Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 576589 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread
« Reply #6755 on: October 09, 2022, 03:46:51 PM »
Not Frontiers but I had a listen to the new Dynazty.......jeez......these guys have really run out of ideas hey.  :lol

Yeah ... if you've heard 1 Dynazty album, you've heard them all.  I thought this one was more enjoyable than their last two efforts though - can't really say why, it's just my gut reaction.

The last one (Dark Delight) is actually my fav from them, easily.  I thought they nailed everything on that one.  There is so much here that's just repeated from that especially and older albums.  Listen to I think it was Natural Born Killer and then Heartless Madness and try not to laugh your ass off.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6756 on: October 10, 2022, 04:08:33 AM »
Not Frontiers but I had a listen to the new Dynazty.......jeez......these guys have really run out of ideas hey.  :lol

Yeah ... if you've heard 1 Dynazty album, you've heard them all.  I thought this one was more enjoyable than their last two efforts though - can't really say why, it's just my gut reaction.

The last one (Dark Delight) is actually my fav from them, easily.  I thought they nailed everything on that one.  There is so much here that's just repeated from that especially and older albums.  Listen to I think it was Natural Born Killer and then Heartless Madness and try not to laugh your ass off.

I thought it was ok but really Sultans of Sin is the only album I ever go back to.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6757 on: October 10, 2022, 04:16:35 AM »

I thought it was ok but really Sultans of Sin is the only album I ever go back to.

From memory, I didn't really dig the old stuff.  I'd have to revisit them.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6758 on: October 10, 2022, 06:15:23 AM »

From memory, I didn't really dig the old stuff.  I'd have to revisit them.

I've bought 2 Dynazty albums - SoS (at Paul's suggestion), and Renatus.  I saved a couple on Spotify, but haven't been terribly stuffed about them otherwise.  The Night Flight Orchestra falls into this category as well ... I own Amber Galactic and Aeromatic, but the rest does very little for me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6759 on: October 10, 2022, 03:06:06 PM »
Renatus was the first one that got me interested.  I have that on CD.  Besides that and The Dark Delight, meh.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #6760 on: October 12, 2022, 03:23:48 AM »
Just for some more positivity will give another shout out for the new House Of Lords album Saints And Sinners.

Sure it's not perfect nor a patch on their heyday releases, nor anything new, but while still a bit too sugar and floss at times finally the lyrics are better more varied, and many of the songs heavier! Tbh feel this is some of their best work since reforming and whatever it was they did different this time, they should keep doing ;)

The title-track is very nice;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ7fv5i5ga4

Mistress Of The Dark;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmRMpTwziNY

Take It All sounds like it coulda been lifted from the Demons Down sessions?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THByNtrjLew

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6761 on: October 12, 2022, 09:47:27 AM »
Just for some more positivity will give another shout out for the new House Of Lords album Saints And Sinners.

Sure it's not perfect nor a patch on their heyday releases, nor anything new, but while still a bit too sugar and floss at times finally the lyrics are better more varied, and many of the songs heavier! Tbh feel this is some of their best work since reforming and whatever it was they did different this time, they should keep doing ;)

The title-track is very nice;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ7fv5i5ga4

Mistress Of The Dark;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmRMpTwziNY

Take It All sounds like it coulda been lifted from the Demons Down sessions?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THByNtrjLew

I've written about Jimi Bell here a lot; he's from Hartford and plays in a local Deep Purple - well, really Ritchie Blackmore - cover band called "Beyond Purple" that does Purple, Whitesnake and Rainbow.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6762 on: October 12, 2022, 03:10:36 PM »
Good guitar player. 

Offline WardySI

« Reply #6763 on: October 13, 2022, 09:18:28 PM »
Did not know that thanks Stadler and yes agree he is great.

I think I remember before the previous album there were some rumblings regards Jimi not being so happy with the HOL direction or something (and rightfully so IMO) and glad James has taken better direction here.  So long as they stick to it think this should set them up nicely for a couple more releases tbh \m/

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6764 on: October 15, 2022, 01:01:21 AM »
I've always felt that Jimi Bell is a decent player but often gets a bit too carried away trying to sound exactly like Zakk Wylde.  Might just be me.......
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6765 on: October 15, 2022, 03:41:11 AM »
I've always felt that Jimi Bell is a decent player but often gets a bit too carried away trying to sound exactly like Zakk Wylde.  Might just be me.......

i've never really thought that listening to him, but I can see what you mean.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6766 on: October 17, 2022, 11:15:37 AM »

Well, there are similarities, but I think it's far more that they have similar influences.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6767 on: October 19, 2022, 11:29:46 AM »
The last few HoL albums all sound like they are recorded and mixed, then someone drops the vocals on top. They just don’t sound like they fit in the mix.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6768 on: November 03, 2022, 09:56:30 AM »
oooohhhh... this one's for Kade for sure.

https://youtu.be/7VgMmIvinzE
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #6769 on: November 03, 2022, 10:28:23 AM »
^^ Warning, there's some flashing lights and images here and there.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6770 on: November 03, 2022, 03:27:44 PM »

Thank fuck I don't have sound here on my work PC.  Lights of Japan?  :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #6771 on: November 03, 2022, 06:24:25 PM »

Thank fuck I don't have sound here on my work PC.  Lights of Japan?  :lol

I'm reading all of the glowing comments under the video and trying to figure out which one is yours.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6772 on: November 04, 2022, 04:03:51 AM »
As it got going I was thinking it would be an okay song with someone else singing, not nasally screeching.  I then saw James Martin on keyboards and realised it could have been a Vega b-side which explains it.

Guitar solo sucks.  What awful timing and phrasing.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6773 on: November 04, 2022, 06:03:30 AM »
As it got going I was thinking it would be an okay song with someone else singing, not nasally screeching.  I then saw James Martin on keyboards and realised it could have been a Vega b-side which explains it.

Guitar solo sucks.  What awful timing and phrasing.

The whole thing was fuckin awful, not just Issa.  I tried to listen to it, had to tap out after about a minute.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #6774 on: November 28, 2022, 01:13:48 PM »
New Revolution Saints (Jeff Pilson and Joel Hoekstra are in now) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEy5-jZXjZc&t=24s

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6775 on: November 28, 2022, 03:40:53 PM »
New Revolution Saints (Jeff Pilson and Joel Hoekstra are in now) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEy5-jZXjZc&t=24s

For what it is , I think that's actually pretty good.  They don't even credit songwriters any more .................presumably it's just "the machine"
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Deathless

« Reply #6776 on: November 29, 2022, 08:39:28 AM »

For what it is , I think that's actually pretty good.  They don't even credit songwriters any more .................presumably it's just "the machine"

I enjoyed it too. On Spotify the writing credits are:

Alessandro Del Vecchio
Francesco Savino
Rossella Moscatello

So yes?  ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6777 on: December 04, 2022, 03:48:49 AM »
New Khymera song is pretty damn good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6778 on: December 04, 2022, 03:58:28 AM »

Yeah, this is quite excellent.  Deen has an amazing voice.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6779 on: December 04, 2022, 04:55:06 AM »
I really enjoyed the 2015 Rev Saints album.  Can't say I remember the 2020 one.  That tune was pretty decent.  Khymera was ok... definitely fits the thread title!   :biggrin:

Most know how much of a fanboy I am for Johnny Gioelli, and he's got an album out under a new banner - Enemy Eyes.  He described it as "combining old school rock with a European metal feel".  Pretty accurate, imo.  Dude sounds just as good as he did on Hardline's s/t release from 30 years ago.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oegZn6Zt4fM.  Where the hell does Frontiers get the money to invest in these kinds of high quality videos??  Dunno... maybe they're just shot on a Samsung Galaxy.  :lol

Another release I'm really digging from Frontiers is Mantric Momentum / Trial By Fire - it's got Terje Haroy from Pyramaze on the mic.  Nice blend of traditional metal, with a power-y slant.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R82OFSYFp4A

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6780 on: December 04, 2022, 11:35:04 AM »
Not really into the song but yeah Johnny definitely sounds good.  If that Hardline debut album had come out 2-3 years earlier, would have been huge.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6781 on: December 19, 2022, 12:41:45 PM »
disregarding the cheesiness of the vid, I had a go at this album today.  Very solid.  Like, as good as the stuff Frontiers used to pump out 8-10 years ago.  Landfall / Two Strangers ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQfO0y-yU6Y

Tim hates it.
Wolf hates it to - but he hates all music lately.   :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6782 on: December 19, 2022, 02:15:27 PM »
Hey, I haven't even clicked the link yet!.............but yeah, I'll probably hate it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6783 on: December 19, 2022, 02:16:20 PM »
With the Revolution Saints, I thought the very first album was really really good.  Some great melodic rock songs on that one.  They fell off a cliff for me after that though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6784 on: December 20, 2022, 03:49:29 AM »
disregarding the cheesiness of the vid, I had a go at this album today.  Very solid.  Like, as good as the stuff Frontiers used to pump out 8-10 years ago.  Landfall / Two Strangers ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQfO0y-yU6Y

Tim hates it.

I checked it out.....

I didn't know COVID affected your hearing along with your taste and smell.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6785 on: December 20, 2022, 04:41:09 AM »
 :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6786 on: December 20, 2022, 06:21:36 AM »

Tim hates it.

I checked it out.....

You know, you might be on to something.  Or that lightning fried more than you are ready to admit.   :P :-*

Online nick_z

« Reply #6787 on: December 20, 2022, 08:09:09 AM »
Posting it here since it's Frontiers:

After Lapse - Face the Storm

From Spain, in many ways this is as textbook "prog metal" as it gets, but I found it enjoyable. Strong DT influence in some of the guitar riffs/solos and keyboards textures, as one would expect, but it's a pretty concise package, with no real long songs (by prog standards). Nice vocal melodies, especially in the choruses (some of them a tad more melodic power-adjacent, e.g. Where No One Cares). Vocals are good, maybe kinda thin at the top of their range. The verses in a couple of songs try to be a little tougher, which doesn't work super-well, but overall things are in the right places.

Again, nothing new, but it was a pleasant listen.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6788 on: December 20, 2022, 03:55:56 PM »

Tim hates it.

I checked it out.....

You know, you might be on to something.  Or that lightning fried more than you are ready to admit.   :P :-*

Oh yeah, I was certainly fried before, but yes, even more so now.  :lol

I realised life is too short to spend my time listening to generic, rehashed and average music.  ;D

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6789 on: December 21, 2022, 04:51:36 PM »

Tim hates it.

Just dropped in to say Fuck me that was bad. :lol :lol :lol