Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 222510 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #3290 on: November 19, 2023, 10:15:02 AM »
‘For All Mankind’  is really good. I binged the first three seasons in about two weeks. 4th season just started. It tells a really cool alternate reality story.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3291 on: November 20, 2023, 03:37:28 AM »
Just signed up for Apple TV to watch Monarch (which I very much enjoyed the first two episodes).  Going to give 'Severance' a look next as I've only heard good things about it and maybe 'Silo' too.  Anything else worth checking out on this service?

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3292 on: November 20, 2023, 05:05:02 AM »
I've heard very good things (both here and elsewhere) about For All Mankind.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3293 on: November 20, 2023, 06:21:57 AM »
What's the deal with the "Fargo" being advertised?  I didn't watch the first one - I thought there was a first one - but this looks like different actors.  Remake? 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3294 on: November 20, 2023, 06:28:56 AM »
Just signed up for Apple TV to watch Monarch (which I very much enjoyed the first two episodes).  Going to give 'Severance' a look next as I've only heard good things about it and maybe 'Silo' too.  Anything else worth checking out on this service?

For All Mankind

I enjoyed ‘See’ with Jason Momoa

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3295 on: November 20, 2023, 06:29:30 AM »
What's the deal with the "Fargo" being advertised?  I didn't watch the first one - I thought there was a first one - but this looks like different actors.  Remake? 

The first season of the show basically revisited the same plot/characters as the movie, but they've since turned it into an anthology show. New setting/stories/characters each season but all in the spirit and mood of the original.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3296 on: November 20, 2023, 07:25:47 AM »

The first season of the show basically revisited the same plot/characters as the movie, but they've since turned it into an anthology show. New setting/stories/characters each season but all in the spirit and mood of the original.

Movie; wasn't there also already a show, though?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3297 on: November 20, 2023, 09:19:57 AM »
There have already been 4 seasons of the show.  The upcoming is season 5.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3298 on: November 20, 2023, 11:37:19 AM »

Movie; wasn't there also already a show, though?

I don't think so. The movie came out in 96, and according to Wikipedia there was a pilot filmed in 97 that would have continued the story from the movie but it never made it to series, and now the current show which started in 2014 and is now on season 5.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3299 on: November 20, 2023, 12:05:10 PM »
Thanks, guys; maybe that's what I was confusing. It's the SAME show but with different actors.  Got it.  I may go back and watch it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3300 on: November 20, 2023, 01:44:38 PM »
Been on a big Christopher Titus kick lately, and I found seasons 1 & 2 of Titus on DVD for cheap, so I’m currently watching that. Completely forgot how hilarious that show was. 3 episodes deep and the wife and I were laughing our butts off.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3301 on: November 20, 2023, 02:13:11 PM »
Been on a big Christopher Titus kick lately, and I found seasons 1 & 2 of Titus on DVD for cheap, so I’m currently watching that. Completely forgot how hilarious that show was. 3 episodes deep and the wife and I were laughing our butts off.

That show was absolutely hilarious! He's a funny dude.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3302 on: November 20, 2023, 06:13:27 PM »
I'm really enjoying the new Frasier show. The was a cameo in the last eppisode that many will love.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3303 on: November 20, 2023, 07:00:11 PM »
I'm really enjoying the new Frasier show. The was a cameo in the last eppisode that many will love.

Yes! The Frasier is surprisingly well written!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3304 on: November 21, 2023, 06:39:21 AM »

That show was absolutely hilarious! He's a funny dude.

Agreed.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3305 on: November 21, 2023, 07:15:15 AM »
Just an FYI to everyone that Six Feet Under, one of the greatest televisions shows ever by any measure :), is finally available on Netflix.   :hat :hat

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3306 on: November 21, 2023, 07:19:53 AM »
I only watched season 1 and gave up.

Not because I disliked it, I guess with all the stuff there is to see I didn't get that "OMG this is awesome" factor that would entice me to go on and so I always favored watching something else.

If I get back on Netflix one day, and having already seen the best stuff there is there, I might finally start it again.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3307 on: November 21, 2023, 07:28:41 AM »
Just an FYI to everyone that Six Feet Under, one of the greatest televisions shows ever by any measure :), is finally available on Netflix.   :hat :hat
The greatest series finale episode of all time.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3308 on: November 21, 2023, 08:16:06 AM »
Watched some HallMark thing last night with mrs.jingle that starred Lacey Chabert (shocker!) and Scott Wolf.

Which inspired us to finally fire up Party of Five (it's on Prime) - 'twas a favorite show of mine when it originally aired.  (Re) Watched the pilot, and with the dearth of new material coming out that appeals to both of us, I figure we'll make this our 'go-to' when there's nothing else on for the next year or so.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3309 on: November 21, 2023, 08:29:44 AM »

For All Mankind

I would definitely add Morning Show too, just love that show.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3310 on: November 21, 2023, 08:35:23 AM »

For All Mankind

I've heard great things but haven't taken the plunge. Largely due to my wife wanting to watch it as well but she doesn't have the 'binge' stamina that I do.  :lol  She's an episode at a time person.....who does that? If the series is there in full to be watched or a season or two....I'm a solid 3-4 at a time binger, something more depending on what I have going on the next day.

and maybe 'Silo' too. 

Silo is awesome! Big thumbs up from me on this one as well.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3311 on: November 21, 2023, 08:40:37 AM »
They got a couple seasons in the bag already, so you're good for binging behind your wife's back.  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3312 on: November 21, 2023, 08:50:50 AM »

For All Mankind

Ditto!  This season was bonkers.  I really liked Billy Crudup's portrayal of Cory this season.  S2 he seemed a little 'off' (tame?), but this year was a return to the form of S1 that I loved so much, the person who thrived on chaos, and revelled in it while it destroyed him.

@ Gary... I'm sure you'll be able to hook Mrs Millerdrake for 2-at-a-time - they are all largely 1hr episodes.  After it gets rolling, most episodes leave you on the edge of your seat.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3313 on: November 21, 2023, 09:04:47 AM »

100%  :tup

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3314 on: November 21, 2023, 12:27:00 PM »

Agree.  It's been excellent - even though it's basically a completely different show.  I wondered when Lilith would show up.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3315 on: November 22, 2023, 01:59:23 AM »

So just watched the first two episodes of 'Severance'.  Yeah. Sold on this one.  Very 'Mr Robot' vibes here, feel like there are layers to what we are been shown that won't reveal themselves till later down the line.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3316 on: November 22, 2023, 02:16:59 AM »
I've finished The Marvelous Mrs Maisel. Amazing, lovely series, great from start to finish, heartwarming and funny.

I can't even pinpoint why I love it so much. A mix of everything, I guess - the rapid fire witty dialogues, the absurdism that never goes over the top, all the quirks of the characters... it was my comfort show and I'm gonna miss it dearly.

Having said that, I liked the final season, but - SPOILERS AHEAD - I found the flash forward scenes very perplexing. One thing is doing a vague flash forward, you know - you show a dishelved Walter White buying a rifle and you wonder why he comes to be in that position. But in the second episode of the last season you flat out tell me that Midge is gonna become worldwide famous, that she's no longer friends with Susie and that she's married four times? the hell was that? why would I feel any tension during the last season knowing that whatever happens, she'll make it?

Anyway, the final episode itself was great, and the scene with Gordon was one of the most satisfying name-dropping of a show ever. Lovely to see it all end with Midge and Susie talking shit like in the good ol' days.

One of the best recent series, my applause to everyone involved!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3317 on: November 22, 2023, 10:51:16 AM »

Agree.  It's been excellent - even though it's basically a completely different show.  I wondered when Lilith would show up.

Since he is back in Boston, I can’t imagine a scenario where he doesn’t revisit the old Cheers.  But I honestly can’t remember what happened in the original Cheers finale. I’m sure it was probably sold to new owners or something.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3318 on: November 22, 2023, 11:27:33 AM »

Since he is back in Boston, I can’t imagine a scenario where he doesn’t revisit the old Cheers.  But I honestly can’t remember what happened in the original Cheers finale. I’m sure it was probably sold to new owners or something.

Nope:
After the rest of the gang head home for the night, Norm briefly stays behind and tells Sam that he knew he would return to Boston for his "one true love." Sam asks what he means, but Norm just smiles and says, "you'll always come back to her."After Norm leaves, Sam looks around the empty bar and says to himself, "I'm the luckiest son of a bitch on earth," before he tells someone (Bob Broder[c]) knocking on the door, "Sorry, we're closed." He walks over and straightens a picture of Geronimo[d] hanging on the back wall, and then exits into the corridor toward the billiard room and the back door. The final shot of the series is of Cheers seen from the street at night.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3319 on: November 22, 2023, 12:54:38 PM »
Finished the second season of Bosch: Legacy.  Good stuff.  Also, the last episode was one of the last things that Lance Reddick filmed, so it was good to see him.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3320 on: November 22, 2023, 12:57:36 PM »

I'm kind of let down by the newest Frasier. I'm a huge fan of the original plus Cheers. I think Kelsey is crushing it as Frasier, and I mostly like his old English friend. But everyone else just feels like typical sitcom characters, especially Freddy. They have good moments, especially the one where he hangs out in the fire house, but it just feels not very special. There's nothing bad or anything, just.....boring? The kid playing Niles' son is not working for me either. However, the recent episode with Lilith was great. Those two were just perfect together.

I'm also a bit shocked there's no Cheers cameos, but I guess that's more of a behind the scenes thing than anything else. But maybe one day? And maybe one day the writing will get more interesting.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3321 on: November 22, 2023, 01:20:30 PM »

I'm kind of let down by the newest Frasier. I'm a huge fan of the original plus Cheers. I think Kelsey is crushing it as Frasier, and I mostly like his old English friend. But everyone else just feels like typical sitcom characters, especially Freddy. They have good moments, especially the one where he hangs out in the fire house, but it just feels not very special. There's nothing bad or anything, just.....boring? The kid playing Niles' son is not working for me either. However, the recent episode with Lilith was great. Those two were just perfect together.

I'm also a bit shocked there's no Cheers cameos, but I guess that's more of a behind the scenes thing than anything else. But maybe one day? And maybe one day the writing will get more interesting.

I'm very glad didn't have to see Frasier the TV psychiatrist.  That would have been awful.  I agree that Niles's son is the worst character.  Fortunately, he's barely around, and his presence in the firehouse episode made for a pretty funny side plot.  The blind date episode was really good too.  June Diane Raphael really towed the line as someone who could have been there for either Frasier or Freddy.  Hoping we see a few cameos here and there.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3322 on: November 22, 2023, 01:35:09 PM »
My problem is that for me, Frazier was one of those characters that was great in small doses as an ensemble.  I LOVED (and still love) Cheers.  One of my favorite shows ever; I gave up on Frazier after maybe a season or two.  Didn't like the father character, didn't like Niles, didn't like Daphne...  I don't know; Frazier to me is Josh McDaniels; fantastic at his support role, one of several odd characters in a bar, but didn't work as the main man.   I'm not hearing much here that makes me want to watch this.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3323 on: November 22, 2023, 01:54:46 PM »
My problem is that for me, Frazier was one of those characters that was great in small doses as an ensemble.  I LOVED (and still love) Cheers.  One of my favorite shows ever; I gave up on Frazier after maybe a season or two.  Didn't like the father character, didn't like Niles, didn't like Daphne...  I don't know; Frazier to me is Josh McDaniels; fantastic at his support role, one of several odd characters in a bar, but didn't work as the main man.   I'm not hearing much here that makes me want to watch this.

I didn't watch either show regularly when they aired.  I started watching Frasier recently and absolutely loved it.  It could have gone on several more seasons.  I then went back and watched Cheers.  It had its moments, but it was VERY dated and didn't age well.  I had a hard time getting through it and felt like it went on a few seasons too long.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3324 on: November 22, 2023, 02:02:58 PM »
Frazier was one of those characters that was great in small doses as an ensemble. 
I agree with this wholeheartedly.  Frazier's solo show never appealed to me whatsoever.