Author Topic: Radiohead - The King of Limbs (v. New Thom Yorke solo album out!)  (Read 100825 times)

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
Re: Radiohead - The King of Limbs (v. Omg cant wait for the new album)
« Reply #665 on: June 30, 2011, 04:01:37 PM »
What's wrong about electronic?

Offline Heaven Outcry Angel

• Your majesty
« Reply #666 on: June 30, 2011, 04:03:08 PM »
Electronic stuff can be great but not when it replaces real instruments....
Of course Dream Theater isn't that good. Good music is obviously about 3 minute pop songs and catchy hooks.
Dream Theater aren't that good. Neither was Beethoven, or Mozart, or Bach. Pfft, 20 minute epics. Who needs that?

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #667 on: June 30, 2011, 04:04:26 PM »
Their electronic ventures are mostly excellent.

Electronic stuff can be great but not when it replaces real instruments....
What do you mean?  ???

• Your majesty
« Reply #668 on: June 30, 2011, 04:06:23 PM »
I prefer guitars
Of course Dream Theater isn't that good. Good music is obviously about 3 minute pop songs and catchy hooks.
Dream Theater aren't that good. Neither was Beethoven, or Mozart, or Bach. Pfft, 20 minute epics. Who needs that?

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #669 on: June 30, 2011, 04:08:05 PM »
There's a lot of great electronic music out there. An instrument not being a guitar or a drum kit does not disqualify it as a "real instrument," whatever that means.

You might be surprised at how much electronic music you'll enjoy if you give it an honest chance with an open mind.

• Your majesty
« Reply #670 on: June 30, 2011, 04:09:46 PM »
Alright.... do you have any suggestions? from Radiohead or otherwise :)

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #671 on: June 30, 2011, 04:13:18 PM »
I'm confused because you called Kid A "a classic" then went on to say you don't like their electronic stuff.  :huh:

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #672 on: June 30, 2011, 04:13:58 PM »
In Rainbows is a good balance of Radiohead's electronic music with more organic instruments, like guitars. I think you might like it.

Depeche Mode are also great. They were the band that popularized it in the 80s. They're very dark, musically and lyrically, and have a lot of gothic influences.

Nine Inch Nails, my favorite, incorporate electronic, rock, metal, goth, and a whole variety of other genres as well. Trent Reznor is a mastermind, and probably my first flirting with anything electronic.

You might like Pendulum as well. Very lush, upbeat, and catchy electro-rock music. They have a decent following on here, I think.

• Your majesty
« Reply #673 on: June 30, 2011, 04:15:33 PM »
I'm confused because you called Kid A "a classic" then went on to say you don't like their electronic stuff.  :huh:

whoops.... I meant OK computer!! editting post

and I will check those out thank you Raven :)

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #674 on: June 30, 2011, 04:18:20 PM »
Ahh, ok that makes more sense now!  :tup

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #675 on: June 30, 2011, 05:22:30 PM »
You might like Pendulum as well. Very lush, upbeat, and catchy electro-rock music. They have a decent following on here, I think.

Biggest fan on the forum reporting in.  :hat

• Your majesty
« Reply #676 on: June 30, 2011, 05:26:55 PM »
In Rainbows is a good balance of Radiohead's electronic music with more organic instruments, like guitars. I think you might like it.

Depeche Mode are also great. They were the band that popularized it in the 80s. They're very dark, musically and lyrically, and have a lot of gothic influences.

Nine Inch Nails, my favorite, incorporate electronic, rock, metal, goth, and a whole variety of other genres as well. Trent Reznor is a mastermind, and probably my first flirting with anything electronic.

In rainbows was ok, not my thing though. NIN.... LOLOL that guy cant sing a note.... Pendulum.... ehhh.... fun but not really music. I liked Depeche though

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #677 on: June 30, 2011, 05:32:20 PM »
In rainbows was ok, not my thing though. NIN.... LOLOL that guy cant sing a note.... Pendulum.... ehhh.... fun but not really music. I liked Depeche though

I'm glad someone finally defined what is music and what is not.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #678 on: June 30, 2011, 05:35:12 PM »

>:( >:( >:(

Oh well, you can say you've tried.

• Your majesty
« Reply #679 on: June 30, 2011, 05:46:20 PM »
Im actually liking some of these NIN ones where he isnt screaming

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #680 on: June 30, 2011, 06:18:47 PM »
Pendulum isn't really music?? Trent can't sing?? :lol

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #681 on: June 30, 2011, 07:08:14 PM »
really? Kid A is like one of the most groundbreaking and best albums ever. any fan of music should be able to take something out of it.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

• Your majesty
« Reply #682 on: June 30, 2011, 07:10:58 PM »
thats pretty rude if your implying Im not a fan of music

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #683 on: June 30, 2011, 07:36:07 PM »

A lot of us are just struggling to wrap our heads around some of your more... controversial, opinions.

I mean, "Pendulum..... fun but not really music.", doesn't make the slightest bit of sense. Because something is electronic in nature it doesn't qualify as music? That's not only a narrow minded way to think about music, it is objectively wrong.

Or because Trent Reznor isn't wailing high notes like most prog singers he's a bad singer? Can't you hear the passion/ emotion he puts into his performance? There's a lot more to singing than technical abilities.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

• Your majesty
« Reply #684 on: June 30, 2011, 08:01:32 PM »
Or because Trent Reznor isn't wailing high notes like most prog singers he's a bad singer?

why do you guys keep acting presumptious and putting words in my mouth?? I never said that i listen to a lot of bands without high vocalists i like thrash

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #685 on: June 30, 2011, 08:10:21 PM »
Guys, be nice. We all were prog snobs sometime in the past. I think I'm not the only one that used to be lolelectronics. That was quite a while back though  :millahhhh.

• Your majesty
« Reply #686 on: June 30, 2011, 08:12:39 PM »
Guys, be nice. We all were prog snobs sometime in the past. I think I'm not the only one that used to be lolelectronics. That was quite a while back though  :millahhhh.

thank you. Like I said i liked some of the stuff Raven told me to listen to I dont think its all bad

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #687 on: June 30, 2011, 09:00:41 PM »
Or because Trent Reznor isn't wailing high notes like most prog singers he's a bad singer?

why do you guys keep acting presumptious and putting words in my mouth?? I never said that i listen to a lot of bands without high vocalists i like thrash

I'm sorry about that, I was making an assumption because I haven't really gotten to know you're taste in music. Every now and then we get a new member that goes on a crusade against anything that isn't prog metal. I figured this was going to be another one of those debates and just followed suit. I'll give you the Trent Reznor criticism then. Sometimes a singers voice just doesn't work out for everyone. YOu did mention that you liked some of his work though, so maybe the rest of it will grow on you.

I think my Pendulum comment is still a pretty valid one though.
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #688 on: June 30, 2011, 09:14:16 PM »
Anyways, to get some Radiohead discussion going again, I've heard all their albums but Pablo Honey, Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief. I like all of them enough I'm interested in hearing the rest but nothing has really blown my mind like it has for many of you. I can completely understand all of the praise they get and deserve though.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #689 on: June 30, 2011, 10:41:33 PM »

I wasn't. Simply saying that the album is so diverse and sprawling that I can't imagine anyone listening to the entire thing and not finding at least one moment that they didn't like.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #690 on: June 30, 2011, 10:43:02 PM »
I dunno if I'd called Kid A diverse. It's got variety but only within its own sect of electronic rock.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #691 on: June 30, 2011, 10:45:41 PM »
I dunno if I'd called Kid A diverse. It's got variety but only within its own sect of electronic rock.

This

If we were talking OK Computer I'd agree.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #692 on: June 30, 2011, 10:53:27 PM »
Really? I think that OK Computer is a lot less diverse than Kid A.

OK Computer has the same vibe going throughout. With Kid A, every song is a completely different feeling. You've got the laid back EITRP, the zany and chaotic TNA, the depressing and melancholy HTDC and plenty other ones.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #693 on: June 30, 2011, 10:58:11 PM »
Maybe I should give it another listen or two. I've heard a bunch of their albums but I'm not really super familiar with most of them yet.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #694 on: July 01, 2011, 03:37:10 AM »

thank you. Like I said i liked some of the stuff Raven told me to listen to I dont think its all bad
Just listen to BT's This Binary Universe in the best quality you can find, with the best headphones you have.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline jag66

« Reply #695 on: July 01, 2011, 04:43:16 AM »

Biggest fan on the forum reporting in.  :hat

Have you seem them live? They really come into their own live IMO (as long as it's not a DJ set).

Anyway, Radiohead have utterly mastered guitar based and electronic music - Not many bands can claim to this (and no to all the indie electro bands around today, directly replacing guitars with keyboards doesn't count).

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #696 on: July 01, 2011, 05:11:22 AM »
I would never call Pendulum electro though. They're... how do you said that... like considered the "head" of drum and bass here. Representative of it and kind of made it what it is now.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Slain

« Reply #697 on: July 01, 2011, 06:08:35 AM »

I'd also highly recommend Infected Mushroom if you're already into DT (obviously), their later stuff is sort of... Progressive Trance? Kind of hard to explain until you hear it. Check out Legend of the Black Shawarma
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline jag66

« Reply #698 on: July 01, 2011, 06:13:37 AM »
I would never call Pendulum electro though. They're... how do you said that... like considered the "head" of drum and bass here. Representative of it and kind of made it what it is now.

I'd say their first album was more Drum n' bass, not sure what you'd call it now. Reasonably unique blend of DnB/synths/rock. Fairly similar to some of The Prodigy's work.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #699 on: July 01, 2011, 06:20:03 AM »
Have you seem them live? They really come into their own live IMO (as long as it's not a DJ set).

Not yet sadly, the closest I've come is the Brixton DVD.