Author Topic: Official top 50 Fates Warning countdown thread!! - #1 Song Revealed!  (Read 33805 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Official top 50 Fates Warning countdown thread!! - Into the top 15!
« Reply #560 on: October 28, 2022, 12:46:28 PM »
Most of APSOG was in my top 15 so I'm sad none of them made it a little higher in the rankings.

So...just looking at all the lists, rankers had the following # of APSOG songs on their countdowns:

A. 10/11
B. 4
C. 6
D. 11 (ranked in spots 1-11)
E. 4
F. 9
G. 6
H. 2
I. 8
J. 8
K. 4
L. 6
M. 2
N. 4
O. 7
P. 10
Q. 2
R. 8

By the way, regarding the two APSOG tracks that didn't make the countdown, "I" made it onto only two lists and finished tied for 87th place (with Scars and Begin again).  "II" came VERY close at #53 (only 5 points behind the three songs that tied for 49th).

I could only find a 20+ year old, anonymous message board post that made that connection.  While plausible, that's hardly definitive.  Does the book (which I bought but haven't read yet) corroborate this?

Yep, it does...

Grazie.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline nick_z

Re: Official top 50 Fates Warning countdown thread!! - Top 20 in progress!
« Reply #561 on: October 28, 2022, 02:10:53 PM »

I didn't comment on it - how cool is it that you got to witness this?

It was really special. That whole roadtrip tour with my buddy, and the access we had those two shows was awesome. On the 2019 tour, I saw them three more times. Twice opening for QR, and the best one was a one-off headline appearance. It was at a bar in Redding, Calif., called "The Dip." I showed up way early at like 4 p.m., had a couple of beers with friends (who drove from UTAH), stayed for soundcheck. They could only fit half of the drum kit on the "stage" in the corner of the bar. During soundcheck, my friend took a picture of me, standing in front of the band playing. It was like our own personal Fates show. I have that photo, and the cool venue poster the bar had up, framed to my right here at my office. Signed by the band. It was really, really cool.

Once the show itself started, the place filled up much more. I was right in front of Jim and Ray for that. Check out a couple vids I took. It was actually too close to film, so it's a little bouncy:

One - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omkBdAZJ790

Another Perfect Day - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hks2ogtcPVw

I just took two. The band doesn't mind people taking a couple, but they were...displeased to see some guy literally standing in the back filming the entire performance. So after those two songs, I put my phone away. But check out the vantage point of Jim's solo in Another Perfect Day. Literally right up against me. So killer.

Those five shows are some of my favorite memories of shows (2018 and 2019). Really hope I get to see Fates again some day.

Absolutely love this stuff. Oh, and your "background vocals" on One are pretty awesome  ;D

There were two Arch songs in the 51-60 group, and we had four lists that included no Arch songs, so I wondered what it would do to the overall countdown to eliminate those four lists.  Interestingly, while it bumped the two songs from the 51-60 group into the 41-50 group, it did not result in any other songs moving into the top 50.  It did bump Guardian into the top 10 and the Apparition into the top 20.  However, it did not impact the top 3 at all and (other than bumping Guardian), it did not otherwise significantly impact the top 10.

Cool info nuggets here...I was actually surprised I ended up having more Arch songs in my top 50 than the aggregate consensus. I've said it before, as I was revisiting the whole catalog before we started the countdown - the one Arch album that benefitted the most from re-listening was Awaken the Guardian, for sure. My favorite "version" of Fates Warning will always have Ray Alder fronting it, but I've upped my appreciation for AtG, and I'm thankful this countdown made me do it.

I could only find a 20+ year old, anonymous message board post that made that connection.  While plausible, that's hardly definitive.  Does the book (which I bought but haven't read yet) corroborate this?

Yep, it does...

Grazie.

:tup :tup

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #562 on: October 28, 2022, 02:17:23 PM »
I'll be honest, I have one of the lists with no Arch era songs.

While I am familiar with the Arch era, it's almost like a completely different band in comparison to the Alder era. In my view, they ARE two distinct bands. So I wasn't going to go through a three-record mini catalog that I don't enjoy as much to find a handful of tracks that may make the 40-50 range in my rankings. Seemed pointless. Even the best Arch era songs to me (Guardian, The Apparition), while cool...I'd rather listen to Ray. Any day. So it was just dumb for me to even try to make a case for an Arch song being in my top-50. They wouldn't be.

I thought about not submitting a list because of that, not wanting to skew results. But then giving it some further thought, I was being honest with how I felt, so I submitted it anyway. It's the truth, for my tastes, so it's accurate.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #563 on: October 28, 2022, 02:18:55 PM »
I had neither of these ranked too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #564 on: October 28, 2022, 02:54:49 PM »
APSOG Part VI - My rank: #29

Agree with pg that this is a great mid-album piece. It takes its time to build up, but when Vera's bass comes in, and is joined by that clean guitar fade-in...that's beautiful stuff right there. Even more so when it's reprised with Kevin Moore's haunting keyboards in the background, after the verse and before the first chorus. That chorus, by the way...just a great payoff - simple and melodic, but very powerful. Short and emotional solo by Matheos too.

Guardian - My rank: #35

My highest-ranked song of the Arch-era. It has all of that early FW "magic" in a package that is epic and accessible at the same time. Part of this is Arch's vocal melodies are easier to wrap your head around than his usual standards  :) The chorus really is a thing of beauty.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #565 on: October 28, 2022, 02:57:55 PM »
14T A Pleasant Shade of Gray VI (Turn Back All the Years) (APSOG – 9)

Appeared on 13 of 19 entries
Top 10 finishes: 4
Highest Ranking: 1 (SoundscapeMN)

14T Guardian (Awaken the Guardian – 2)

Appeared on 14 of 19 entries
Top 10 finishes: 5
Highest Ranking: 2 (Mister Gold, Puppies_on_Acid)

I had APSOG VI (Turn Back All The Years) at #11. This is a great tune full of emotion. Has a great solo too.

I had Guardian at #9. Seems to be the signature song of the Arch Era.

So…now that we’ve seen the last of the Arch era songs, I’m going to interrupt the main countdown briefly.  Over the weekend, instead of continuing with the main countdown, I’m going to give you the rest of the top 15 Arch era songs (we know that the top 3 are Guardian (14T), The Apparition (32) and Exodus (49T)).

Oh, OK. I'll add them to my list as you do it then. I had a total of 16 Arch Era songs on my list.

50                                                                              NR
49                                                                              Handful Of Doubt
48  APSOG IX (Stayed Up Late One Night)                     Chasing Time
47                                                                              APSOG III
46  APSOG VIII (Instrumental)                                     White Flag
45                                                                              APSOG IV
44                                                                              Firefly
43                                                                              The Destination Onward
42   Pale Fire                                                               Left Here
41                                                                              The Road Goes On Forever
40  Outside Looking In                                                 Island In The Stream
39  The Longest Shadow Of The Day                             APSOG V (Murder In Munich)
38  Face The Fear                                                        Part Of The Machine
37                                                                              Wish
36  Another Perfect Day                                               APSOG VII
35  The Apparition                                                       Seven Stars
34                                                                              Eye To Eye
33                                                                              At Fates Hands
32  Silent Cries                                                            APSOG XII
31  Don't Follow Me
24  And Yet It Moves
22  APSOG XI (Do You Think That I)
17  Exodus
13  The Strand
11 APSOG VI (Turn Back All The Years)
10  Shelter Me
9  Guardian
6  Down To The Wire
4  Something For Nothing
3  We Only Say Goodbye

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #566 on: October 28, 2022, 03:05:02 PM »

There were two Arch songs in the 51-60 group, and we had four lists that included no Arch songs, so I wondered what it would do to the overall countdown to eliminate those four lists.  Interestingly, while it bumped the two songs from the 51-60 group into the 41-50 group, it did not result in any other songs moving into the top 50.  It did bump Guardian into the top 10 and the Apparition into the top 20.  However, it did not impact the top 3 at all and (other than bumping Guardian), it did not otherwise significantly impact the top 10.

Cool info nuggets here...I was actually surprised I ended up having more Arch songs in my top 50 than the aggregate consensus. I've said it before, as I was revisiting the whole catalog before we started the countdown - the one Arch album that benefitted the most from re-listening was Awaken the Guardian, for sure. My favorite "version" of Fates Warning will always have Ray Alder fronting it, but I've upped my appreciation for AtG, and I'm thankful this countdown made me do it.

So...just because I like numbers:  The average list had 6.05 Arch era songs.  If you only count the 15 lists that had Arch era songs, the number jumps to 7.67 (with 4 of the 15 lists having 7 songs).  TAC had the most Arch songs (16), and 3 others (jammindude, Puppies and Realm) had more than 10 songs.  Nine lists had at least one song from Brocken, while five lists had more than one Brocken song.

I thought about not submitting a list because of that, not wanting to skew results. But then giving it some further thought, I was being honest with how I felt, so I submitted it anyway. It's the truth, for my tastes, so it's accurate.

I'm glad you still submitted.  As I mentioned only 7 of the 19 lists had at least one song from every album, which means 12 lists had no songs from at least one album, and 8 of those 12 lists omitted albums other than Arch albums.  My own list had no songs from two albums.  The point being that not being familiar with or not liking a small portion of the catalog (less than 25%) shouldn't be a deterrent to participating.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Realm

« Reply #567 on: October 28, 2022, 03:10:19 PM »

14T A Pleasant Shade of Gray VI (Turn Back All the Years) (APSOG – 9)

Appeared on 13 of 19 entries
Top 10 finishes: 4
Highest Ranking: 1 (SoundscapeMN)

14T Guardian (Awaken the Guardian – 2)

Appeared on 14 of 19 entries
Top 10 finishes: 5
Highest Ranking: 2 (Mister Gold, Puppies_on_Acid)

APSOG VI - my number 3. I just love this track and it is a great centre piece of the album. It builds nicely and the vocals are full of emotion.

Guardian - 13 on my list. I ranked 12 Arch songs on my list (so 9 didn't make it....) this was my highest ranking one. I agree wth TAC that this probably is the signature song of the Arch Era. I know Arch's vocals don't work for everyone but there is a more mythical/magical quality about them on this track and along with some fantastic music it all comes together to create a really epic track that I never get tired of hearing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #568 on: October 28, 2022, 03:11:40 PM »
I did rank one Arch Era track ahead of Guardian. Let's see if it makes this weekend's list.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #569 on: October 28, 2022, 03:42:48 PM »
I did rank one Arch Era track ahead of Guardian. Let's see if it makes this weekend's list.

The Sorceress!!!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #570 on: October 28, 2022, 03:47:58 PM »

The Sorceress!!!!!

Nope..

Offline pg1067

« Reply #571 on: October 28, 2022, 04:41:32 PM »

The Sorceress!!!!!

Won't find a sorceress at the edge of a river....

Too obscure or too obvious?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #572 on: October 28, 2022, 04:42:53 PM »
I see what you did there. :tup

Offline WardySI

« Reply #573 on: October 28, 2022, 07:28:36 PM »
Yep, only included 3 Arch era songs in my own list (Apparition my #9) and while do dig plenty of it can appreciate those not including any.  My intro was Parallels and agree with Sam they really can come over like two different bands.  Generally speaking the Alder era will always be superior for me but to each our own all good!

Sidenote, I own and love the two Arch Matheos records, in fact Winter Ethereal made my Top5 albums of 2019 and still blast that one regularly.  Can't express enough how great that album is Arch kills it and it's well up there with the last few Fates records IMO, essential stuff! :metal

Anyway can't be sure but this might be my first at least only second time having 2 non-rankers at once as had neither APSOG VI or Guardian ranked.  Guardian is a fine song just not high on my Arch faves and VI isfar from my preferred APSOG tracks and tbh like Puppies_ am surprised it rated higher overall than XII but there ya go ;)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 07:33:43 PM by WardySI »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #574 on: October 28, 2022, 08:47:11 PM »
I just arrived in Florida and I’ve been traveling all day and I’m exhausted. I’m not gonna do an update tonight, but I just wanted to stop in to say how shocked I am.….deeply jaw on the floor stunned…that Prelude to Ruin is not going to make the list.

The reason they performed that song with Ray probably longer than any other Arch era song is because it was widely regarded as a fan favorite…commonly mentioned in the same breath as Guardian itself. Similar in structure and placement in album order as Apparition, but usually regarded as being superior (if that’s even possible…they are both amazing).  I thought for sure that when Exodus made it, there was no way we weren’t going to see Prelude.  This just doesn’t compute at all.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Glasser

« Reply #575 on: October 28, 2022, 09:19:39 PM »

The Sorceress!!!!!

Won't find a sorceress at the edge of a river....

Too obscure or too obvious?

Another song for Kade to write.  :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #576 on: October 29, 2022, 11:25:06 AM »
Hey all - I promise I will not spam every thread, but wanted to invite everyone to join LithoJazzoSphere and I in our Katatonia discussion thread.  I mention it here because I think there could be some fan overlap.  And Samsara's soundcheck experience reminded me of my own - I had a meet and greet with Fates Warning that included soundcheck, and I was wearing a Katatonia shirt.  Jim Matheos noticed and said that Katatonia was his favorite band (probably an exaggeration or maybe just his favorite current band) and chatted with me about them for a bit.  Ray said "Katatonia - great band," Bobby started asking me about how far back I go and he had gone back to The Great Cold Distance, and Joey was wearing a Katatonia shirt.  :)

Offline pg1067

Alright...sorry for the late post.

We already know the top 3 Arch era song, which are the only ones that made the countdown.  Here's the first half of the rest of the top 15 Arch songs:

14T. Guardian (408 points) (my rank - 18)
32. The Apparition (309 points) (my rank - 14)
49T. Exodus (220 points) (my rank - 26)
x.
x.
x.
x.
x.
x.
74. Fata Morgana (104 points) (my rank - 30) - I absolutely love this song.  They opened with this song the first time I saw Fates live (after a tape intro of At Fates Hands.

82. Kyrie Eleison (65 points) (my rank - NR)

83. Pirates of the Underground (64 points) (my rank - NR)

84. The Sorceress (58 points) (my rank - NR)

85T. Buried Alive (55 points) (my rank - NR)

90. Orphan Gypsy (46 points) (my rank - NR)

Other than Fata Morgana, I'm not overly fond of any of these songs, but I don't dislike any of them either.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #578 on: October 29, 2022, 06:31:13 PM »
I just arrived in Florida and I’ve been traveling all day and I’m exhausted. I’m not gonna do an update tonight, but I just wanted to stop in to say how shocked I am.….deeply jaw on the floor stunned…that Prelude to Ruin is not going to make the list.

The reason they performed that song with Ray probably longer than any other Arch era song is because it was widely regarded as a fan favorite…commonly mentioned in the same breath as Guardian itself. Similar in structure and placement in album order as Apparition, but usually regarded as being superior (if that’s even possible…they are both amazing).  I thought for sure that when Exodus made it, there was no way we weren’t going to see Prelude.  This just doesn’t compute at all.

They never played Prelude with Ray until the APSOG tour, and it was only played at 12 shows.  Exodus and The Apparition were played at several No Exit and Perfect Symmetry shows.  Fata Morgana and Damnation were the big holdovers from the Arch era, both sticking around through the Parallels tour.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Added the Arch songs so far...

50                                                                              NR
49                                                                              Handful Of Doubt
47                                                                              APSOG III
45                                                                              APSOG IV
44                                                                              Firefly
43                                                                              The Destination Onward
42  Pale Fire                                                                Left Here
41                                                                              The Road Goes On Forever
40  Outside Looking In                                                 Island In The Stream
39  The Longest Shadow Of The Day                             APSOG V (Murder In Munich)
38  Face The Fear                                                        Part Of The Machine
37                                                                              Wish
35  The Apparition                                                       Seven Stars
34                                                                              Eye To Eye
33  Buried Alive                                                           At Fates Hands
32  Silent Cries                                                            APSOG XII
31  Don't Follow Me
24  And Yet It Moves
20  Pirates Of The Underground
17  Exodus
13  The Strand
11  APSOG VI (Turn Back All The Years)
10  Shelter Me
9  Guardian
8  Kyrie Eleison
6  Down To The Wire
4  Something For Nothing
3  We Only Say Goodbye

Offline Lethean

« Reply #580 on: October 29, 2022, 08:13:39 PM »

While I am familiar with the Arch era, it's almost like a completely different band in comparison to the Alder era. In my view, they ARE two distinct bands. So I wasn't going to go through a three-record mini catalog that I don't enjoy as much to find a handful of tracks that may make the 40-50 range in my rankings. Seemed pointless. Even the best Arch era songs to me (Guardian, The Apparition), while cool...I'd rather listen to Ray. Any day. So it was just dumb for me to even try to make a case for an Arch song being in my top-50. They wouldn't be.

I also didn't include any Arch songs, but it's not for lack of giving them a chance.  I own the albums and saw Awaken love.  So I didn't really feel guilty.  I just greatly prefer Ray.  I actually don't think I included any No Exit songs either.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #581 on: October 29, 2022, 09:33:08 PM »

I also didn't include any Arch songs, but it's not for lack of giving them a chance.  I own the albums and saw Awaken love.  So I didn't really feel guilty.  I just greatly prefer Ray.  I actually don't think I included any No Exit songs either.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Offline WardySI

We already know the top 3 Arch era song, which are the only ones that made the countdown.  Here's the first half of the rest of the top 15 Arch songs:

x.
x.
x.
x.
x.
x.
74. Fata Morgana (104 points) (my rank - 30) - I absolutely love this song.  They opened with this song the first time I saw Fates live (after a tape intro of At Fates Hands.

Other than Fata Morgana, I'm not overly fond of any of these songs, but I don't dislike any of them either.

Surprisingly had 2 of the 3 voted in, Exodus at #38 and Apparition #9, and now reviewing my Ranker list properly realize I had in fact 5 Arch-era songs in my 50 not 3 like I had assumed ::)

Anyway so also had Damnation at #36, Valley Of The Dolls at #39, and Buried Alive at #41...

Offline jammindude

x.
x.
x.
x.
x.
x.

:jawdrop:

Where did Prelude end up at?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Glasser

x.
x.
x.
x.
x.
x.

Prelude To Ruin is a top 5 Fates tune for me!!!!!

Offline Glasser

My fave Arch era tune is The Sorceress.

My fave Ray tune is Shades Of Heavenly Death. When I first heard No Exit I thought to myself that this is what Tony Harnell would sound like doing prog metal.

Offline WardySI

Maybe one of those remaining spots?

Good song but is clearly another I need reinvest in...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #587 on: October 30, 2022, 04:05:24 AM »

Must have missed something here.  I had Guardian ranked at number 8.  Best Arch song for me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #588 on: October 30, 2022, 10:58:53 AM »

Must have missed something here.  I had Guardian ranked at number 8.  Best Arch song for me.

Yeah, I was surprised to read you hadn't ranked it (only because I thought I remembered you mentioned how much you liked the song)

As I mentioned before, I had 5 Arch-era songs in my top 50. I had the three that made the aggregate top 50, plus Valley of the Dolls and Prelude to Ruin. Here are my rankings for those:

50 Exodus
49 Valley of the Dolls
48 The Apparition
42 Prelude to Ruin
35 Guardian

I was quite surprised too not to see Prelude to Ruin rank...

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Alright, ranking the Arch Era stuff  :metal

Orphan Gypsy - I had this at #25 and am quite sad to not see it in the overall top 50. That opening guitar lead is awesome with the underlying riffs. Then that chorus is amazingly sing-along worthy.

Buried Alive - This was my #87, so close to the consensus. I never really connected with NoB nearly as much as TSW or AtG. This is, however, a really good attempt at some early '80s power metal.

The Sorceress - Landing at #22 and shame on the rest of you for not rating this masterpiece of an album opener higher. Great Arch vocal melodies here and the music shows how much the band had grown in the year since TSW. The second half of the song kind of goes more doomy for a time, showing some similarities to the early Candlemass records.

Pirates of the Underground - This was at #39 for me. What an intro! Some of the vocal melodies and phrasing are a little awkward here, but that doesn't really detract from how good the song is as a whole. The last couple of minutes are also really good.

Kyrie Eleison - Gotta love that opening and even though the song as a whole isn't the best of songs from TSW, I had it at #44, this song still goes hard. That continuous double bass throughout gives the song a very heavy and thrashy feel. Metallica wishes they were this good......I kid, mostly. In hindsight I probably rated this about 10 spots too low.

Fata Morgana - So my #6 song didn't make the list.....Sad times....and shame on the rest of you! This is another one of those classic FW songs. Those opening riffs, the power metal screams from Arch to open the song, more double bass. This takes the formula explored on Kyrie Eleison and perfected it. Everything about this song is great! Metallica wishes they were this good back in '86.......and this time I'm not kidding  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline pg1067

Excellent question!

The rest of the top 15 Arch era songs:

56. Epitaph (188 points) (my rank - 45) - My opinion about this song and Exodus is the opposite of that of jammindude.  I heard Epitaph first and really like it, but I feel like Exodus was an improvement on the existing model.

57. Traveler in Time (186 points) (my rank - 15) - This was the first Arch song I ever heard.  It remains my all time favorite Arch song, and I was the high ranker (it was on 8 lists).  I was very disappointed that it didn't make the top 50.

62. Prelude to Ruin (161 points) (my rank - somewhere in the 51-60 range) - Here you go, Ben!  Prelude was included on 9 lists and had one top 10 finish.  It's a solid song, but I think it's eclipsed by at least four other songs on ATG.

63. Giant's Lore (Heart of Winter) (160 points) (my rank - 27) - This is another really great song from ATG and might be my favorite Arch lyric.  I feel like it may have been inspired by To Kill a Mockingbird.

70T. Damnation (115 points) (my rank - just missed the top 50) - They played this song the first time I saw them live, and I remember asking people about it and being very excited to find and buy Night on Brocken.  Best song on the debut by a LONG shot.

73. Valley of the Dolls (112 points) (my rank - NR) - Solid song, but probably my least favorite on ATG.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 12:39:20 PM by pg1067 »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Added the rest of the Arch songs...

50  Prelude To Ruin                                                                            NR
49  Damnation                                                                             Handful Of Doubt
44  Traveller In Time                                                    Firefly
42  Pale Fire                                                                Left Here
33  Buried Alive                                                           At Fates Hands
31  Don't Follow Me
30  Giant's Lore
25  Valley Of The Dolls
24  And Yet It Moves
20  Pirates Of The Underground
17  Exodus
16  Epitaph
13  The Strand
11  APSOG VI (Turn Back All The Years)
10  Shelter Me
9  Guardian
8  Kyrie Eleison
6  Down To The Wire
4  Something For Nothing
3  We Only Say Goodbye

I had 12 of the 15 Arch Era tracks listed. I ranked 16 overall.
Of the list Paul listed, I didn't rank The Soceress, Fata Morgana, or Ophan Gypsey.
But I did rank Kiss Of Death, Night On Brocken, Shadowfax, and Misfit.

I ranked Epitaph just one space better then Exodus. Yeah, Exodus is a bit cleaner, but I like the vibe of Epitaph. They're pretty much even though.

Offline pg1067

But I did rank Kiss Of Death, Night On Brocken, Shadowfax, and Misfit.

For the record, you were the only person to rank Misfit and Shadowfax and the high ranker on the other two.

NOB songs got a total of 18 mentions, 8 of which went to Damnation.

Offline The Realm

I ranked 12 Arch era songs. Here are my rankings:

13   Guardian (14 overall)
19   Traveler in Time
23   Prelude to Ruin
24   Giant’s Lore (Heart of Winter)
28   The Apparition (32 overall)
32   Exodus (49 overall)
33   Epitaph
37   Orphan Gypsy
40   Kiss of Death
41   Kyrie Eleison
44   Buried Alive
47   The Sorceress

Personally, I feel there is lots of great stuff in the Arch era but I know Arch's vocals can be very polarising.

Offline pg1067

Re: Official top 50 Fates Warning countdown thread!! - Almost to the Top 10!
« Reply #594 on: October 31, 2022, 09:55:27 AM »
I hope those of you familiar with the Arch era enjoyed the mini countdown and that those not familiar with it will give it a chance based on some of the comments.  And now we’re back to the main countdown.

13 Through Different Eyes (Perfect Symmetry – 4)

Appeared on 15 of 19 entries
Top 10 finishes: 3
Highest Ranking: 3 (wolfking)

Gotta admit that I was VERY surprised to see this song so high in the countdown.  TDE finished at #53 on my countdown, and I think it is the lesser of the two “Eyes” songs that seem to have been written in an attempt to write a “hit single.”  The odd rhythms in the verses are the sort thing that usually appeals to me, but in this case it just doesn’t wok all that well.

12 One (Disconnected – 2)

Appeared on 18 of 19 entries
Top 10 finishes: 3
Highest Ranking: 2 (Samsara, The Realm)

Also surprised with this one.  I had it at #47, and it’s another from Disconnected that I connected with after hearing it done live.  It's a solid, concise song.