Author Topic: Rhapsody of Fire and Luca Turilli's Rhapsody: Worst split ever.  (Read 1054 times)

Offline Darkstarshades

Yes, I'm aware that there's an "official Rhapsody of Fire thread" and idk if there's a Luca Turilli one.
But I want to discuss with you both.

I think this split was... stupid. It didn't really make that much sense and didn't got to many places either, since Rhapsody of Fire got a pretty decent album and are now working on a new one set for October 2015.

Whereas Prometheus from LT'sR is mindblowing and one of my two favorite 2015 albums so far (Along with Nightwish's endless forms most beautiful)

But I mean, think of it this way.
A guy who was already in charge of the band's musical direction leaves the group he created to create another one so he can have creative direction once again, a group with the same name (except that now it's HIS Rhapsody). Not the same topics but the same kind of music, but the same logo.

Imagine that Mike Portnoy had left DT and then created "Mike Portnoy's Dream Theater", another prog group about personal issues.
Or... "Tarja Turunen's Nightwish" another symphonic group with her on the lead voice. Or not, it would be even more similar to have "Tuomas Holopainen's Nightwish", he's already the boss, so let's quit and make another one!

Idk just confused and mindblown so wtf.
You can create your own fictional splits and discuss this kind of splits, like Rhapsody's and whatnot. o.O
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Rhapsody of Fire and Luca Turilli's Rhapsody: Worst split ever.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 10:25:24 PM »
It is a bit confusing to essentially have two Rhapsodys, especially with the same logo and stuff, although it indicates that it was a somewhat amicable split, which I like.

Unfortunately so far it's 1/3 for me. Luca Turilli got in first with an album that was up to the same standard and style of what came before it. Rhapsody of Fire has just turned into average power metal without Turilli's distinctive guitar style, and I found that album completely forgettable. And the new Luca Turilli album was equally forgettable, and silly with the random scifi word medley lyrics.

I think it's a rare case that you get a split like this. In other similar cases, it's usually to try and cash in on the name and gets settled through legal means (like Queensryche and Tate).
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.