Author Topic: Tom Waits  (Read 867 times)

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
Tom Waits
« on: February 20, 2011, 11:31:45 PM »
I cannot wait until I'm 21.  I will just get drunk every night listening to Tom Waits. 

The perfect classic depressed/drinking songs among other moods.  Also some great innovative and experimental tunes, particularly on Bone Machine.  Especially Dirt in the Ground, that is the greatest thing ever I think.  I think there are a few other fans out there.  APPRECIATE! 

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 07:20:27 PM by ClairvoyantCat »

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
Re: Tom Waits
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 02:26:19 AM »
As an 18 yo in the UK I can testify the experience is as awesome as you describe  :lol

In all seriousness, one of the greatest experimental artists of all time
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 12:03:44 AM »
Hey, now, this doesn't belong over here on page five...

Waits is one of the greats. I believe Bone Machine, Swordfishtrombones and Alice are my favorites. Rain Dogs and Heartattack and Vine aren't far behind, though...
"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." ~ Tyrion Lannister

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 09:32:42 PM »
For God's sake....  BUMP!

I have been absolutely addicted to this guy's albums lately. Just ordered Small Change because I can't stop listening to Waltzing Matilda....or staring at Cassandra Peterson.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 09:44:13 PM »
Holy crapsticks Tom Waits. Amazing, incredible musician.

Funny story, the first time I heard one of his songs was on the film Robots, the song Underground was on the soundtrack. I always enjoyed the strange, industrial sound with the odd, rumbling voice, but for a long time never bothered to find out who had done the song or anything else about it. Then, for some reason (boredom, most likely), I happened to look it up, and have since fallen in love with the man's music. The only album I actually own is Rain Dogs, but I've heard a fair bit of his work, and enjoy nearly all of it.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 12:00:33 PM »
Loooove Tom Waits. One of the few musicians I can't even come close to picking a favourite of. His discography is just packed full of gems.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 10:03:21 PM »
Just bought Small Change, and I'm currently spinning Blue Valentine...I think I'm love!

It's weird that I'm having a listening palate that is very different than my usual. I'm getting obsessed with early works of both Tom Waits and Frank Zappa. Is there a connection? (i've been listening to freak out, and just picked up absolutely free...so I'm on a frank kick as well)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude