Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation  (Read 257164 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation
« Reply #2870 on: June 20, 2016, 10:30:22 AM »
Yeah, definitely both. Certainly wasn't about appeasement, though. Just multiculturalism.

Yeah. The bridge already had an asian man, and a black female; it was about diversity and acceptance and striving for equality, not pandering. Having a Russian at that time would have been significant given the era.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2871 on: June 20, 2016, 11:00:24 AM »
Well, certainly pandering to teenage girls.  :lol

Looks like the vehicle he was driving was under a recall for. . . wait for it. . .not being in park when people thought it was. BMW gave me a loaner car with one of those electronic ZF trannies and I found it pretty unnerving. I can definitely see how it happens. A PRNDL should have set positions. These are simply a cycle switch with a light on the dash to tell you what it does.

It's a trip, the more they make cars safer, the more they make them completely unintuitive.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2872 on: June 20, 2016, 11:13:19 AM »
Well, certainly pandering to teenage girls.  :lol

Ok yes that, I was referring more to the Russian part of the equation than the teenager part. :lol

As for the car thing, it just feels such a senseless way to go.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #2873 on: June 21, 2016, 01:35:32 AM »
It's a trip, the more they make cars safer, the more they make them completely unintuitive.

These are my thoughts exactly.

Lane-drift alarms.  Tailgating alarms.  Sudden-stop if you're gonna run into something.  Blind-spot radar.

Unless you're a completely self-driving car I don't think any of these should be on any manually-operated vehicle.  I feel like all they do is teach us how to *not* use our own senses while we drive and encourage distraction by making us feel a lot safer than we actually are... like "Meh, I'm super tired but that's ok, if I start to drift it'll wake me up."  Not cool.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2875 on: June 23, 2016, 12:22:35 PM »
That was a good interview. I'm feeling much more confident in Fuller after watching that, he seems to know what Trek is about, and it sounds like it will be what I want from Trek at this time.

(I'll excuse him for getting the number of episodes wrong, as he clearly just got the 2 and 6 swapped around :blob: )

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2876 on: June 23, 2016, 01:15:01 PM »
What did he say ?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2877 on: June 23, 2016, 11:48:43 PM »
He said 762 total episodes of Star Trek. Innocent mistake.

In case people haven't seen yet, CBS/Paramount just released an official list of fan film guidelines that is sending everyone nuts. Rule 1 is perhaps the worst of them for most fan films.
https://www.startrek.com/fan-films

Thanks Axanar for fucking everyone. Bunch of assholes.

Happy 50th anniversary Trek! Fan films are dead, as is a main cast member, the new movie is not looking promising to put it very kindly, and if you rely on Netflix, the first 7 movies will also be gone by next month. Great time to be a fan! :)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2878 on: June 24, 2016, 12:01:38 AM »
and if you rely on Netflix, the first 7 movies will also be gone by next month. Great time to be a fan! :)

Wait....what? I lent most of my DVDs to my mom because I had Netflix!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

Online Adami

« Reply #2880 on: June 24, 2016, 12:06:23 AM »
Ohhhhh. I totally misread your post. I have all the movies. I thought you meant the shows. I lent her DS9 and Voyager.

No worries, carry on!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2881 on: June 24, 2016, 12:23:55 AM »
Crisis averted! Just the movies. Given the timing, maybe Paramount figured Beyond might look better if the average person didn't have a baseline for how good a Trek movie should be. :neverusethis:

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #2882 on: June 24, 2016, 03:36:47 AM »
Good interview with Fuller. I was looking forward to exploring the time between ST6 and ST7 so I'm not exactly overjoyed it's off the table. The hint at known characters guesting "eventually" probably points to post VOY era. Good thing Comic Con and more news are only a month away.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2883 on: June 24, 2016, 03:40:19 AM »
Good interview with Fuller. I was looking forward to exploring the time between ST6 and ST7 so I'm not exactly overjoyed it's off the table. The hint at known characters guesting "eventually" probably points to post VOY era. Good thing Comic Con and more news are only a month away.

Greetings...
Nef

I didn't get any indication that ST6 era was off the table, but one can hope. The best thing they could do is go post VOY/NEM.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2884 on: June 24, 2016, 07:24:15 AM »
For reals? :(

https://trekmovie.com/2016/06/21/classic-trek-films-warping-away-from-netflix-july-1st/
Well, it doesn't have anything to do with the 50th or Axanar or anything.  Movies and TV shows are only under contract to be on Netflix (or Hulu, or Amazon Prime, or Crackle, or anything else) for so long.  Some things leave those services every month, and new stuff shows up every month.

Star Trek films are gone from Netflix (in the US, anyway) as of July, but showing up are things including the Lethal Weapon films and the Back to the Future films.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2885 on: June 24, 2016, 07:26:39 AM »
For reals? :(

https://trekmovie.com/2016/06/21/classic-trek-films-warping-away-from-netflix-july-1st/
Well, it doesn't have anything to do with the 50th or Axanar or anything.  Movies and TV shows are only under contract to be on Netflix (or Hulu, or Amazon Prime, or Crackle, or anything else) for so long.  Some things leave those services every month, and new stuff shows up every month.

I wasn't suggesting those things were related in any way, just pointing out a lot of Star Trek suckage coinciding for the 50th. :P

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2886 on: June 24, 2016, 07:28:00 AM »
It's a culmination of all recent ST history.  :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2887 on: June 24, 2016, 11:46:58 AM »

Greetings...
Nef

I didn't get any indication that ST6 era was off the table, but one can hope. The best thing they could do is go post VOY/NEM.

Yep. Then all the TNG cast can cameo. Set it 15 years after Nemesis and they're all the right age.

Why would they not do this ?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2888 on: June 24, 2016, 12:09:37 PM »
He said 762 total episodes of Star Trek. Innocent mistake.

In case people haven't seen yet, CBS/Paramount just released an official list of fan film guidelines that is sending everyone nuts. Rule 1 is perhaps the worst of them for most fan films.
https://www.startrek.com/fan-films

Thanks Axanar for fucking everyone. Bunch of assholes.
Seems like rule 5 is the troubling one. Everybody has to work for free and former ST actors can't appear in them. That's the fatal blow.

And I honestly don't get your hate for Axanar. They really weren't doing anything different that I can see, except turning out a significantly better product. Were they doing anything other than trying to obtain their production costs? Is that any different than, say, Tuvok producing Of Gods and Men? He might have made enough money to be able to do that for free, but he couldn't now thanks to rule 5. I agree that Paramount has ended fan made films, and that they did it because of Axanar, but I don't think it's fair to blame Axanar just for doing it on a bigger and better scale.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2889 on: June 24, 2016, 04:10:58 PM »
Axanar raised $1.5m for themselves off the back of Paramount & CBS property I think and now they're not doing refunds for backers despite promising them when they set up the Kickstarter. . .

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2890 on: June 24, 2016, 04:39:16 PM »
Axanar raised $1.5m for themselves off the back of Paramount & CBS property I think and now they're not doing refunds for backers despite promising them when they set up the Kickstarter. . .
Where? The kickstarter is currently at $638,471. Their preliminary budget is $650-750, and is expected to climb. I really haven't put much effort into learning about all the goings on, so they might be crooks for all I know. I just haven't seen anything that really bugs me much, and it seems that Paramount is acting like the kid who takes his monopoly board home because he doesn't get to be the car.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2891 on: June 24, 2016, 04:46:46 PM »
Just ask Blob ffs

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2892 on: June 25, 2016, 12:09:14 AM »
Where? The kickstarter is currently at $638,471. Their preliminary budget is $650-750, and is expected to climb. I really haven't put much effort into learning about all the goings on, so they might be crooks for all I know. I just haven't seen anything that really bugs me much, and it seems that Paramount is acting like the kid who takes his monopoly board home because he doesn't get to be the car.

They crowdfunded on multiple platforms, not just the one Kickstarter. It totalled about $1.2m IIRC.
And they have done significantly different to other fan films. As I said, they are paying cast and crew and salaries to themselves, exploiting that money to set up their own new ventures including buying their own studio, and have talked constant shit on social media towards CBS/Paramount. And the main man in charge has a long history of other shady dealings.
Axanar is 100% in the wrong here. They have continued to bite the hand that feeds them, with zero respect for the IP they're profiting from, and have ruined the good will of CBS/Paramount for everyone else. CBS don't have to allow you to do shit, but they've kindly turned a blind eye to fan films for 20 years, even allowing crowd funding productions within reason. Axanar blatantly crossed that line and abused that good will, and continue to play the victim card.
It's like squatting in someone's house, then deciding it's now your house because you think you could decorate it better, then blaming the house owners for calling the cops on you.

Compare that to Star Trek Continues, by far the best fan series. They're a registered non profit organization who do the work for free, and even funded the first episode entirely out of pocket, and have been nothing but diplomatic on social media even now with these new rules. Class act all the way.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2893 on: June 25, 2016, 01:03:23 AM »
Paying salaries to the cast and the production folk doesn't bother me. Non-profits get to support the employees if it's done with reason. Father O'Malley doesn't get to pay himself 2.3 million a year, but he gets to put food on the table. Setting up their own studio is questionable. I think they have a right to build facilities for them to do the work, but that's probably a matter for the lawyers to hash out. It all comes down to the legal definitions about what constitutes non-profit.

As for badmouthing Paramount I really don't care. You very likely agree with their criticisms. I certainly do.

What it comes down to is that Paramount has every right to enforce their IP rights. I won't begrudge them that, even if I think it's childish. They've been perfectly reasonable up until now. The difference is that the exact same thing that they've always allowed is happening just on a larger scale. I'm not going to dump on Anaxnar just for wanting to do better than the others. I'm watching a ST Continues episode right now, and while it's not awful, it's light years behind what Axanar has done.

I honestly don't see how what they've done is really all that different from what others have been allowed to do, other than scale (though I'm perfectly open to the idea that something they're doing is wrong and I just don't know about it). It's fine for Paramount to object, but I think they're doing it for the reasons that Axanar dickhead has suggested. They're producing a comparable product at a fraction of the cost.

On a personal note, I'm sure you've seen PtA. Based on their proof of concept, which do you think would be more to you're liking, the full version of Axanar or STB?

Relevant tangent. I'm up late tonight because I went to see my step-brother's Pink Floyd tribute band. This is quite similar to the Axanar thing. No Floyd cover band is going to reach the scale of the real thing, even your very well respected mates from down under. It's easy to ignore them. As it stands now they're making a nice living exploiting the IP of others. If those lads reached a point where they were packing in stadiums and becoming millionaires, then Waters or Gilmore might well object (or they might be thrilled for them). Would the APF be assholes for reaching that point? If anything, what the Aussies are doing is probably more questionable since they're charging people to see their work instead of asking for donations to make it.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2894 on: June 25, 2016, 01:58:25 AM »
Axanar wasn't even good. It's run of the mill fan film with pretty CGI and nostalgia actors. Star Trek Continues is so true to what Star Trek is about, and perfectly captures the feel of TOS, without the '60s sillyness.

Which I find "better" is 100% irrelevant to the whole thing though. It's the red herring Axanar is using to rally up their fanboys to divert from the real issue here for the people who had no interest in getting the whole picture, including JJ. They have zero right to make a fan film. People are getting angry at CBS/Paramount for putting limits on fan films and stopping Axanar, instead of realizing how incredibly generous they've been until now to let people make fan series for 20 years. The difference with Axanar has literally zero to do with it being good (there have been many far better ones that had no incident, so that's total BS), it's to do with the recent opening of Pandora's box of crowdfunding. CBS has been forward thinking on the matter and lenient as long as the money was all towards production costs, and not profiteering, and Axanar went and spoiled it for everyone else by being greedy assholes. They're not for the fans, they're only out for themselves and their wallets. Not very Star Trek of them. :biggrin:

The fans have no entitlement to the IP. I don't agree with their criticisms of CBS/Paramount, because they have no legitimate or relevant arguments. Anyone who backs Axanar on this is wrong.

I don't agree with the fan film rules, and I think Beyond will be shit, but none of this makes Axanar right.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 02:23:37 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2895 on: June 25, 2016, 02:28:43 AM »
They didn't just bite the hand.

They bit it clean off, chewed it and vomited it back all over Paramount's bloody stump and demanded they clean it up.

And I think Beyond will be great.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2896 on: June 25, 2016, 08:59:33 AM »
Axanar wasn't even good. It's run of the mill fan film with pretty CGI and nostalgia actors. Star Trek Continues is so true to what Star Trek is about, and perfectly captures the feel of TOS, without the '60s sillyness.

Which I find "better" is 100% irrelevant to the whole thing though. It's the red herring Axanar is using to rally up their fanboys to divert from the real issue here for the people who had no interest in getting the whole picture, including JJ. They have zero right to make a fan film. People are getting angry at CBS/Paramount for putting limits on fan films and stopping Axanar, instead of realizing how incredibly generous they've been until now to let people make fan series for 20 years. The difference with Axanar has literally zero to do with it being good (there have been many far better ones that had no incident, so that's total BS), it's to do with the recent opening of Pandora's box of crowdfunding. CBS has been forward thinking on the matter and lenient as long as the money was all towards production costs, and not profiteering, and Axanar went and spoiled it for everyone else by being greedy assholes. They're not for the fans, they're only out for themselves and their wallets. Not very Star Trek of them. :biggrin:

The fans have no entitlement to the IP. I don't agree with their criticisms of CBS/Paramount, because they have no legitimate or relevant arguments. Anyone who backs Axanar on this is wrong.

I don't agree with the fan film rules, and I think Beyond will be shit, but none of this makes Axanar right.

Pretty good post, and aside from Axanar being shit I agree with it. Whether or not Axanar is good or better is irrelevant to propriety. That's why I phrased it as a personal thing. You hadn't chimed in on it that I recall. And note that I never said that the difference between this and the other fan-flicks was quality, but rather scale. The others still made money for the people to get by. Like you said, we've just reached a point where crowdfunding makes it easier to take in money to increase production budgets and Axanar has taken advantage of that. I simply see it as the logical continuation of the process. Lastly, as I said, Paramount has been generous letting people do this, though I have my own problems with IP (not just that I want everything for free, BTW). I just think they're now acting like buttheads. Instead of crafting rules to prevent profiteering they've pretty much nuked the entire thing, and while Axanar was the impetus for this, I don't blame Axanar for simply finding a better way to do what others have been doing.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2897 on: June 25, 2016, 09:51:44 AM »
The difference is not about just scale.
While the rules were formerly unwritten, they were still well known to those in the fan film circles from direct communication with CBS, and it really came down to transparency to ensure that the money was only for equipment/materials such as building materials etc, and not for paying salaries and directly profiting off of it. When there were Kickstarters, this information had to be clearly written to satisfy CBS on the matter. Star Trek Continues raised well over half a million between their 3 crowdfunding campaigns, and had been in constant direct contact with people from CBS to ensure there were no issues. Despite running for years under the careful watchful eye of CBS, they've had no major problems because they've had nothing but respect for CBS and whatever requests have been made. They've even had several former Trek cast members involved.
Renegades also crowdfunded a lot of money over multiple platforms (at least 700k). I'm not sure of their money breakdown, but they also ran without incident despite the relatively high profile for a fan film due to the involvement of many former cast actors. Again though, they've been diplomatic in their dealings with CBS, and respectful of the franchise.

Axanar put themselves on regular salaries, and paid professionals to make a Star Trek film, even started selling all kinds of merch based on the film, and then had the gall to give CBS the middle finger as if they were entitled to do what they pleased, and then when slapped with the lawsuit, brashly proclaimed they would win and defeat the evil CBS. In the process they've killed off fan films, and I do directly blame them for that. Axanar didn't do anything "better", they exploited the generosity of CBS allowing fan films and even crowdfunding them, and then spat in their face when called out on their shady business practices and profiteering.

With the ever growing quality and technology available for fan films, it was becoming a slippery slope, and a finer line between fan film, and flat out unlicensed movie. Axanar didn't even care to try to respect that line.

All of that said, I agree with the stupidity of CBS/Paramount's guidelines overall (strange given they're still being moderately lenient with crowdfunding), and think it hurts them more than it helps them. Best case, I'm hoping they're not hard and fast rules of "if you don't follow this, we'll sue you", but more of a guideline of "stick to this, and we guarantee we won't come after you" and if you exceed their limits, it will be case by case of whether they'll nuke you. They might have felt they had to cover their asses better for any future lawsuits, with the guidelines now written plain and simple for all to see. Some of the rules I totally understand, while others are excessive to the point of quashing fan films altogether.
The backlash on social media over this from fans has been huge, regardless of which side people fall on with Axanar's part in this, so I don't know what will happen once the dust settles.

Let's just agree that Trek is in a bad place right now. There's plenty of blame to go around. :lol
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 09:58:13 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2898 on: June 25, 2016, 10:38:43 AM »

Let's just agree that Trek is in a bad place right now. There's plenty of blame to go around. :lol
Yeah, no disagreement there. I'm just looking at it from the standpoint that there hasn't been good trek in ages, and suddenly these Axanar people seem to be doing something that really piques my interest. Most of the fan stuff looks like high school level productions with some nice CGI to spruce it up. The feature Axanar film looks good enough to interest me far more than the Transformers in space stuff that we've been getting lately, so I'd like to see it happen.

Add to that, I think these people really know hat they're doing.  Making the proof of concept in the documentary style that they chose was a fantastic idea, and they added some nice touches that suggest they're actually fans and not just con artists. John Gill being the narrator was a pretty clever reference. They've chosen a time period that hasn't been done, but we're all somewhat familiar with. Pike era uniforms. Soval still the Vulcan ambassador. D6 and D7 Klingon ships and the beginning of the Constitution class. Garth of Izar who's an interesting character out of the gate. I just like where they're heading with it, and if they'd done it in the mother's basement it really wouldn't interest me in the least.

And I find it unlikely that the folks doing STB are doing this on weekends while working in cubicles during the week. They're paying themselves living wages for their efforts. What constitutes a living wage vs. profit is a nebulous distinction.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2899 on: June 25, 2016, 10:48:48 AM »
And I find it unlikely that the folks doing STB are doing this on weekends while working in cubicles during the week. They're paying themselves living wages for their efforts. What constitutes a living wage vs. profit is a nebulous distinction.

What does that have to do with anything? The people making STB are working on an official movie. We're talking about fan films.

My opinion of Axanar's film aside, it's not about what they're making. It's about how they've gone about it, and how they've exploited the Trek IP. Had they handled themselves with the same class and respect for the IP holder as Star Trek Continues, I'd be supportive of them despite not enjoying it. But we don't get to decide which copyright infringement is ok based on what we like. People can't entitle themselves to an IP because they believe they can do better. The other fan films respected that they were playing in someone else's yard entirely on the goodwill of CBS, and recognized that it was a huge privilege being granted, not a right.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2900 on: June 25, 2016, 12:02:03 PM »

What does that have to do with anything? The people making STB are working on an official movie. We're talking about fan films.
Interesting distinction, albeit one that I don't share. They're not shooting for a theatrical release (unless they are, which would certainly change things). Finances aside, the only difference between what they're doing and what Cawley et al are doing is the length and the production quality. Not sure why one's official and one's a fan film.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #2901 on: June 25, 2016, 12:04:32 PM »

Interesting distinction, albeit one that I don't share. They're not shooting for a theatrical release (unless they are, which would certainly change things). Finances aside, the only difference between what they're doing and what Cawley et al are doing is the length and the production quality. Not sure why one's official and one's a fan film.

Because one's made by the people who own the property and one isn't.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2902 on: June 25, 2016, 12:07:34 PM »

Quite.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2903 on: June 25, 2016, 12:07:42 PM »

Exactly. Huge and obvious difference. :facepalm:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 12:27:26 PM by BlobVanDam »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2904 on: June 25, 2016, 01:09:00 PM »
Of course. I mistyped and confused the issue for everybody. Sorry. I meant STC rather than STB. Fucking acronyms. How do they work. My point was that the folks behind ST Continues are still very likely supporting themselves by doing what they are. As I've said, they're just doing so on a much smaller scale and with far more courtesy.

Just watched one of their episodes. Certainly not highschool level production, like many of the others. Community theater is probably more applicable. Wasn't terrible at all. Don't care for the actors, aside from Doohan, and you eventually get used to the fake Kirk after a while. The writing was actually pretty good up until the final 5 minutes. I'll check out another episode or two. But at the end of the day it definitely looks like something that was made with a fraction of the money that Axanar is putting into it.

And there's something else that seems like a huge distinction to me, which I am not throwing out to continue the is Axanar evil debate. All of the earlier fan-flick stuff I've seen seems like total rehashing of earlier work and a lot of what we call fan wank. Cawley's stuff was pretty bad about that (planet killer, Matt Decker, gateway to eternity) and bringing back former characters because the actors are interested (one of them had now Admiral Kyle, FFS). An aged Chekhov was in another. The STC I just watched was Apollo coming back from wherever. One of the things that interests me about Axanar is that it's largely original. The only returning character is Soval, which is pretty reasonable given the time period they're playing in. I appreciate that they don't seem intersted in shoehorning Archer, or an aged Shatner mcguffin in there.
E.F. Benson