Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 576609 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #1575 on: February 07, 2014, 03:58:40 AM »
Since you are not the biggest PF fan, your review is quite positive.  Still waiting to get my hands on it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1576 on: February 07, 2014, 04:04:12 AM »
What the hey, it's on Spotify, so I'll give it a listen.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1577 on: February 07, 2014, 04:55:26 AM »
Since you are not the biggest PF fan, your review is quite positive.  Still waiting to get my hands on it.

I'm pretty sure you'll like it - how high it rates compared to others...........I'll be interested what you think.

Just listened to the latest Queensryche and , unlike most other albums I've listened to of late , upgraded ratings on a few tracks.  I like it better after a long break from it.
One thing that stuck out as a negative was some of the lead guitar work.  As an example the last track (Open Road) is one of my faves - a very lush , sweeping song and the guitar solo is at a level I would expect from a 2nd or 3rd year student ........a decent solo would've taken that song to a whole extra level.  I can only assume that was Parker Lundgren  :-\  .....ruined it a bit for me.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1578 on: February 07, 2014, 04:59:32 AM »
I'm only at track 5 on the Primal Fear album, and I can already hear what you mean about it getting a bit monotonous, but if you enjoy the sound, that's not necessarily a bad thing at all. From what I've heard so far, it all seems pretty solid and catchy, it's just that there aren't a lot of changes or diversity. I'm sure with more listens, the songs would stand out more though.
I didn't mind it at all, but I'm not as much into the metal, so I can only take it in smaller doses before wanting to change it up.

Good production, and what seems to be a pretty solid album. I have no doubt you'll like it wolfking. :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1579 on: February 07, 2014, 05:18:05 AM »
Wow, if you don't mind it Blob, it must be fucking good.  I'm hoping I can find it at a JB tomorrow.  It's now listed on their website as today as the release date, but doesn't say it's in stock.  If not, I'm ordering it online on Monday.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1580 on: February 07, 2014, 05:31:17 AM »
Wow, if you don't mind it Blob, it must be fucking good. 

:lol
Let's hope that's the case for you.
I'm listening through the rest now.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1581 on: February 07, 2014, 05:48:59 AM »

Yeah, I'm a pretty big fan and have followed them since Black Sun (2002), every album has impressed me, so I'm sure I'll dig this one.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1582 on: February 07, 2014, 06:19:20 AM »

Yeah, I'm a pretty big fan and have followed them since Black Sun (2002), every album has impressed me, so I'm sure I'll dig this one.

You will

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1583 on: February 09, 2014, 03:13:23 AM »
FUCK YEAH!!  Got home tonight from a very successful JB HI FI shopping day.  Visited a few, but here's what I got today and yesterday.  This haul is pretty much inspired by this thread.  I went to one JB about an hour and a half away where I knew that they would have some different stuff;

Also got the new Periphery EP but I know you guys aren't really interested in that.

I instantly put on Primal Fear and am up to One Night in December, and holy shit is this good stuff.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1584 on: February 09, 2014, 03:59:30 AM »
Nice job - the variety of melodic rock/metal available at my local JB's has gone down the shitter in the last few years.  All those old albums are good.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1585 on: February 09, 2014, 04:02:44 AM »
Nice job - the variety of melodic rock/metal available at my local JB's has gone down the sitter in the last few years.  All those old albums are good.

Depends on the staff I think.  The two best ones which is where I found these albums have dudes that are metal heads working on the floor.  I've had a chat with both of them and it shows they know their shit and it reflects in the selections of metal.  When you go to a JB and there is just the run of the mill new metal stuff, you know the staff are fucking new age hipsters that hate metal and rock.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1586 on: February 09, 2014, 04:07:54 AM »
The Primal Fear is amazing.  I need more listens, but it's better than Unbreakable.  The solo sections are still pretty pedestrian and Magnus is still a bit boxed in with his style of writing when it comes to the solo sections, but it seems he's fitting in his song writing style a lot better now.  I'm impressed with this.  Early highlights are the opener, the amazing Rebel Fraction, the epic, the ballad and the two amazing bonus tracks.

I'm now having a spin of Too Hot to Sleep before I hit the sack, and it's right up my alley.  Amazing songs so far, but boy, I think Erik Martenssen listened to this album a bit too much when he was writing the Jimi Jamison album.  There's sections of these songs that he blatantly ripped off.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1587 on: February 09, 2014, 04:17:04 AM »
Speaking of stuff sounding like other albums.................just as I read your post I had the song Smoke & Fire come on by The Magnificent.  Check the first 25 secs of that song if it's handy and see if you can't match the sound to a particular album by one of the big 80's melrock bands.  Everything from the guitar/key sound and production to the vocal - not something I'd normally note but to me it's so obvious.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1588 on: February 09, 2014, 04:23:39 AM »
Never noticed it before but it's hard to miss really.

Rock now, rock the night!!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1589 on: February 09, 2014, 04:28:04 AM »
Right band - wrong album although I can see what you mean there too.  For me it's a dead ringer for Out Of This World.

Here's the two side by side -  as if the guitar/key/production wasn't enough the vocalist has to do a Tempest and Oooh yeah and then "Look out!" and then I was like FFS!!!! ....how good is this?  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsETJuftcV0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3rayl1VOj0

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1590 on: February 09, 2014, 04:30:03 AM »
Yeah, that's one a bit more similar.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1591 on: February 09, 2014, 05:24:33 AM »
Awesome Survivor album, good Firehouse album, and the new album you wanted. I'd call that a good haul! :metal

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1592 on: February 09, 2014, 05:38:19 AM »
Too Hot To Sleep is such a killer album!! :metal

I was so glad to see them again in 2001 and they played a few songs from that album.  Great show, Survivor, REO & Styx.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1593 on: February 09, 2014, 09:32:18 AM »
Great haul Kade.  Love that Fireshouse s/t album.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1594 on: February 09, 2014, 12:54:31 PM »
Great haul Kade.  Love that Fireshouse s/t album.

Three stellar tracks on that but i prefer the follow up - then they went really shit.
THTS is a great album.

Primal fear's newie is excellent. When Death Comes Knocking  :metal :hefdaddy

Offline Delirious Nomad

« Reply #1595 on: February 09, 2014, 03:30:29 PM »
I loved "Don't treat me bad" from the first Firehouse album, but I was thinking the band have not found their style yet. Too generic and exchangeable. I prefer the second one "Hold Your Fire", too. A David Prater production and the sound is very close to I&W. Also like  "3", but ,yeah, it went downhill from there.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1596 on: February 09, 2014, 03:38:57 PM »
Firehouse were a solid band who - yes - seemed to lose their touch after the first 2-3 albums.  As has been mentioned I also prefer the Hold Your Fire album.

Both of those albums are pretty solid affairs but I'd really only return to 3-4 great songs off each .

Off the top of my head:

Debut:  Overnight Sensation, All She Wrote , Home Is Where The Heart Is and maybe Helpless

2nd:  Reach For The Sky, Rock You Tonight, Hold Your Fire......and maybe another I'm forgetting.

I think I could make an awesome compilation album out of those two.   
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 04:59:30 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1597 on: February 09, 2014, 07:06:44 PM »
It should be stated that I have not heard a single Firehouse song.  I saw the album for $12 and knew the name so I took a punt.  They had another one of their albums, I think it may have been the follow up, but decided to start with the one.

Also, great to see love for the Survivor, it's really good, and the production is awesome.

Spun the Primal Fear twice now and it's brilliant.  The production also is stellar and Ralf's vocals are just stunning.  One Night in December is one of Karlsson's best, and Born With a Broken Heart is easily one of the best ballads he has come up with too.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1598 on: February 09, 2014, 08:21:49 PM »
It should be stated that I have not heard a single Firehouse song.  I saw the album for $12 and knew the name so I took a punt.  They had another one of their albums, I think it may have been the follow up, but decided to start with the one.

I think Hold Your Fire is the better album, so if that's the one they had, you should have gotten that instead. :biggrin:

Also, great to see love for the Survivor, it's really good, and the production is awesome.

My favourite Survivor album, even more so than Vital Signs (which is also great). The great production certainly helps too.

Spun the Primal Fear twice now and it's brilliant.  The production also is stellar and Ralf's vocals are just stunning.  One Night in December is one of Karlsson's best, and Born With a Broken Heart is easily one of the best ballads he has come up with too.

I guess you were right about my opinion. :lol In future you should just buy every album I think is halfway decent.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1599 on: February 09, 2014, 08:49:33 PM »

I think Hold Your Fire is the better album, so if that's the one they had, you should have gotten that instead. :biggrin:

My favourite Survivor album, even more so than Vital Signs (which is also great). The great production certainly helps too.

I guess you were right about my opinion. :lol In future you should just buy every album I think is halfway decent.

I just checked the album cover for Hold Your Fire and that was the other album they had in stock.  :lol  Oh well, if I like the debut, I'll get that next time.

I still need to get a physical copy of Vital Signs.  I think I like this one a lot more though.

And yes, every album in this thread that you think is somewhat alright, I'm rushing out and buying it on the spot.  :rollin

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1600 on: February 10, 2014, 03:42:09 AM »
Randy Black drum tracking for Rebel Faction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_tV0BA9Kbgg

The more I listen to this album, the more fucking ridiculous it is, amazing.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1601 on: February 10, 2014, 06:32:50 AM »
This is moving up my list of PF releases fast, big time.  Alive and on Fire is a major ass kicking tune.  All of them are awesome actually; One Night in December is unbelievable.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1602 on: February 10, 2014, 02:41:46 PM »
This is moving up my list of PF releases fast, big time.  Alive and on Fire is a major ass kicking tune.  All of them are awesome actually; One Night in December is unbelievable.

I'm listening to that song right now, it's seriously one of the greatest songs I've heard in a long time.  The only thing I question is the reprise of the When Death Comes Knocking riff in the middle, but I think it may be intentional.

Magnus and Mat have really hit a home run here.  Magnus was finding his feet with the last two, but it seems he's really zoned in on the PF sound with still adding his touch.  He is a worldclass songwriter and player.  This album is insane.

The title track is another favourite, it rips.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1603 on: February 10, 2014, 02:43:34 PM »
Probably not getting the Primal Fear until the weekend. You guys have me stoked for it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1604 on: February 10, 2014, 02:45:09 PM »
Probably not getting the Primal Fear until the weekend. You guys have me stoked for it.

I don't think there's any chance that you will be disappointed with this.  In fact, this album is more than what anyone can ask for and should fully satisfy every PF fan.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1605 on: February 10, 2014, 03:22:12 PM »

I don't think there's any chance that you will be disappointed with this.  In fact, this album is more than what anyone can ask for and should fully satisfy every PF fan.
I haven't sampled any of it, just going by what you are saying.

I DID sample some of the  new Silent Force, and I'm a little iffy.  Their other stuff realy doesn't stand out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1606 on: February 10, 2014, 04:58:41 PM »

I haven't sampled any of it, just going by what you are saying.

I DID sample some of the  new Silent Force, and I'm a little iffy.  Their other stuff realy doesn't stand out.

That SF album is killer. Give it a full chance before writing it off, TAC.  I've only spun the Delivering the Black once while working, so I wasn't able to fully immerse myself in it.  Think I might have to do that tonight if I can.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1607 on: February 10, 2014, 05:05:40 PM »
I need to give that Silent Force a better chance but , like TAC, my initial thoughts of the first couple of songs I heard were a bit "meh!"      I think that likely has a bit to do with me already owning what must be 15-20 albums with Bormann singing in a similar (and likely better) vein.  I can certainly understand the change of style upsetting long time SF fans.

I'm not going to judge of a couple of songs though.........so I'll leave a verdict til  after a proper listen.  Expectations are low so hopefully I'll be surprised.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1608 on: February 10, 2014, 05:28:12 PM »
I need to give that Silent Force a better chance but , like TAC, my initial thoughts of the first couple of songs I heard were a bit "meh!"      I think that likely has a bit to do with me already owning what must be 15-20 albums with Bormann singing in a similar (and likely better) vein.  I can certainly understand the change of style upsetting long time SF fans.

I'm not going to judge of a couple of songs though.........so I'll leave a verdict til  after a proper listen.  Expectations are low so hopefully I'll be surprised.

Fair enough... and Bormann is still new enough to my ears that it's a great listen for that alone.  Although, I do really enjoy the guitar tones/riffs/melodies too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1609 on: February 10, 2014, 06:52:26 PM »
I had concerns about the Silent Force too going into it, but it turned out absolutely amazing.  Stunning album.