Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 916357 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Lars looks like he's thinking "...........and they call me a tool?"  ;D

Jason Newsted is really pondering his escape. :lol

Ranking-
1. Black Album
2. And Justice For All
3. Master of Puppets
4. Kill 'em All
5. Ride the Lightning / Load
7. Reload
8. Deaf Magnetic
lol. St Anger

If Load/Reload was one album edited to about an hour in length with what I consider the best stuff, I'd probably rank it top 3. A lot of these are pretty close though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lowdz

I finally found time to scour my collection for live albums that made an impact on me and there sure ain't many....like I said before , live albums really never grabbed me much but I will check out those from all your lists that I am not familiar with.   I was surprised to see KISS Alive 3 get a few mentions but now that I have scanned my memory I think that I also played that more than any other KISS live album.    I think I was really big into Revenge around that time and had a renewed love for the band and wore that out around the time of the tour (which I attended).

The top two or three were very important albums for me - the next couple I really enjoyed and the rest got occasional play.  I struggled to get to ten to be honest. 

1. Ozzy Osbourne: Randy Rhoads Tribute
2. Dokken : Beast From The East
3. WASP: Live...........In The Raw
4. KISS : Alive III
5  Judas Priest :  Priest..........Live
6. Tesla: Five Man Acoustical Jam
7 Queensryche: Operation : Livecrime
8. John Norum : Live In Stockholm
9 Dokken: One Live Night
10 Glenn Hughes: Burning Japan Live

If I allowed myself to drift into prog territory then Live At The marquee would get a mention.

I'll tally these up later to see if there was a clear champ.

In the meantime we seem to have drifted into Metallica territory so why not make this week their week. It's been done to death in their thread already I imagine but they deserve their spot here ,so they get it anyway :)   Usual drill - rank the discog (or Top 5) and Top 10 songs.

Yikes .................... ;D

The very obviously looped audience noise ruined Live In the Raw for me. Will do a live albums list when I get home. I used to love live albums, and still love the old ones but I really don't feel the same for new ones. I'd rather watch a dvd than listen to a live album now.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Master of Puppets
Ride the Lightning
And Justice for All
Black Album
Kill 'em All
Load
St. Anger
Re-Load
Death Magnetic (just could never get into it . . .)

Garage Inc. would probably go somewhere around Kill 'em All.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I actually had a nice listen to Load last week. It's been awhile since I played the thing from front to back. It's really not a bad album in and of itself. But I came up with Metallica, and to think that Dyer's Eve and Hero Of The Day are just two albums apart doesn't make much sense. Anyway, I find some If they took off Poor Twisted Me, Mama Said, and Ronnie, it would jack the overall rating much higher.
Ronnie is interesting, but it's a B side at best and does not deserve a spot on a proper Metallica album. Same with Mama Said.
One song that I have enjoyed listening to this time around is Thorn Inside. Love the rhythm guitars on that.

Anyway, my listings:
1. Kill 'Em All
2. And Justice For All
3. Master Of Puppets
4. Ride The Lightning
5. Death Magnetic

6. Load

7/8. Reload/St. Anger

Songs:
1. Master Of Puppets
2. Blackened
3. One
4. Dyer's Eve
5. Whiplash
6. Hit The Lights
7. Fade To Black
8. The Four Horsemen
9. Damage Inc.
10. Fade To Black

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Master of Puppets
And Justice
Ride the Lightning
Black Album
Kill Em All

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
What I thought was interesting with the Flemming interview was that James played Kirk's equipment to double up the rhythms. I had never heard that before. I wonder if Kirk played on St. Anger at all!

Man, if Justice sounded like Puppets, it would really be breathtaking.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
New Chris Holmes video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqX-BC7ImXU

It's so bad it's awesome! :lol Is that even possible??

How this man does not have his own reality TV series, I'll never know!

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
This guy is a nutbar. Has he always been like this, or just the booze.

Song is the shits

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Zakk Wylde + 15 years.

In the comments someone called it "homeless bum metal" :metal :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Anyway, my listings:
1. Kill 'Em All
2. And Justice For All
3. Master Of Puppets
4. Ride The Lightning
5. Death Magnetic

6. Load

7/8. Reload/St. Anger

I think you're missing one there. :justjen

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
If I can block out DLR and concentrate on the music ,then I am really liking the setlist that VH are playing on the new tour.  Wolf is in charge of the setlist and he's tailored it to the diehards and filled it with cool deep cuts, opening with my favourite DLR-era song

1) LIGHT UP THE SKY!!! (Van Halen II classic not performed since ’80!)
2) RUNNIN’ WITH THE DEVIL
3) ROMEO DELIGHT
4) EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
5) DROP DEAD LEGS!!! (1984 classic – never performed live!)
6) FEEL YOUR LOVE TONIGHT (Van Halen classic not performed since ’98!)
7) SOMEBODY GET ME A DOCTOR!
8) SHE’S THE WOMAN
9) CHINA TOWN
10) I’LL WAIT
11) DRUM SOLO
12) LITTLE GUITARS
13) DANCE THE NIGHT AWAY
14) BEAUTIFUL GIRLS
15) WOMEN IN LOVE…
16) HOT FOR TEACHER
17) IN A SIMPLE RHYME!!! (W&CF classic not performed since club days!)
18) GROWTH!! (W&CF instrumental very rarely performed!)
19) DIRTY MOVIES!!! (Fair Warning classic – never performed live!)
20) Dave playing harmonica & ICE CREAM MAN
21) UNCHAINED
22) AIN’T TALKIN ‘BOUT LOVE
23) GUITAR SOLO (9 minutes long)
24) YOU REALLY GOT ME
25) PANAMA
26) JUMP

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
1/3/4 are a piss weak way to start a set, and I don't even know wtf 17/18 are, but aside from that it's pretty good. They could have chosen so much better deep cuts than those.
I checked out the clips yesterday of Drop Dead Legs and Dirty Movies, and they were sounding good, and DLR was about what you'd expect.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Light Up The Sky is not a pissweak anything  :P

And you don't recall In A Simple Rhyme ?

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
WACF is throwaway. The only song I could recall from the album off the top of my head is And The Cradle Will Rock, and even that's only average. And Light Up The Sky is the first of the filler track run on VH2.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Well I am used to you having the opposite take to most people I know by now Blob  :lol   As far as VH 2 goes , I love it all to varying extents but most people I know consider Track 1 to be the start of the filler there and Light Up The Sky to be the awesome peak  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I love most of VH2, but tracks 6/7/8 are the lull inbetween everything else being awesome.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
WACF is throwaway. The only song I could recall from the album off the top of my head is And The Cradle Will Rock, and even that's only average.

1/3/4 are a piss weak way to start a set

So how did you know tracks 3 & 4 on the setlist are pissweak ?  :neverusethis:

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Because obviously I've tried listening to it enough times to know it's crap, and therefore don't remember any of it, smartass. ;)

Oh, actually I do remember Loss of Control, where they just scream LOSS OF CONTROL obnoxiously for 2 minutes over some annoying noises.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Things would work out better for you if you try and remember the good songs  ;D  And it's Mr. Smartass to you young man   :hat

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I remember all the good songs, which hasn't left any room for filler like WACF. It's almost offensively bad.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That is a an awesome VH setlist!!

Light up the Sky is a killer song

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Anyway, my listings:
1. Kill 'Em All
2. And Justice For All
3. Master Of Puppets
4. Ride The Lightning
5. Death Magnetic

6. Load

7/8. Reload/St. Anger

Oh shit you're right. The Black Album. Put it at a tie with DM. 

Offline Lowdz

WACF is throwaway. The only song I could recall from the album off the top of my head is And The Cradle Will Rock, and even that's only average. And Light Up The Sky is the first of the filler track run on VH2.

CTBM? is the best song on the album. And I quite like this album

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

CTBM? is the best song on the album. And I quite like this album

I just realized I've never listened to this song all the way through. Is this supposed to be a joke song? It sounds like it's right off Strummin' With The Devil, the bluegrass VH tribute album. :lol
Oh wait, that has a cover of CTBM, and it doesn't sound much different.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Damn he's fit if that photo is real.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Damn he's fit if that photo is real.

No kidding

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Having a Metallica listening day today , so I can get my list up before the week ends in the northern hemisphere.  This will include my first proper listen to the post-TBA albums.   If Load is any indication I am not going to find it particularly  enjoyable. Not horrific ,but very "flat" and nothing really memorable.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 12:24:16 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Songs:
1. Master Of Puppets
2. Blackened
3. One
4. Dyer's Eve
5. Whiplash
6. Hit The Lights
7. Fade To Black
8. The Four Horsemen
9. Damage Inc.
10. Fade To Black

Missing one here too .  Is that you king?  ;D

Well St Anger has me pissing myself laughing -not sure if to award extra points for that or not

« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 12:59:15 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Haha

It wouldn't bother me if I never heard a post TBA Metallica song again. All of it is decent- good material though

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
My son just walked in on me playing Blackened ................I went to switch it off as I thought it might be a bit too much ,but he started running around to the rhythm  (I'll call it "moshing ") and said "That's impressive (never used that word before in my presence) ......I want you to put that on my next CD Daddy"  :lol   :metal    He might like AJFA more than me :neverusethis:

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Sounds like Metallica just passed Kiss for your sons favorite band!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Some worry about their kids catching them in the bedroom, others its music. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I always had a soft spot for St Anger.  It has a certain, depressed and tormented atmosphere to it.  It reflects the band's state of mind at the time, which I really like.  I like the rawness of it too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I finally got through my Metallica listening and so here's my album ranking:

1. Master of Puppets
2. Black Album

3. Ride The Lightning

4. Reload
5. Death Magnetic
6. And Justice For All
7. Kill Em All

8.Load

15. St Anger (sorry Kade... ;D )

The biggest frustration for me was Death Magnetic - surprisingly good but what could have been a really great album is ruined by a lot of unnecessary fat on the songs (they don't have the tools - apart from Lars :neverusethis: - to be writing prog length tracks/instrumentals throughout) and Kirk Hammett is one of the few guitarists who has the special talent of ruining a whole song for me with his solos and he exceeds expectations on Death Magnetic.  :-\  Stuff like Judas Kiss could've been close to Top 10 for me if his awful solo was removed.

My ratings across the catalogue are quite similar to those I have for DT - one of the best albums ever recorded up top , 2 or 3 more seriously excellent releases , a bunch around the 70-80 mark and 2 or 3 really average ones rounding things out.

Top Ten Songs

Creeping Death
For Whom The Bell Tolls
Master of Puppets
Battery
Sanitarium
Disposable Heroes
Orion
One
Holier Than THou
The Unforgiven

www.theguitardojo.com.au