Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 222549 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #3220 on: October 23, 2023, 08:50:15 AM »
2 Episodes into The Fall of the House of Usher - so far so good.

5 episodes in and it's quite the ride! It's kinda nuts but my wife and I are enjoying it a ton. Hoping to finish it this weekend.

Starting that tonight!

Watched the first two episodes last night with friends, we liked it a lot. There's a little bit of Nicolas Winding Refn in there I think, influence wise.

I may have convinced my gf to watch this show.  She won't do horror, but she said it looks good enough to try and we just can't watch it as the last show before bed  :lol

We started watching the Golden Bachelor and season 2 of Boardwalk Empire last night.  We also finished Love is Blind on Friday.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3221 on: October 24, 2023, 09:48:47 AM »
Watched the first 2 episodes of Season 3 of Upload. Saw a story with Greg Daniels where he mentioned they were supposed to start writing Season 4 in May but the strike got in the way. Says they plan to start up next month. Guess Amazon already gave him the green light even though no announcement yet.

I have become really gun shy on starting any new show these days. I blame Netflix and their cancel every single show after 1 season method. I just can't bring myself to dive in. I find myself going to old shows that are complete and have a proper ending. I go as far as to check if the show ended on a cliffhanger or got a proper ending. I feel anything else is a waste.

With that said, I am 7 seasons into Stargate SG-1 and I plan on moving on to the other 2 shows as well.

I watched all the Stargate shows with the family a few years back and we really liked them all. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3222 on: October 24, 2023, 11:54:24 AM »
Watched the first 2 episodes of Season 3 of Upload. Saw a story with Greg Daniels where he mentioned they were supposed to start writing Season 4 in May but the strike got in the way. Says they plan to start up next month. Guess Amazon already gave him the green light even though no announcement yet.

I have become really gun shy on starting any new show these days. I blame Netflix and their cancel every single show after 1 season method. I just can't bring myself to dive in. I find myself going to old shows that are complete and have a proper ending. I go as far as to check if the show ended on a cliffhanger or got a proper ending. I feel anything else is a waste.

With that said, I am 7 seasons into Stargate SG-1 and I plan on moving on to the other 2 shows as well.

I watched all the Stargate shows with the family a few years back and we really liked them all.

Yep....all those Stargate shows were really fun....liked them a LOT!

As far as Upload goes....I saw that S3 has dropped....will get to that soon as that's a fun one as well. I'm just surprised that there'd be a S4? Don't know how far you can take that show and kind of thought that S3 would be it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3223 on: October 26, 2023, 12:36:26 AM »
I may take the plunge on 'For All Mankind' as well on Apple. I've heard good things, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Started this last night. Was hooked pretty much immediately. Cool premise…..I dig a lot of the actors as well. Looks like I’ll be busy for a couple weeks blasting through these three seasons.

Jammed out those three seasons….30 episodes…….not my most efficient binge but it was 30 episodes in 8 days

All in all the series is good. Some minor gripes here and there but it’s an interesting premise. S4 hits November 10th.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3224 on: October 26, 2023, 12:09:04 PM »
Two episodes into the new season of Bosch: Legacy.  So far, so good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3225 on: October 26, 2023, 12:31:28 PM »

Are the Bosch shows based off of books? I've seen this show mentioned and praised but haven't taken the plunge. If I did....where is the starting point. Bosch:Legacy makes it sound like there was a lot before that?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3226 on: October 26, 2023, 01:39:54 PM »

Are the Bosch shows based off of books? I've seen this show mentioned and praised but haven't taken the plunge. If I did....where is the starting point. Bosch:Legacy makes it sound like there was a lot before that?
They are.  Bosch was a series on Prime, based on the series of novels by Michael Connolly.  Good stuff, cop/crime.

At the end of the contract with Prime, several actors and producers were keen to continue making Bosch stories.  A new show was created that is on Amazon's free subsidiary, Freevee.  Bosch: Legacy.  Still based on the novels.  All of the same actors in the same roles.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3227 on: October 26, 2023, 01:47:17 PM »

They are.  Bosch was a series on Prime, based on the series of novels by Michael Connolly.  Good stuff, cop/crime.

At the end of the contract with Prime, several actors and producers were keen to continue making Bosch stories.  A new show was created that is on Amazon's free subsidiary, Freevee.  Bosch: Legacy.  Still based on the novels.  All of the same actors in the same roles.

:tup

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #3228 on: October 29, 2023, 04:32:13 PM »
Gen V

Fantastic.

Also, I wanna re-watch My Name is Earl
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3229 on: October 29, 2023, 06:31:33 PM »
Watched the first 2 episodes of Season 3 of Upload.

I'm caught up on the 4 episodes that are available. I've really liked the show a lot....and I say that to say thus far this season has been a pretty big snoozefest. I find myself scrolling on my phone most of the episodes. They're getting nowhere....and have taken a step back as far as the fun/cute relationship between the main two characters and none of the ancillary stories are interesting at all. I will say the most enjoyable part of the show is the guy who plays all the AI at the resort....he seems like he has a fun job....but the rest is just pretty boring honestly. I know it's not supposed to be Godfather level writing and what not but the spark and uniqueness of what made it fun hasn't appeared yet this season.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3230 on: October 30, 2023, 02:19:16 AM »
I'm too watching Upload, and I've started The Peripheral. Two episodes in, it's interesting, I hope it doesn't crumble under the weight of its own story.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3231 on: October 31, 2023, 09:28:04 AM »
Rewatching The Wire.  The show I normally cite as my favorite show, this is the 3rd watch - but I haven't watched it since probably 2010.  Tentatively started this watch wondering if it holds up - I'm now 10 episodes in and yeah it really, really holds up.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3232 on: October 31, 2023, 10:15:06 AM »
Rewatching The Wire.  The show I normally cite as my favorite show, this is the 3rd watch - but I haven't watched it since probably 2010.  Tentatively started this watch wondering if it holds up - I'm now 10 episodes in and yeah it really, really holds up.

I feel ashamed to admit I've never watched this one. I've heard great things about it....but just haven't ever pulled the trigger on it.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3233 on: October 31, 2023, 02:03:28 PM »

I feel ashamed to admit I've never watched this one. I've heard great things about it....but just haven't ever pulled the trigger on it.

Same here, I know it's critically acclaimed and from time to time you stumble upon lists of the best shows ever and The Wire is always on it. Maybe some day..... (just like The Sopranos)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3234 on: October 31, 2023, 02:09:45 PM »

Same here, I know it's critically acclaimed and from time to time you stumble upon lists of the best shows ever and The Wire is always on it. Maybe some day..... (just like The Sopranos)

The Wire is constantly recommended to me.  I may finally watch it.  Nothing but "best tv show ever" type of comments are all I've heard.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3235 on: October 31, 2023, 05:51:13 PM »
The Wire is just stupid good, worthy of all the praise it receives.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3236 on: October 31, 2023, 06:44:51 PM »
The Wire is just stupid good, worthy of all the praise it receives.

Why? Maybe I will have time to watch it one day :lol

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3237 on: October 31, 2023, 09:26:27 PM »
The Wire is a great show and probably in my top 10 of all drama shows. That said as with all shows and how hype plays a role, you're bound to be disappointed when first watching it. I kept hearing how transcending and amazing and orgasmic the show is when I watched it and was very disappointed on my first watch. This show is a very slow burn type of show. It's very heavy at times and deals with some real problems of society. Each season takes on a different societal aspect, eg season 1 is mainly about the gang culture and its prevalence in Baltimore, another season deals with the education system etc.. The show isn't judgmental about who is right or wrong, it just shows how things are in life, complicated and very multi-layered. If I remember correctly some of the actors on the show got very involved with social work in the city to help out.

There a lot of famous actors on the show but at the time they were nobodys.

On my first watch I wasn't really hooked at all, I kept watching for the greatness to come. IMO what makes the show great is how well fleshed out the characters are, the show is very layered. It shows police and detective work at a very down to the nuts levels and shows how a ton of it is boring procedural just waiting around for nothing type of work. There are a lot of characters and the changing power dynamics are a great watch.

I would highly recommend people to watch the show but know that it's not flashy or boombastic or has a ton of action or super binge worthy. I probably am making it sound boring but it truly isn't, I've seen it 3-4 times and with each viewing it gets better and better.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3238 on: October 31, 2023, 09:46:21 PM »
For the record…just like any other show…the new Frasier was just cute and finding its feet for a few episodes. (Introducing new characters…etc…etc) But I honestly think this show is good.  It might be just me. There is a nostalgia factor, but I’m honestly a little amazed that they managed to just tell another chapter of Frasier’s life and it honestly feels like there is actually more to tell.

Or maybe it’s the rum and cider.  :D
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3239 on: November 01, 2023, 09:31:33 AM »
For the record…just like any other show…the new Frasier was just cute and finding its feet for a few episodes. (Introducing new characters…etc…etc) But I honestly think this show is good.  It might be just me. There is a nostalgia factor, but I’m honestly a little amazed that they managed to just tell another chapter of Frasier’s life and it honestly feels like there is actually more to tell.

Or maybe it’s the rum and cider.  :D

I wrote a while back about how I watched the original show - I think for the first time.  It was fantastic and, IMO, significantly better than Cheers.  I've watched the first three episodes of the "reboot" (not sure if more have been released), and I've really enjoyed them.  It's obviously not the same show since the only returning characters are Frasier and Freddy (who was only a child in the original and now is in his early 30s).  The whole bit with his first few classes at Harvard was a bit farcical for my taste, but I think it's been really good and am looking forward to seeing more.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3240 on: November 01, 2023, 09:32:58 AM »
The Wire is a great show and probably in my top 10 of all drama shows. That said as with all shows and how hype plays a role, you're bound to be disappointed when first watching it. I kept hearing how transcending and amazing and orgasmic the show is when I watched it and was very disappointed on my first watch. This show is a very slow burn type of show. It's very heavy at times and deals with some real problems of society. Each season takes on a different societal aspect, eg season 1 is mainly about the gang culture and its prevalence in Baltimore, another season deals with the education system etc.. The show isn't judgmental about who is right or wrong, it just shows how things are in life, complicated and very multi-layered. If I remember correctly some of the actors on the show got very involved with social work in the city to help out.

There a lot of famous actors on the show but at the time they were nobodys.

On my first watch I wasn't really hooked at all, I kept watching for the greatness to come. IMO what makes the show great is how well fleshed out the characters are, the show is very layered. It shows police and detective work at a very down to the nuts levels and shows how a ton of it is boring procedural just waiting around for nothing type of work. There are a lot of characters and the changing power dynamics are a great watch.

I would highly recommend people to watch the show but know that it's not flashy or boombastic or has a ton of action or super binge worthy. I probably am making it sound boring but it truly isn't, I've seen it 3-4 times and with each viewing it gets better and better.

On the contrary, I found this post quite informative, a proper way to set realistic expectations  :tup

My main take away is "ok, it's absolutely great, just don't expect the most exciting and action-packed moments from Breaking Bad".

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3241 on: November 01, 2023, 09:42:34 AM »
Breaking Bad was an incredible slow and non action packed show in it's early seasons.

That description of the Wire reminds me a bit of how I feel watching a lot of the best HBO show.  It's not about action or flashiness, it should be a bout a well written story with great acting.  Been watching Boardwalk Empire which has some action, but it's usually just a kill here or there.  But the storyline and dialogue are really what you are there for. 

Offline krands85

« Reply #3242 on: November 01, 2023, 12:18:22 PM »
The most impressive thing about The Wire to me, is the number of outstanding characters in it. With most shows, you can probably pick out just a handful that would be in the running for your favourite character. If you asked people to pick a top 3 characters from The Wire, it would not only be tough to narrow it down, but there would be so many different characters suggested.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3243 on: November 01, 2023, 09:50:10 PM »
Pluto. Adaptation of the manga by Naoki Urasawa, so far it's really well made.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3244 on: November 02, 2023, 03:04:56 AM »
Double horror feature.

THE BOY - Quite decent after all. Creepy and unsettling enough, and I liked the ending.

HELLRAISER - The original one, never saw it. Eh, not my cup of tea. Also, going into it blind, I thought the Pinhead guy was the protagonist, turns out you don't see him that much.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3245 on: November 02, 2023, 07:08:32 AM »
The most impressive thing about The Wire to me, is the number of outstanding characters in it. With most shows, you can probably pick out just a handful that would be in the running for your favourite character. If you asked people to pick a top 3 characters from The Wire, it would not only be tough to narrow it down, but there would be so many different characters suggested.

That is true, there are so many excellent character with their own quirks and so many quotable lines from them. I think some of the minor cop characters are the best.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3246 on: November 07, 2023, 08:48:36 AM »
Couldn't find a dedicated Reacher thread.  S2 trailer is up.  Starts Dec 15th.

:caffeine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC-rRhQcnlI
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3247 on: November 07, 2023, 08:57:02 AM »
My current line-up:

- Just finished The Peripheral. It's no Westworld season 1 but it's interesting.
- About to finish the original The Office. Yup, the UK one with Rick Gervais. It's funny to realize where all the US Office characters came from.
- Started GenV, 2 episodes in.
- Started Nine Perfect Strangers (with Nicole Kidman), 1 episode in.
- Following Upload whenever new episodes are available.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3248 on: November 07, 2023, 09:03:47 AM »
So my gf and I finished watching a terrible Netflix reality TV show.  Called Surviving Paradise.  We both kind of enjoy some of this shit reality TV, but this was really bad.  Makes me wonder if this was what we were about to get a lot of if the writer strike kept going. At least it was short, I realized about 2 episodes in that this wasn't going to be good but it was a quick enough watch to just finish.

Big Brother finishes this week, I thought this season was fairly boring after the halfway point as it became very clear the two guys where going to run the house easily, as they did. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3249 on: November 07, 2023, 09:05:32 AM »

Count me in!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3250 on: November 07, 2023, 11:01:13 AM »

Hell yes!  Finally!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3251 on: November 07, 2023, 11:31:38 AM »

Awesome!!!!

I was ticked to see that this wasn't releasing until December 15th.....then I realized that is like a month away  :lol   Holy crap this year flew by......

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3252 on: November 07, 2023, 08:10:40 PM »
Watching JFK: One Day in America on Disney+.  Fascinating documentary about the day of JFK's assassination told by the living survivors of people who took part in the day's events - secret service agents, press, police, Oswald's coworker, etc. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3253 on: November 08, 2023, 04:41:07 AM »
So my gf and I finished watching a terrible Netflix reality TV show.  Called Surviving Paradise.  We both kind of enjoy some of this shit reality TV, but this was really bad.  Makes me wonder if this was what we were about to get a lot of if the writer strike kept going. At least it was short, I realized about 2 episodes in that this wasn't going to be good but it was a quick enough watch to just finish.

Big Brother finishes this week, I thought this season was fairly boring after the halfway point as it became very clear the two guys where going to run the house easily, as they did.

This is evidence that "unscripted" TV is in fact, scripted.

Watching JFK: One Day in America on Disney+.  Fascinating documentary about the day of JFK's assassination told by the living survivors of people who took part in the day's events - secret service agents, press, police, Oswald's coworker, etc. 

This sounds fascinating.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #3254 on: November 08, 2023, 06:22:57 AM »

That is true, there are so many excellent character with their own quirks and so many quotable lines from them. I think some of the minor cop characters are the best.

The Wire and Deadwood are my 2 favorite series.  It was fun watching Deadwood for the first time years after it was on HBO and seeing the characters I had watched later in their careers.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.