Author Topic: LithoJazzoSphere Roulette V1: Variety & Reciprocity (Post-Roulette Playlist)  (Read 116108 times)

Offline Nachtmerrie

8?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Litho, were you..um..electrocuted??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Not quite.  I'm actually going out of town for a number of days soon, and I've had a mountain of other stuff to take care of.  I thought I'd be able to squeeze more time in, but it's been eluding me.  I should have some time here and there to continue to work on the writeups while I'm away as well, but it'll definitely still be a bit before results.  I might throw in some comparisons and possibly something else in the next few days as well though. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Round 8 Early Impressions:

1:  SoundscapeMN - Eldren - They're not kidding about the title, are they?  I was not anticipating that ending. 

2:  There some interesting textural parts here, but I'm not sure there's enough memorable melodic content for me. 

3:  I'm impressed at this artist's stylistic range, but years later, the vocals still aren't doing much for me. 

4:  I dig the vibe, but I wonder if it's a bit too sparse and simple. 

5:  Buddyhunter1 - IAMTHEKIDYOUKNOWWHATIMEAN - Yep, I see what you mean about the similarity.  It actually does a few things better than my song, though a few others not as well. 

6:  Crow - GUNSHIP - Wow, the layers, the dynamics, the [redacted], easily your best entry yet.  I don't know why I hadn't already listened to this dozens of times before. 

7:  I'm not sure the last minute or two are enough payoff.  It's on the subtle side for me, and it seemed to drag before the drums entered. 

8:  Nachtmerrie - Kosheen - This is pretty straightforward, but really hits some nostalgic vibes for me, even though I don't think I've heard it before. 

9:  It seems like you probably read my writeup from last round and tried to fix what didn't work from the last song, but I'm not sure the different balance of elements worked on this one either.  It probably feels like trying to play Wac-A-Mole. 

10:  I love when opposite styles meet together, such as this being almost industrial pop, and what a fantastic arrangement of percussive elements. 

11:  TAC - Innellea - You used the Spotify similar artist radio station trick you threatened to do in an earlier round, didn't you?  :-) 

12:  This might be too happy for me, and I'm not sure I'm sold on the melody, but the last minute unexpectedly picks up steam, and the last half-minute definitely helps. 

13:  Tomislav95 - Archive - It became surprisingly more energetic in the last couple minutes, but the vocals there might be a bit repetitive, and despite the theme of this round, live drums might have suited it better. 

14:  Puppies_On_Acid - Slushii - I'm not sure whether this is a chopped up vocal sample or a synth patch, but it's a pretty intriguing sound. 

15:  That's some seriously cool-sounding bass thump.  I think this is the best thing you've sent yet. 

16:  This feels like an extended intro to another song, and though [redacted] certainly helps out, this might be too minimalistic for me. 

17:  ariich - Feed Me - I've always been surprised how rare true synth solos are in electronic music, so I'm glad to find one here. 

18:  soupytwist - Bring Me The Horizon - I wasn't sure what to expect based on this artist's early work, so I was pleasantly surprised that something useful came out of the acquisition last week. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 12:23:09 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online HOF

Ah, must be 7.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
#4 or #7?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 08:31:22 AM by Vmadera00 »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
None of those. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

1?

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Yep.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
15?

Online HOF

Let's try 10, and if not then 4.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
None of those. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
3...?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
We still guessing guys??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online HOF

Yeah, I have no idea! 2 or 12?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I thought I guessed 4 before, apparently not, so 4?

But honestly I'm ready for results.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Round 8 Early Impressions:

1:  SoundscapeMN - Eldren - They're not kidding about the title, are they?  I was not anticipating that ending. 

2:  There some interesting textural parts here, but I'm not sure there's enough memorable melodic content for me. 

3:  I'm impressed at this artist's stylistic range, but years later, the vocals still aren't doing much for me. 

4:  Evermind - Peter Heppner - I dig the vibe, but I wonder if it's a bit too sparse and simple. 

5:  Buddyhunter1 - IAMTHEKIDYOUKNOWWHATIMEAN - Yep, I see what you mean about the similarity.  It actually does a few things better than my song, though a few others not as well. 

6:  Crow - GUNSHIP - Wow, the layers, the dynamics, the [redacted], easily your best entry yet.  I don't know why I hadn't already listened to this dozens of times before. 

7:  I'm not sure the last minute or two are enough payoff.  It's on the subtle side for me, and it seemed to drag before the drums entered. 

8:  Nachtmerrie - Kosheen - This is pretty straightforward, but really hits some nostalgic vibes for me, even though I don't think I've heard it before. 

9:  It seems like you probably read my writeup from last round and tried to fix what didn't work from the last song, but I'm not sure the different balance of elements worked on this one either.  It probably feels like trying to play Wac-A-Mole. 

10:  I love when opposite styles meet together, such as this being almost industrial pop, and what a fantastic arrangement of percussive elements. 

11:  TAC - Innellea - You used the Spotify similar artist radio station trick you threatened to do in an earlier round, didn't you?  :-) 

12:  HOF - Anthonie Tonnon - This might be too happy for me, and I'm not sure I'm sold on the melody, but the last minute unexpectedly picks up steam, and the last half-minute definitely helps. 

13:  Tomislav95 - Archive - It became surprisingly more energetic in the last couple minutes, but the vocals there might be a bit repetitive, and despite the theme of this round, live drums might have suited it better. 

14:  Puppies_On_Acid - Slushii - I'm not sure whether this is a chopped up vocal sample or a synth patch, but it's a pretty intriguing sound. 

15:  That's some seriously cool-sounding bass thump.  I think this is the best thing you've sent yet. 

16:  This feels like an extended intro to another song, and though [redacted] certainly helps out, this might be too minimalistic for me. 

17:  ariich - Feed Me - I've always been surprised how rare true synth solos are in electronic music, so I'm glad to find one here. 

18:  soupytwist - Bring Me The Horizon - I wasn't sure what to expect based on this artist's early work, so I was pleasantly surprised that something useful came out of the acquisition last week. 

But honestly I'm ready for results.

Yeah, been way too swamped the last few days making preparations for a trip to make much progress on them, so they're still a ways out.  I've listened to everything a fair amount, have a pretty decent idea of the scores and orders now, but I need time to get to the writeups.  I always have the last resort option if at some point things are taking way too long to just drop scores and a couple sentence writeups, but I don't want to have to go to that just yet. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
I'm gonna try and get comparisons up tonight for something else to chew on, and I'm chipping away at the writeups, but I don't think I'll have enough time to finish them until after I get back in town in a few days. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Meant to post these last night and got distracted by Crow's results.   :facepalm:

These are less ambiguous than last round.  Even almost all of the "?" entries I have an idea of which way I'm leaning, but I'm just denoting that it's close. 

Round 8 - Comparisons to Previous Round:

ariich:  Feed Me < Dissona

Buddyhunter1:  IAMTHEKIDYOUKNOWWHATIMEAN > Thy Catafalque

Crow:  GUNSHIP > Midnight Odyssey

Elite:  Boards of Canada < Foscor

Evermind:  Peter Heppner ? Skein

HOF:  Anthonie Tonnon < Sweet Billy Pilgrim

Lethean:  Riverside < Voyager

Nachtmerrie:  Kosheen > Clouds

Puppies_On_Acid:  Slushii > Chrome Waves

Sacul:  The Black Queen > Kayo Dot

senecadawg2:  Lunatic Soul < Khôrada

SoundscapeMN:  Eldren ? The Warning

soupytwist:  Bring Me the Horizon < Ancient Bards

Stadler:  Butthole Surfers ? Replicants

TAC:  Innellea < Dreamgrave

Tomislav95:  Archive < DVNE

twosuitluke:  Omar Rodriguez-López < Drewsif Stalin's Musical Endeavors

Vmadera00:  Bonobo > Forest of Shadows
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 03:09:40 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Obvious comparison.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I mean, I'll take that! Expected my entry to tank pretty hard (even though I really enjoy it).

Curious to see both Riverside and Lunatic Soul not doing so good.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
I mean, I'll take that! Expected my entry to tank pretty hard (even though I really enjoy it).

Songs sometimes grow on me, and since the initial impression I've figured out why his name and voice seemed oddly familiar. 

I don't know about Lunatic Soul, but that's definitely not a typical Riverside song from what I recall of their other work. 

Offline senecadawg2

That's interesting—Khorada was definitely the submission I felt more trepidation about.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm gonna bomb.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
just know that, for the record, i disagree  :corn

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
just know that, for the record, i disagree  :corn

Interesting, you didn't even have Midnight Odyssey in your Spotify list.  Maybe you already had something you consider even better there representing that type of sound, or they don't have any "short" songs that would fit with that playlist. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
yeah, i was trying to keep that list mostly to shorter tunes but i proooobably should've had midnight odyssey there anyways, i kinda threw it together really quick so i could have it up in time  :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Only at a place like DTF is 16/30 songs being 5:00+ "shorter tunes".   ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Waiting for the scores in the round is like knowing you're gonna get a whipping from your father when he gets home, except now he's working a double.

Online twosuitsluke

Waiting for the scores in the round is like knowing you're gonna get a whipping from your father when he gets home, except now he's working a double.

I'm getting déjà vu

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
More like working a triple this round.

Online twosuitsluke

What round are we even on?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Lethean

Songs sometimes grow on me, and since the initial impression I've figured out why his name and voice seemed oddly familiar. 

I don't know about Lunatic Soul, but that's definitely not a typical Riverside song from what I recall of their other work.

It's not, but I thought it fit the round.  Maybe I should have saved them for a free round and sent my favorite songs "regular" of theirs... But this track is my favorite of their bonus tracks.  Feels sad and hopeful at the same time, like so much of their stuff does.