SFAM, DT has been in the second category, but that is just my opinion.

There are different scopes in terms of production. If the boundaries are set well between the band and the producer before the start of the process, I think it could do wonders for Dream Theater.

Some bands need an outside influence to keep things tidy and I agree that Kevin Shirley has actually done a good job with what he had for FII. I think, given the control freak nature of JP and MP at the time, they needed an excuse to never subordinate to anyone ever again and they were given the perfect one in the form of FII.

Fantastic post.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2898 on: January 21, 2024, 04:31:48 PM »
Such a complex quote pyramid. Lots of cool points here and there for which I will share my two cents:

1) I don’t think Dream Theater, as a unit, were looking for something “different” when MM joined the band. The increase in their technical proficiency in their prog metal compositions was not as keen as some of you put it out. Sure, there are some pieces of music that are still as complex as they come to this day (Outcry’s instrumental section comes to mind), but form, emotion and melody have always been the priority. If anything, they’ve really tried to constrain their longer song forms (BCSL) into shorter, more concise pieces of music. People seem really eager, sometimes, to think of technicality and “feeling” or emotion as two separate entities in the art of writing music, which is something I don’t agree with. It’s like saying that a Paganini caprice is not an emotional piece of music because it’s as technical as Romantic violinistic writing goes.

2) I don’t think The Astonishing was a “failed experiment”, as it was proposed at some point. What’s the data from which you draw that conclusion besides your own subjective perception? Sales? Critical reception? Reviews? The way that fans endlessly need to boycott every internet discussion place to state that they do no like the album? True, the tour was cut short, but that was only expected given the circumstances of the band. DT is not going to have another Pull Me Under or another Scenes from a Memory at this point in their careers (maybe they’re gonna shoot close to the mark with their next Portnoy album, but who knows?).

3) It’s entirely true that MP is, by far, the most involved “music fan” in Dream Theater and will always be. That definitely adds something of a historical framework to DT’s sound, but I don’t think it’s as relevant to their sound nowadays. If anything, the constant references to other bands really turned some people off (me included) in their 2005-2010 output. Also, I was never really into the whole “let’s cover an entire album” thing. I mean, if I go to a Dream Theater concert I want to hear Dream Theater, not Dream Theater plays *x* band and that was a super Portnoy thing TBH. Also, not recognizing an Animals as Leaders tune is really not indicative of anything. True, they’re not entirely aware of what’s happening in the scene, but do they really need to be that aware?

4) Why would Awaken the Master be written as a sales ploy for Music Man? That’s just plain wrong and really unknowledgable of how brand endorsements work.

5) If anything, I feel that Pornoy’s return is like putting a puzzle piece back into the frame and making it feel as right as it can possibly feel. It’s more of a chemistry thing and the band wanting to finish off their careers and ride into their sunset in their ultimate formation. I can totally get along with that, but I really cannot imagine the next album to be radically different to what the band in their 2011-2022 era, in the same way that ADTOE was a very musical, yet slightly different, continuation of the band’s 2010s sound.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

• PR permission
« Reply #2899 on: January 21, 2024, 06:21:48 PM »
I get not liking a song but I don't get insisting the only reason it exists is to sell a new product. There's just no reason to believe that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2900 on: January 21, 2024, 06:34:35 PM »
I won't behoove a band for making a living. They gotta do what they gotta do. As a fan, I can always choose to spend my dollar or not.

One of the issues I had in the MM Era is that when MP left, the fan engagement basically ended. The only time you'd ever hear from JP was to pump new gear.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• PR permission
« Reply #2901 on: January 21, 2024, 06:50:24 PM »
What is some of the fan interaction that people are expecting to get with MP that was not happening in the MM era?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2902 on: January 21, 2024, 06:59:53 PM »
What is some of the fan interaction that people are expecting to get with MP that was not happening in the MM era?

Well, MP was always more accessible. He was an active user on his website, and he would give an insight into the band. MP just seemed to have a good understanding of what it means to be a fan.  The thing is, all of the guys have such engaging personalities, but they only seemed to poke their heads out of the ground if they had something to sell. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I'm a fan, not a consumer. MP understood this, where it doesn't seem to be something JP grasped.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2903 on: January 21, 2024, 07:15:56 PM »

Well, MP was always more accessible. He was an active user on his website, and he would give an insight into the band. MP just seemed to have a good understanding of what it means to be a fan.  The thing is, all of the guys have such engaging personalities, but they only seemed to poke their heads out of the ground if they had something to sell. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I'm a fan, not a consumer. MP understood this, where it doesn't seem to be something JP grasped.

You're gonna buy beard oil and you're gonna fucking like it!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2904 on: January 21, 2024, 07:21:46 PM »
The LTE song "Your Beard Is Good" was actually a secret advertisement for JP's beard oil.