Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 119434 times)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #1400 on: November 07, 2023, 10:23:13 AM »
Knowing that this new album will be compared A LOT to A View and that all eyes (ears) will be fixed on the drumming and songwriting, they really need to deliver big time. I bet they already had "basic" discussions of where they want to go with the new album.
If anything, most of the comparisons are probably going to be to Black Clouds and Silver Linings. There has already been a lot of discussion on here and other DT pages about whether or not they’re going to pick up where they left off with Portnoy. Also, as seen by old forum members returning after the news, I get the feeling a lot of people anticipating this album haven’t even heard A View.
Regardless it will be interesting to see what direction they settle on. I’m sure they have had conversations and are probably going to want to make a statement. I just hope they don’t go the Metropolis 3 route, but they seem to know better.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1401 on: November 07, 2023, 11:00:08 AM »
Knowing that this new album will be compared A LOT to A View and that all eyes (ears) will be fixed on the drumming and songwriting, they really need to deliver big time. I bet they already had "basic" discussions of where they want to go with the new album.
If anything, most of the comparisons are probably going to be to Black Clouds and Silver Linings. There has already been a lot of discussion on here and other DT pages about whether or not they’re going to pick up where they left off with Portnoy. Also, as seen by old forum members returning after the news, I get the feeling a lot of people anticipating this album haven’t even heard A View.
Regardless it will be interesting to see what direction they settle on. I’m sure they have had conversations and are probably going to want to make a statement. I just hope they don’t go the Metropolis 3 route, but they seem to know better.

I am more fascinated in how MP will integrate himself into the direction the band has gone since BC&SL

What I am wondering is if JP will incorporate his 8-String on this new album, if JR will include his many Gadgets, if there will be more JLB, JM, and MP lyrics.

What I am expecting is more of the same style we got with AVFTTOTW, but with more melody and better arrangements.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1402 on: November 07, 2023, 11:12:47 AM »

I agree overall, but I think there's a big chunk of the fanbase that will undoubtedly compare it with the output with MM because that's what came immediately before. If the new stuff with Portnoy ends up being "meh" (I'm not suggesting it will be) then all new new excitement for the lineup will wear off and it'll be perceived as a step back musically. I definitely agree they'll try to make a statement with this new album: "this is as best as DT gets".
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #1403 on: November 07, 2023, 11:18:45 AM »

I agree overall, but I think there's a big chunk of the fanbase that will undoubtedly compare it with the output with MM because that's what came immediately before. If the new stuff with Portnoy ends up being "meh" (I'm not suggesting it will be) then all new new excitement for the lineup will wear off and it'll be perceived as a step back musically. I definitely agree they'll try to make a statement with this new album: "this is as best as DT gets".

This perspective will be inevitable, taking into account the MM-years. Both for those who didn't accept a band without MP (I'm sure I'll read a lot of comments like "finally the band is back to being DT") and those who spent the last few years listening and appreciating what they had to offer us.

Offline naimad

• Osmosis
« Reply #1404 on: November 07, 2023, 11:47:20 AM »
I think what we got in LTE3 might be an indication of what DT16 might be. To me, it was an OK record. Nothing more, nothing less.
So I better lower my expectations a tiny bit.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1405 on: November 07, 2023, 01:28:39 PM »
I see no reason to think that the next album will be a drastic departure from what they have done the last several albums.  Other than the fact that the drum sound will likely be better produced. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1406 on: November 07, 2023, 01:35:38 PM »
If anything, most of the comparisons are probably going to be to Black Clouds and Silver Linings. There has already been a lot of discussion on here and other DT pages about whether or not they’re going to pick up where they left off with Portnoy.
I can't fathom why anyone would expect that. Years have passed and both MP and the rest of the band have made a lot of other music in that time.

I think what we got in LTE3 might be an indication of what DT16 might be.
Again, no idea why you would expect that. LTE is a very different type of project than DT.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1407 on: November 07, 2023, 01:39:35 PM »
I see no reason to think that the next album will be a drastic departure from what they have done the last several albums.  Other than the fact that the drum sound will likely be better produced.

Yeah, I feel the same.  I'm not sure there's any reason for me to raise expectation on DT's new music.  For one, I thought the albums with MM were solid and completely DT sounding.  Second, what has MP written since his departure that really makes me think he's going to add some good ideas to the new music?  I do think the chemistry between MP and JP could lift the new music to a higher level, but I'm not getting my hopes up.  I expect a solid DT album to continue what they've been doing this whole time.  It just may be too late in their career to make their best music now.  I just don't see it.  I'm sure it will be good though.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1408 on: November 07, 2023, 01:43:14 PM »
If anything, most of the comparisons are probably going to be to Black Clouds and Silver Linings. There has already been a lot of discussion on here and other DT pages about whether or not they’re going to pick up where they left off with Portnoy.
I can't fathom why anyone would expect that. Years have passed and both MP and the rest of the band have made a lot of other music in that time.
I mean, like I said that is just what I'm already seeing online. A lot of people are probably going to come into this as if the Mangini era never happened. I don't agree with it but nostalgia is a powerful thing.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 01:55:23 PM by Mosh »
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline naimad

• Osmosis
« Reply #1409 on: November 07, 2023, 01:54:43 PM »
Again, no idea why you would expect that. LTE is a very different type of project than DT.

Oh, I was talking about the general quality of the album, not much about the particular sound of it.
And I will say that to me LTE3 is in a similar level than AVFTTOTW. That's why I think it continues along the same lines.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1410 on: November 07, 2023, 03:26:51 PM »
So I'm not on social media lol, but I have a question...

Has any member of the band said anything anywhere about MP returning? I mean, it seems if you slept through the day that the press release was put out, you might think Mangini was still in the band.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1411 on: November 07, 2023, 03:28:15 PM »
James LaBrie made a post, it got reposted on here somewhere. I'm not really on social media either so I couldn't tell you where it was from.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1412 on: November 07, 2023, 04:53:29 PM »

Has any member of the band said anything anywhere about MP returning? I mean, it seems if you slept through the day that the press release was put out, you might think Mangini was still in the band.

As to Fbook:  jammindude posted JLB's post on Saturday (I added the pix after not seeing his post). 

Jordan posted the 'Hugh Syme' picture on October 25th at 11:12AM with the simple comment  "Yes, it's true. My musical brother, Mike Portnoy, is returning to Dream Theater!"

He also posted this on October 31st:

"In March 2021 after recording the third Liquid Tension Experiment album, my musical brother Mike Portnoy joined me for one of my Patreon exclusive live chats.
With Mike recently rejoining Dream Theater, I wanted to make this discussion available for everyone to enjoy!"

https://youtu.be/UwnenfLkdqs

#JordanRudess #MikePortnoy #LiveChat #Patreon #LiquidTensionExperiment #DreamTheater

John Petrucci, October 25th at 10:57 AM   

"I’m incredibly excited to welcome Mike Portnoy back into Dream Theater! As an original founding member, longtime friend and incredibly talented and creative drummer, I know that his return will bring a renewed spirit, passion and energy into DT that all of us, including our fans, will joyfully welcome. I can’t wait to roll up our sleeves and get back into the studio together!
Mike Mangini's drumming is otherworldly and I’m extremely grateful for the time he spent with us in Dream Theater. I’m very proud of all the amazing music we made together that culminated in our first GRAMMY win last year and the countless magical moments that we’ve shared on stage over the past 13 years. I wish him all the best of success in his future musical endeavors."

John Myung hasn't posted since 2021
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #1413 on: November 07, 2023, 04:58:21 PM »

When they rode the wave of success after SFAM and 6DOIT came out they were on fire. I feel like that fire might be relit but will be short lived. Let's hope for at least one last bang snap that has lasting power

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1414 on: November 07, 2023, 04:58:43 PM »
I've been thinking about something since that post James made professing his love for MP.  We all know the tension between the two back in the day and we all know MP had issues with James' live performances.  I'm thinking since MP has been out of the band looking in, he obviously now sees what an integral and important part of the machine James actually is despite any issues he has with his vocals.  I'm sure Mike thought back in the day that he wanted the band to be the most proficient and technically brilliant band out there and James obviously was the weak link and probably thought his performances at times were tarnishing their brand.

He has seen the band carry on successfully even with James vocals again not what they once were.  I'm thinking part of the make up between the two may have something to do with Portnoy being at peace with James, his ability and performances and accepting that while not perfect, the band is more than just being technically brilliant and now possibly values James for being THE voice of DT.  maybe he realises DT is not DT without James.  Again, this is all speculation on my part but I can't help but to think the time out must have opened Mike's eyes to see things differently in relation to the band, James and their ongoing popularity.

Don't want to cause anything but just been really thinking about that possibility.  If anything, it's a good thing.  The time out for Mike was needed to see things from a different perspective so they can now carry on stronger than ever.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1415 on: November 07, 2023, 05:09:26 PM »
... the band is more than just being technically brilliant and now possibly values James for being THE voice of DT.  maybe he realises DT is not DT without James.  Again, this is all speculation on my part but I can't help but to think the time out must have opened Mike's eyes to see things differently in relation to the band, James and their ongoing popularity.

I used to theorize that what might've drove MP crazy was realizing that his wagons were as much tied to James as much as they were any other member of the band.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1416 on: November 07, 2023, 05:15:47 PM »

As to Fbook:  jammindude posted JLB's post on Saturday (I added the pix after not seeing his post). 

Jordan posted the 'Hugh Syme' picture on October 25th at 11:12AM with the simple comment  "Yes, it's true. My musical brother, Mike Portnoy, is returning to Dream Theater!"

He also posted this on October 31st:

"In March 2021 after recording the third Liquid Tension Experiment album, my musical brother Mike Portnoy joined me for one of my Patreon exclusive live chats.
With Mike recently rejoining Dream Theater, I wanted to make this discussion available for everyone to enjoy!"

https://youtu.be/UwnenfLkdqs

#JordanRudess #MikePortnoy #LiveChat #Patreon #LiquidTensionExperiment #DreamTheater

John Petrucci, October 25th at 10:57 AM   

"I’m incredibly excited to welcome Mike Portnoy back into Dream Theater! As an original founding member, longtime friend and incredibly talented and creative drummer, I know that his return will bring a renewed spirit, passion and energy into DT that all of us, including our fans, will joyfully welcome. I can’t wait to roll up our sleeves and get back into the studio together!
Mike Mangini's drumming is otherworldly and I’m extremely grateful for the time he spent with us in Dream Theater. I’m very proud of all the amazing music we made together that culminated in our first GRAMMY win last year and the countless magical moments that we’ve shared on stage over the past 13 years. I wish him all the best of success in his future musical endeavors."

The oldest guy on the forum schools me on social media! :lol :lol

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1417 on: November 07, 2023, 05:45:48 PM »
... the band is more than just being technically brilliant and now possibly values James for being THE voice of DT.  maybe he realises DT is not DT without James.  Again, this is all speculation on my part but I can't help but to think the time out must have opened Mike's eyes to see things differently in relation to the band, James and their ongoing popularity.

I used to theorize that what might've drove MP crazy was realizing that his wagons were as much tied to James as much as they were any other member of the band.
No doubt. If he was experiencing regret in the 00s about DT hiring JLB, he probably knew that there was not really anything he could do about it.

To that end, I think it is worth remembering that quite a bit of time has past since JLB and MP were making shots each other, and an even longer time since the "ultimatum" era. The band dynamics have changed quite a bit and getting rid of JLB becomes less of an option with each decade that he remains in the band. If that was going to be a risky change in 2002, imagine them trying to do that 20 years later. I also think that even if MP has problems with LaBrie's voice or the current state of his voice, he has probably made peace with the fact that being in Dream Theater with a vocalist he doesn't really care for is very preferable to not being in Dream Theater at all. Of course, I hope that in addition to patching up their relationship, they have learned to appreciate what the other brings to the table in the band. We don't really know how Portnoy's connection to JLB and his singing has evolved in the 13 years since the split.

I've been thinking a lot of the same thoughts as wolfking lately. I actually think -and hope- that this lineup change can be an opportunity for reapproaching the vocals in the band. We all know JLB has had some issues on tour and personally I just am not a big fan of how he has been produced/the parts they are writing for him. Maybe the band can have an honest conversation about how to handle the vocals in a way that allows JLB to age gracefully, rather than force him to sing outside of a comfortable range. Maybe Portnoy can come in with an outside perspective and as an audience member during the summer tour. This is probably the single area where I hope DT16 will take a different approach compared to the last couple albums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1418 on: November 07, 2023, 07:13:33 PM »

No doubt. If he was experiencing regret in the 00s about DT hiring JLB, he probably knew that there was not really anything he could do about it.

To that end, I think it is worth remembering that quite a bit of time has past since JLB and MP were making shots each other, and an even longer time since the "ultimatum" era. The band dynamics have changed quite a bit and getting rid of JLB becomes less of an option with each decade that he remains in the band. If that was going to be a risky change in 2002, imagine them trying to do that 20 years later. I also think that even if MP has problems with LaBrie's voice or the current state of his voice, he has probably made peace with the fact that being in Dream Theater with a vocalist he doesn't really care for is very preferable to not being in Dream Theater at all. Of course, I hope that in addition to patching up their relationship, they have learned to appreciate what the other brings to the table in the band. We don't really know how Portnoy's connection to JLB and his singing has evolved in the 13 years since the split.

I've been thinking a lot of the same thoughts as wolfking lately. I actually think -and hope- that this lineup change can be an opportunity for reapproaching the vocals in the band. We all know JLB has had some issues on tour and personally I just am not a big fan of how he has been produced/the parts they are writing for him. Maybe the band can have an honest conversation about how to handle the vocals in a way that allows JLB to age gracefully, rather than force him to sing outside of a comfortable range. Maybe Portnoy can come in with an outside perspective and as an audience member during the summer tour. This is probably the single area where I hope DT16 will take a different approach compared to the last couple albums.

I think this too.  Hopefully they can as you say sit down and have an open discussion and collaborate and come up with the best play moving forward.

That's a good perspective mate.  Definitely could be true.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1419 on: November 07, 2023, 08:18:03 PM »

He also hasn't spoken since 2021.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #1420 on: November 07, 2023, 10:19:59 PM »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1421 on: November 08, 2023, 01:15:22 AM »
I've been thinking about something since that post James made professing his love for MP.  We all know the tension between the two back in the day and we all know MP had issues with James' live performances.  I'm thinking since MP has been out of the band looking in, he obviously now sees what an integral and important part of the machine James actually is despite any issues he has with his vocals.  I'm sure Mike thought back in the day that he wanted the band to be the most proficient and technically brilliant band out there and James obviously was the weak link and probably thought his performances at times were tarnishing their brand.

He has seen the band carry on successfully even with James vocals again not what they once were.  I'm thinking part of the make up between the two may have something to do with Portnoy being at peace with James, his ability and performances and accepting that while not perfect, the band is more than just being technically brilliant and now possibly values James for being THE voice of DT.  maybe he realises DT is not DT without James.  Again, this is all speculation on my part but I can't help but to think the time out must have opened Mike's eyes to see things differently in relation to the band, James and their ongoing popularity.

Don't want to cause anything but just been really thinking about that possibility.  If anything, it's a good thing.  The time out for Mike was needed to see things from a different perspective so they can now carry on stronger than ever.

Excellent post! I completely agree, for better or worse - and for me it's definitively better - James IS the voice of DT, the voice of each and every single album save the debut, and after an entire carrer with his voice, nothing and no one else would feel right.

Are there scores of young, unknown singers out there who would be able to sing DT's material? without a doubt. Who of them would feel "right" with the band? no one. Hey, this goes for anyone. There are dozens of great young singers who can sing every song in Iron Maiden's catalogue and probably have an overall better performance live than Bruce Dickinson. Who could however match his actual voice, his charisma, his stage presence and personality? no one.

This works for everyone, even singers who are not even that technically great to begin with. The list of singers better than Ozzy is basically endless. Who else could take his place in Black Sabbath? not even Dio could. Or Axl Rose, scores of singers could do better than his cat-being-strangled wailing, but no one could match the persona, the charisma and the allure he brings to the table.

James IS the voice of Dream Theater. No one else could replace him and make it still sound like it's Dream Theater.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1422 on: November 08, 2023, 03:17:49 AM »
Pfhah! Dio did just fine in Sabbath. They were way bigger with Dio than with Ozzy. Selling out arenas instead of half filling them. He just pushed for too much control.

No one is irreplaceable. Including James.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1423 on: November 08, 2023, 03:34:32 AM »
There’s a huge difference in changing your lead singer after being around for 10 years vs changing them at nearly 40 years.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1424 on: November 08, 2023, 03:38:51 AM »

I agree. With age and the passage of time, the guys at DT might have realized that if a reunion with MP was ever going to happen, it's about time to make it happen. They might also realize that life is too short to settle with the live performances JLB has been delivering. Existential dread might creep in, who knows. That said, I'm torn about the whole thing. James is great in the studio and his voice is as unique as it gets. Hate the backing tracks live. Maybe some actual background vocalists would be a good compromise.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1425 on: November 08, 2023, 03:48:42 AM »

In the literal and phyical sense of the word, I agree. There are out there singers that can sing as good as James, guitarists who can play as good as Petrucci, keyboard players tht can play as good as Jordan, drummers who can play as good as Portnoy (case in point: he left and they got Mike Mangini) and bass players tha can play as good as Myung.

But as Trav86 says, after nearly 40 years there's no way any band would feel the same without a key member. Can Steve Harris be replaced in Iron Maiden? sure, there are tons of bassists out there who could play like him and replicate his tone and even his poses when playing live. That's what cover bands are for however.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1426 on: November 08, 2023, 03:51:48 AM »
Pfhah! Dio did just fine in Sabbath. They were way bigger with Dio than with Ozzy. Selling out arenas instead of half filling them. He just pushed for too much control.

I do agree he's not irreplaceable, that wasn't my point or what I was saying in my post though.

In the literal and phyical sense of the word, I agree. There are out there singers that can sing as good as James, guitarists who can play as good as Petrucci, keyboard players tht can play as good as Jordan, drummers who can play as good as Portnoy (case in point: he left and they got Mike Mangini) and bass players tha can play as good as Myung.

But as Trav86 says, after nearly 40 years there's no way any band would feel the same without a key member. Can Steve Harris be replaced in Iron Maiden? sure, there are tons of bassists out there who could play like him and replicate his tone and even his poses when playing live. That's what cover bands are for however.

I get what you're saying but Harris isn't the best comparison.  He's the boss in that band.

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #1427 on: November 08, 2023, 05:17:24 AM »

💯 I hope they'll continue to evolve and create music from the place they're at now, and not regress.

Honestly, this gives me hope that they will not regress.

It just may be too late in their career to make their best music now.  I just don't see it. 
What makes you think this? This is just my opinion, but I think the last two albums are some of the best music ever - for both  technical precision and refinement as well as emotional impact.

ALL of this.

James IS the voice of Dream Theater. No one else could replace him and make it still sound like it's Dream Theater.
While I'm inclined to agree with you that he is the classic voice of the band, I can't entirely agree that there would be no one who could replace him if he either decided to retire or for some reason could not (physically/vocally) continue. But it couldn't be just anyone, it would have to be exactly the right one.

There is only one that I know of that I would nominate. This performance of one of my favorite songs literally brought me to tears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVK2mz1nceU
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 10:34:54 PM by crystalstars17 »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1428 on: November 08, 2023, 05:36:57 AM »

I do agree he's not irreplaceable, that wasn't my point or what I was saying in my post though.

Um, mate, I was talking to MirrorMask, not critiquing your post. I'm not insane.  :biggrin:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1429 on: November 08, 2023, 05:46:16 AM »
I'm going to let y'all in on a secret I've known since '92. James is as much of a barrier to DT success than he is an asset. I know, I know, we all love him, and his style of singing has gotten under our skin. But I promise you, the majority of people I've shared music with, don't like DT because of the singer. A few have been musicians too, which really surprised me.

Before I get shouted down about James bashing. I love him, always have. I'd be happier if his breathy voice was used less, but other than that... His current struggles live don't even bother me at all. His stage presence is fine, and his banter is often so bad it's fantastic. I don't want him replaced. Period.

But if it happened, I'd be intrigued.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1430 on: November 08, 2023, 05:54:40 AM »
You're not wrong Gregg. I introduced Dream Theater to The Lovely Mrs TAC in 1996 and the first thing she said was that the singer was awful. She's never changed her mind.

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #1431 on: November 08, 2023, 06:33:28 AM »
Before I get shouted down about James bashing. I love him, always have. I'd be happier if his breathy voice was used less, but other than that... His current struggles live don't even bother me at all. His stage presence is fine, and his banter is often so bad it's fantastic. I don't want him replaced. Period.

Oh, same! I have always been a supporter and am not advocating for his replacement. I would only accept it if it were either his own decision or because he literally could not continue. I'm saying it would be possible for the band to continue with just the right replacement if that were absolutely necessary.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1432 on: November 08, 2023, 06:47:17 AM »
To me, changing singers is the ultimate gamble for any established band.

Look what Redemption did bringing in Tom Englund. They are now unlistenable to me.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1433 on: November 08, 2023, 06:48:45 AM »
💯 I hope they'll continue to evolve and create music from the place they're at now, and not regress.

Regress? Their music used to be much more dynamic than it has been recently.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #1434 on: November 08, 2023, 07:10:07 AM »
I'm going to let y'all in on a secret I've known since '92. James is as much of a barrier to DT success than he is an asset. I know, I know, we all love him, and his style of singing has gotten under our skin. But I promise you, the majority of people I've shared music with, don't like DT because of the singer. A few have been musicians too, which really surprised me.

Not at all looking to quibble (I respect your thoughts and opinion), but I could just as easily insert 'Geddy' into your post and re-post it.

Bottom line, I disagree with the idea that James has been a barrier (I mean, do we really think another singer would've made a difference in a post-Nirvana '90s?????). I also think that, in the long run, he gave the band a distinct sound, which has been an asset.

Rush went out on their own terms, with their original singer struggling at times, and their popularity was a strong as ever at the end. Could Rush have been bigger at one point with a different singer? Probably. But I sincerely doubt that they have the decades-long run they had with anyone else.

And to this day, I have yet to meet another person (outside of this forum or a Rush concert) who 'loves' Geddy's voice (I do).