Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 222534 times)

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #3010 on: August 10, 2023, 01:59:39 PM »
Justified City Primeval; nice companion to the original series and the writing is fantastic thus far.  Anything Yost touches is good for my taste... same with Elmore Leonard source material.  Nice to see Raylan again.  I have an itch that Raylan may not live through this one.

Anybody with an itch for British comedy should check out Spaced.  Two seasons of pure gold that spawned the Cornetto trilogy.  My wife and I can basically quote the entire series by heart... kind of became a new Seinfeld for us.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3011 on: August 10, 2023, 05:06:07 PM »
The Bear is awesome. Highly recommended. A rollercoaster of emotions and just fantastic characters. I really love the way it is made, it doesn't dump information on the viewer and you need to piece together who everyone is and their relationships and backgrounds from their interactions. A brilliant show and season 2 is amazing.

S1 is great.  Episode 7 of S1 was just fucking dynamite.

Indeed it was!

Offline The Realm

« Reply #3012 on: August 10, 2023, 05:19:58 PM »
Justified City Primeval; nice companion to the original series and the writing is fantastic thus far.  Anything Yost touches is good for my taste... same with Elmore Leonard source material.  Nice to see Raylan again.  I have an itch that Raylan may not live through this one.

Agree, really enjoying Justified City Primeval. Great show, really nice character beats. Boyd Holbrook is great, a really compelling villain.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3013 on: August 12, 2023, 07:32:22 PM »
Ran through the limited series Painkiller on Netflix, story about the Oxy epidemic, similar to Dopesick for those who saw that. Very good show. Still scary as fuck what Perdue did in this whole fiasco.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3014 on: August 13, 2023, 05:25:44 AM »
When I had lymphoma in 2001/2002, I was on oxy.  Half way through the chemo, I asked to get off of it. They told me to only take a pill in the early evening. By 4pm, my body was screaming for it.

That's controlled and not  rushing it. Scary as all hell.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3015 on: August 13, 2023, 06:10:26 PM »
Just getting into the 1ST season of Warrior on Max. Where have I been with this show. I absolutely love it.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 06:53:12 PM by Kinger »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3016 on: August 14, 2023, 08:04:01 AM »
Continuing on with The Bear S2...

Man, E6 was intense!

Loved the Marcus-focused episode too.

Definitely agree with the comments here - great show. Hoping to finish S2 tonight or tomorrow...

Offline The Realm

« Reply #3017 on: August 14, 2023, 05:35:17 PM »
Continuing on with The Bear S2...

Man, E6 was intense!

Loved the Marcus-focused episode too.

Definitely agree with the comments here - great show. Hoping to finish S2 tonight or tomorrow...

Yes episode 6 is extremely intense and so much to take in. Episode 7 rules all though. I absolutely love that one and is a great change of pace after 6.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #3018 on: August 15, 2023, 06:10:23 AM »
This is Us, Manifest and Good Omens 2
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3019 on: August 15, 2023, 06:13:11 AM »
Anybody with an itch for British comedy should check out Spaced.  Two seasons of pure gold that spawned the Cornetto trilogy.  My wife and I can basically quote the entire series by heart... kind of became a new Seinfeld for us.

Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like... fuckin'... Shaft!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3020 on: August 15, 2023, 06:16:15 AM »
We have started season 2 of The Lincoln Lawyer on Netflix.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3021 on: August 15, 2023, 06:19:43 AM »
2 episodes in to Shrinking.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3022 on: August 15, 2023, 09:31:06 AM »
This is Us, Manifest and Good Omens 2

LOVED the first one, just finished the second (jury's out), never saw the third.

Let us (me?) know what you think of the first two!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3023 on: August 15, 2023, 09:36:50 AM »
Just started Good Omens myself.  Big fan of the novel, but I just never got around to the show. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3024 on: August 15, 2023, 09:49:26 AM »
Just started Good Omens myself.  Big fan of the novel, but I just never got around to the show.

RJ pimped it hard on me a couple years back.  I tried a couple episodes, but it just didn't click.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3025 on: August 15, 2023, 09:53:03 AM »

RJ pimped it hard on me a couple years back.  I tried a couple episodes, but it just didn't click.

My gf suggested this recently and we watched the trailer and I didn't find it interesting.  Maybe we will check it out eventually.

We're also almost done with Season 1 of Boardwalk Empire.  She's never seen it and I've only watched it once when it aired so I mostly forget all the details.  It's been a lot of fun watching this again. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3026 on: August 15, 2023, 02:08:34 PM »

My gf suggested this recently and we watched the trailer and I didn't find it interesting.  Maybe we will check it out eventually.

We're also almost done with Season 1 of Boardwalk Empire.  She's never seen it and I've only watched it once when it aired so I mostly forget all the details.  It's been a lot of fun watching this again.

Boardwalk Empire was so fun to watch.  I loved Al Capone - "I need a bath, some grub, then you and me sit down and decide who dies."  Such great stories every season.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3027 on: August 15, 2023, 02:10:31 PM »
I'm looking forward to Hightown Season 3.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3028 on: August 15, 2023, 06:44:21 PM »

Agree, really enjoying Justified City Primeval. Great show, really nice character beats. Boyd Holbrook is great, a really compelling villain.

He plays characters that are complex and dark so well.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3029 on: August 16, 2023, 06:31:18 AM »

I'm finding it interesting.  I love the source material, and I love the actors involved in the show, but for some reason I'm not liking it as much as I thought I would.

Could be that it's just better in novel form.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3030 on: August 16, 2023, 08:01:39 AM »
My son and I binged 'Jury Duty' last night. Thought it was pretty good.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3031 on: August 17, 2023, 10:42:00 AM »
The Mrs. and I watched the first two episodes of Season Two of Winning Time last night.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3032 on: August 17, 2023, 12:33:49 PM »
The Mrs. and I watched the first two episodes of Season Two of Winning Time last night.
I need to get on that.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3033 on: August 19, 2023, 12:56:45 PM »
Started Twisted Metal on Peacock last night. What a gonzo show! It's from the dudes that wrote the first 2 Deadpool films (I think they did the Zombieland stuff too).

No nothing of the game but am really enjoying the show so far.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3034 on: August 19, 2023, 04:21:25 PM »
I played the second game a ton way back in the day (OG Playstation) but nothing else. I've only watched I think three episodes of the show so far, had to pause to finish my Ahsoka prep, but I'm a fan so far. It's not high cinema but it's a lot of fun.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3035 on: August 21, 2023, 10:34:35 AM »
We don't have peacock but the trailer for Twisted Metal looked like it could be funny.  My gf definitely wants to watch it so maybe we pick up peacock at some point. 

We finished Jury Duty yesterday.  Funny show.  That guy got played, but he was a good sport.  Luckily for him too, he seemed like a super nice guy throughout the show.  Imagine you did something dick during that time?  :lol

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #3036 on: August 21, 2023, 11:00:56 AM »
Suits has been fun, but I’m 6 seasons in and I think it’s jumped the shark. Oh well.

Time to rewatch Mr. Robot.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3037 on: August 21, 2023, 01:24:28 PM »
Well...I finished Cheers over the weekend.

From the point of view of someone who binged it over the course of a few months, I felt it went on about 2-3 seasons too long.  Sam had virtually no character growth.  Rebecca started out as a good character, but she became ridiculous.  Woody was solid for his entire run.  Cliff and Norm were solid, but they obviously weren't the stars.  Frasier and Lilith were mostly stellar - particularly Lilith.  Diane's return at the end was nice, but I think the story they wrote for them was pretty flat.  I particularly enjoyed the thing they did with John McLaughlin for the 200th episode (Shelley Long looked GREAT with darker hair).

I think I'm glad I watched Frasier first - IMO, it was FAR superior to its predecessor, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the revival when it gets released later this year.

I started watching Wings, but I'm not sure I'll stick with it if it doesn't get more interesting (the first 8 or so episodes have been pretty snoozy, and it had one of the worst theme songs I can think of).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3038 on: August 21, 2023, 01:55:34 PM »
Finished Peaky Blinders - Season One over the weekend. Great stuff. Looking forward to Season Two.

I've started doing a re-watch of Voltron from back in the day, and also Knight Rider. I'm four or five episodes deep on each.

Can't wait for Ahsoka to start on Tuesday night!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3039 on: August 21, 2023, 02:32:37 PM »
I've started doing a re-watch of Voltron from back in the day, and also Knight Rider. I'm four or five episodes deep on each.

I told this story on my Jeopardy appearance:  Back in my junior year of high school, my nextdoor neighbor came over and said they were filming Knight Rider down by the beach (Seal Beach, CA), and he convinced me that we should drive down there and maybe see something.  We drove down to "old town," and nothing was going on.  However, we noticed a bunch of trailers in the beach parking lot, so I parked my car, and we walked down to the beach lot (NO security).  When we got down to the lot, we noticed, in addition to the trailers, 3-4 of the KITT cars parked next to each other.  We walked around a few minutes, and my neighbor got the idea to knock on the trailer doors.  I didn't think anyone would be in them, but we picked on that had a star on it, and David Hasselhoff answered the door.  He and a couple guys were watching the Monday Night Football game (I think it was Raiders at Chargers on 12/1/83).  He came outside and took pictures with us.  He actually invited us to watch the game with them, but we were kind of starstruck and declined.  When you get to the season 2 episode, White-Line Warriors, you'll see old town Seal Beach from 1983.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3040 on: August 21, 2023, 02:42:37 PM »
What an incredible experience!

Don't hassle the Hoff!  :lol

But you did!

Offline The Realm

« Reply #3041 on: August 21, 2023, 03:35:37 PM »

I told this story on my Jeopardy appearance:  Back in my junior year of high school, my nextdoor neighbor came over and said they were filming Knight Rider down by the beach (Seal Beach, CA), and he convinced me that we should drive down there and maybe see something.  We drove down to "old town," and nothing was going on.  However, we noticed a bunch of trailers in the beach parking lot, so I parked my car, and we walked down to the beach lot (NO security).  When we got down to the lot, we noticed, in addition to the trailers, 3-4 of the KITT cars parked next to each other.  We walked around a few minutes, and my neighbor got the idea to knock on the trailer doors.  I didn't think anyone would be in them, but we picked on that had a star on it, and David Hasselhoff answered the door.  He and a couple guys were watching the Monday Night Football game (I think it was Raiders at Chargers on 12/1/83).  He came outside and took pictures with us.  He actually invited us to watch the game with them, but we were kind of starstruck and declined.  When you get to the season 2 episode, White-Line Warriors, you'll see old town Seal Beach from 1983.

Love that story. I was a huge Knight Rider fan when I was a kid.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3042 on: August 21, 2023, 04:37:47 PM »
I just wish I still had the photo.  It was a Polaroid, and he signed it with a ball-point pen, so the signature looked weird.  I have no idea what happened to it, but I'm pretty sure I don't have it anymore.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3043 on: August 21, 2023, 08:17:09 PM »
Well...I finished Cheers over the weekend.

From the point of view of someone who binged it over the course of a few months, I felt it went on about 2-3 seasons too long.  Sam had virtually no character growth.  Rebecca started out as a good character, but she became ridiculous.  Woody was solid for his entire run.  Cliff and Norm were solid, but they obviously weren't the stars.  Frasier and Lilith were mostly stellar - particularly Lilith.  Diane's return at the end was nice, but I think the story they wrote for them was pretty flat.  I particularly enjoyed the thing they did with John McLaughlin for the 200th episode (Shelley Long looked GREAT with darker hair).

I felt the exact same way.  I like the writing of Frasier better than Cheers but I appreciate the ensemble of the cast of Cheers the best.  Cheers was almost like a stage production that was filmed.  Frasier always felt like a sitcom.

I just started watching The Rockford Files.  I remember loving this show but I don't remember many of the episode storylines.  There are a lot of great cameo appearances especially of some veteran character actors.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3044 on: August 21, 2023, 09:03:38 PM »
I started watching Wings, but I'm not sure I'll stick with it if it doesn't get more interesting (the first 8 or so episodes have been pretty snoozy, and it had one of the worst theme songs I can think of).

I was a huge fan of Wings. I don't recall how I felt watching it in real time, but watching reruns over the years definitely made me feel it took a couple years for them to really get their.... sorry, wings. Once they hit their stride, I felt it was a solid sitcom. Maybe not Seinfeld tier, but still highly enjoyable.

I just started watching The Rockford Files.  I remember loving this show but I don't remember many of the episode storylines.  There are a lot of great cameo appearances especially of some veteran character actors.

Not saying this to date you, but my mom loved The Rockford Files when I was a kid, but I can't remember ever watching it. James Garner could be underappreciated, and I say that knowing he is highly regarded for his work on stage and screen. 

I loved Knight Rider. It was maybe my second favorite mid-80s TV show behind The A-Team.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'