Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 119421 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #1470 on: November 09, 2023, 03:24:21 AM »
What a gloriously strange beautiful crazy beast DT fandom is; the prodigal son has just come back and we slay the singer in celebration.

I'm sorry.  It was supposed to be a positive feel good post.  :lol

No one is bashing James here though.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 03:59:27 AM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1471 on: November 09, 2023, 03:27:32 AM »
The thing is, I don't find anything pitiful or sad about anything posted recently. Nobody is attacking or "slaying" James here.
To me, James and MP's relationship going forward is the elephant in the room. What if James sings on the next tour like he sang on the last one? How's that going to go over when on the last tour, it was at least twice as bad as the 6 D's tour where the band had to sit him down.

I'll personally believe James makes a second album with the band post MP's return when I see it.

That kinda goes back to my point though.  Surely MP watched some recent footage of the last tour?  After some of the performances he still rejoins.  I'm hoping it's an acceptance but still room to help James.  You're right, it is the elephant in the room, I'm just looking at it from a more optimistic approach.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1472 on: November 09, 2023, 03:42:28 AM »
The thing is, I don't find anything pitiful or sad about anything posted recently. Nobody is attacking or "slaying" James here.
To me, James and MP's relationship going forward is the elephant in the room. What if James sings on the next tour like he sang on the last one? How's that going to go over when on the last tour, it was at least twice as bad as the 6 D's tour where the band had to sit him down.

I'll personally believe James makes a second album with the band post MP's return when I see it.

Now I'm going to make a lot of assumptions and probably not a lot of sense but - strange beautiful crazy beast again -  as a fan I can't help to feel I've been knowing the guys for 30 plus years while realising I actually know nothing. True, all the pieces are there for a Six Degrees Tour deflagration (and worse), but only if we pretend the context hasn't radically changed, but it has:

(Here we go with the assumptions, but please bear with me)

1. I doubt the Mike / James past situation wasn't the very first point of mandatory agreement for this whole "original" line-up fiesta.
2. The Mike sitting James down was Founder Mike, the Mike facing the issue today is Returning after Exile Mike. That tends to change emotions quite a lot in a band relationship.
3. The 2001/2002 James could be expected to tear walls down, James today could be only respected for playing the instrument father time loves to damage the most.
4. Now Mike has seen both DT without James (WDADU, going nowhere) and without himself (3 great albums, 2 ok ones). That tends to change emotions even more.
5. Mike in 2001/2002 aimed at metal world domination and James' "problems" were on the way, Mike today can be content to stay relevant and close a titanic career gracefully.
6. Today John would never entertain the notion of dumping James, and he knows he controls the band now.
7. The market and industry today are light years from 2001 (you used to sell records and own your image and merch rights), changing your voice is the epitome of high risk-zero gain move.
8. (Because NUGGETZ!) I need to believe no one is degitalised or dehumanised enough to forsake a brother for 30 years (and relative musical chemistry, the most important asset for a band) in order to grab a handful of hypothetical new fans who won't give a crap anyway because nowadays music is mostly browsed, not listened to.

Said that, I agree we won't see a second James' album post MP's return, because I suspect there will be no second DT album post MP's return. I feel the return itself has been a nice home stretch move for The last big firework and graceful retirement. I'm not ready (and willing) for the old prostate DT nostalgia act.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 03:56:09 AM by Indiscipline »

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1473 on: November 09, 2023, 03:47:03 AM »
What a gloriously strange beautiful crazy beast DT fandom is; the prodigal son has just come back and we slay the singer in celebration.

I'm sorry.  Ot was supposed to be a positive feel good post.  :lol

I know mate, just pointing out funny stuff in my dada sorta way and - hating using emoticons and being hated by the BBCode Bitch - couldn't convey the levity. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 03:52:47 AM by Indiscipline »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1474 on: November 09, 2023, 03:57:05 AM »

Now I'm going to make a lot of assumptions and probably not a lot of sense but - strange beautiful crazy beast again -  as a fan I can't help to feel I've been knowing the guys for 30 plus years while realising I actually know nothing. True, all the pieces are there for a Six Degrees Tour deflagration (and worse), but only if we pretend the context hasn't radically changed, but it has:

1. I doubt the Mike / James past situation wasn't the very first point of mandatory agreement for this whole "original" line-up fiesta.
2. The Mike sitting James down was Founder Mike, the Mike facing the issue today is Returning after Exile Mike. That tends to change emotions quite a lot in a band relationship.
3. The 2001/2002 James could be expected to tear walls down, James today could be only respected for playing the instrument father time loves to damage the most.
4. Now Mike has seen both DT without James (WDADU, going nowhere) and without himself (3 great albums, 2 ok ones). That tends to change emotions even more.
5. Mike in 2001/2002 aimed at metal world domination and James' "problems" were on the way, Mike today can be content to stay relevant and close a titanic career gracefully.
6. Today John would never entertain the notion of dumping James, and he knows he controls the band now.
7. The market and industry today are light years from 2001 (you used to sell records and own your image and merch rights), changing your voice is the epitome of high risk-zero gain move.
8. (Because NUGGETZ!) I need to believe no one is degitalised or dehumanised enough to forsake a brother for 30 years (and relative musical chemistry, the most important asset for a band) in order to grab a handful of hypothetical new fans who won't give a crap anyway because nowadays music is mostly browsed, not listened to.

Said that, I agree we won't see a second James' album post MP's return, because I suspect there will be no second DT album post MP's return. I feel the return itself has been a nice home stretch move for The last big firework and graceful retirement. I'm not ready (and willing) for the old prostate DT nostalgia act.

Nice post.  Some good points here.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1475 on: November 09, 2023, 04:01:00 AM »

I'm sorry.  Ot was supposed to be a positive feel good post.  :lol

I know mate, just pointing out funny stuff in my dada sorta way and - hating using emoticons and being hated by the BBCode Bitch - couldn't convey the levity.

Haha, I wasn't fully serious either.  I knew it had potential to spark something being a roomful of DT fans.  :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1476 on: November 09, 2023, 04:11:15 AM »
I'm regretting coming over to the DT side entirely. I make a pretty bland observation, and an anecdotal one at that, and suddenly I've got the feeling I've personally insulted half a dozen folks. Except Tim, he graciously told me I'm not wrong.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1477 on: November 09, 2023, 04:13:27 AM »
Just to put things into perspective, let's imagine James being let go after 2002. This would mean that:

- James would have been forever the "classic" singer of DT, with a de facto 10 years tenure, just like Bruce Dickinson's first stint with Iron Maiden, give or take. He'd have 5 albums to his name.

- Assuming the replacement singer was not a disaster and would have stayed with the band ever since, it would be 20 years and counting of tenure, twice as James, and with 9 albums ready to record the 10th. Twice the number of albums, twice the years.

It's crazy to think that what right then and there in 2002 (I was already a fan) would have felt like an absolute earthquake and defining moment for the band, would have eventually turned out to be "just" another chapter in the road. Kinda just like Kevin Moore was the original keyboard player, Derek stayed for some years, Jordan arrived and was the "new" guy and became the ultimate keyboard player of the band.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1478 on: November 09, 2023, 04:22:53 AM »
I'm regretting coming over to the DT side entirely. I make a pretty bland observation, and an anecdotal one at that, and suddenly I've got the feeling I've personally insulted half a dozen folks. Except Tim, he graciously told me I'm not wrong.

Personally, I believe your post made a lot of sense from a broad perspective. Zooming in I don't agree, but it still makes a lot of sense.

Plus, there is a little corner of the DT side that is currently sorely missing you!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1479 on: November 09, 2023, 04:25:18 AM »

To clarify, I agree with him being somewhat of of barrier like you mentioned.  I've heard people not liking the band cause of James too.  I would have thought most of us would have, I thought that was a common critique, at least read similar comments online over time.

It's funny, going back to Tim's post in regards to his wife, my misses fucking hates his breathy softer voice.  My misses thinks he's trying to sound sexy or something but is failing miserably.

He is a polarising aspect to the band no doubt but at the same time the voice we recognise instantly when it comes to DT.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1480 on: November 09, 2023, 04:38:22 AM »

Personally, I believe your post made a lot of sense from a broad perspective. Zooming in I don't agree, but it still makes a lot of sense.

Plus, there is a little corner of the DT side that is currently sorely missing you!

What? Wear?... erm, Where? Do you mean...?

@Wolfy. Yeah, we all adore DT, and James is a big part of it. I personally know folks who would feel the same about DT if it weren't for his vocal stylings. That's all I was saying.

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1481 on: November 09, 2023, 05:42:19 AM »

I won't speak for anyone else, but I was not personally insulted by anything discussed.  I simply did not agree with your take and gave my reasons why.  No harm done.  :tup :tup

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1482 on: November 09, 2023, 05:43:13 AM »
Just throwing my two cents out to say that James' singing on Images & Words was a huge part of me getting into the band. It absolutely blew me away and I totally wanted to do what he did for several years in my late teens (couldn't in a million years). His voice is only a barrier to people who don't like that kind of singing, which, yeah. But James Hetfield's voice (or Dave Mustaine, or Axle Rose, or Kurt Cobain, etc.) is a barrier to me liking those bands. It's just the way things are.

This. 100%
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #1483 on: November 09, 2023, 05:53:14 AM »
Just throwing my two cents out to say that James' singing on Images & Words was a huge part of me getting into the band. It absolutely blew me away...

This. 100%

There are not that many things I do weekly, but one of them is listening to Surrounded, the Marquee version. LaBrie is exceptional and that song really is one that's close to my heart.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline emtee

« Reply #1484 on: November 09, 2023, 05:55:18 AM »
I would welcome any change in the band with an open mind. And the same holds true for all the bands I listen to. The music either works or it doesn't. I've enjoyed many bands music after major changes, like Journey for instance. The only album of theirs I don't own is the latest one. The music wasn't good. QR post Tate works for me. The music is enjoyable.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1485 on: November 09, 2023, 05:55:43 AM »

Gawd forbid, we agree with TheBarstoolWarrior or morawintersoul in their ‘opinions’ that Mangini was <fill in the blank> and we could be let go for going with the flow and being well educated adults that are smart enough to read between the lines, without having to be talked down to or preached to.

A pity.

Jeez. Now we're calling it a measure of intelligence?  At least the so-called "preachers" aren't singling out people and ridiculing them. 

A pity.

I offered an opinion. Of opinions….which I thought were well thought out and very well written.

Nothing more.

Even though you hurt people in the offering?  That's the whole point of everything I wrote about the nature of Mike M.'s no longer in the band. We say these things because "opinions!" like they're sacred, and yet they're not. It's not an excuse to say "my opinion!"; one still has to account for the facts, and one still has to own that what they say impacts other people.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1486 on: November 09, 2023, 06:01:57 AM »
The Velvet Underground
Marillion (yes; they are not as big as they were in '85-'87 and never achieved that after).
Black Sabbath (except for Dio)
Deep Purple
Genesis
I think these are just verifiably incorrect.

I can't imagine anyone saying "The Velvet Underground really took off when Lou Reed left!  That Doug Yule is the bomb!!!"  :) :) :)

Tony Martin - much as I love his work - played small clubs with Sabbath; with Ozzy they played stadia.  The Hughes/Gillan eras are, largely, afterthoughts.

The Ray Wilson version of Genesis died a quiet death.   Even Mike Rutherford says they maybe should have let things lie after Phil left.

The quintessential version of Purple is Mark II with Ian Gillan.  Yes, they put Coverdale in the RnRHoF, but I'm pretty sure Joe Lynn Turner didn't get the nod.  ;) They barely lasted a year and a half before Blackmore bailed, and the Bolin version is best left unremarked on.

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #1487 on: November 09, 2023, 06:08:21 AM »
That's the whole point of everything I wrote about the nature of Mike M.'s no longer in the band. We say these things because "opinions!" like they're sacred, and yet they're not. It's not an excuse to say "my opinion!"; one still has to account for the facts, and one still has to own that what they say impacts other people.

This discussion is partly no longer about content, philosophical perspectives are being explored here. Locke, Freud, Levinas... I'll see them all come across in these pages.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1488 on: November 09, 2023, 06:14:25 AM »
I'm another of those people that struggle with JLB's vocals.  They didn't stop me from getting into them in the first place, but back then there were a lot of bands I discovered that I liked instrumentally but not vocally.  It was effectively just a cost of doing business for awhile, particularly once I started exploring extreme metal and getting used to the vocal styles there.  Over time a lot of bands have lost their staying power in my rotation as I've found other bands who do similar things with vocals more to my preference, or just going in different directions altogether.  So JLB's vocals do keep me from revisiting DT material more than I do for sure, and I've on numerous occasions pondered who else would work in singing their songs. 

That said, at this point in the game it's definitely risky to do anything else drastic.  If JLB decided that his voice just can't handle the rigors of touring anymore and he retired, leaving the rest of the band to go on, that would be an utterly fascinating new chapter.  That to me seems unlikely at the moment.  I'm honestly surprised at all the people who seem to think the next album will be their last.  Perhaps I'm just not in the loop, but I don't foresee them retiring any time soon.  They may at some point lose some stage presence and need to reduce the scale of their shows and tours for reasons of endurance, but they're going to have their playing ability still for quite some time.  I saw Ravi Shankar live in his mid-80s, and walking across the stage for him was a bit of a challenge, but once sitting down he was still able to fly around the fretboard. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 06:19:55 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Awaken

« Reply #1489 on: November 09, 2023, 06:17:34 AM »

I have been thinking about this more lately, as well.  Hopefully it's not how things go, but if it is, I totally understand it couldn't last forever and really love the output from both MM and MP's eras of the band.

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #1490 on: November 09, 2023, 06:24:27 AM »
If JLB decided that his voice just can't handle the rigors of touring anymore and he retired, leaving the rest of the band to go on, that would be an utterly fascinating new chapter. 

To me, that would be so sad. He's been there since forever, I truly hope this classic line-up will fulfill the final chapter(s). Can't imagine anyone except LaBrie on vocals.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1491 on: November 09, 2023, 06:32:21 AM »
That's the whole point of everything I wrote about the nature of Mike M.'s no longer in the band. We say these things because "opinions!" like they're sacred, and yet they're not. It's not an excuse to say "my opinion!"; one still has to account for the facts, and one still has to own that what they say impacts other people.

This discussion is partly no longer about content, philosophical perspectives are being explored here. Locke, Freud, Levinas... I'll see them all come across in these pages.

Isn't that what philosophy does (or tries to do)?  It is, at its heart, the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence, and two very elemental parts of that are art and language.   

So many of the opinions - do I like James?  What were the circumstances of Mike M. leaving? - ultimately boil down to how people view the world, it's an impossible subject to avoid.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1492 on: November 09, 2023, 06:39:22 AM »

I have been thinking about this more lately, as well.  Hopefully it's not how things go, but if it is, I totally understand it couldn't last forever and really love the output from both MM and MP's eras of the band.

First off Indiscipline, great post. *conjecture mode on* I posited a scenario a few pages back where a band member, possibly named James, may have told JP,  "I've got one more album and tour left in my reserve tank and then I'm done." He's already stated publicly that he "can't sing like that any more."

So maybe MP and the rest of the gang know this is JLB's last hurrah and they are all on board. As far as what would come next....who knows.

Then again, I might be totally wrong. Maybe it's JR...or maybe everything stays the same.

My gut feeling is that this next album will be a watershed album (sorry Opeth)...but only time will tell.

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #1493 on: November 09, 2023, 07:21:39 AM »
Surely that's true Stadler... and it looks like you're with me in the Levinas-camp...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1494 on: November 09, 2023, 07:57:23 AM »

Yeah, you know me, I’m Mr. Gracious.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #1495 on: November 09, 2023, 08:11:09 AM »
While part of me wants DT to go on forever, one final album with MP followed by an old school three-hour set tour would be a great way to go. I would definitely pony up for a trip to the New York show for that. But definitely make it happen in 2025 because I've got a little one on the way and I don't see myself going anywhere next year lol.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1496 on: November 09, 2023, 08:20:13 AM »

What about a brother for 13 years? :P

I don't remember the exact words, but someone here posted what that I think is the most likely scenario:

1. "MP is back!" album
2. Just another DT album
3. "I guess that's it" album

I would welcome any change in the band with an open mind. And the same holds true for all the bands I listen to. The music either works or it doesn't.

I've been saying this for years and years and now that MP's back (not what I wanted), I've had to stand by my words even though I'm still a little upset about the whole thing :lol

I'm sure once 2024 arrives and they start the new album cycle I'll be 100% invested, tho.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1497 on: November 09, 2023, 08:27:59 AM »
1. "MP is back!" album
2. Just another DT album

This feels way more likely to me too. DT16 being their very last album would feel like cutting it off way too soon. You get Portnoy back after all these years and only make a single album with him?
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1498 on: November 09, 2023, 09:21:54 AM »
1. "MP is back!" album
2. Just another DT album

This feels way more likely to me too. DT16 being their very last album would feel like cutting it off way too soon. You get Portnoy back after all these years and only make a single album with him?
Doubtful.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #1499 on: November 09, 2023, 10:08:49 AM »
What if, with JLB's departure, MP takes on the role of full-time vocalist?

I'm kidding.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1500 on: November 09, 2023, 10:55:58 AM »
OK, I still have the attitude that I’m sitting around a bar having drinks and BS-ing with those present.  Same tone as yesterday.  Maybe I'll even buy an extra round. ;)

As to Mike Mangini:  thanks for the memories!  Class act all the way.  A treat to have met him twice, to say ‘thanks’, and talk hockey for a couple minutes (even though the Bruins lost a game to the Leafs that night in the playoffs).

Welcome back Mike Portnoy!  It was your ‘frontman’ antics at my first DT show when I went to see Queensryche that drew this wanna be drummer in.  Along with that amazing drumming on ‘Six Degrees’ (and all the LPs before and after).  And I rarely took my eyes off of him during the DC show with Petrucci last fall. Guess I’ll get to see him in person yet again.

So....  my feelings are still a bit mixed as to the changes at this time.

Real brief as to James.  I noticed a few off moments at the Philly concert this year.  No big deal. My friend who has cohosted numerous preshows with me (including JP’s) going back to 2014 said he wouldn’t attend another DT show again unless some changes were made.  Well, Portnoy was in the audience that night, so his thoughts must be closer to mine.

The future:  with modern technology, one might speculate that ideas and stems are already being floated around back and forth while current bandmember Mike is on tour.  That said, perhaps a couple could be finished off early next year, and a handful or so shows performed in NYC/Philly/Boston (two nights in each city) in late winter/early spring to keep the momentum going.  Perform 8-10 fixtures (1928 Overture / Strange Déjà vu, The Glass Prison, Misunderstood, As I Am, most of 8Vm would be great), the new songs, something LTE, with a small rotation such as the ADToE tour on alternate nights (along the lines of ‘Erotomania’, ‘At Wit’s End’, ‘Hollow Year’s one night, ‘Ytse Jam’, ‘Fall Into The Light’, ‘The Spirit Carries On’ the next).

Heck, Meanstreak might not be a bad opening act to have.

Having created yet more good publicity, have a new album ready for a bigger summer tour to follow, starting in either Europe or the States.  I know the South American fans would be hungry for a few performances.

Oh, and please, get rid of all the moving videos above the drum kit.  It was near impossible for me to focus on Mangini during the last tour with all the movement from my front row balcony seat.  Other times, he was just a silhouette. 

Now I’ll step back and order another round of drinks, and hand over the floor to all that follow.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 04:37:21 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1501 on: November 09, 2023, 12:26:26 PM »

I really like this. I enjoyed the hell out of them opening for John P, and made it a point to catch their full sets both times.  Really, really impressed.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1502 on: November 09, 2023, 12:30:32 PM »
OK, I still have the attitude that I’m sitting around a bar having drinks and BS-ing with those present.  Same tone as yesterday.  Maybe I'll even buy an extra round. ;)

HS reaches out and takes the beer from your outstretched hand.

"Thanks!" I exclaim, clinking glasses with you and toasting the evening to Mike Portnoy.

"Next rounds on me!"
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1503 on: November 09, 2023, 12:33:21 PM »

I really like this. I enjoyed the hell out of them opening for John P, and made it a point to catch their full sets both times.  Really, really impressed.

I thought the idea of the wives opening for JP with MP was an awesome idea.  I enjoyed it for that reason, but musically they didn't really click for me.  I'd rather not see it again, personally.  I'd much rather a Devin Townsend or similar open for DT. But maybe if Meanstreak became active and made new music, it could make sense to do.

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #1504 on: November 09, 2023, 12:33:34 PM »
Can't imagine anyone except LaBrie on vocals.

100%. The band isn't the same band without LaBrie to me.