Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 119508 times)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #2100 on: November 29, 2023, 02:26:23 PM »
In the Q&A he said "I'm open to it of course... I surely would do it if that's what they want to do" and "whatever they want to do I'm up for it" before continuing on to say that he looks forward to revisiting the old stuff. In fact he says three times that he'll do the newer stuff "if they want." It's pretty clear that it's not something he is going to advocate for. I get what you guys are saying that his non-committal attitude has led to unwarranted pre-emptive disappointment about DT playing or not playing certain songs, but at the same time, Portnoy isn't really being that coy about what he's interested in doing. Doesn't mean Mangini songs are off the table (quite the opposite in fact), but I get being concerned that if Portnoy is writing the setlists again, he's not going to get a lot of pushback from within the band if he doesn't include any Mangini era material.

I do hope he sits down and listens to the other 5 albums if he hasn't already - I actually think it could lead to some fun choices if Portnoy clicks with certain songs that did not get a lot of attention at the time. And lets be real, despite his attitude while he was out of the band, the music post-Portnoy didn't really change all that much. If he's actually a fan of the type of music Dream Theater makes (and I have no doubt he is), he's probably going to love a lot of stuff from that era. Is anyone here going to doubt that Portnoy would've loved The Looking Glass if it was written while he was in the band? Or A View From the Top of the World? Heck, he probably would have even been all in on The Astonishing.

Considering Space Dye Vest and The Shattered Fortress(!!) were both played live for the first time without Portnoy in the band, I don't think it's really going to be weird at all if a Mangini era song is premiered without Mangini playing on it. I hope it happens. One of my favorite things about DT in the Portnoy years was that they had covered most of their discography live. I hope they keep that up.

It feels like there were some missed opportunities when they brought back the "evening with" format in 2014. I don't mean this as a complaint as I loved every Evening With show I saw and thought they did a remarkable job creating a cool flow with the setlists. But every single Evening With tour dedicated a significant portion to focusing on a particular album to varying degrees. 2014's second set was all about Awake and Scenes, then they did The Astonishing in its entirety, then Images and Words and Scenes in their entirety. IMO this absolutely affected the selection of songs and boxed them in a bit. If the Distance Over Time tour hadn't been set up the way it was, we probably would have gotten more songs from that album. Again, not a complaint, but I do hope that if these Evening With tours come back, they do more of a career spanning grab bag ala 2003-2004 which would open up more room to pull out some Mangini era deep cuts. If they stick to single set performances or do Evening With where an entire album is being played live, considering that there will be a new album to choose from I really doubt they are going even have room to include a lot of Mangini era stuff. They weren't doing that when Mangini was in the band.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #2101 on: November 29, 2023, 02:28:12 PM »
There was a tweet/social media post some time ago where MP shared a snapshot of his playlist.....and....Illumination Theory was on there. I could see him wanting to tackle that one.

Pog

You mean "pics or gtfo"? If so, here's proof https://twitter.com/mikeportnoy/status/1078446460528676864?lang=en (sorry if I misinterpreted "pog"!)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2102 on: November 29, 2023, 02:30:55 PM »
There was a tweet/social media post some time ago where MP shared a snapshot of his playlist.....and....Illumination Theory was on there. I could see him wanting to tackle that one.

Pog

You mean "pics or gtfo"? If so, here's proof https://twitter.com/mikeportnoy/status/1078446460528676864?lang=en (sorry if I misinterpreted "pog"!)

Pog is Twitch-speak for something that is cool or good. Yes, I am a degenerate.

Info still appreciated.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2103 on: November 29, 2023, 02:32:30 PM »
As much as MP-less DT wasn't as adept at audience engagement with peripheral content as MP was, there has been a history of some pretty entertaining extra-album content. I remember a collective video chat moderated by Weymolith before the release of the self-titled album that was truly fun and brought context about some tracks (I remember Jordan playing the "easter egg" section from the end of Illumination Theory, for instance). And before the release of DoT they did a series of Instagram stories and had JP and JR "sing" their favorite riffs from the album (I think JP sang his part on the Room 137 riff and JR sang something from Pale Blue Dot I believe). So it's not like they didn't try.

I think there's some truth to this, sure. And the lead up to The Astonishing, with the emails and stuff was really interesting. They've also released some pretty good interview footage with some guy before each of the last two albums. But a press campaign for a new release is the bare minimum, no?

I do have to give Jordan credit because he does a lot of stuff on his youtube channel, so there's that, but I want to hear the guys talk about the band.

The problem, to me, is that this Q&A is all we have to go on to get any glimpse of what the hell is going on in DT world. I thought they'd give Mangini 30 days post announcement, and then BAM, JP does an interview, or MP goes on Eddie Trunk.
How come no one in the band, and I'm looking at JP, has not come out and addressed the fan base in any way. When do they start work on the new album? Any tour visions? Anything? To me, he's kind of letting MP's comments get ravaged over with assumptions on both sides. Am I the only one that is offput by this?

Along the lines of what Cram said, I don't think the band feels there is anything more to communicate at this point.  We know Mike Portnoy is back in the band as the drummer, and that they will be going into the studio at some point to begin work on a new album.  I don't see that there is any more news to announce.  The fact that some fans may want more information does not necessarily mean there is a need for more information. 

So no engagement until there's an album or a tour to announce? Then nothing's really changed. There's nothing to communicate is kind of a ...I don't want to call it a cop out, but no one has answered any questions on the whole thing besides MP at the RRFC. Does JP only poke his head out of the sand when there's something to sell?

Fans are excited, even returning. There's LOTS to talk about. Sounds like no one wants to take questions and it would appear to me that they're ducking. I bleed Dream Theater so I'm not a negative nelly on them, but that's my opinion. It's frustrating. Left hangin' I guess.

The setlist conversation, while on the surface appears to be beating a dead horse, but to me it's symbolic for a number of reasons.

1. The one thing I thought JP excelled at in picking up MP's absence was..writing a setlist. I thought his setlists in the MM Era were excellent, and covered a ton of ground. Playing rare songs? DLPM? SDV? Check and check. If MP wants to write the setlists, great, but it's not like some glaring need in the band that has gone unfulfilled.

2. JP and JR were abundantly clear on how much they did not like rotating setlists. Particularly JR who came across pretty strongly, I seem to remember. Are they going back?
They did try a sort of hybrid with a Set A and Set B on the ADTOE tour, and switching Paralyzed and FITL on the DoT tour.

3. The songs they decide to play or not ultimately will decide how "I" view the band.  Will they be a vibrant current band or a nostalgia act?

4. And MP's answer at the RRFC.. I know, we can't jump to too many conclusions on what he actually said, but I gotta be honest. When I broke down what he said, it gave me pause. But that's ME and how "I" took it. I'm not in a position to tell anyone what he meant or how he feels, just how those comments made ME feel.

I also have a strong sense, based on nothing except my perception that they want to create something truly special on #16, that the first proper tour will be #16 in its entirety.  And then set 2 will be some classics and 1 or 2 from MM's era.

Works for me!!!

Someone needs to find this!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2104 on: November 29, 2023, 02:34:20 PM »

Pog

Cool..err..pog! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2105 on: November 29, 2023, 02:44:45 PM »

Pog

Cool..err..pog! ;D

Good work
Over and over again

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2106 on: November 29, 2023, 02:54:49 PM »
1. The one thing I thought JP excelled at in picking up MP's absence was..writing a setlist. I thought his setlists in the MM Era were excellent, and covered a ton of ground. Playing rare songs? DLPM? SDV? Check and check. If MP wants to write the setlists, great, but it's not like some glaring need in the band that has gone unfulfilled.
In general I agree with your post about JP putting together a varied setlist. But your point about playing rare songs? Only kinda. Yes, they did SDVest which was cool, and they did bring back both TLF and DLPM for the final leg of the IWaB tour, but both were cut before they even finished the tour because JP was disappointed in the response they got. Had it been MP, he would've stuck with the songs in the setlist, audience response be damned (after all, there was plenty else for the majority of the audience to go crazy for).
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2107 on: November 29, 2023, 02:56:46 PM »
In general I agree with your post about JP putting together a varied setlist. But your point about playing rare songs? Only kinda. Yes, they did SDVest which was cool, and they did bring back both TLF and DLPM for the final leg of the IWaB tour, but both were cut before they even finished the tour because JP was disappointed in the response they got. Had it been MP, he would've stuck with the songs in the setlist, audience response be damned (after all, there was plenty else for the majority of the audience to go crazy for).

Sure, that may be true, but I was just pointing out that at least JP was willing to entertain playing the rare song, because I think while MP rightly deserves credit for that kind of thing, it's not like JP never did it.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #2108 on: November 29, 2023, 03:36:49 PM »
Someone needs to find this!!

Here's a silly thought:  What if MP hasn't picked up some of the recent DT albums?  Since it took him 12 or 13 years to see DT live, is it possible he skipped out on buying some of the MM-era albums?  Probably not likely, but it would be interesting if his first listen of an album was to learn some of the MM drum tracks.

A few years ago, he posted screenshots of his music library talking about how many 20+ minute epics he had (and how many of those had him on drums) and Illumination Theory was there.

Yep

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=2676653415685617&set=pcb.2676653445685614

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2109 on: November 29, 2023, 03:44:11 PM »

Sure, that may be true, but I was just pointing out that at least JP was willing to entertain playing the rare song, because I think while MP rightly deserves credit for that kind of thing, it's not like JP never did it.

Very true.  And the thing is with Space Dye Vest, that was a treat that every city on the tour got, not just one or two cities. That was one great thing about the static set lists; when the band pulled out something especially special in the last 13 years, you pretty much knew every city on the tour was getting it in most cases (Don't Look Past Me being an exception).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2110 on: November 29, 2023, 03:55:10 PM »
I'd add the inclusion of At Wit's End also.  Even though it was the current album cycle, they modified the set to include that song specifically largely in response to fan requests.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2111 on: November 29, 2023, 04:17:49 PM »
Very true.  And the thing is with Space Dye Vest, that was a treat that every city on the tour got, not just one or two cities. That was one great thing about the static set lists; when the band pulled out something especially special in the last 13 years, you pretty much knew every city on the tour was getting it in most cases (Don't Look Past Me being an exception).

IMO the best solution is to have some tentpole songs and rotate the "filler" tracks. It creates interest while lowering the amount of songs to learn and lowering the chances that missing a particular song causes grief.
Over and over again

Offline Kocak

« Reply #2112 on: November 29, 2023, 05:28:57 PM »
My theory is that mainly due to family obligations, DT started to transform from a band to a business after the problems they had during the FII era. The music got more formulaic and the changing music industry environment meant that they had to rely more on touring income than the album royalties but they could only be on the road for 4 weeks at a time because they are family men now. (Which is totally understandable.) At the same time, their fame within the musician circles led to additional income such as the ability to attach their names to gear, with the most successful one being the JP line of guitars. So much so that Petrucci now writes songs because there's a new piece of equipment coming out: Awaken the Master is promotional material for the 8-string JP guitar.

My experience in the music industry has taught me that if you achieve fame through your ability with any given instrument, there's an unwritten obligation to push the boundaries of what is possible with that instrument. The 2000's is when MP became the weakest instrumental member of Dream Theater, he stopped doing clinics and solos, and started referring to himself as a groove and feel drummer and given how he started his career, this could be considered a regression. I think/know some of his endorsement deals came very close to a termination within the last decade.
Very interesting insights Kocak - thanks for sharing. I can't say that I fully agree with DT becoming more of a business around the time JR joined - I think the business aspect probably started at least around the writing period of FII or maybe even earlier. Nonetheless, I'd imagine that over time as they continued the write-record-tour cycle repeatedly, some more of that business aspect crept in.

Regarding the potential for MP to have lost some of his endorsement deals, why do you think this was? Was it because MP was no longer in a big name band? I find this info surprising regardless because he has continued to be a big name among drummers despite not having been in DT for so long. Some of that might be because of the numerous other bands he was involved with, but I think also because he's a very sociable person in the music industry (far more so than the other guys) and knows how to market himself so that he stays visible.

As for all your comments about how he went about choosing which bands/projects he was going to involve himself with after leaving DT, I can't say I necessarily agree with your point that he was systematically picking out what style of music he was going to involve himself, although as I mentioned, he does know how to market himself, so that is always a possibility. Nonetheless, he has always struck me as being more of a person to go by his gut/instinct than plot everything out methodically as you seem to imply (apologies if you're not). In the case of AM, he wanted to work with Russell Allen, but it just so happened that RA had already started working with Mike Orlando in what became AM, so MP rode that train. For Flying Colors, Bill Evans was the one who put that band together although obviously MP was happy to get involved when the invitation was extended to him. So at least with these bands, it wasn't MP plotting the course.

Of course he was the impetus for PSMS, but even then, it wasn't like he was quick to start SoA immediately afterward. However, MP's willingness to put SoA together when he did could have been a response to the failure for all these other bands to succeed to DT's level, but I don't know if even that is true, as opposed to the fact that he was finally willing to return to doing something more akin to what he did in DT. But even though SoA was not a huge success initially, it's quite possible that it could have grown if given the proper time. Bumblefoot implied as much from the interview he gave when he first confirmed that SoA was done. So it's hard to say. Still, if given the choice to return to DT or to do something with SoA, I can't blame MP for wanting to return to DT after all this time.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Firstly, growing up and having families will obviously lead to changes in everyones life, so I understand that DT needed to become a business at some point, but along the way, I think, one thing that they did wrong was to grow apart as friends too, especially with JM, I think he just isolated himself from the band at some point. He has this interview around the time of "A Dramatic Turn of Events", stating that he had missed the jam aspect and really locking in with the drummer. It's a video interview, so I'm sure it's on YouTube still. MP also had this interview in which he stated that JM lives close to him but he has not seen him or talked to him in ages. I think, since the pandemic, they had the chance to reconnect as well without it being a business transaction or defending the "brotherhood" for promotional material, having to look close for the sake of it. This goes for the "core trio". I see Jordan as being a big brother to all of them, so things were always more amicable with him during MP's break from the band.

The thing with James is a completely separate issue, which, to me, speaks more to DT not being a band and just five individuals having to juggle different dynamics while having to work together, like any other job.

With the endorsement thing, I know that he had some trouble with his gear supply in Europe at some point. The brand/s just refused to provide him with gear on the road. I have had encounters with MP in professional settings, he isn't the easiest person to deal with. I don't think this would surprise anyone. And again, because I am involved with these kinds of things, with the changing nature of business and the music business in general, the nature of endorsement deals and how far brands are willing to go for an artist is changing too and MP, at that point, was not a top priority anymore. I don't know about the current state of things, so I cannot comment on it.

Brands are upping their promotional material game, so they expect a bit more from the artists that they supply, it's not just the name and staying visible anymore. To provide another example, Porcupine Tree did not do the gear talk series on YouTube for the studio sessions of their last album because they really wanted fans to see the amazing gear that they were using. You can go an watch MP's Latin Percussion promotional video on YouTube, it's really not his finest hour I'd say.

I was not trying to imply that he was being methodical and plotting everything out. It's just that he presented all these things as his different sides. Again, he has this interview in which he talks about his kind of disappointment with AM as his attempt to recapture an A7X type of audience did not really turn out that way. He thought that it could appeal to a similar kind of crowd. FC was marketed, by him, as his prog pop side, while TA catered to his prog audience etc, etc... (Oh and I forgot his metal side with the Metal Allegiance.)

Indeed, SoA was not a huge success right out of the gate, but they expected it to be and I am sure that it was a disappointment to all of them. It could have grown, but these things require time and effort and if the past is any indication, MP isn't willing to put in the time and effort. His musical output has been, um, how to describe this... Fast and furious, barring TWD and another thing or two here and there. I really, really hope that they take their time with the next Dream Theater album.

I am not blaming MP for returning to DT at all. As I said, the shadow of DT is larger than MP himself.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2113 on: November 29, 2023, 06:00:47 PM »

IMO the best solution is to have some tentpole songs and rotate the "filler" tracks. It creates interest while lowering the amount of songs to learn and lowering the chances that missing a particular song causes grief.

This is the way. 

I'd add the inclusion of At Wit's End also.  Even though it was the current album cycle, they modified the set to include that song specifically largely in response to fan requests.

Funny enough, I was one of those fans wanting that song badly and I could have seen the second leg of the tour, but opted to do dinner with a bunch of DTFers who were in two for Progstock instead since I had seen the first leg already and that was the only change.  Figured I'd get to see the song eventually, but now, I'm really not so sure.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2114 on: November 29, 2023, 09:08:53 PM »

This is the way.
And really that was the way MP handled it, especially with the last two album-tour cycles where they were doing shorter sets. For Chaos in Motion, you were always guaranteed to see CM, TDEN and ItPoE as well as Surrounded '07 and Schmedley Wilcox. Often BF and LitS were included as well but not always. And he did something similar with the Progressive Nation tours in 2009 with a guarantee of ANtR, ARoP and TCoT at the show with SShell (w/improv), HYears '09 and PoW being included relatively often.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline lightningbolt

« Reply #2115 on: November 30, 2023, 12:18:04 AM »
I'm pretty excited about MP coming back.  This appeared inevitable to me once he and James publicly made up.  I wasn't necessarily expecting a reunion so soon, but I felt the band needed a major change after I was completely underwhelmed by AVFTTOTW (I realize that opinion isn't universal by any stretch (to each their own!), but it is an opinion also shared by three close friends who are major DT fans).  My DT buddies and I didn't even bother going to see the tour since the setlist was naturally heavy on songs from AVFTTOTW.  MP coming back seems like an obvious solution that will hopefully shake things up in the studio.  Whether things do change / change for the better remains to be seen.  Hopefully, it will help spark the band's creativity and there will be a strong voice to speak up when something isn't working / is "meh" (I also hope this works the other way to help avoid well-known missteps on certain songs on the last few MP era albums that almost certainly resulted from his input, "RAWR!!!").  Regardless, I'm a lot more excited about the potential of DT16 than I would have been without MP's return.

Just to clarify, I've enjoyed a good chunk of the output from the MM era - particularly most of the first two albums, about half of D/T, and some of TA.  The last release was just a complete 0/7 strikeout to my ears.  It hurts to type that as I love Dream Theater, but it is sadly true for me.  Broadly speaking, I think diminishing returns would describe my feelings on the MM era studio albums.

As far as the live show, I'm hoping there is some degree of setlist rotation.  My other favorite band, Pearl Jam, plays entirely unique shows every night on tour with the understanding that you never know what they will play.  That has caused me to go to additional shows on tours and to follow setlists from shows I didn't attend just to see what they pulled out of their hat on a given night.  Every now and again they screw up parts as a result or flub a lyric, but I actually find that endearing (they are human after all) and it makes the show feel more "real" in a sense.  I don't go to a rock concert expecting them to play everything completely perfect anyway.

I certainly don't expect DT to go to that extreme, but even something as simple as an A/B setlist with a couple of changes between shows would cause me to consider going to two concerts instead of one on a tour (maybe 2/3 static and 1/3 rotating/whatever).

Offline lightningbolt

« Reply #2116 on: November 30, 2023, 01:12:18 AM »
That little MP Q&A video has been analyzed more than the Zapruder film by you guys  :rollin

My take on it is he is happy to be back and looking to play ball as part of the collective DT team going forward.  Whether that happens or not in reality remains to be seen.  I don't understand the over-reaction to certain answers he gave since none of this has been decided by the band, namely the part about playing MM songs live going forward.  Seemed like a reasonable enough response to me at this juncture.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2117 on: November 30, 2023, 01:40:58 AM »
That little MP Q&A video has been analyzed more than the Zapruder film by you guys  :rollin

You are dealing with professionals here.  :hat

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2118 on: November 30, 2023, 01:55:04 AM »

So no engagement until there's an album or a tour to announce? Then nothing's really changed. There's nothing to communicate is kind of a ...I don't want to call it a cop out, but no one has answered any questions on the whole thing besides MP at the RRFC. Does JP only poke his head out of the sand when there's something to sell?

Fans are excited, even returning. There's LOTS to talk about. Sounds like no one wants to take questions and it would appear to me that they're ducking. I bleed Dream Theater so I'm not a negative nelly on them, but that's my opinion. It's frustrating. Left hangin' I guess.

I totally agree. There should be weekly content on social media, after all, it's MP's return.

And there are a huge number of questions... so much so that thread  keeps growing.

The setlist conversation, while on the surface appears to be beating a dead horse, but to me it's symbolic for a number of reasons.

2. JP and JR were abundantly clear on how much they did not like rotating setlists. Particularly JR who came across pretty strongly, I seem to remember. Are they going back?
They did try a sort of hybrid with a Set A and Set B on the ADTOE tour, and switching Paralyzed and FITL on the DoT tour.

3. The songs they decide to play or not ultimately will decide how "I" view the band.  Will they be a vibrant current band or a nostalgia act?

4. And MP's answer at the RRFC.. I know, we can't jump to too many conclusions on what he actually said, but I gotta be honest. When I broke down what he said, it gave me pause. But that's ME and how "I" took it. I'm not in a position to tell anyone what he meant or how he feels, just how those comments made ME feel.

The SDV was a wise decision, especially being played in all cities. Everyone deserved to see this jewel played. Thanks, DT.

You are completely right. I would just like to add that the responsibility for including music from the last thirteen years lies more with John, John, James and Jordan than with MP.

We are used to the DT's modus operandi with MP. Mike decides, the others execute. Maybe that's why we keep thinking this way. But I hope the other guys are proud of the albums they made and don't abandon them. It would be immensely disappointing.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2119 on: November 30, 2023, 02:35:25 AM »

This is the way.
And really that was the way MP handled it, especially with the last two album-tour cycles where they were doing shorter sets. For Chaos in Motion, you were always guaranteed to see CM, TDEN and ItPoE as well as Surrounded '07 and Schmedley Wilcox. Often BF and LitS were included as well but not always. And he did something similar with the Progressive Nation tours in 2009 with a guarantee of ANtR, ARoP and TCoT at the show with SShell (w/improv), HYears '09 and PoW being included relatively often.

Not exactly. At my show they didn't play ITPoE or Surrounded.

My setlist was:

Constant Motion
Panic Attack
Endless Sacrifice
The Dark Eternal Night
Erotomania
Voices
I Walk Beside You
As I Am
The Ministry of Lost Souls
Take the Time

Schmedley Wilcox

I would swap TMoLS for ITPoE and ES or AIA for Surrounded.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 02:42:38 AM by Dedalus »

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2120 on: November 30, 2023, 02:48:21 AM »
lightningbolt: your two posts above contain more sense than 99.9% of the stuff that's been posted by anyone to date. Please stay! Oh, and... welcome to the forum :)
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2121 on: November 30, 2023, 03:35:12 AM »

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2122 on: November 30, 2023, 03:42:10 AM »
I was completely underwhelmed by AVFTTOTW

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline lightningbolt

« Reply #2123 on: November 30, 2023, 07:05:22 AM »
lightningbolt: your two posts above contain more sense than 99.9% of the stuff that's been posted by anyone to date. Please stay! Oh, and... welcome to the forum :)

Well, thanks!  I had the benefit of reading the previous posts over the past month :)

Offline lightningbolt

« Reply #2124 on: November 30, 2023, 07:12:37 AM »

LOL, new as a poster, yes.  Portnoy returning and this thread compelled me to finally register and throw in my 2 cents.  I've been off and on lurking here for around 10 years..., mainly since right after MP left, but I dabbled a bit during the BC&SL era. 

I've read through a lot of intense analysis of various subjects over the years - the cover art of S/T, the snare sound on all MM albums, click tracks, JP's facial hair, The Astonishing, F#, etc... :)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2125 on: November 30, 2023, 08:52:14 AM »
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
And once again thank you for your thoughtful and insight post!  :)

With the endorsement thing, I know that he had some trouble with his gear supply in Europe at some point. The brand/s just refused to provide him with gear on the road. I have had encounters with MP in professional settings, he isn't the easiest person to deal with. I don't think this would surprise anyone. And again, because I am involved with these kinds of things, with the changing nature of business and the music business in general, the nature of endorsement deals and how far brands are willing to go for an artist is changing too and MP, at that point, was not a top priority anymore. I don't know about the current state of things, so I cannot comment on it.

Brands are upping their promotional material game, so they expect a bit more from the artists that they supply, it's not just the name and staying visible anymore. To provide another example, Porcupine Tree did not do the gear talk series on YouTube for the studio sessions of their last album because they really wanted fans to see the amazing gear that they were using. You can go an watch MP's Latin Percussion promotional video on YouTube, it's really not his finest hour I'd say.
Very interesting to read. I'm not a musician nor in the industry, so I have little knowledge about endorsements and certainly what changes may have happened regarding them over time. So what you shared above definitely was something completely new for me.

I was not trying to imply that he was being methodical and plotting everything out. It's just that he presented all these things as his different sides. Again, he has this interview in which he talks about his kind of disappointment with AM as his attempt to recapture an A7X type of audience did not really turn out that way. He thought that it could appeal to a similar kind of crowd. FC was marketed, by him, as his prog pop side, while TA catered to his prog audience etc, etc... (Oh and I forgot his metal side with the Metal Allegiance.)
I understand and apologies for misreading what you said. And there's no doubt that he was marketing these different bands/projects as different sides to his musical personality. It just struck me that from outward appearances, at least some of these things came about more organically than what your previous post seemed to suggest. But even right from the get-go upon leaving DT, he did say that he wanted to expand his musical horizons with different styles of music, and he certainly did that to a greater degree than he was able to while with DT.

Indeed, SoA was not a huge success right out of the gate, but they expected it to be and I am sure that it was a disappointment to all of them. It could have grown, but these things require time and effort and if the past is any indication, MP isn't willing to put in the time and effort. His musical output has been, um, how to describe this... Fast and furious, barring TWD and another thing or two here and there. I really, really hope that they take their time with the next Dream Theater album.
No doubt. I'm sure DS shooting his mouth off repeatedly during promo for the first album, in his veiled insults regarding JR did the band zero favors, since the primary audience for SoA would be DT and general prog fans. It would be interesting to know how much of a difference there would have been if he hadn't done so. Perhaps we'll get an idea with his "Whom Gods Destroy" band if he keeps his mouth shut.

But yeah, I can understand that MP seemed fairly quick to abandon some of those bands/projects when they didn't seem to be taking off at a level he wanted or expected. When he was wanting to try his hand at a variety of different things, I don't blame him for not wanting to lock himself into something that wasn't proving to be successful, especially because he didn't have DT to fall back on like he had previously. I think the biggest mistake he made in this regard is touting that AM and later SoA were going to be his main bands going forward (along with TWD).

You are dealing with professionals here.  :hat
You know it!   :coolio  :lol

Not exactly. At my show they didn't play ITPoE or Surrounded.
Fair enough. I was going by what I remember from the summer 2007 run in North America and fall 2007 European run. By the time they hit South America, things did get changed up a bit more, although it is a bit surprising that they didn't do ItPoE or Surrounded '07. What show were you at?

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2126 on: November 30, 2023, 10:27:24 AM »
I can understand that MP seemed fairly quick to abandon some of those bands/projects when they didn't seem to be taking off at a level he wanted or expected. When he was wanting to try his hand at a variety of different things, I don't blame him for not wanting to lock himself into something that wasn't proving to be successful, especially because he didn't have DT to fall back on like he had previously. I think the biggest mistake he made in this regard is touting that AM and later SoA were going to be his main bands going forward (along with TWD).
I agree with you completely. I think if you've been into music for a while, it's easy to predict what a band's "ceiling" will be when the players reach their potential and enough people have heard of them to form an opinion. MP had the name recognition that ensured enough of a sample audience hears about them in the first album cycle and he was forming bands with already formed players. He thought the "ceilings" would be higher with AM and SoA and he was wrong, and he saw that when they got the feedback message from the general audience.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2127 on: November 30, 2023, 12:22:42 PM »
In the Q&A he said "I'm open to it of course... I surely would do it if that's what they want to do" and "whatever they want to do I'm up for it" before continuing on to say that he looks forward to revisiting the old stuff. In fact he says three times that he'll do the newer stuff "if they want." It's pretty clear that it's not something he is going to advocate for. I get what you guys are saying that his non-committal attitude has led to unwarranted pre-emptive disappointment about DT playing or not playing certain songs, but at the same time, Portnoy isn't really being that coy about what he's interested in doing. Doesn't mean Mangini songs are off the table (quite the opposite in fact), but I get being concerned that if Portnoy is writing the setlists again, he's not going to get a lot of pushback from within the band if he doesn't include any Mangini era material.

But there's a difference between one person being "concerned" on one hand, and attributing it to Mike on the other.  People arrive at crazy notions all the time, and as long as they do that in the privacy of their own mind, we can't stop them.   He did NOT make it clear it's not something he would advocate for.  ALL HE SAID is, he'd do newer stuff "if the band wants".  He didn't say ANYTHING else.  Let me ask you this:  if he presented a set list that had, among other things, "Repentence" and John, John, Jordan, and James all said "no fucking way, bro, not doing it.  We don't want to."   Do you think it gets played?   Because if you say "no, it doesn't", then even the songs from PRE-Mangini are in the "whatever they want to do, I'm up for it" category.  Mike NEVER SAID whether he would or would not put any Mangini songs on the list, and in fact, he never said he would be putting a list together PERIOD.  He said he would work with the band in that direction but he LIKES doing setlists and would want to in the future.  How ANYONE jumps to "he's not going to advocate for Mangini songs" is purely made up.  There's no implication at all in anything he said.

I do hope he sits down and listens to the other 5 albums if he hasn't already - I actually think it could lead to some fun choices if Portnoy clicks with certain songs that did not get a lot of attention at the time. And lets be real, despite his attitude while he was out of the band, the music post-Portnoy didn't really change all that much. If he's actually a fan of the type of music Dream Theater makes (and I have no doubt he is), he's probably going to love a lot of stuff from that era. Is anyone here going to doubt that Portnoy would've loved The Looking Glass if it was written while he was in the band? Or A View From the Top of the World? Heck, he probably would have even been all in on The Astonishing.

I actually agree with this; Setlist Scotty can confirm or deny this, but it's my understanding that John and Jordan wrote most of the material (musically) on the last five records and since he was a partner to them for 25 years and is eagerly coming back to resume that partnership, it's not unfair to conclude that he is a fan of their compositions.   

It feels like there were some missed opportunities when they brought back the "evening with" format in 2014. I don't mean this as a complaint as I loved every Evening With show I saw and thought they did a remarkable job creating a cool flow with the setlists. But every single Evening With tour dedicated a significant portion to focusing on a particular album to varying degrees. 2014's second set was all about Awake and Scenes, then they did The Astonishing in its entirety, then Images and Words and Scenes in their entirety. IMO this absolutely affected the selection of songs and boxed them in a bit. If the Distance Over Time tour hadn't been set up the way it was, we probably would have gotten more songs from that album. Again, not a complaint, but I do hope that if these Evening With tours come back, they do more of a career spanning grab bag ala 2003-2004 which would open up more room to pull out some Mangini era deep cuts. If they stick to single set performances or do Evening With where an entire album is being played live, considering that there will be a new album to choose from I really doubt they are going even have room to include a lot of Mangini era stuff. They weren't doing that when Mangini was in the band.

Not that what I think matters, but I agree with this as well.  I think I might feel different if it was a full performance of SFAM (I missed that tour) or something special like The 12 Steps Suite, but I think I'd rather hear a "Score"-type set than a quasi-anniversary airing of an album that is otherwise kind of arbitrary (I mean, call me unsentimental, but if it's not one of the big ones - 20th, 25th or 50th - I'm not that jazzed by the "anniversary" label.  I'd rather hear something more like Rush's Time Machine approach, and this way we can work in the "rotation" aspect.  Maybe vary the FII song(s) from a choice of three or four, or play a different part of the 6D suite.  That would be fun.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #2128 on: November 30, 2023, 12:36:49 PM »
My theory is that mainly due to family obligations, DT started to transform from a band to a business after the problems they had during the FII era. The music got more formulaic and the changing music industry environment meant that they had to rely more on touring income than the album royalties but they could only be on the road for 4 weeks at a time because they are family men now. (Which is totally understandable.) At the same time, their fame within the musician circles led to additional income such as the ability to attach their names to gear, with the most successful one being the JP line of guitars. So much so that Petrucci now writes songs because there's a new piece of equipment coming out: Awaken the Master is promotional material for the 8-string JP guitar.
I found this to be a very interesting observation. Obviously I am aware that Awaken the Master is the first Dream Theater album to use an eight-string guitar, and that Petrucci promoted the guitar heavily when the album was released. However, I always kind of assumed the business side of things with his endorsement deals came second to the music. I know we're all just speculating here, and of course Petrucci continues to love and produce great music, but it's not at all infeasible that the desire to sell a new Majesty guitar actually came first. Quite a fascinating scenario, whether true or not.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2129 on: November 30, 2023, 12:58:46 PM »
^A very seasoned take.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2130 on: November 30, 2023, 01:23:30 PM »

Fair enough. I was going by what I remember from the summer 2007 run in North America and fall 2007 European run. By the time they hit South America, things did get changed up a bit more, although it is a bit surprising that they didn't do ItPoE or Surrounded '07. What show were you at?

In fact, they played these two songs in almost every show in South America. The exceptions were Buenos Aires (as there were two shows at Luna Park) and Belo Horizonte, Brazil (it was the show I attended).

In Buenos Aires, they played ITPoE on the first night (in the encore - they didn't play Schmedley Wilcox at that show!) and Surrounded on the second night.

In Belo Horizonte I don't know why. It was the only city with a single show in which both songs were not played.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2131 on: November 30, 2023, 02:00:25 PM »
I found this to be a very interesting observation. Obviously I am aware that Awaken the Master is the first Dream Theater album to use an eight-string guitar, and that Petrucci promoted the guitar heavily when the album was released. However, I always kind of assumed the business side of things with his endorsement deals came second to the music. I know we're all just speculating here, and of course Petrucci continues to love and produce great music, but it's not at all infeasible that the desire to sell a new Majesty guitar actually came first. Quite a fascinating scenario, whether true or not.

Yeah, I think, if the song was truly meant to be a promotional tool, it would have stayed on the setlist for leg 2. I'm glad I got to see it on leg 1, but it's far from a favorite for me so I was glad it got dropped.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2132 on: November 30, 2023, 03:00:37 PM »
I think it's more likely that JP wanted to experiment with an 8-string, so he got his buddies at EB/MM to create a signature model for him, than that he created a song to sell guitars.   

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2133 on: November 30, 2023, 05:22:09 PM »

I never really thought of JP as just a guitar salesman, but if you're gonna pull on that thread, I think where he hurts himself is by being so locked in on certain pieces of gear he likes. I think it was the Road King that showed up in AFTR on DT12, then he used it on TA, then he went back to the IIC+ sound. Maybe the 8 string will show up again? Who knows. His style seems to be more about down-tuning, which he's done off-and-on since at least ToT.

I'm not even sure that JP's relationship with his gear is that unusual. But in the context of his endorsement presence, it does create something of a weird tension. I actually liked the Road King sound, would be a shame if he ditched it because TA didn't do well. And the 8 string playing was cool.

But then again I remember in an interview he flat out said he didn't like acoustic guitars which was why he doesn't play them much. So, I mean, he likes what he likes. In a sense you have to respect that.
Over and over again

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #2134 on: November 30, 2023, 06:47:32 PM »

The business side of thing includes both the music and the endorsements; they feed each other. For any enduring act there is always the business side of things even though it sounds antithetical to the pursuit of the arts.

A family member of mine had a band nowhere near as successful as DT. The business side of things starts as soon as you graduate from playing in that smokey bar and start generating real income. You end up needing a lawyer, contracts, legal boundaries protecting you and your bandmates etc. The post mentioning family obligations sounds totally rational to me. DT is how these guys feed their families, pay for their kids college, pay their mortgage, put away for retirement, and leave something behind for their loved ones. In music - especially in a niche genre like this - your income can literally go away in a matter of months as tastes changes and your popularity dwindles. Indeed you can become irrelevant in the blink of an eye. The guys in DT strike me as pretty smart, mature, and methodical human beings who have long understood the fragility of the business they are in and the importance of making the right choices for the longevity of the enterprise. Of course they're passionate artists who create amazing music, but they're not making whimsical about their baby with so much on the line.

That is why I believe that the business and the music are connected at the hip and inseparable for 99% of successful acts. I personally don't believe any consequential decision DT makes including using an 8 string, switching record labels, and yes, including changing the drummer, has zero to do with the business side of things. DT is THE thing for the band members. Besides MP they have no other enduring projects of any commercial relevance.

You could very well be right about wanting to sell an 8 string first, but I also wouldn't be surprised if the inspiration came first. Either way I think you had both elements go into that decision.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 07:02:12 PM by TheBarstoolWarrior »