Poll

How will it Sound?

It will sound great, making you forget that it's not the DT squad playing it.
27 (20.1%)
It'll sound alright, but there will be 'something' off a tad
91 (67.9%)
It's gonna be a trainwreck
16 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour  (Read 213971 times)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Re: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour
« Reply #2100 on: September 25, 2017, 02:51:05 PM »
Last night was the best concert I've ever been to, and that's saying a lot considering how many bands I have seen. It truly felt like an experience, and you can tell how much love went into this from all members. Eric Gillette is a monster, Ross Jennings was the perfect choice to sing Labrie's parts, and the rest of the Haken guys killed it to the point that I consider the next local Haken show a must see. And of course, Mike was a beast as usual. He is just so much fun to watch play. If this is how Dream Theater shows were with MP in the band, then I'm truly sorry that I never got to see them before he left. I can't stress enough how great this was.

Also, Next to None were great.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2101 on: September 25, 2017, 04:40:09 PM »
Really awesome concert last night.  The vibe in the building was great.  Sold out and packed to the top.  Loud energetic crowd.  The sound was pretty good where I was.  I had a VIP ticket so I got to watch from the balcony, which was packed, but after moving around, I finally found a spot with a decent view.  Caught the last, and long, song from Next To None.  They were better than I expected.  It was pretty clear a lot of the Portnoy extended family was there to support as well, which was cool.  No matter the twitter shit or whatever MP gets (and sometimes deserves) he really put together something special last night.  It didn't feel like most concerts.  I can't remember the last time a Dream Theater show was that energetic.  Crowd chanting and singing along.  As for the performance, it was much better than I expected.  I love Haken and knew the guys had the chops, but it actually sounded like it could have been DT.  There were a few parts that weren't pulled off as well as DT would have, but it felt fine to me.  It felt live and raw, something DT hasn't felt in concert for awhile for me.  Eric's guitar playing was superb.  Ross's vocals were on spot, and dare I say, actually better than Labrie at this point.  Not meant to knock on Labrie (I love him) but Ross really impressed me a few weeks ago with Haken and seeing him pull off DT and I am just floored with how good of a performer he really is.  I guess I wasn't crazy about Eric's vocals, needed a bit more power behind his voice and when MP sang, I wasn't totally digging it, even if it made sense within the song (Repentance).   It definitely seemed the SFAM songs were the big hits of the night.  Really happy I came out for this concert.  Huge DT fan and it felt like this concert hit on so many things missing in DT's live show. 

Mike Portnoy's Shattered Fortress Live New York City (got MP's entire speech in there)

One of my favorite moments, the guitar outro to This Dying Soul https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/912387981952024578

and some pics...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2102 on: September 25, 2017, 06:14:56 PM »
That's cool, Cram!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2103 on: September 25, 2017, 06:16:59 PM »
Now we know the Perruccis were there.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 07:09:56 PM by MinistroRaven »

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2104 on: September 25, 2017, 06:23:37 PM »
Would not shock me in the slightest if JP is there too. The guys were friends since they were what, 18?

The issue now in DT is -- they have a drummer they want to do right by, and JLB is more comfortable without MP. If one day MM leaves of his own accord, and MP and JLB can iron out their issues, MP will be back in DT. I wouldn't hold my breath, but stranger things have happened.

Glad that the Petrucci fam and the Portnoy fam are still friends.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2105 on: September 25, 2017, 06:26:06 PM »
Would not shock me in the slightest if JP is there too. 

I think JP is on tour with DT now, no? They were in Australia I thought.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2106 on: September 25, 2017, 06:36:32 PM »
Would not shock me in the slightest if JP is there too. The guys were friends since they were what, 18?

The issue now in DT is -- they have a drummer they want to do right by, and JLB is more comfortable without MP. If one day MM leaves of his own accord, and MP and JLB can iron out their issues, MP will be back in DT. I wouldn't hold my breath, but stranger things have happened.

If DT were to one day reunite with MP, and JLB stuck around, that'd be great. What concerns me with that scenario is that MP would try to pick up where he left off with BCSL, and I don't want that. No more "tough guy vocals". Also, he'd probably pull a Hagar/Roth and refuse to play the "other drummer's" songs.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2107 on: September 25, 2017, 06:40:19 PM »
Now we know the Petruccis were there:

something something marriage analogy something
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2108 on: September 25, 2017, 06:43:33 PM »
Now we know the Petruccis were there:

something something marriage analogy something

Portnoy... Mormon?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2109 on: September 25, 2017, 06:53:30 PM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2110 on: September 25, 2017, 07:10:31 PM »

MP to JP:

“Hey John now that you’re away, look who came to visit us”

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2111 on: September 25, 2017, 07:12:11 PM »
Okay... I should know this, but who is who?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2112 on: September 25, 2017, 07:21:01 PM »

I believe from left to right: JP's daughter, JP's wife, MP's wife, MP's daughter.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2113 on: September 25, 2017, 07:21:22 PM »

The guy in the front is MP.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2114 on: September 25, 2017, 07:26:34 PM »

THAT's what he looks like?

I always pictured a camel...

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2115 on: September 25, 2017, 09:05:45 PM »

THAT's what he looks like?

I always pictured a camel...

:rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2116 on: September 25, 2017, 09:16:38 PM »

If DT were to one day reunite with MP, and JLB stuck around, that'd be great. What concerns me with that scenario is that MP would try to pick up where he left off with BCSL, and I don't want that. No more "tough guy vocals". Also, he'd probably pull a Hagar/Roth and refuse to play the "other drummer's" songs.

I don't think it's just JLB and that the band wants to stand by MM.  I think Jordan is also a lot happier with MM - not because he doesn't like Mike as a person, but I think he feels more comfortable with his role and not feeling pushed into directions that perhaps he doesn't care for.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2117 on: September 26, 2017, 03:40:52 AM »

Honestly, with all due respect to MP (who is my all time favorite drummer), there are quite a few MM parts that I don't think he could physically play even if he wanted to. Their drumming styles are completely different (hell, despite his immense ability, there are some points with MM when DT plays older songs that I catch myself saying "that doesn't sound right") so I can't even imagine how MM's parts would sound with MP playing them.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2118 on: September 26, 2017, 05:28:22 AM »

Honestly, with all due respect to MP (who is my all time favorite drummer), there are quite a few MM parts that I don't think he could physically play even if he wanted to. Their drumming styles are completely different (hell, despite his immense ability, there are some points with MM when DT plays older songs that I catch myself saying "that doesn't sound right") so I can't even imagine how MM's parts would sound with MP playing them.

I think he could still play the MM era songs, but he´d play them his own way. He did play Apocalypse 1470 B.C. with PSMS, a Derek Sherinian song that´s rather complex, and simplified it a lot.

An hey, wasn´t there a guy who posted on YouTube some videos of the drum parts of ADTOE "as if they were played by MP"? I saw this years ago and can´t find it anymore, but the result was amazing. The dude had all MP´s mannerisms and fills down to a T!!!

But even if MP returns to DT, I don´t think he´d want to play MM´s songs. I guess we´ll have to wait and see.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2119 on: September 26, 2017, 12:59:09 PM »
In case anyone missed it in the picture thread, here is our group shot from NYC:

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2120 on: September 26, 2017, 02:06:05 PM »
Nice hat, Mill!
Cram looks possessed.
Stadler...Oxford shirt??
..and I can't believe the smartest guy on DTF is a Caveman! (apparently the only one who knows how to actually flick a bird)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2121 on: September 26, 2017, 02:16:40 PM »
Nice hat, Mill!
Cram looks possessed.
Stadler...Oxford shirt??
..and I can't believe the smartest guy on DTF is a Caveman! (apparently the only one who knows how to actually flick a bird)

Dude, that's my concert shirt.   I wear it to just about every show (and I'll wear a band shirt or something underneath).  Was wearing it when I met my favorite musician of all time ever - Ritchie Blackmore - and it goes with me to shows ever since.  Since that time I've hopped the gate and got to within five rows of Chris Cornell for Temple of the Dog (and a picture in the NY Daily News), got front row for Neal Morse (and met them, though that wasn't really "luck"), went on-stage and sang "I Love It Loud" with Gene Simmons (along with about 10 other old, fat guys), shook Keith Urban's hand (and got an autograph for my wife and daughter), and got to hang with Cram for two shows in New York City.   It makes the experience better.  If you saw it up close, it's a fucking mess; holes in the collar, strings from the sleeves and buttons... but it gets me where I need to go.  I'll be wearing it next month when I see Yngwie... maybe he'll unleash the fury! 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2122 on: September 26, 2017, 02:22:07 PM »
Alright alright..  :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2123 on: September 26, 2017, 05:45:08 PM »
Nice hat, Mill!
Cram looks possessed.
Stadler...Oxford shirt??

Looks like the only one doing it wrong to me.

There's really no wrong way to flip a bird, but I can't even get my hand like that.

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #2124 on: September 26, 2017, 06:49:52 PM »
I don't know who Beardy is, but that's how you're supposed to.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2125 on: September 26, 2017, 06:59:14 PM »

That's El Beardo

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2126 on: September 26, 2017, 08:04:21 PM »

Says who?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2127 on: September 27, 2017, 04:06:44 AM »
Nice to see some DTF members having a group photo at a show. Care to let us know who's who, please?  :smiley:

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #2128 on: September 27, 2017, 05:58:32 AM »
Nice to see some DTF members having a group photo at a show. Care to let us know who's who, please?  :smiley:

Left-to-right:

me, El Barto, Stadler, cramx3, Nick, Axeman
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2129 on: September 27, 2017, 06:40:14 AM »
Kudos for El Barto having one hell of a beard. Also, I like how the forum moderator is the only one wearing full pants.  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2130 on: September 27, 2017, 07:28:22 AM »
I didn't know there was a right or wrong way to give the finger, but I think I should get some credit for a double bird.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2131 on: September 27, 2017, 08:46:43 AM »
I love how, if you didn't know better, Barto looks like a crazed photobomber that nobody knew was there, but who, minutes after the pic was taken, lured the other 5 back to his lair and consumed them all in a cannibalistic orgy.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2132 on: September 27, 2017, 08:48:34 AM »
I love how, if you didn't know better, Barto looks like a crazed photobomber that nobody knew was there, but who, minutes after the pic was taken, lured the other 5 back to his lair and consumed them all in a cannibalistic orgy.

:lol
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2133 on: September 27, 2017, 11:08:11 AM »
In case anyone missed it in the picture thread, here is our group shot from NYC:

You guys should have stood together at the show with a big sign saying "Yes. we at DTF are still a "thing"!!"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2134 on: September 27, 2017, 11:10:37 AM »
 :lol

Totally!