Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 119456 times)

Offline RaiseTheKnife

Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #1575 on: November 11, 2023, 01:37:40 PM »
Here's a silly thought:  What if MP hasn't picked up some of the recent DT albums?  Since it took him 12 or 13 years to see DT live, is it possible he skipped out on buying some of the MM-era albums?  Probably not likely, but it would be interesting if his first listen of an album was to learn some of the MM drum tracks.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #1576 on: November 11, 2023, 01:43:55 PM »
Highly doubt it. MP is DT's biggest fan. I'm sure he's bought all the albums and live albums, even if he hasn't publicly spoken about them.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1577 on: November 11, 2023, 01:44:48 PM »
Here's a silly thought:  What if MP hasn't picked up some of the recent DT albums?  Since it took him 12 or 13 years to see DT live, is it possible he skipped out on buying some of the MM-era albums?  Probably not likely, but it would be interesting if his first listen of an album was to learn some of the MM drum tracks.

A few years ago, he posted screenshots of his music library talking about how many 20+ minute epics he had (and how many of those had him on drums) and Illumination Theory was there. My bet is that he's so much of a collector/completist that he just felt the need to get every single DT release even after he left the band. That's pure speculation, but we can be sure he has at least some MM era songs/albums there.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1578 on: November 11, 2023, 01:45:36 PM »

A few years ago, he posted screenshots of his music library talking about how many 20+ minute epics he had (and how many of those had him on drums) and Illumination Theory was there.

Yep

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=2676653415685617&set=pcb.2676653445685614

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1579 on: November 11, 2023, 01:48:35 PM »

A few years ago, he posted screenshots of his music library talking about how many 20+ minute epics he had (and how many of those had him on drums) and Illumination Theory was there.

Yep

That was fast! I wanted to link it but didn't want to scroll through all his posts trying to find it :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #1580 on: November 11, 2023, 01:55:24 PM »
sorry to say, but the Mangini record was REALLY WEAK. low budget and it gave me nothing

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #1581 on: November 11, 2023, 02:02:42 PM »
Portnoy's entrance will give the band more energy, the audience will get more energy from this shift. DT has had a flat battery for a long time and the timing is right. yes a lot is economy based, but the technique of Mangini never surpasses the energy and the show of Portnoy.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1582 on: November 11, 2023, 04:50:37 PM »

Yep

My least favorite thing about the list is that Schmedley Wilcox has the Finally Free section listed as One More Time. I would think that MP of all people would make sure that one's correct. I'm sure the title originated on iTunes, but still...
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1583 on: November 11, 2023, 05:03:36 PM »
My least favorite thing about it is that it's a 15 minute medley. Just give me another song in that spot.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1584 on: November 11, 2023, 05:08:46 PM »

Yep

My least favorite thing about the list is that Schmedley Wilcox has the Finally Free section listed as One More Time. I would think that MP of all people would make sure that one's correct. I'm sure the title originated on iTunes, but still...

Oooh, they covered Daft Punk? :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1585 on: November 11, 2023, 05:10:36 PM »
My least favorite thing about that list is that there's a 23 minute Yoko Ono song :eek that'd give me serious nightmares :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1586 on: November 11, 2023, 05:17:33 PM »
My least favorite thing about it is that it's a 15 minute medley. Just give me another song in that spot.
OK JP. But medley schmedleys can be really cool! At the very least I hope MP will eventually put together another Instrumedley, perhaps using TSF as a basis for it, much the way he used TDoE as a basis for the original!  :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1587 on: November 11, 2023, 05:20:32 PM »
OK JP. But medley schmedleys can be really cool! At the very least I hope MP will eventually put together another Instrumedley, perhaps using TSF as a basis for it, much the way he used TDoE as a basis for the original!  :biggrin:

;D

I like the idea of the instrumedley. It had a lot of moving parts and was really cool, but I hate medleys. I hate splicing together 4 or 5 songs. I like complete songs. The SC tour boots have so many great setlist combinations, but once I get to the encore, I shut them off.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1588 on: November 11, 2023, 05:22:42 PM »

Yep

Oooh, they covered Daft Punk? :lol

-Marc.

:facepalm: No! That's the solo JLB song I always confuse with the DT song :lol
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1589 on: November 11, 2023, 05:29:10 PM »

I like the idea of the instrumedley. It had a lot of moving parts and was really cool, but I hate medleys. I hate splicing together 4 or 5 songs. I like complete songs. The SC tour boots have so many great setlist combinations, but once I get to the encore, I shut them off.

Yep, I am not a fan of medleys either, and remember that Petrucci hates them, so what the power dynamic is in the band going forward will dictate if we get any of those.  I'd be down for a mashup (those are way better than medleys, if we have to get one).  When done well, those can be most excellent.  Medleys are just teases.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1590 on: November 11, 2023, 05:32:26 PM »
What's the difference between a mashup and a medley?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1591 on: November 11, 2023, 05:34:46 PM »
What's the difference between a mashup and a medley?

A mashup is when you weave in and out of two songs (or more, I suppose).  Like, you do a little bit of song 1 and then move to a part of song 2 and then back to song 1 and then back to song 2.  I think that is what Caught in a New Millennium was on Live Scenes (haven't listened to it in forever), but my current favorite pop star does them on occasion :P, and they can be a lot of fun.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1592 on: November 11, 2023, 05:35:32 PM »
Sounds awful. Just play one damn song.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1593 on: November 11, 2023, 05:36:59 PM »

Haha, that is my preference as well. With any luck, Petrucci will put his foot down on medleys.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1594 on: November 11, 2023, 05:37:30 PM »

Haha, that is my preference as well. With any luck, Petrucci will put his foot down on medleys.

And swiftly. ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1595 on: November 11, 2023, 05:38:26 PM »

And swiftly. ;D

Exactly. :lol :lol :tup :tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1596 on: November 11, 2023, 05:40:04 PM »

Yep, I am not a fan of medleys either, and remember that Petrucci hates them, so what the power dynamic is in the band going forward will dictate if we get any of those.  I'd be down for a mashup (those are way better than medleys, if we have to get one).  When done well, those can be most excellent.  Medleys are just teases.

Understanding that John doesn't like them... would that still be a fair compromise?   A medley of songs from the last few records?  (Though, I'm on record as saying that I can't imagine Mike P. not playing those songs in full.  I feel he's more Bruce Dickinson/Phil Collins than Ian Gillan.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1597 on: November 11, 2023, 05:47:13 PM »

Understanding that John doesn't like them... would that still be a fair compromise?   A medley of songs from the last few records?  (Though, I'm on record as saying that I can't imagine Mike P. not playing those songs in full.  I feel he's more Bruce Dickinson/Phil Collins than Ian Gillan.

Compromises could come on a more macro level than micro ones, meaning instead of "hey, we will compromise on situations a, b, c and d," Petrucci might say to Portnoy, "Okay, we will do it my way on a and c, and you can have your way on b and d." (if that makes sense)

Given how little regard the band seemed to have for their own material once the touring cycles for each album was done (it has already been talked up, about how not many songs from the Mangini era were brought back on late tours), they could very well be just fine with not playing much from those five albums, although I still think Breaking All Illusions and The Alien are the most likely songs to appear in the set list on the next tour.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1598 on: November 11, 2023, 05:48:03 PM »
I don't have a strong, definitive opinion on medleys. It depends. The instrumedley was cool. Schmedley Wilcox had some weird transitions but as an excuse to get the majestic ending of Octavarium without playing the whole song I accept it. 2022 was the 20th anniversary of Six Degrees, I would have accepted a medley off that album as celebration.

I'm mainly for complete songs, but an instrumental medley in the middle of the show or an encore medley feels alright. Them randomly doing medley and mashups all over the set just to play as many (snippets of) songs as possible and honor as many albums as possible would feel a mess.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1599 on: November 11, 2023, 06:14:57 PM »
Please no medleys, please no medleys, please no medleys, please no medleys
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1600 on: November 11, 2023, 06:15:15 PM »

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #1601 on: November 11, 2023, 06:28:04 PM »
I like medleys. *shrugs* I can always listen to the album version or, in DT's case, odds are there's another live version to listen to. Concerts are the time to mix things up. Go for it.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1602 on: November 11, 2023, 06:29:16 PM »
The only medley I'll accept is an Astonishing medley, nothing else :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1603 on: November 11, 2023, 06:30:46 PM »
The only medley I'll accept is an Astonishing medley, nothing else :lol

As much as I hate medleys, and like The Astonishing, I actually could live with this.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1604 on: November 11, 2023, 06:33:23 PM »

PLEASE NO MEDLEYS!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1605 on: November 11, 2023, 06:41:02 PM »
I usually hate medleys, but Instrumedley is a masterpiece.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1606 on: November 11, 2023, 07:22:06 PM »
Hard disagree unless they have a night of. No openers.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline HOF

« Reply #1607 on: November 11, 2023, 08:10:39 PM »
I guess medleys are ok as long as they are well done. Genesis’ medleys we’re usually pretty cool. Can’t think of many bands who have done them that I listen to besides Genesis and DT though. I guess Rush did one on R30.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1608 on: November 11, 2023, 08:19:04 PM »
While I am not a fan, I think medleys can work to some degree if they are well put together and have a natural flow, rather than randomly bouncing from one thing to the next, and DT's usually fall into the latter category, IMO. 

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1609 on: November 11, 2023, 08:55:05 PM »
« I fuckin hate when Rush does medleys, why don’t they play the whole damn song.  It makes makes me feel like medley schmedley »

man that really takes me back